Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

GorfZaplen posted:

That's what they said, I can get a clip
Sorry, you're definitely exaggerating how bad the dialogue was. A more accurate summary would be:

quote:

Doctor: Someone must have sold your body in return for power.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Dororo: So he'll get his body parts back after killing demons?
Old Man: That's right. Somebody must have sold his body for power.

I'll agree the repetition is bad and that sequence could have gotten more polish but it's not Metal Gear Solid levels of bad repetition.

I won't deny that there are some sketchy directorial decisions. For example, the transition from Jukai giving a sword to Hyakkimaru into Tahomaru's training confused me for a bit because it seemed like Hyakkimaru got his voice back for a moment before they actually revealed who was swordfighting. It's also unclear why Jukai suddenly decided to jump off the cliff after seeing a woman die. I read some speculation that maybe it was his wife, but I thought it was the wife of one of the soldiers and the distinction is pretty important; did he kill himself because he lost someone he loves or did he kill himself because a civilian got killed? Despite that I don't think there's enough bad directing to outweigh the good yet and I'm enjoying the good parts enough to keep watching.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They turned a story about how charity demoralizes and the ruling class exploits the populace, into a story about how rural people are cowards and liars who need to be taught a lesson.
To be honest my reading is they took a story about a supernatural force that toys with weak humans into a story about how power (in this case, in the form of money) can corrupt and affect people, which was revisited in a different way in this episode!

The only complaints I have about the execution for this one is that they made Nihiru's origin and the way the fight ends less interesting. In the original version, Nirihu isn't a random relic lying in a treasury, but Tanosuke's original sword that got warped into a demonic force from all the killing he was forced to do, which is nice symbolism for his actions and the corruption he suffers. (I guess there's a plothole timewise if the sword didn't exist when Hyakkimaru was born? Seems easy to handwave away though.) Meanwhile, the fight between Tanosuke and Hyakkimaru in the original ends with Tanosuke stabbing himself to satisfy the sword's bloodlust, which hints that Tanosuke might be feeling guilt over his actions and emphasizes the theme that the humans are fundamentally good but can be corrupted by greater powers whether that power is external or given to them.

Also Nihiru being a regular sword with a neon sticker is lame, if you're going to make it an ancient relic make it look cooler. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Artistic license doesn't mean you can't be criticized for making a completely depoliticized and toothless version of a manga that was really angry about injustice and war. They could have changed things to be more relevant to modern politics vs. the old show that was very much about post-war Japan, but this version is just completely terrified of making an actual statement.
Is it really toothless when the episodes so far show all the negative consequences of war? Ep 3 had deserters being crucified and this episode has a civilian getting killed in the name of war. The plot of the episode is even "a soldier becomes a serial killer because of the time he served in the army."

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 29, 2019

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

The demon economy is rough, not enough people offering their firstborn child for power and riches.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I hope you'll forgive me for being so cynical of this adaptation when from my point of view it's working at cross purposes with the source material.
It sounds like the majority of your complaints are stemming from the assumption that the source material for this anime is the older anime, but the source material is actually the manga.