Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Let's Play RiME

RiME is a puzzle game made by Tequila Works that was released in May 2017 on Windows, Xbox One and Playstation 4, and on the Nintendo Switch in the following November. In it you play a young boy washed up on the shores of a strange island, with no recourse but to explore the environments laid out before him and piece together the events that led to his being marooned. Said environments are a mixture of puzzles and regions that must be traversed by climbing, jumping and sometimes swimming. It may seem like a strangely brief description, but nothing else really needs to be said; RiME is a game with no dialogue at all that still manages to say a great deal.

I really love this game and want to give RiME the opportunity to show itself off for you, the viewer.

It's for that reason that this particular Let's Play is subtitled commentary only. Talking over the top of a game so reliant on its atmosphere would be almost criminal. In truth I almost feel like showing this game off to people who haven't played it yet would be almost criminal too. With that in mind I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't played this game that they go out and get it and play it instead of watching this LP. I can't make you, even if I'm furiously making a gun shape with my hand and thrusting it at my monitor, so all I can do is super highly recommend it.

For this LP we'll be playing RiME on the PC. This will not be a 100% collectible/achievement run but I will make a point of showing as many parts of this game as I can in one run, and will mention anything you can do even if I don't personally do it. The first episode is close to an hour long just for introduction purposes, and I intend for subsequent episodes to be around half an hour.

:siren: Regarding spoilers: This LP is intended to be spoiler-free. Please refrain from discussing anything that has not been seen nor happened yet. If you are unsure if something is a spoiler or not just assume it is and do not post it. I cannot stress this enough in this particular case as spoilers of this game will outright ruin the experience for a lot of viewers. Thank you. :siren:

With all that out of the way, please enjoy this offering of shouting at vases and lanterns.

Videos
Episode 1: The Boy and the IslandYoutube | Polsy
Episode 2: The Boy and the TowerYoutube | Polsy
Episode 3: The Boy and the Windmills - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 4: The Boy and the BirdYoutube | Polsy
Episode 5: The Boy and the Swamp - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 6: The Boy and the Orb - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 7: The Boy and the End - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 8: The Boy and the LullabyYoutube | Polsy

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Also I do want to say I call it a puzzle game but that's just mostly because this game is full of puzzles. The game is so much more than that but then I'd be adding a million little subtitled facets of what it is and we'd be here forever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's a different thing for us and that's a good thing! turns out roboky does chill insanely well who knew

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

TheLastRoboKy posted:

With that in mind I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't played this game that they go out and get it and play it instead of watching this LP.

Seriously this. If at any point someone gets the nagging feeling they want to go buy RiME instead of watching it, do so. Being able to wander around and poke things in game yourself is a worthwhile experience. There will be plenty of game after the first episode to experience on your own if you're feeling cautious.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I like Rime a lot more now than I used to. I mean, I thought it was pretty good when it came out, but recently I've come to appreciate some aspects of it with more clarity than I had before. I wish I could get into what changed for me but that would veer sharply into spoilers, so that's going to have to wait.

I remember the first trailer for Rime coming out. It was, like, aaaages ago. I think it might even have been planned to be a PS3 game originally? It stuck with me, and I remember being conscious that there wasn't anything being announced about it, and eventually thinking that maybe it had died, and then being pleasantly surprised when that (finally) turned out not to be the case.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Time to ruin the mood with terrible unoriginal jokes:

I know the first thing I do when I wash up on the shore of a deserted island AGAIN is yell at glowing objects.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fedule posted:

I like Rime a lot more now than I used to. I mean, I thought it was pretty good when it came out, but recently I've come to appreciate some aspects of it with more clarity than I had before. I wish I could get into what changed for me but that would veer sharply into spoilers, so that's going to have to wait.

I remember the first trailer for Rime coming out. It was, like, aaaages ago. I think it might even have been planned to be a PS3 game originally? It stuck with me, and I remember being conscious that there wasn't anything being announced about it, and eventually thinking that maybe it had died, and then being pleasantly surprised when that (finally) turned out not to be the case.

I do plan on talking a little bit about Tequila Works' progress towards release. There was a great interview Eurogamer regarding the hows and whys that spoils the everloving poo poo out of the game though so I won't link that till the end. My learning of the game was picking up a copy of PC PowerPlay (an Australian magazine I like a lot) and they had a great preview and interview with the devs. I went "drat this game sounds pretty nice" and then went to check the release date, which was that very day. The rest is a story that will have to wait till later.

Kibayasu posted:

Time to ruin the mood with terrible unoriginal jokes:

I know the first thing I do when I wash up on the shore of a deserted island AGAIN is yell at glowing objects.

Any Australian knows that once you realise glows equals yells the world is your oi oi oi-ster.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Outset Island is a lot bigger than I remember. :v:

OP, what happens if you try to swim out into the ocean? Does it just do the drowning thing?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Outset Island is a lot bigger than I remember. :v:

OP, what happens if you try to swim out into the ocean? Does it just do the drowning thing?

