Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hat Thoughts posted:

The steaks have never been higher

you're thinking of the sequel to Sausage Party, not Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

To recreate this with RDJ that girl gonna have to be like, 4’6”

just get Marsai Martin now and hope she doesn't grow any more.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i mean to be fair the effects work in the Transformers movies is like, the cream of the crop

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

After thinking on it a bit, while there's a lot wrong with Infinity War, what really, really sucked was how they undid Thor: Ragnarok, which is one of the very best MCU films (I mean that's not a high bar we all know, but still).

-Thor losing an eye was cool. Oh well, Rocket gives him a new one.
-Thor finds out he doesn't need Mjolnir, he was the loving god of thunder with or without it. Oh, Thanos beat him up? Nevermind, he needs a new Kratos axe.
-Where the gently caress did Korg go?
-"Asgard is not a place, it's a people. But those people are dead now."
-We're ready for rad as gently caress space adventures on this awesome loving spaceship that Thanos destroys like ten minutes after we leave Asgard, cool bro.
-Thor stops being the silly, fun Thor from Ragnarok and reverts to being the boring, stoic Thor from the lovely first two Thor movies.

I hope if/when they make Thor 4, they just pretend Infinity War/Endgame didn't happen.

edit: this is the potential badass space opera we were cheated out of

i know you shared this picture to be like "man look what we're missing" but boy that's a really awkward looking shot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bedshaped posted:

Well you're wrong about that specific shot. It's not only not a bad shot, it's a very good shot.

e:

Obviously, Thor is the focal point. Narratively, he's just assumed the position of leader for the first time. Both the accord between the background and the position of the foreground and background subjects reinforces the substance of his new position.

Thor is not looking forward, he's looking down and away, conveying unease or fear of his new position; a lack of confidence as a leader who is not there by choice, but rather as the inevitability of circumstance. Hulk is also positioned the same, a fear that he is losing control over his ability to distinguish between Banner and Hulk and a fear that one personality (namely Hulk) will permanently override the other.

Two characters are looking at Thor, one representing the old Asgard and one representing the new; both depending on Thor for leadership and guidance. Two characters are looking above and forward, Thor's comrades. Loki, appearing irresolute, conveys the uneasy rekindling of brotherhood and the betrayal that still remains beneath the surface. The other, steadfast, unyielding, loyal and as a paragon of duty.

The shot effectively summarises the full range of character progression. Although the Russo's hosed it all up.

the staging is fine, it just clearly looks like 6 people standing in front of a flat green screen background, who may or may not have been in the room at the same time. generally when you're making a blockbuster you want to avoid looking like that, even if it's how most blockbusters are made

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Being informed of different perspectives is the whole point of discourse.

These shots are well composed.

This shot is badly composed.

The difference is quite clear. You can totally make the badly composed shot look just a cool and competent as the above 3 action shots, but they didn't because I don't know why. Because it's not an action scene I guess.

it should be noted that, when interviewed for the director position for Black Widow, Lucrecia Martel was flat out told that she wouldn't have to worry about the action sequences. Marvel has guys in-house for that, and everything else is the realm of the actual director (which is a lot more about what they get out of actors, which is probably why the Russo's are successful, because they're good at eliciting performances, if not visual direction)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

alright, time for a distraction from the next two weeks or so:

Avengers Endgame Prediction Game
Make a prediction, see if you have a better idea of how MCU movies work than the rest of this forum

What day will we get a real honest to god ending leak?
Will Cap die?
Will Tony die?
What other hero(s) will die?
Do the characters that died in Infinity War who didn't disintegrate come back (Loki, Gamora, etc)?
What heroes will get hosed and not show up/get one token scene and that's it?
Who is the most obscure cameo from another MCU movie?
Who gets the final blow on Thanos?
Will future MCU movie characters be revealed?
Will there be a Captain America at the end of Endgame, and who will it be?
What's the final Rotten Tomatoes score?
How much does it make opening weekend?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

nothing kills your desire to watch leaked footage like the only video available having some douchebag talking over it and pausing every 10 seconds to make dumb jokes

i'll just see it next week

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

there's also an entire reddit that is devoted to Marvel spoilers that has a pretty good description of what it was

at least i think so, like i said the only video i could find of the footage took 10 minutes to show 4 minutes of movie and the other 6 minutes was filled with The Most Annoying Man In The World describing what just happened as if none of the people watching a video have eyes or brains

so what i read could just be bullshit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

What's weird is that, of the people I know who are planning to see it and are excited to do so, none of them has actually said that the movie is going to be good. It's loving weird. It's purely anecdotal, but still.

