Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There's plenty of foreshadowing about whats going to happen now. He takes a hit when fighting the demon and shakes it off because he couldn't feel pain. Now he's got his nervous system back and is recoiling. The old man says a pretty ominous thing "Its normal for those that have sight to be tricked", Hyakimaru is going to get it sooner rather than later.

I think the direction so far is fine, its a two cour show so theres plenty of time to expand on other themes.

I do like the thematic implications of the mechanics described so far which is a large part of why I'm interested in this show. I like the idea of people who are impaired to the literal nature of the world but are instead so tuned into its spiritual nature that they can sense the intent of a being's soul. I also like the poetic design of Hyakkimaru as someone who regains their physical humanity by smiting the demons that feast on the bounty of other humans. I'm curious to see if he retains his spiritual senses as he becomes more human, and if the show portrays this as personal growth or a tragic return to a status quo. Humans in this show have been pretty lovely so far.

There's a lot of ripe ideas here but the minute to minute of episode two was pretty boring for a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As much as Hyakimaru could immaculately sense an immediate threat of a demon, he didn't personally do poo poo to the humans that enabled the monster that went around eating travelers to line their pockets. It isn't exactly something that Hyaki can turn on a dime right now and that probably can gently caress him down the line when he probably doesn't understand how the world of men works.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

As much as Hyakimaru could immaculately sense an immediate threat of a demon, he didn't personally do poo poo to the humans that enabled the monster that went around eating travelers to line their pockets. It isn't exactly something that Hyaki can turn on a dime right now and that probably can gently caress him down the line when he probably doesn't understand how the world of men works.

I didn't think of that. I guess that's the limitation of soul sensing: you can only clearly sense demonic mal intent. The show didn't show us the soul color of the villagers so this is just speculation, but it could also be the case that he's only sensing the nature of one's soul, whether it's a human/spirit/demon soul. But the blind man was able to recognize Hyakkimaru from his 'soul signature' so maybe there is a quality to souls that can be differentiated, but maybe Hyakkimaru is just a outlier as a demonically cursed human.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Seemingly in this incarnation Hyaki has spent his life without voice, hearing, touch, taste, sight or possibly any real human interaction outside of anyone that would care enough to deal with him or be in trouble like that kid falling down the hill. The blind man at least knows how to interact with people, speak to people, hear things, etc; but maybe he was waiting for the opportunity to present itself. Hyakimaru just wonders until something red/blood colored enough comes at him or he's hungry and just eats meat and berries raw. He's straight up a wild man that Dororo probably has to tame a bit the more he regains back, from learning how to deal with pain to actual social cues.

68 Hyaki would have probably murdered the villagers that tried to restrain him. But this one, without seeing some deliberate threat color just let them toss him around. That might change when he can feel pain and get frustrated at these colors hurting him when they shouldn't, or can now hear and perceive people in ways besides looking directly at their soul.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 16, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think he does know how to interact with people, its just lacking every sense but his spirit one probably dulls everything about it.

He noticed Dororo's "flame" wavering to the point that it was barely noticeable and understood that he was feeling depressed about what had happened and tried to cheer him up. Which is interesting, because up to that point Hyakkimaru has been very much a machine. Him picking up that kid and pushing back dororo were all very much machinelike, this is sort of the first time we see him show appreciable sympathy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Seemingly in this incarnation Hyaki has spent his life without voice, hearing, touch, taste, sight or possibly any real human interaction outside of anyone that would care enough to deal with him or be in trouble like that kid falling down the hill. The blind man at least knows how to interact with people, speak to people, hear things, etc; but maybe he was waiting for the opportunity to present itself. Hyakimaru just wonders until something red/blood colored enough comes at him or he's hungry and just eats meat and berries raw. He's straight up a wild man that Dororo probably has to tame a bit the more he regains back, from learning how to deal with pain to actual social cues.

68 Hyaki would have probably murdered the villagers that tried to restrain him. But this one, without seeing some deliberate threat color just let them toss him around. That might change when he can feel pain and get frustrated at these colors hurting him when they shouldn't, or can now hear and perceive people in ways besides looking directly at their soul.

