Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I can totally buy the Absorbaloff as a literal representation of the lovely and nasty parts of fandom ruining everybody else's fun, but understanding that and being able to enjoy it were two different things for me.

It doesn't quite work because all fandoms are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Saw someone on Twitter try to say that the problem with this series was that every ep revolved around the Doctor being a woman. He never answered when I told him to cite examples.

Fun (or "fun") fact: I recently learned through the magic of unwelcome YouTube recommendations that these guys have now teamed up with the Star Wars fandom and that we can look forward (or "look forward") to the release of the fan-made documentary (or "documentary") "Episode Backlash" which promises to be the last word on how fans have turned against both Star Wars and Doctor Who because they are "too political" now. :v:

This information was revealed to me by a grown man sitting in a room full of toys.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

I'm sure I remember more noticeable liberal critics talking about the show when Moffat was making it

One thing I will always remember vis-a-vis the breadth and variety of Doctor Who's terrible fandom is finding one guy's blog where he whinged about "Steven Moffat's feminist agenda" around the time Moffat was saying the Doctor could be a woman shortly before he and Capaldi both said they were leaving.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It's easily Too Political = isn't focused on white men.

I've tried everything people have suggested but YouTube still seems intent on recommending me videos where the thumbnail is a picture of Daisy Ridley next to the title "THE PROBLEM WITH FORCED DIVERSITY".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody get really invested in the "mysterious words" story arcs like hybrids or whatever the dancing rags said to Thirteen in the second episode of the last season? I don't feel like I see much fan theorycrafting for Doctor Who in that regard, but then again, I've never gone looking for it.

One thing I think is okay about Doctor Who fandom (compared to, say, Star Wars and some Star Trek fans) is that they seem not to be preoccupied with "canon" because it's a bit of a dead letter in this franchise across all its permutations. I'm sure there are some people who gnash their teeth at their inability to neatly reconcile the Doctor having at least three ninth incarnations or what have you but it hardly seems commonplace to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Yeah Star Trek fans are awful for this. The people getting bent out of shape about visual continuity in Discovery (sets and uniforms don’t match 50 year old episodes, oh no!) would not enjoy having several different equally canon versions of the fate of Atlantis.

Hopefully we won't have to bother with another two-part episode in the next tv series to explain why the Klingons in Discovery look different (again).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Coming with an explanation for the different-looking Klingons is the most "Why did this need to be explained?" one from Star Trek to me, because the explanation they had ("We do not discuss it with outsiders!") was good enough for me.

I suppose the closest equivalent in Doctor Who would be the accusation levelled against Moffat in his last couple of years that he wanted to be the one who got the last word in on the regeneration limit and that sort of thing, but that feels different to me in a way that I'm unsure how to articulate.

I'll never get the obsession with "canon" in any fandom. It has its uses but some people get entirely too fixated upon it and a lot of the time it ends up becoming another fandom thing that shuts other people out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember people (not here - I wasn't on SA at the time) going ballistic a full decade-plus ago at one scene of the Master as a child in season three finale.

Why does the Master become evil? It could be because he was driven mad by the vortex. Then again, it could be because the Doctor accidentally killed their bully, Torvik, and made a deal with Virgin New Adventures Death to shift the cosmic blame for it onto the Master.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

That made me look up when they're releasing the Series 11 boxset and.... THEY'RE NOT INCLUDING RESOLUTION ON IT! :argh:

Sure, they always include the Christmas (/New Year's) special with the next season, don't they?

The only exception was "Time of the Doctor" not being included with season eight; it had a separate release alongside the other three Matt Smith Christmas specials instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that Tom Baker was apparently very embarrassed about his performance as Captain Rum in Blackadder II to the point where he said he should have had his Equity card taken from him and cut up for it.

Furthermore, he apparently got on very poorly with Rowan Atkinson, who disliked the way he was playing the part, and skipped the episode's wrap party because he expected Atkinson was going to give him the cold shoulder the whole night.

I'm pretty disappointed to have discovered this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Probably why he hasn't done anything worthwhile since like 1992

I liked most (the last episode wasn't very good - unfortunately he only made four) of that new Maigret adaptation he did for the ITV a couple of years ago. Would've liked to have seen more; I believe it was very purposefully meant to be a replacement for Poirot and I'm surprised they didn't keep it going.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see season 11 has caught a bad case of Last Jedi syndrome over on Rotten Tomatoes (i.e. "audience score" pile-driven into the low 20s). I assume the usual suspects are to blame.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Guess that means Series 12 is gonna get quietly cancelled by way of just never being mentioned again.

I thought you had me on ignore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Or maybe they will, and we're at mercy of the chuds forevermore.

James Gunn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

Counterpoint: there was no review-bombing campaign against Wonder Woman.

The people who do this always seem to be really hung up on DC movies (which is always odd because it's not like the movies ever support their views). You know, I'm pretty sure they grew out of the people griping that Disney had bribed Rotten Tomatoes to give Batman v Superman bad reviews. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Master was Pertwee's second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Colin Baker is even older and he was pretty enthusiastic. :shrug: