Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

In the moment I thought Kerblam! was tremendous fun and was really happy at the end of the episode. Within a few minutes it was really sinking in just how hosed up a lot of what I'd just seen was, which has really colored my perception of it as a whole.

Yeah, this was essentially my reaction too. And I think I said it before, but to me the most frustrating stories, not necessarily the worst ones but the ones that dig at me the most, are the ones that are so close to getting it right.

This was a frustrating story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Love and Monsters is half amazing and half "ugh what were they thinking" which makes it a fitting metaphor for Doctor Who fandom as a whole.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Or ‘too many black people’.

Which is to say, "any black people"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I report any far right bullshit that appears in my YouTube recommendations. I doubt it accomplishes anything but it makes me feel better.

I enjoy Heaven Sent primarily as a vehicle for Capaldi to show off as an actor. I don't think it's that compelling a story.

Hell Bent I like the idea of though I don't know if the execution quite works.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do however love that the Doctor is enduring all that horrific torture for the sake of Ashilde (I hate the name "Me" for her) specifically after her role in Clara's death.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

The doctor's ludicrous level of willpower and determination is probably my favourite of his/her superpowers. The hyper intelligence and latest pulled-out-of-the-writer's-arse special time lord bodily functions can both get a bit tired, but the character's almost unreasonable ability to pursue a goal no matter what (usually Doing The Right Thing) is what makes the Doctor a genuinely good fictional role model

That's one of the reasons I love Day of the Doctor, in particular, so much.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

...the what? :confused:

Okay seriously whoever is drawing on my arms needs to stop it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

"If I were you.... oooooh if I were you... or perhaps I am. Or perhaps YOU are me? :haw:"

There's something just incredible about the way Tom delivers this line.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is it just me or is "Me And My Mates" off the new soundtrack album Segun Akinola's attempt at doing a Murray Gold piece?

(Not a complaint)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

The song at the end was over the top though, I admit.

Yeah, that and the "check out this asteroid that was named Rosa Parks" moment were the only things that fell flat for me, and they're hardly the greatest television crimes ever committed by Doctor Who.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, Davros is a great villain, but he does belong to the tradition of physical abnormality being treated as monsterous.

I recall that on the DVD commentary for Vengeance on Varos the actor who played Sil talked about this (in general terms, not specifically calling out Davros) a fair bit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not really digging this Love and Monsters sequel tbh.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Dalek Emperor looking young and strong and his hair is lustrous and blond

Everything is meticulously labeled even though the only labels in use are "DALEK" and "INFERIOR BEING WHO MUST BE EXTERMINATED"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

You wonder, if a guy asks to bring his boyfriend over, if these people bemoan how the party suddenly got political.

Judging from the way people talked about Bill Potts last year, even here, I don't think you have to wonder.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/Funkybunch47/status/1096859502882607104

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So apparently I've been voluntold to take a friend to see Logopolis this Wednesday on the big screen.

Man I hope this story doesn't leave me hanging.

So long as the moment has been prepared for, you should be fine.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think I like Time of the Doctor better than most of the thread but it still tickles me that the ending is more or less exactly the same as the ending of The Curse of Fatal Death.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

There's no seasonal puzzle boxes in Capaldi. There's some misdirection but it's all about character motivations and development. If you think there's a puzzle box or a cosmic threat, you're not watching carefully.

There is definitely a cosmic threat in Season 9.

It's the Doctor

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kinda is just too disjointed for me to really appreciate though there are elements of it I really like.

Snakrdance is fantastic.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe Toby Whithouse?

He's kind of been my pick for showrunner for a while now, even after the mess that was the finale of the Monks trilogy (and I'm mostly convinced he got a call ten minutes before the episode filmed from a very drunk Stephen Moffat saying WE NEED A SCRIPT RIGHT NOW).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

All this reminds me how much I loving adored 11 in season 5. I enjoyed Tennant as 10 but season 5/11/Moffat all felt like such a breath of fresh air. I still enjoyed the two seasons that followed but they had plenty of problems and issues with things getting repetitive, but goddamn was season 5 loving amazing.

That same energy permeated Day of the Doctor too.

I remember being a little worried during the start of The Eleventh Hour because Smith was coming across as very Tennant-like (and I liked Tennant but the entire point of a new Doctor is that they're a new Doctor) until I worked out that it was a deliberate acting choice and that those elements just kind of faded away over the course of the episode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

moffat's good seasons were the first and the last, and it's sad how bad things got inbetween

I think for the most part the good episode:bad episode is pretty favorable throughout Moffat's entire run, it's just that some of the bad moments are, well, basically Let's Kill Hitler.