Hyaki is shown to be literate, so he's more capable of human interaction than you might expect. Unfortunately, most of the people he has to deal with probably aren't literate.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think he does know how to interact with people, its just lacking every sense but his spirit one probably dulls everything about it.

He noticed Dororo's "flame" wavering to the point that it was barely noticeable and understood that he was feeling depressed about what had happened and tried to cheer him up. Which is interesting, because up to that point Hyakkimaru has been very much a machine. Him picking up that kid and pushing back dororo were all very much machinelike, this is sort of the first time we see him show appreciable sympathy.

This is a good point. The show goes out of it's way to show these clear moments of empathy so there is some measure of humanity in him, perhaps instilled in him by the prosthetics guy the show flashes to occasionally.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Silver2195 posted:

Hyaki is shown to be literate, so he's more capable of human interaction than you might expect. Unfortunately, most of the people he has to deal with probably aren't literate.

Outside of that he can't do much right now to connect to people who don't give him a chance like Dororo, Jukai or Lute Priest. Especially if they're near Goblins/Demons or get freaked out by his appearance.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Another great episode. This is turning into a season highlight for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seems kinda lame that he got a body part from a predator monster that was easily owned with a stick but that's about the only complaint i have

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don't give a poo poo about the old show or manga, sorry. I'm enjoying this show a lot. Cried at episode 3, even. It's definitely my favorite ongoing show besides Mob.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

dogsicle posted:

seems kinda lame that he got a body part from a predator monster that was easily owned with a stick but that's about the only complaint i have

i think it's a decent way to explain why he's going on a quest to hunt demons instead of staying with the doctor, though it's pretty lucky for him that the first of the 12 demons to go after him was a total scrub

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RottenK posted:

i think it's a decent way to explain why he's going on a quest to hunt demons instead of staying with the doctor, though it's pretty lucky for him that the first of the 12 demons to go after him was a total scrub

Well, he was already slaughtering local monsters by the dozen before he got lucky and found one of the twelve. Turns out a natural knack for violence, a sixth sense to replace the missing ones, and a complete immunity to pain and fear all come together to make someone pretty dangerous even before he gets knife hands.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nanigans posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the old show or manga, sorry. I'm enjoying this show a lot. Cried at episode 3, even. It's definitely my favorite ongoing show besides Mob.

This was a great episode, I think they might have just fumbled that initial story because it didn't fit with the voiceless / insensate version of Hyakkimaru in this show.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, he was already slaughtering local monsters by the dozen before he got lucky and found one of the twelve. Turns out a natural knack for violence, a sixth sense to replace the missing ones, and a complete immunity to pain and fear all come together to make someone pretty dangerous even before he gets knife hands.

oh i don't disasgree that he was already a great fighter by that point, but the sticky tongue dude still seemed like a weakling if you compare him to the other 2 important demons we saw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Posting like this is just going to make me double down my '69 supremacy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RottenK posted:

i guess my thought on it would be to swap Hyakki coming back all hosed up to be a result of the fight with the big deal demon and have it be the Kamaitachi instead (but maybe it will show up later in the series?) and he can regrow the leg at home.

but honestly would be a lot of rewrite for an episode that does perfectly well as-is :shrug:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Posting like this is just going to make me double down my '69 supremacy.

The cycle of violence....

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I was really liking this episode but then it pulled out of the flashback and Dororo and the old guy repeated what was literally just said.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor: Someone must have sold your body in return for power. FLASHBACK ENDS Dororo: So somebody sold his body for power and now he'll get his body parts back after killing demons? Old Man: That's right. If he kills demons, he'll get his body parts back. Somebody must have sold his body for power.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Just for anyone who might be interested here's Hyakkimaru's first kill in the original
https://my.mixtape.moe/ohqjca.webm

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

nice

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got that ivanka neck going on

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i did think it was good that they showed Dororo realizing whats up with Hyakki since he should probably be on the same page as the audience asap, but i guess in retrospect it's weirdly framed to have us come out of the flashback into blind guy somehow explaining all the relevant info to Dororo. and also kinda weird to have the blind guy explaining this as if he really knows anything about Hyakki...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I thought the shot at the end of episode 2 where Hyakkimaru got his nervous system back was just a cool effect and we’d find out what he actually got back this week. But then they had the scene with the fire and boy did I feel dumb.

