Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPG64L4bSkI

Dororo is one of the great manga by Osamu Tezuka, and it's getting an anime! Previously adapted as an anime in 1969, a video game in 2004, and a live-action movie in 2007, this is the fourth time we have to deal with the reality that Tezuka straight up got bored and did not finish the manga. Ah well, let's see.

In the Sengoku period, a daimyo bargains away the body parts of his unborn child to 48 demons in exchange for great power, causing the boy to be born malformed and abandoned. Picked up by a doctor, he was given a whole lot of prosthetics and trained in the ways of the blade so he could track down the 48 demons and get his body back.

The ronin giving himself the name Hyakkimaru (Hiroki Suzuki) wanders the countryside in search of vengeance against his father and the monsters that robbed him of his life.

A young thief named Dororo (Rio Suzuki) befriends and accompanies him on his journey.

It's on Amazon, which sucks, but what are you gonna do?

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1081934429981822977

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope the rest of the show delivers on that dope OP animation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The 60s show was one of my favorite anime I watched last year so I'm interested in this one...first episode was good but not great. It looks excellent and has great sound design and music. A few really big changes from the original that I'm not thrilled about but if they do something cool with them I'll be fine...I hope it can keep it up, because I can still see this fizzling out in a way that it can't recover from.

Subs aren't accessible on Amazon yet so look in the usual places if you want to see it now.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I only know Dororo through the LP of Blood Will Tell. It’s a trip going from that, where Hyakkimaru’s artificial body is a miracle of 16th century science, to this, where he can’t even scream because he doesn’t have vocal cords. Really sets a different sort of mood.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

12 demons huh? what a convenient number.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
First episode was fantastic. Mondays are just unfair to the rest of the week with this, Mob, and Slime all together.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Other than Amazon apparently being kind of poo poo with sub boxes and a little iffy translation, its a good start. They condensed a lot of info and have a good balance between body horror, animation style that has kind of a seamless transition between 3D ish monsters and effects with computer animated 2D and character depictions that so far are spot on for a Dororo that's shortening 48 demons to 12. It even sort of follows the pacing of the original 60s anime, but more conscise and with villages that actually look habitable. The late 60s anime had people just basically living in rubble next to desiccated corpses while here there is at least a village.

And since this series is abandoned just like Daigo did to Hyakkimaru, they may just rip off the ending from the video games, but much more justifiably when Tezuka just dropped it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Other than Amazon apparently being kind of poo poo with sub boxes and a little iffy translation, its a good start. They condensed a lot of info and have a good balance between body horror, animation style that has kind of a seamless transition between 3D ish monsters and effects with computer animated 2D and character depictions that so far are spot on for a Dororo that's shortening 48 demons to 12. It even sort of follows the pacing of the original 60s anime, but more conscise and with villages that actually look habitable. The late 60s anime had people just basically living in rubble next to desiccated corpses while here there is at least a village.

And since this series is abandoned just like Daigo did to Hyakkimaru, they may just rip off the ending from the video games, but much more justifiably when Tezuka just dropped it.

I think the village being inhabited is a strike against this anime, not for it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bones and corpses litter the streets. Homes and shops have fallen to ruin. Soldiers slaughter and pillage like bandits, and even noble priests starve to death. It's never clear if it's day or if it's night. Daigo has brought hell to this world.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also the original anime had an ending that Tezuka had a hand in, that ran concurrently with the cancellation of the manga! Why do people keep saying it's unfinished!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well so far its only one episode, so we've yet to see if this also the same village that Lady Bandi lives at. The setting wants to claim Japan was a poo poo place to live in even before Daigo made the pact so let's see which narrative this show carries, That humans are horrible monsters and the demons at least keep their word while eating them/causing misery - or Hyakkimaru is supposed to be some chosen Japanese messiah and there is redemption.

The 1960s one was still very close to WW2 so it might have been more fertile ground for rubble cities. Then again, Daigo rides to Hell Shrine across bodies on the roads and there is carnage that Jukai goes out of his way to put prosthetic on. We may see a lot of open warfare the coming Mondays. Up to the show to deliver on that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

never heard of the original. thought episode 1 was dope as hell. i'm excited to watch more

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
That’s some good shōnen, right there!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also watching while unfamiliar with the source. I don't fully agree that showing a happy village after stating the nation is in a disaster is a bad thing. The whole point of the demonic pact was to end the suffering of his people, and a dozen years later here they are not suffering. As for what evil lurks behind this facade, I guess we'll find out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Spy_0taku/status/1082601562894147584

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm glad, based off of this and some of the imagery in the OP they'll hopefully adapt some of my favorite stories from the original, which would be awesome to see if they can keep up this level of quality

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope they use blood will tells version of the ending :black101:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if the other 36 demons will show up as demons or "ghouls" as the translation put it. Some were more story important than others, but if its 24, it wouldn't hurt to use them as fighting fodder.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I had no idea they were making this, radical.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Dororo is way down at the 15th result for "Dororo" on Amazon... this fuckin company. I feel compelled to watch it on their site to show that there's interest in them continuing to bring anime over, but it's a struggle to feel like they give a poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

Dororo is way down at the 15th result for "Dororo" on Amazon... this fuckin company. I feel compelled to watch it on their site to show that there's interest in them continuing to bring anime over, but it's a struggle to feel like they give a poo poo.

