Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They really cucked the themes on this story adaptation too. Dororo bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They turned a story about how people use weapons to take their own guilt and trauma out on others into a generic demon sword story, all of my predictions about this show are coming true. I eagerly await the episode set in the dog fighting village that decides that dog fighting is harsh but an economic necessity for low income villages, and the demon tree episode that is pro deforestation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want to like this show, the art is good, the character designs are excellent, the soundtrack is top notch, but the writing is stripping away everything that made this story interesting and resonant to me in the first place.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
tezuka's stuff being whitewashed is nothing new

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

obviously what we really need is an adaptation of MW

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

obviously what we really need is an adaptation of MW

:stonklol:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I liked the episode a lot. The action was cool. If you want the old story, read/watch that. If it’s the same story 100%, what’s the point

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think the ragging on this show in relation to the old version isn't terribly helpful on a week-to-week basis, but would probably be better when all is said and done and people itt may be looking toward the manga/old anime/ps2 game as other interpretations of the story.

i'm still sorting through my thoughts on this specific ep, but as someone not familiar with the old version, this one still does seem lackluster in the writing department. animation and overall aesthetic remains top notch though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nanigans posted:

I liked the episode a lot. The action was cool. If you want the old story, read/watch that. If it’s the same story 100%, what’s the point

They turned a story about how charity demoralizes and the ruling class exploits the populace, into a story about how rural people are cowards and liars who need to be taught a lesson.

They turned a story about how young boys fantasize about war, and about a soldier who was so afraid of trying to re-integrate into normal society that he'd rather cling to violence, into one where an impersonal supernatural force is to blame for everything.

Artistic license doesn't mean you can't be criticized for making a completely depoliticized and toothless version of a manga that was really angry about injustice and war. They could have changed things to be more relevant to modern politics vs. the old show that was very much about post-war Japan, but this version is just completely terrified of making an actual statement.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They turned a story about how charity demoralizes and the ruling class exploits the populace, into a story about how rural people are cowards and liars who need to be taught a lesson.

They turned a story about how young boys fantasize about war, and about a soldier who was so afraid of trying to re-integrate into normal society that he'd rather cling to violence, into one where an impersonal supernatural force is to blame for everything.

Artistic license doesn't mean you can't be criticized for making a completely depoliticized and toothless version of a manga that was really angry about injustice and war. They could have changed things to be more relevant to modern politics vs. the old show that was very much about post-war Japan, but this version is just completely terrified of making an actual statement.

Thank you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On a positive note I do like that the first thing Hyakkimaru hears with his new ears is the sister crying. That's a genuinely clever touch that isn't there in the old show because it pretty much glosses over his sensory disabilities.

e: I don't think the writing is completely inept in terms of the characters' personal journey, but it's like if somebody remade Black Hawk Down or Apocalypse Now or something and painstakingly removed everything about America's role in the respective wars or the larger forces involved. The absence is deafening.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Like wut? Maybe it was significantly better in the original, but the metaphor doesn't really get more blatant than here. The demon sword is a thing that only exists because of the demands of the ruling class, and that the soldier longs for even when it's no longer directly influencing him. I don't think it takes a galaxy brain intellect to make the connection that it's metaphorical for state demanded violence.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanigans posted:

The original isn't without it's missteps and I like the aesthetic this show has brought. My hope for this show was that it would keep the best parts of the original and bring out the good parts of the bad, and make the decent stuff even better. What I'm trying to express in this thread isn't my belief that the old show is inherently superior, but more my exasperation and disappointment in how bland this adaptation is.

The Jukai episode is the closest to what I had hoped for, it took aspects that weren't really explored in the original like Jukai serving in the army and made them an entire character arc. That episode wasn't perfect but it was good! It carried a lot more emotion in the relationship between Hyakkimaru and Jukai than in other adaptations that treat Jukai as a narrative tool to give Hyakkimaru sword arms. It asked questions about whether or not someone who has committed grievous crimes can ever truly atone for what they have done. That episode was also the first time this show had been patient. I'm fine with changing the story but there's no patience or tension in this adaptation. It's boring to watch.

I'll shut up about the original for now and I still intend to watch this show to see how they adapt some of the later stories I really enjoy that aren't as thematically dense.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On a positive note I do like that the first thing Hyakkimaru hears with his new ears is the sister crying. That's a genuinely clever touch that isn't there in the old show because it pretty much glosses over his sensory disabilities.

I really liked how it was just an overwhelming wall of noise at first. Experiencing a sense for the first time must be terrifying!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like wut? Maybe it was significantly better in the original, but the metaphor doesn't really get more blatant than here. The demon sword is a thing that only exists because of the demands of the ruling class, and that the soldier longs for even when it's no longer directly influencing him. I don't think it takes a galaxy brain intellect to make the connection that it's metaphorical for state demanded violence.

That's certainly a reading but it's not an obvious one. And it's complicated by the fact that he does seem to have some sense of self-awareness of his evilness since he folded that other crane, but still goes out to get the sword anyway.