(And for that matter Season 5 has the most boring Silurian story ever, and Season 10 has this enormous Monk-shaped hole in the middle).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(Also it's quite hard to watch anything written by Gareth Roberts now, which is a shame because I really like The Lodger).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

extremis is cool though

I did like Extremis.

I actually liked Pyramid At The End Of The World even if it had some flaws (most notably not doing anything useful with the resolution of Extremis).

Lie of the Land is also an episode of Doctor Who.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm still half convinced that Tom just turned up on the set and started chatting with Matt Smith not realizing they were filming.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hey guys I heard Chris Chibnall quit Doctor Who and Ian Levine is taking over as showrunner and it's getting written into the terms of Brexit that girls aren't allowed to watch Doctor Who any more.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Narsham posted:

The new series episodes involving Time War refugees or Crack refugees pretty routinely make the refugees monsters or invaders.

Weirdly the much-maligned (and mostly justly so) Zygon episode is somewhat better in this regard, as the Zygons settled on Earth peacefully as part of a treaty and it's an extremist faction (and not the entire Zygon race, and don't get me started on the science fiction tendency to treat alien species as simple monocultures) that's causing the trouble while most of them would just be happy getting on with their lives.

It's still got a lot of awful subtext (such as the extremist faction's main grievance being that they want to still maintain their identity as a non-human species and this is somehow bad) but it's marginally more nuanced than most of the other "welp our planet blew up TIME TO KILL ALL HUMANS" stories the show's done.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

I'm aware of what it is. :colbert:

Penelope Wilton's in it too?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Whatever else you can say about Richard Hurndall in The Five Doctors, "What are you young people doing in my TARDIS?!?" remains one of the greatest moments of Doctor Who.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

The one moment that always struck me as summing up Hartnell's Doctor was a scene where he goes from :mad: to :q: in the span of like a second and both are so incredibly emotive and flow into each other. Yeah, he got all yelly and shouty at times, but people forget his YOU CAN'T CHANGE HISTORY NOT ONE LINE outburst was followed by a soothing "oh, come now, dear, there's nothing to be done about it now"

The thing I love so much about that outburst from The Aztecs is that it later becomes clear that he wasn't telling Barbara she wasn't allowed to change history, he was telling her it was impossible and trying to spare her the inevitable heartbreak she'd experience by trying.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I’m blitzing through some Big Finish stuff to get up to speed on where the Benny Summerfield stories are, and I’ve listened to the two fstandalone Unbound Warner Doctor stories. Sympathy for the Devil is really good but Masters of War didn’t need to be that long at all.

I've only ever heard Sympathy, but I would listen to David Warner read several consecutive phone books so I think the rest are only a matter of time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

It was posted two pages ago, Cod.

You might say we've been posting it all our lives.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

There have to be people who are disappointed when they're cast in Doctor Who as someone who doesn't get to be confused about the TARDIS, right? I know I would be, it's the scene I'd most want to do.

The scene I want to do scond of all would be a fun death scene, so they can just introduce me to the TARDIS and then blow me up, I'll be happy.

OH MY GOD IT'S...it's...i...tell my wife...it's bigger on the...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

marktheando posted:

Characters that wear a lot of makeup?

Also yes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I can think of one, maybe two memory wipes in Moffat's era - Clara doing it to Twelve and I guess River getting manipulated by Kovarian?

I deffo don't think I'd call it a fetish because it's consistently portrayed as a violation.

Twelve offered to do it to Bill too until she was all "yeah, gently caress that," but that (particularly in conjunction with the way Twelve and Clara's story ended) felt like something a lot more specific and deliberate than "Moffat loves erasing peoples' memories".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't hate the Doctor Mysterio Christmas Special there I said it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

What I want to know is: is there going to be a holiday special this winter, or not?

One of those, yes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bill Bailey's Belgian jazz version.

Oh, you said "official".

No, not changing my answer.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure my actual answer for favorite intro is the same as the answer to who my favorite Doctor is: whichever I've heard most recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd actually put forth that Ryan was the most interesting and well developed of the companions, though Graham was a close second and Yaz was also in the show.

Seriously I hope they figure out what to do with her this year because I like the actress and I think she did have a lot of nice subtle moments but there definitely needs to be more.