Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope they use blood will tells version of the ending :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There's plenty of foreshadowing about whats going to happen now. He takes a hit when fighting the demon and shakes it off because he couldn't feel pain. Now he's got his nervous system back and is recoiling. The old man says a pretty ominous thing "Its normal for those that have sight to be tricked", Hyakimaru is going to get it sooner rather than later.

I think the direction so far is fine, its a two cour show so theres plenty of time to expand on other themes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think he does know how to interact with people, its just lacking every sense but his spirit one probably dulls everything about it.

He noticed Dororo's "flame" wavering to the point that it was barely noticeable and understood that he was feeling depressed about what had happened and tried to cheer him up. Which is interesting, because up to that point Hyakkimaru has been very much a machine. Him picking up that kid and pushing back dororo were all very much machinelike, this is sort of the first time we see him show appreciable sympathy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got that ivanka neck going on

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

HOw's that even work. Did two demons both claim his leg?

The demons can only claim one body part at a time, so the moment it took the leg it gave up what it had before, which was the voice

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think a lot of your issues is that from the start its been doing its own thing and that just heavily embitters you against the show and whatever merit it might have.

Like on one case you were complaining that the show went over explaining the spirit sight too much and how it cheapens the plot without looking at the potential that Hyaki regaining his senses would be actively detrimental to his mission. Which surprise surprise, is the direction the show took. And then the show doesn't really explain to you what happens with the leg and voice, but it can be easily inferred and you complain that it doesn't make sense.

Having Hyaki's first use of his voice to scream out in pain was pretty good, having him be pretty quiet even after getting his voice because he's never depended on it and because it bothers him, till he screams out in blind anger at Mio's death is also good. Her not being able to hear his voice, his first words being her name is a tragedy. I haven't read/seen the original, but I'm having a hard time imagining they could have been done better from a story telling perspective given that Hyaki was supposed to telepathically beam his thoughts to people.

Your other complain about the samurai and capitalism or whatever might hold more merit, but again this is a 24 episode series. Its laying the groundwork for both of these issues, just differently.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 12, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

My complaint isn't that the show is doing it's own thing and that's bad, it's that it's own thing is boring.

I still think the demon sight and the leg are still stupid? I don't think there's any gotcha there. If anything his leg returning this episode works against him regaining his body as a detriment, if it really wanted to go all in on that he would have lost his leg permanently this time. The fact he got it back means his losing the leg was just meant to be a wicked cliffhanger and nothing more. It walked back on a dramatic raising of the stakes that I was legitimately impressed by last week, which is pretty disappointing!

I dont agree, Hyaki is an interesting character and the way he's developing is good and novel even if its easy to predict the short term. For all the complaints of telling and not showing, a lot of the gut punches in the last episodes were all shown with no character pointing out what happened. Mio breaking down in tears as she laid dying trying to sing hits you a lot harder when you remember that she sings so that she wouldn't cry. Like you could tell she was going to die the moment she showed up but not that it would be this painful. Likewise Hyaki's reaction.

And yeah I thought the leg coming back up might be a little cheap, except you know the entire point that Hyaki is a much stronger murder machine as a semi emotionless robot than as a human. It might also lull viewers into a false sense of security because while Hyaki has plot armor against demons, it doesn't necessarily apply to people.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You dont need to start right out of the gate by saying gently caress THE SAMURAI, gently caress FEUDALISM, gently caress MACRO LEVEL FEUDALISM (IMPERIALISM), gently caress CAPITALISM TOO!

There's really no point when Hyaki is in the state he was at the start of the series. Its building up to it, as Hyaki gains more of his senses he can see the plight around him instead of just his own. I'm sure that the intent is to follow through with the core of the message, specially when the story transitions to Dororo's and the inevitable confrontation with the lord.

But its not even subtle, we have the lords wife, that the show has always portrayed as good and a victim as well, outright tell him that he, her and the entire domain could just crumble one day. That the sacrifices aren't worth it. That there is no point in war. I dont see how this could be interpreted as anything but anti feudal/imperialist.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently this is an anime original episode and its a nice breather after the last episodes. There's also a few hints of what could happen later on. When the spider demon says to the man that she never harms people and just lets them recover she's clearly lying, but shes lying so that he wouldn't be disappointed or hate her. When Hyaki sees her spirit shes bright red like all the other demons he's fought, but when she's standing by the wounded man with him begging to spare her, her spirit starts to whiten. Its then that Hyaki lowers his guard and lets them flee.

Dororo mentions that its good that he got his hearing back because it was that impassioned plea that changes Hyaki's mind, but it was entirely his spirit sight. It goes back to what the old man said in EP2 about those with sight being easily tricked, things wont be the same once Hyaki regains it

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dororo Rising

Also episode was good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I liked that Tahomaru explicitly does not take the easy way out, like his father did. He jumped right in, put himself in risk and refused to sacrifice one of his retainers. The animation quality was monster of the week bad, but the character development and series composition makes a whole lot more sense, you can actually see where the story is going

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean he was specifically looking for him so its much less awkward

Story wise I wasnt expecting it to come in so early, I know that its about the same time as the manga did it but Tahomaru is a completely different character than he was in the manga from what I gather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It was the dude that made the renowned 4th episode of gurren lagan