Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched Avengers Endgame for the first time this weekend.

It was a good movie and the 3 hours flew by, yet I wasn't completely satisfied.
Everyone got their touching blasts from the past and that was great. :unsmith:
I was mostly disappointed by the lack of fighting scenes from the original avengers. Only Thor and Captain America got some good fights in. (excellent for the latter)
Tony just fell down and stayed out of all fights except for a brief moment when he teams up with Iron Pepper. (who was awesome)
I just love Iron Mans fighting style in these movies and I will miss him. Maybe Pepper will show up some more or they'll write Riri in.

Hulk was also weirdly handled. Hulk no want to play! Suddenly professor Hulk! Also no fights for him!
After all the smashing in previous movies and being the brawn of the team, he suddenly has to be the brain of the team, which means that the final fight we see him participate in was getting his poo poo kicked in by Thanos. Feels very much like Worf effect.
Which in the future is probably going to bite them in the rear end with Captain Marvel tanking a headbutt with a smile. (Even if it was a fun little moment)
It could mean the next guy has to be significantly more powerful to be a threat (which means the others can't do anything) or they're going to have to write her away so the other can have a time to shine. Or maybe the writers will fix it in a novel way, Marvel has surprised me often enough in the past in that regard. I never expected to like Captain America for example and yet here I am.

I developed a big soft spot for Hawkeye over the movies and I loved him (and Nat!) even more in this movie. I look forward to his outing on Disney+.

I really hope Thor is going to keep hanging out with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Comedy gold right there.
Has Chris Hemsworth said anything about reprising his Thor role? Ragnarok was brilliant and his parts in Endgame and Infinity war were amazing.

Despite all that, this probably marks the end for me of actively following the Marvel universe (except maybe Thor/Guardians of the Galaxy), I'm just a little tired of the Marvel formula, but it was a good finish. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

tbh Hemsworth is one of the bright things to come out of the mcu project. He’s so good. We all knew Evans and RDJ were good but ragnarok really brought out the talent.
Agreed.

Jedit posted:

Hemsworth is out of contract, but he has said that he'd love to do Asgardians of the Galaxy.

Maybe Gunn will keep him in. :ohdear: I'd imagine he would like him in considering the tone of current Thor at least comes close to the tone of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
ready for endgame 2?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I want to live in your wonderful country where ticketprices didn't change.

Our local Movie Theater is in a death spiral of it's own. Less people go to the movies, so they raise the prices so less people go the movies.
Tell me again why I need to pay €10-15 for a movie ticket.

Shudie posted:

"The reason that focus groups and capitalist feedback system fail, even when they generate commodities that are immensely popular, is that people do not know what they want. ... Rather, the most powerful forms of desire are precisely cravings for the strange, the unexpected, the weird. These can only be supplied by artists and media professionals who are prepared to give people something different from that which already satisfies them; by those, that is to say, prepared to take a certain kind of risk. ... the affects that predominate in late capitalism are fear and cynicism. These emotions do not inspire bold thinking or entrepreneurial leaps, they breed conformity and the cult of the minimal variation, the turning out of products which very closely resemble those that are already successful."
-Mark Fisher
This is a great quote, thank you for sharing. It's so incredibly applicable to the state of Star Wars movies it's amazing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I seem to recall reading that Tobey was also hard to work with on set and a bit of a dick despite looking like a sweet dork.

Incidentally, he has a bad back.