the funny thing is that if TLJ hadn't been so... polarizing, the last Star Wars movie (7 months from now) would probably be coasting on the same sort of cultural momentum. I suspect Lion King is kind of the same. The idea of them is so positive, and they're all payoffs to years of media consumption, that the actual film qualities don't matter as much. Disney's 2019 is just the world's largest money shot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm going to go and have fun but it won't even be the best movie of April 2019

it is not even going to be the best entry into a long-running media series featuring action, quips and goofy costumes that features a plot centered around time travel that comes out that week

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm actually looking forward to it hearing that it's 3 hours long and has Return of the King level ending fatigue, I've seen so many blockbusters lately get hacked to pieces for the sake of fitting an arbitrary measure that I could go for something more self-indulgent.

you want an indulgent 3 hour comic book film, then have I got the movie for you.

It's called "Batman Versus Superman: The Dawn Of Justice: The Ultimate Cut"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

just totally spoiled myself, and... huh. ok.they probably feel OK doing Natasha dirty because they know a movie is coming but man what a lame way to go. Ditto with basically resetting Peter/Gamora's relationship.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

since captain america is the one who returns the stones i'm wondering how the conversation with soul stone guardian red skull would go

"uhhhh hey dude, remember me"

also how does one even return the soul stone

toss it back down the hole and pray that Nat gets spit back up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mameluke posted:

People...rewatch Marvel movies? These things are like two-hour CSIs for kids.

there are entire cable channels devoted to playing and replaying nothing but CSI, Law and Order, and various other procedurals

so your dumb insult doesn't even make sense

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I really kinda dug most of it. Biggest downside: I think the end battle was a mess, which is a given because they have 30 characters to give little moments to, so they have to have a mass of generic CGI monsters to defeat. I think the whole battle of armies things was stupid and it was stupid when they did it in Infinity War too. Just give us heroes and villains, I don't need hundreds of people filling the screen with random poo poo while it's happening.

I really did like a lot of the character moments though. The first 2/3 of the movie have lots of little wonderful bits, even though two of the three timelines they initially visit take place during two of my least favorite MCU movies. Thor's crisis was interesting and a nice extension of the last couple movies, RDJ had the most to do in the movie and he used every second he had to really wring every last bit of emotion out of Tony Stark. I was less impressed by Hulk, Widow and Hawkeye (the scene in Tokyo felt like bargain basement John Wick), but honestly the biggest surprise for me was Nebula. I remember coming out of the very first Guardians of the Galaxy movie thinking that Karen Gillian couldn't act and quite frankly she might have been the second best performer in Endgame. Even moments that aren't necessarily about her allowed for you to really see her growth, and it helps that she got to play a super-evil version of the same character to really hammer it home.

As for the future of the MCU... It doesn't look all that different honestly. They might deal with the fallout of 50% of the universe coming back after being disappeared for 5 years, but I don't expect too deep a dive into that dynamic.
*Talking about it with others after the movie, I have no idea what the gently caress Far From Home is gonna look like, or if they're gonna address the fact that all of Peter's classmates are still his age
*Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 will likely have little other fallout from this and will look pretty much the same regardless, ditto Doctor Strange 2 (which honestly do we really need that one?)
*Folding Thor into the Guardians is a really fun dynamic but it's taking 2 of their best series from the franchise and making them 1, which seems like a poor use of resources. Also I super-duper hate resetting the Peter/Gamora relationship, the last thing we need is another movie of what we got from Guardians 1/2.
*As for those who haven't been guaranteed a movie, we're apparently getting more Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye in TV format (plus Loki, who we did see escape post-Battle of New York in an alternate dimension with the Tesseract...), and I could see them actually deal with the fallout of this whole thing in those since they'll have a lot of time to fill with story ideas
*my guess is that we see a Captain Falcon and Bucky movie soonish, especially since that would probably be lower budget than the big space movies they have on the horizon.
*Black Widow is dead obviously, but they were talking about making a prequel with her anyways so she's likely going to stay dead.
*Hulk is the biggest question mark for me. It would have made a lot more sense to send him with the Guardians than Thor, given they can't actually make a Hulk movie, but my guess is he'll be the connective tissue of the next phase of things, popping up in different movies for little bits of time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I will say that while I definitely didn’t think of it in the moment (because I’m not really a plothole-focused guy), including two totally separate all-powerful plot devices is really tempting fate with the “wait why didn’t they just...” crowd. I think it’s help slightly by having “you can’t change the past, just visit and bring stuff back” as the rule for time travel but it does sorta make you wonder, especially once Hank Pym is back and you have a fairly limitless supply of Pym Particles.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nope! The quantum machine can't change "the natural laws", but the green gem can. That's what the whole Dr. Strange movie was about.