Flip that on it's head and think about if Amazon didn't bring it over, then maybe someone else would pick those shows up and people would actually watch them

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The monkey's paw answer for that is that then they'd get picked up by Netflix and we'd have to wait even longer before they come out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Also watching while unfamiliar with the source. I don't fully agree that showing a happy village after stating the nation is in a disaster is a bad thing. The whole point of the demonic pact was to end the suffering of his people, and a dozen years later here they are not suffering. As for what evil lurks behind this facade, I guess we'll find out.

honestly i thought the direction the show was going to go in was "as demons are defeated and hyakkimaru regains his lost body, disasters begin to befall the people once more"

sounds like that's not how the source material went though

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm really gald he got his skin back first because holy loving poo poo

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly i thought the direction the show was going to go in was "as demons are defeated and hyakkimaru regains his lost body, disasters begin to befall the people once more"

I didn't extrapolate to that, but now that you've done that for me I'm scared of where we might end up...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

That'd be a cool direction the show could take. I don't see why it couldn't happen though, it's already made some big changes from the original and honestly no version of Dororo is like the others, it's a story that's pretty easy to modify for your own ends

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
There was a landslide after the statue was struck with lightning so there is the possibility that the 11 demons are literally tied to the land and keeping it healthy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That was a really strong first episode.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Crabtree posted:

There was a landslide after the statue was struck with lightning so there is the possibility that the 11 demons are literally tied to the land and keeping it healthy.
that's part of what daigo asked them to do man. not really an aha moment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I got a taste for this with the first episode, and went back to watch the 1969 show.

And Jesus Christ I was not prepared for what looked like a pretty by-the-numbers horror anime to go full-on "no war but class war, gently caress the samurai, they can't die out soon enough!"

I love how much sympathy and nuance it lavishes on these characters without treating them like saints just because they're suffering and poor, either. It's so good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Second episode is out and its starting to delve both into how poo poo the time period was, as well as what makes Hyakkimaru work. Sensing the colors of a soul is a pretty way to side straddle around psychic samurai.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got a taste for this with the first episode, and went back to watch the 1969 show.

And Jesus Christ I was not prepared for what looked like a pretty by-the-numbers horror anime to go full-on "no war but class war, gently caress the samurai, they can't die out soon enough!"

I love how much sympathy and nuance it lavishes on these characters without treating them like saints just because they're suffering and poor, either. It's so good.

Unfortunately it looks like they've scrubbed the class themes out of this adaptation entirely which is pretty disappointing. There's also no tension or terror either, this was pretty disappointing compared to the original.

I also don't like that Hyakkimaru recovering his body is tied to his father's land getting worse, it increases the tragic tension sure but it breaks apart the themes of trauma and self actualization that made the original so compelling to me.

I'll still keep watching this for awhile, especially to see if they adapt some of the later stories with the animation style they're using here which could be really amazing to see, but so far it's pretty disappointing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah they completely butchered the story that sold me on the original anime. Oh well.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So pro strat here is watch this one all the way through then go back and watch the original to avoid expectation poisoning?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe, we got a few more episodes to go and episode 3 might have some good ol fashion war is hell. But if we don't have some real class strife with a certain Headman/Magistrate, then maybe we do have some problems.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ep 2 was rather disappointing. just a really standard story told with no originality to it and way too much exposition and recapping

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

So pro strat here is watch this one all the way through then go back and watch the original to avoid expectation poisoning?

We'll see. The original morphs into a totally different kind of show halfway through, one that's more monster of the week and somewhat more comedic. I don't wholly dislike these and a lot of my favorite episodes are from this phase of the show but the nuance and complexity of the first part is definitely missing.

Based on how they adapted this story I'm more nervous than excited to see how they adapt some of the stories from this later period, some of which could be absolutely amazing in the new style if done right.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So episode 2.

I feel like that show's trying to channel a bit of Samurai Champloo with it's choice of OP and ED music. I like it, but idk if that's what it should try to be.

As for the episode itself, I noticed that some of the animation in this show feels janky and not well thought out. Stuff like Dororo throwing his head side to side while walking into town and the blind traveller just before he meets the pilgrim spirit. It's minor things here and there but bad enough to be noticable.

Story wise it was interesting and I have a sense of where they're going with it, but it wasn't very exciting overall. Part of that's because Hyakkimaru is nothing but a walking sword with evil sense so Dororo has to carry the show by himself, but the kid didn't do enough on his own to make up for it. I definitely want to give this a few more episodes to see if it picks up.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really dislike the soul sight thing, it utterly removes any tension from the storyline because Hyakkimaru and the old guy can just know people's true intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There's plenty of foreshadowing about whats going to happen now. He takes a hit when fighting the demon and shakes it off because he couldn't feel pain. Now he's got his nervous system back and is recoiling. The old man says a pretty ominous thing "Its normal for those that have sight to be tricked", Hyakimaru is going to get it sooner rather than later.

I think the direction so far is fine, its a two cour show so theres plenty of time to expand on other themes.