I think the show has ideas but it's not presenting them well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Demon Sword here is an already-cursed item that the samurai general doesn't understand or believe in, and it kills him almost as soon as it's unleashed. It indicts him for his personal cruelty -- by being such a monster he inadvertently unleashed the sword -- but it doesn't go much further than that. It also downplays the brother's conflicted attempts at abandoning the sword before finally deciding for himself that he can't live without it (vs. nearly-mute acceptance that it's not done with him) and completely excises the part about Dororo thinking violence is awesome.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only time the sword's magic power impacted the plot was in forcing Dororo to take it back to it's wielder. I doesn't even look usable for fighting until a man has been forced to murder several people with it, and returns to its rusted state as soon as that man dies. The sword is the soldier's violent nature as forced on him by the upper class, there is no more magic to it than that. Like it's perfectly fine to say that the show could have executed on the idea better, but it's bordering on being willfully obtuse to claim the ideas aren't there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Where was the blind guy in all this?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Demon Sword here is an already-cursed item that the samurai general doesn't understand or believe in, and it kills him almost as soon as it's unleashed. It indicts him for his personal cruelty -- by being such a monster he inadvertently unleashed the sword -- but it doesn't go much further than that. It also downplays the brother's conflicted attempts at abandoning the sword before finally deciding for himself that he can't live without it (vs. nearly-mute acceptance that it's not done with him) and completely excises the part about Dororo thinking violence is awesome.

I know I just said I'd stop talking about the original but it having a story about how children are attracted to weapons and violence because they let them inflict their pain and trauma on the rest of the world was one of the unfortunately timelier themes of the original

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Where was the blind guy in all this?
presumably being off screen for the crime of being a mostly superfluous character.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be honest my reading is they took a story about a supernatural force that toys with weak humans into a story about how power (in this case, in the form of money) can corrupt and affect people, which was revisited in a different way in this episode!

The only complaints I have about the execution for this one is that they made Nihiru's origin and the way the fight ends less interesting. In the original version, Nirihu isn't a random relic lying in a treasury, but Tanosuke's original sword that got warped into a demonic force from all the killing he was forced to do, which is nice symbolism for his actions and the corruption he suffers. (I guess there's a plothole timewise if the sword didn't exist when Hyakkimaru was born? Seems easy to handwave away though.) Meanwhile, the fight between Tanosuke and Hyakkimaru in the original ends with Tanosuke stabbing himself to satisfy the sword's bloodlust, which hints that Tanosuke might be feeling guilt over his actions and emphasizes the theme that the humans are fundamentally good but can be corrupted by greater powers whether that power is external or given to them.

Also Nihiru being a regular sword with a neon sticker is lame, if you're going to make it an ancient relic make it look cooler. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is it really toothless when the episodes so far show all the negative consequences of war? Ep 3 had deserters being crucified and this episode has a civilian getting killed in the name of war. The plot of the episode is even "a soldier becomes a serial killer because of the time he served in the army."

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 29, 2019

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I just realized that the dog hasn't shown up since the first episode and that's the actual worst thing this adaptation has done

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hell of a cliffhanger this ep, pretty bleak episode. It's interesting how they're expanding smaller parts of the original...I wish they could do it without compressing the parts that were good to begin with, but I'm willing to see where this goes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why are all these demons just hanging out on vacant lots and committing robbery.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The demon economy is rough, not enough people offering their firstborn child for power and riches.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Was Feudal Japan known for its active and thriving economy? Gotta find those people to murder.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the tokugawa economy exploded upwards the moment the daimyo stopped trying to all mass murder one another and trade goods could flow from one end of the realm to the other

also, this show is plenty angry enough at the samurai (gently caress em)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

the tokugawa economy exploded upwards the moment the daimyo stopped trying to all mass murder one another and trade goods could flow from one end of the realm to the other

also, this show is plenty angry enough at the samurai (gently caress em)

It's just going to get angrier, or it better at least

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 6, 2019

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
loving yikes, man

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

GorfZaplen posted:

It's just going to get angrier, or it better at least

Uh yeah, this episode has made it clear how all samurai need to die.

Especially since someone's gonna tell the commander that someone attacked them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RottenK posted:

loving yikes, man

People need to learn to say (even if in spoilers) why they're reacting this way for others who have not yet seen the episode.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
no they dont

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
:cry: I need to stop watching this show while I have dinner. Not because it was gross to watch period, (because I'm desensitized to violence), but because it's too gross to try to chew while tears stream down my face. :cry:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I hope Gorf is happy, because this certain is - wow.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't finished the episode but it's stupid that he just, got his leg back.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HOw's that even work. Did two demons both claim his leg?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bad news about his dick: no demon claimed it but it's still not there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hyakkimaru killing samurai was explicitly framed as a bad thing, so this adaptation remains fail.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Killing samurai is bad, and self actualizing at the expense of your dictator father is also bad - Dororo 2009

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also another episode where Dororo strictly has a caretaker role, some greatest thief in the world he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Hyakkimaru killing samurai was explicitly framed as a bad thing, so this adaptation remains fail.

nah, killing samurai is cool and good. losing yourself over to revenge is bad