yeah but how powerful is that stone in Strange's movie? I honestly don't remember.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Well, in the previous Avengers film, it let him create a time loop that goes on for roughly 80 million years. 14 million resets.

does he actually *live* all of those or does he just *see* them? I was under the impression that he just was able to view them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Presumably the former; in his own movie he creates a time loop that's theoretically infinite.

that's true!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So hypothetically, with the way that time travel works in this movie, does it mean that there's like, an infinite amount of alternate realities? Is it like Spiderverse? There's now potentially a Loki running around somewhere, but hypothetically couldn't anyone with access to the time stone also dimension jump? I feel like there's a lot of potential with the time travel stuff

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Strange, I thought that (based on leaks I read) that Captain Marvel got axed (then revived later), that Thor revived Loki and gave him the ok to rule Asgard, that Rocket now leads the Guardians and that Black Widow leads the Avengers. Guess not. Is Professor Hulk still a thing? Also does this mean that Thor leads the Guardians!?

all of this is lies

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Do remember though, those aren't the past versions of Loki or Gamora from the main MCU timeline (MCU-A). They are from an alternate universe (MCU-B); a "branch" split off from the main timeline.

i mean technically they're probably 2 separate dimensions, since the whole "you can't change the past" thing means that they're all going to points from the past in the normal dimension and basically creating another split-off point

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grouchio posted:

I really thought that Professor Hulk was a thing.

oh yeah, that is. everything else in that post was BS though, it was separated from the things that were total bs so I excluded it for whatever reason

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

It's possible that he jumped back to the original timeline after Peggy died.

but he didn't jump. He was just sitting there. Which implies that he just lived a normal life in the same universe that everything else happened in, which flies in the face of all of the stuff they laid out. They could have fixed this by just having him come back as an old man through the time machine but they wanted the reveal of Cap just chilling on the bench, which is a funny joke.

i know this isn't Primer and I shouldn't be bother by this.

*Peggy’s upside-down in the fishbowl*

“Aw, don’t worry Steve; we can buy you a new Peggy.”

You're totally removing any possibility of Peggy having any agency in this situation, kind of unfairly. It's totally reasonable that Cap showed up and explained to her exactly what was going on instead of your assumption that he just tricked her into thinking that he was the same Cap from the universe he showed up in. In this case, he's not loving over Peggy (it stands to reason that two people who fell in love would probably have similar feelings about alternate reality versions), but it does make me wonder what happens to the Cap in that universe, but they totally gloss over that by just breaking the rules and making a causal loop after an entire movie of time travel that specifically does *not* cause a loop. It's not a character flaw, it's a plot logic flaw.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 25, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

brawleh posted:

This just arrives at the same point of characterisation though, just that both view the other as objects that are entirely interchangeable - it’s also assumes that Peggy B doesn’t ask how he got there, where either Cap A lies about where Cap B is and/or neither of them give a poo poo about him.

Plus then there’s all the stuff about his awareness of Hydra operating in that universe in the post-world war II era while he’s just like gently caress it, i’m living the good life and Cap B is stuck living as an ice cube.

To be clear this isn’t about plot holes, but how these elements of the story informs the characterisation - It's also established they can make jumps on the fly, his point of return just wouldn't necessarily be universe A's present. Cap A just didn't want to return when he was supposed to after putting everything back in order to get a taste of that good life.

yeah you're pretty much right about this.

the question so what happens to Frozen-Cap in the universe our Cap jumps to may get a lot of attention once people start talking about this movie.

edit: especially because we literally have an example of someone killing their past self without it affecting them temporally, so none of the usual rules apply.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

As Nero Danced posted:

I just realized something about what Steve did: They did the same thing on episode of Futurama. Farnsworth built a time machine that can only go forwards, but the universe was replaced with an identical univerde when the first one died out. The Leela that Fry ended up with never actually knew him.

I don't have any greater point to make, it doesn't make it any better or worse, but figured I would point that out.

It’s different because this still creates a loop, so there’s no “what happened to the other Fry” question.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

Iirc, when they land in the last universe its moved like 10 feet lower and their ship crushes bender, fry, n the professor that havent left yet

Thus closing the loop, I guess?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grouchio posted:

This is what timeline diagrams are for. :v:

Imagine four Captain Americas on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Captain America nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Captain Americas and takes the place of the first Captain America. The formerly first Captain America becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Time works the same way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alchenar posted:

Yeah you are right.

