Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I got a taste for this with the first episode, and went back to watch the 1969 show.

And Jesus Christ I was not prepared for what looked like a pretty by-the-numbers horror anime to go full-on "no war but class war, gently caress the samurai, they can't die out soon enough!"

I love how much sympathy and nuance it lavishes on these characters without treating them like saints just because they're suffering and poor, either. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah they completely butchered the story that sold me on the original anime. Oh well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the old show or manga, sorry. I'm enjoying this show a lot. Cried at episode 3, even. It's definitely my favorite ongoing show besides Mob.

This was a great episode, I think they might have just fumbled that initial story because it didn't fit with the voiceless / insensate version of Hyakkimaru in this show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I liked the episode a lot. The action was cool. If you want the old story, read/watch that. If it’s the same story 100%, what’s the point

They turned a story about how charity demoralizes and the ruling class exploits the populace, into a story about how rural people are cowards and liars who need to be taught a lesson.

They turned a story about how young boys fantasize about war, and about a soldier who was so afraid of trying to re-integrate into normal society that he'd rather cling to violence, into one where an impersonal supernatural force is to blame for everything.

Artistic license doesn't mean you can't be criticized for making a completely depoliticized and toothless version of a manga that was really angry about injustice and war. They could have changed things to be more relevant to modern politics vs. the old show that was very much about post-war Japan, but this version is just completely terrified of making an actual statement.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On a positive note I do like that the first thing Hyakkimaru hears with his new ears is the sister crying. That's a genuinely clever touch that isn't there in the old show because it pretty much glosses over his sensory disabilities.

e: I don't think the writing is completely inept in terms of the characters' personal journey, but it's like if somebody remade Black Hawk Down or Apocalypse Now or something and painstakingly removed everything about America's role in the respective wars or the larger forces involved. The absence is deafening.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like wut? Maybe it was significantly better in the original, but the metaphor doesn't really get more blatant than here. The demon sword is a thing that only exists because of the demands of the ruling class, and that the soldier longs for even when it's no longer directly influencing him. I don't think it takes a galaxy brain intellect to make the connection that it's metaphorical for state demanded violence.

The Demon Sword here is an already-cursed item that the samurai general doesn't understand or believe in, and it kills him almost as soon as it's unleashed. It indicts him for his personal cruelty -- by being such a monster he inadvertently unleashed the sword -- but it doesn't go much further than that. It also downplays the brother's conflicted attempts at abandoning the sword before finally deciding for himself that he can't live without it (vs. nearly-mute acceptance that it's not done with him) and completely excises the part about Dororo thinking violence is awesome.