The beach water is surrounded by jellyfish that stop you passing on through. You can see them a little after I get the first Lullaby Seashell and stand on the cliff.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
THE BOY simply refuses to try swimming past them. Honestly, sometimes it feels more like you are suggesting actions to THE BOY instead of controlling him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually played this recently and think I just noticed something replaying the first chapter to get the stuff I missed - I think if you press the button to make the kid hum when there isn't something to yell at, he actually hums the background music a bit. I don't know if that was just my imagination though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh wow, comparisons to The Witness start early and never really stop. Perspective puzzles taught to you wordlessly, a pretty Mediterranean cel-shaded landscape, it's all there. I do think that the puzzles are taught to you better than in The Witness though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I actually played this recently and think I just noticed something replaying the first chapter to get the stuff I missed - I think if you press the button to make the kid hum when there isn't something to yell at, he actually hums the background music a bit. I don't know if that was just my imagination though.

I do my fair share of humming in this game so we can all listen out.

bony tony posted:

Oh wow, comparisons to The Witness start early and never really stop. Perspective puzzles taught to you wordlessly, a pretty Mediterranean cel-shaded landscape, it's all there. I do think that the puzzles are taught to you better than in The Witness though.

I've not played The Witness myself, though I've seen some gameplay footage of it. Weirdly watching someone else play it makes me a little nauseous after a while. Not sure why.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is a really neat perspective based platformer that I played a while ago, a student game - https://www.digipen.edu/showcase/student-games/perspective

It's inventive. also I just platted Rime an hour ago. Has some charming achievements and I don't plat many games.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I've played this on PC and a friend got it for me on the switch a few months later. I very heavily recommend for anyone who is vaguely interested in this sort of game to play it for themselves.

That being said, DO NOT PLAY IT ON THE SWITCH. The graphics are awful, and I was experiencing very bad intermittent input lag. That was with a game cartridge though, so if someone downloaded it and it worked better then I suppose they fixed it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Update :siren:

Episode 2: The Boy and the TowerYoutube | Polsy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's time to get chill, my friends~

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Bird, that was RUDE.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As someone who only ever saw the first area (and didn't know it was the "first") I always had an idle wonder about how the game extends past that.

The length of some of those collectible diversions is really triggering my "Okay I can come this way but do they actually want me to for any reason?" sense.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

As someone who only ever saw the first area (and didn't know it was the "first") I always had an idle wonder about how the game extends past that.

The length of some of those collectible diversions is really triggering my "Okay I can come this way but do they actually want me to for any reason?" sense.

I remember being a bit surprised at the second area. I figured it was going to just be a big weird tower full of puzzles from then on. THEN BIRD.

Best to leave your collectibles and stuff for second runs anyway, there's a level select and everything carries over. It even remembers that little anguished statue I knocked down, when I do it you can see the little quicksave icon swirl up.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
From this video, it seems like the tower's purpose is to teleport people to towers in other places. Other than that it seems to mostly be empty space.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the visual of the day-night cycle getting all hosed up as the bird tries to grab at the orb. It's a cool looking effect.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 3: The Boy and the Windmills - Youtube | Polsy

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

You should have let us through, bird. Too late for that now. Storm is coming. Boop.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That is an... Angry Bird.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NHO posted:

You should have let us through, bird. Too late for that now. Storm is coming. Boop.

THE KID WILL REMEMBER THAT

BIRD

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Junpei posted:

That is an... Angry Bird.

Had to ensure I didn't write that like five times that episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong with unleashing sky devouring storms previously contained in magical windmills for reasons unknown.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Had to ensure I didn't write that like five times that episode.

Last episode you wrote "pottery in motion", let's not pretend that you have pun standards.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 4: The Boy and the BirdYoutube | Polsy

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Birds are jerks. But did it really deserve that? :(

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, at least dinner's served.

:(

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

To give you something of an idea how much of a burden an albatross around your neck would be, they are very big. The wandering albatross has the largest wingspan of any bird, with the largest confirmed measurements at 3.7 meters or over 12 feet. These large ones can get up 12kg or 28lb. That's heavy, and that's not even getting into the issue of the corpse starting to rot.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Update! :siren:

Episode 5: The Boy and the Swamp - Youtube | Polsy

It was at this point in the game on my first playthrough that I thought I knew what was happening in RiME. I was very, very wrong.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man, this new place is depressing. It's so dark and wet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yelling at your own robot army is every boy's dream :allears:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Junpei posted:

That's what you get for unleashing those storm clouds.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Junpei posted:

It's pretty in its own way, just as you could say all areas are a little depressing in their own way. They're all ruins, after all.

Slaan posted:

Yelling at your own robot army is every boy's dream :allears:

All this shouting is in practice for when we yell their attacks.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Hi TheLastRoboKy,
I had really lovely week (broke a shoulder and lost a very close family member), and I'd like you to know that this last video provided some very welcome distraction. I already played the game and know what's coming, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

Hi TheLastRoboKy,
I had really lovely week (broke a shoulder and lost a very close family member), and I'd like you to know that this last video provided some very welcome distraction. I already played the game and know what's coming, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Thanks a lot!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I hope better times are coming for you.