On performances I particularly liked Tom Holland. Of the characters that got split seconds of screentime he really stole his scene in a way that's really enthusiastic while the others are just there to pick up their paycheque. Tom Hiddlesworth makes the most of his seconds as well..

I really want to know, of everyone in the big long credit sequence, who got the least screen time. My guess is Michelle Pfiffer, because I think she was present only at the funeral, and I think everyone else at the funeral either had another scene (Michael Douglas), was in the big battle at the end (Batista) , or wasn't in the main cast credits (teenager from Iron Man 3 out of nowhere)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

In the timeline where Rhodey and Nebula get the power stone on Morag before Quill does, that means in that specific alternate timeline, it's likely the GOTG never form, right?

yeah, No Gamora, no Nebula, no Thanos, Quill doesn't have the object that starts the whole thing off in the first place. Drax is in prison, probably a little happy that Thanos is gone but still wanting to kill Ronan, Quill is probably hosed and/or back with the Ravagers, and The Adventures of Rocket and Groot continued, unmolested by any dumbass intergalactic plots

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mameluke posted:

Is Nebula treated well in this movie? She is probably my favourite character in these

my man, you won the lottery with this one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the time travel mechanics were consistent with one exception at the end. And I think that one doesn't really matter too much - like maybe cap spent his whole life in another dimension with Peggy then jumped back to his original timeline to say goodbye.

but what happens to the Cap in that dimension then?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

Only to wake up and find out some guy posed as him and stole his life while he was in a coma

Marvel's
U.S. Agent
Coming 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Spoilers fellas.

The worst thing is Cap-A travelling to MCU-B to marry Peggy-B, where he presumably — and as such, knowingly — lets Hydra-B fester under SHIELD-B and enables Bucky-B's continued suffering as Hydra-B's ultra assassin man FOR YEARS, all in exchange for him getting to live out the life he wanted with Peggy. I'd say Cap-A earned the right to do that, but it's still hosed up characterization.

i mean there's nothing saying that he couldn't have stopped all that poo poo from happening, saved Bucky, defeated HYDRA again, etc, but i can't think of a single explanation for the Captain America sitting frozen in the ocean that isn't deeply hosed up and selfish for our Cap

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

worse than that really; there's only one female character with something important to do, and that something is specifically to die. it loving sucks.

I mean Nebula had arguably the 3rd most important role in the whole thing and got to literally murder her old self to prove how much she had grown, that's not nothing. It's not what people were expecting certainly, but she did important things.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

who is the character with the most MCU screen time/biggest role who just does not show up at all in Endgame? Is it Vision, Coulson, Odin, or someone else?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I keep thinking about how totally unnecessary the final battle of giant armies is. Thanos' army is just a bunch of generic monster things that have very little personality, and I feel like "giant armies fighting" is not what people go see superhero movies for. I know why they did it, they wanted a bunch of goons that could easily be killed to make fun action moments but I really feel like there could have been a better way to create those interesting moments without just making 1000 of something and calling it a day. Like, it just feels like a lazy way to manufacture "epic"

And yeah, I felt the same way about Infinity War. Honestly, it just felt like it was the same thing all over again.

Mode 7 posted:

Movie was a three hour long wallow in indulgence that could have used a much tighter script.
Also some dipshit in the cinema decided the best way to calm their small child they had brought with them for some reason was to play Baby Shark over and over again off their phone, which had the beautiful combo of forcing a cinema full of people to listen to Baby Shark over and over and over again alternating with a child screaming and crying at full volume any time Baby Shark was shut off.
I am genuinely amazed that they made it out of the cinema alive.

I'm sure Tony's death is a slightly more emotionally resonant moment without Baby Shark scoring it.

Tony Stark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Tony Stark!

Pepper Potts, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Pepper Potts!

Baby Stark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Baby Stark!

Big Fat Thor, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Big Fat Thor!

Time travel, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Time travel!

Use the stones, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Use the stones!

Now he's dead!

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, the real wise choice would've been giving a good actress like portman anything to do in the movies you're paying her to be in

like, no poo poo she's gonna sleepwalk through being a damsel in distress two movies in a row

more than just about any actor i can think of, Natalie Portman has the ability to really, really give it her all in movies she cares about (which is common among good actors, natch) but in movies where she's just there for a paycheck you can tell she actively doesn't give a poo poo. Some actors give their all in everything, some actors are just bad in everything, but if it's not something she cares about Natalie Portman is just totally checked out on a level where if the only things you saw her in were Thor and Star Wars, you'd probably think she was awful but then you watch Black Swan or Annihilation or Jackie and it's just like, holy poo poo she's amazing how is that the same person, like she has a twin that has absolutely no charisma whatsoever that does her blockbuster work