Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want to speak to your manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

On paper it works for sure. The execution is what I found (drastically) lacking. I can totally buy the Absorbaloff as a literal representation of the lovely and nasty parts of fandom ruining everybody else's fun, but understanding that and being able to enjoy it were two different things for me.

The absorbaloff was literally made by a 12 year old and I refuse to believe any deep thought went into Love and Monsters whatsoever.

I’d rather watch Six strangle Peri and then have a mediocre episode than ever watch it again. That’s how strong my feelings are.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Peekaboo? Peekaboo?!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SimplyCosmic posted:

While I like Heaven Sent, I also kind of hate it for being the penultimate Moffat having to leave his mark with dumb changes to lore episode.

The Doctor's childhood scenes in Listen were pretty unnecessary. Hell Bent's Gallifrey and suddenly useless and powerless Rassilon is just the worst.

But in Heaven Sent he straight up killed the Doctor. Full stop. The character we've followed for 50+ years died for the dumbest of reasons.

And then a duplicated lump of flesh strolled off with his face.

Joke’s on you, that already happened to Five!

don’t listen to necromantea

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Muppetjedi posted:

Even without all that Yaz is kinda just.. there. They seem to want her as the Doctor's BFF but she's not really given much to do.

She's like a member of the silence but as a companion.

...the what? :confused:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Harlock posted:

Catching up on the Twitch marathon and Troughton was pretty dang good.

Oh my goodness! Jamie! Zoe! Oh my giddy aunt!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Every so often I stop and think about how wonderful Tom Baker's cameo in Day of the Doctor is, and how people will probably try to figure out a way to "fit it in" somewhere but you really don't need to because gently caress it, it was the 50th so they got in Tom and God bless 'em for it :allears:

"If I were you.... oooooh if I were you... or perhaps I am. Or perhaps YOU are me? :haw:"

Or maybe it doesn’t matter either way. Who knows. Who.... nose.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Harlock posted:

It was a fine season. Not the dregs and nothing out of this world. Just fine.

The first of a Doctor’s seasons are almost always rough bc the writers are still adjusting to things. Series 12 should be a lot tighter.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sinepost posted:

Pertwee’s first season is best first season for me, Matt’s first closely behind

It's incredible how solid that entire season was. it's even more ridiculous when you consider it's literally the first time we see the Master.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Master was Pertwee's second season.

Goddamn it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

what all of them

all of them

beevers, ainley, and delgado too

that's a lot of masters for one doctor

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

and then she flies away with the wind like a deranged mary poppins as the limo explodes

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

corn in the bible posted:

I listened to The 8th Of March, big finish's box set for Women's Day. It was a mixed bag--River and Leela was good (and a rare team-up, which is nice), Ace and Benny was nice enough, Paternoster Gang was terrible, UNIT was OK. If their goal in putting in a Paternoster audio here was to sell people on the upcoming series then that is a hell of a miscalculation cause it's super bad

On a scale from Scourge of the Shadow to Nekromantia how bad is it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

"Scourge of the Shadow" sounds like some TS Eliot poo poo and now I want that to be real instead of "Shadow of the Scourge." :smithcloud:

whoops!

I haven't heard either of those, it is just really dumb and has bad repetitive jokes.

shadow of the scourge is fantastic and purposefully funny and don't let any of these other jerks tell you otherwise

nekromantaea otoh (or whatever, idc how it's spelled) is very very bad

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

Like 90% of Classic Who is about mining/labor/land rights disputes and more franchises can learn from that.

The border negotiation treaties

OF DEATH

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

The Daleks finally figured out how to use Adobe Premiere?

THE DOC-TOR IS USING THE CLONE TOOL! E-RASE! E-RASE!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Never mind the Time War, here’s an absolute unit

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Barry Foster posted:

Awesome. This might make me give a drat about Big Finish again.

plannin on havin a laff

"With your WOOFING and your BARKING! Driving! Me! INSANE!!"

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 12, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

and this proves my theory that the world was literally black and white before they invented color in the late sixties

Don't argue with me! When I say color, color!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SecretOfSteel posted:

I really loved his transition in Utopia when he went from bumbling, cranking, sadly out-of-time but very well meaning scientist to full-on master, had that nice level of unsettling to it. It actually makes me think of Graham in the last episode of the previous season at the beginning where they find out Tim is on the planet. He has that subtle shift too in his manner that felt unsettling. Would have been great if they'd left it like that, but being Season 11 they had to pause the story and have an explicit conversation about how Graham was feeling and what he was planning to do next. The script got in the way of the acting too much in Season 11.