What I’m getting at is sometimes things need to be reemphasized so dummies like me get it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't really understand how the blind guy was supposed to know anything of Hyakki's history with the doctor and I think he probably didn't, the flashback was for us but all Dororo got (imo) is the bit that he got cursed, somehow (since the old man did know that) and that his parts come back when he kills demons (since they witnessed that), but the way the two scenes transition it puts them together as if Dororo just got told the entire tale which was probably not a very good way to do that.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

GorfZaplen posted:

Doctor: Someone must have sold your body in return for power. FLASHBACK ENDS Dororo: So somebody sold his body for power and now he'll get his body parts back after killing demons? Old Man: That's right. If he kills demons, he'll get his body parts back. Somebody must have sold his body for power.

i feel like you're exagerrating the repetition a little bit

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

basically you have:

- Episode 1, we the audience see the curse happen
- Episode 3, in the flashback Jukai mentions the curse while giving Hyakkimaru his sword arms, which i guess would be for his benefit if he could hear
- Episode 3, flashback ends and Hyakki bids farewell to Jukai, camera goes fuzzy and fades back in on Dororo having the curse explained to him by Biwa

i think the Jukai bit is iffy, because hey you'd probably still talk to the deaf mute kid in some way. but it also means we get two similar mentions of the curse within a few minutes of each other and one doesn't have much purpose even in-show. this same deal happened with Hyakki's spirit sight in episode 2, where you've seen it used by both him and Biwa, a narrator then explains it to you, and then Biwa explains it to Dororo later in the same episode.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think narratively Dororo does needs to be told things so that they know them, but if the audience is also shown/told the same things in addition it makes their role as audience surrogate kinda redundant.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's a nice and concise way of putting it

i definitely appreciate the moments we've gotten inside Hyakki's head/past so it is unfortunate that those things have kinda by design carried this consequence of repetition

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

RottenK posted:

i feel like you're exagerrating the repetition a little bit

That's what they said, I can get a clip

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

While the repetition is a bit much, but given what I've had to suffer through in other anime it's positively brief here by comparison.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They should have waited until Hyakkimaru got his voice back to explain anything but this adaptation has no patience

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

GorfZaplen posted:

That's what they said, I can get a clip
Sorry, you're definitely exaggerating how bad the dialogue was. A more accurate summary would be:

quote:

Doctor: Someone must have sold your body in return for power.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Dororo: So he'll get his body parts back after killing demons?
Old Man: That's right. Somebody must have sold his body for power.

I'll agree the repetition is bad and that sequence could have gotten more polish but it's not Metal Gear Solid levels of bad repetition.

I won't deny that there are some sketchy directorial decisions. For example, the transition from Jukai giving a sword to Hyakkimaru into Tahomaru's training confused me for a bit because it seemed like Hyakkimaru got his voice back for a moment before they actually revealed who was swordfighting. It's also unclear why Jukai suddenly decided to jump off the cliff after seeing a woman die. I read some speculation that maybe it was his wife, but I thought it was the wife of one of the soldiers and the distinction is pretty important; did he kill himself because he lost someone he loves or did he kill himself because a civilian got killed? Despite that I don't think there's enough bad directing to outweigh the good yet and I'm enjoying the good parts enough to keep watching.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 23, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was already a task that was clearly weighing on him and seeing a civilian die simply for trying to save a loved one was enough to push him over the edge. Does there really need to be any more specific reason? Any further explanation could only really hurt that beat.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah. The impression I got was that it was the straw that broke the canel’s back, not that she had any personal connection to him.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Same. I didn’t think there was any ambiguity to that scene.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ep 3 made me tear up when Hyakkimaru touched Jukai's face to say goodbye

The direction and pacing of certain scenes seem a little off but overall I'm enjoying this 'me

Helps that the OP/ED slap and are short so I never skip them

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm skipping them they are both awful

it's a shame because the op/ed animation are pretty rad but whew that song choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Is it a trope where medieval Ronin anime have terrible Engrish songs