Not to worry. As one door closes, another opens. :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I'll always love his,"Oh! Now I can say I was provoked! :getin:" reaction to her threatening him. Just the idea that he would a) need provocation to murder anyone and b) as if anybody would say,"Oh well fair enough I guess."

“You can’t just shoot someone for threatening you! That’s not how the law works!”
“That sounds like a threat to me.”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

Full of country goodness and grean pea-ness.

there's a lot of cultural differences but they make it work

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress The Forge, gently caress Nimrod, gently caress that whole lovely dumb storyline forever.

Literally the only good thing to come out of it that I've heard so far is the story where the 7th Doctor returns to deal with them and just effortlessly clowns on them like the idiots they are.

“Ha! Thought so!”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

the most exciting big finish release of this month is

Splendid chaps, all of them :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I love Kinda. Davison is a good Doctor and he has good companions, I don't get why people are so down on him

He wasn't flashy, and when the show has problems juggling a large cast, it's pretty glaringly obvious. We've seen the same thing happen last series where some characters got lost in the shuffle in some episodes.

He's got some fantastic moments and lines ("Well, that's democracy for you") but since he's sandwiched between the overwhelming personalities that are the Bakers he kind of gets shuffled into the background.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

It always cracks me up because there's like 6 people in space right now, and that's higher than average.

I'm not sure, but the daleks are behind this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

marktheando posted:

I don't think the Space Force is particularly funny. The militarisation of space, something that didn't happen even during the darkest days of the cold war, is continuing to grow and we should all be terrified. How long before there are orbital weapons platforms and anti-sattelite weaponry?

Right. Like I said, daleks.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

No, that's noo.

Fixed that for yoo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

"And what do we say to the God of Death?"
"Not toda-"
"That's right, we mock it relentlessly before exposing this so-called divinity as having feet of clay, outclassed by the trrrrrrrrrrue divinity that is the greater aspirations of the human soul defined in truth by its own mortality!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

Six Doctors in a single TARDIS?
What could possibly go wrong

takes backseat driving to the next level

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

Not helped by the fact the console's different for most of them

"Throw the wibbly lever!"
"The wibbly lever? THE WIBBLY LEVER?!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

listened to zagreus today. that's the weird poo poo. do more weird poo poo

It seems the moment was not prepared for.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Barry Foster posted:

Capaldi's last season was good though. Obviously imo.

Whitaker is being deeply under-served by very anaemic/flat out poo poo scripts, unfortunately. Also I do have some reservations about her Doctor's characterisation so far

Doctors always take a series/series-and-a-half to wear in, even when they're naturals at it like Smith. They have to find the groove so they can get a consistent personality going.

I think Whitaker's been great out of the box, personally. Just hasn't really had that "THIS is Thirteen, right here, in a nutshell" episode yet.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
also how dare any of you say an audio with an episode dedicated to Sly chewing scenary as Walt Disney presiding over an animatronics war is bad

reevaluate your lives and what you've done with them to bring you to this point

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

Also all this talk about the 50th made me watch "all THIRTEEN!" again and I love it every time that Hartnell's voice comes on and the whole gang shows up. Every single time.

ALSO I took a trip to the UK over the last few weeks. While I was in Edinburgh I saw a sign that said "1992 TARDIS ->" and I couldn't figure out what it was about, and I even asked a local girl I met who was wearing a Doctor Who shirt and she didn't know, so I assumed it was nothing...

But do you guys know about it?

Look, Seven can only keep the TARDIS parked for so long before they tow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

lol at six's cat scratch :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LividLiquid posted:

:3:

Now I need a bitchin' coat.

Paging Doctor What to the thread

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

That's why you gotta thank heaven for the TV movie makeover :hellyeah:

it does kind of paint eight's regeneration with long hair in a different light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve cosplayed TVMovie 7, a version of 8 (black velvet rather than green), 10 for Halloween, and I’ve done 12’s hoodie and a coat look just out and about many times.
        \