Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The 60s show was one of my favorite anime I watched last year so I'm interested in this one...first episode was good but not great. It looks excellent and has great sound design and music. A few really big changes from the original that I'm not thrilled about but if they do something cool with them I'll be fine...I hope it can keep it up, because I can still see this fizzling out in a way that it can't recover from.

Subs aren't accessible on Amazon yet so look in the usual places if you want to see it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Other than Amazon apparently being kind of poo poo with sub boxes and a little iffy translation, its a good start. They condensed a lot of info and have a good balance between body horror, animation style that has kind of a seamless transition between 3D ish monsters and effects with computer animated 2D and character depictions that so far are spot on for a Dororo that's shortening 48 demons to 12. It even sort of follows the pacing of the original 60s anime, but more conscise and with villages that actually look habitable. The late 60s anime had people just basically living in rubble next to desiccated corpses while here there is at least a village.

And since this series is abandoned just like Daigo did to Hyakkimaru, they may just rip off the ending from the video games, but much more justifiably when Tezuka just dropped it.

I think the village being inhabited is a strike against this anime, not for it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bones and corpses litter the streets. Homes and shops have fallen to ruin. Soldiers slaughter and pillage like bandits, and even noble priests starve to death. It's never clear if it's day or if it's night. Daigo has brought hell to this world.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also the original anime had an ending that Tezuka had a hand in, that ran concurrently with the cancellation of the manga! Why do people keep saying it's unfinished!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm glad, based off of this and some of the imagery in the OP they'll hopefully adapt some of my favorite stories from the original, which would be awesome to see if they can keep up this level of quality

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

Dororo is way down at the 15th result for "Dororo" on Amazon... this fuckin company. I feel compelled to watch it on their site to show that there's interest in them continuing to bring anime over, but it's a struggle to feel like they give a poo poo.

Flip that on it's head and think about if Amazon didn't bring it over, then maybe someone else would pick those shows up and people would actually watch them

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The monkey's paw answer for that is that then they'd get picked up by Netflix and we'd have to wait even longer before they come out.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly i thought the direction the show was going to go in was "as demons are defeated and hyakkimaru regains his lost body, disasters begin to befall the people once more"

sounds like that's not how the source material went though

That'd be a cool direction the show could take. I don't see why it couldn't happen though, it's already made some big changes from the original and honestly no version of Dororo is like the others, it's a story that's pretty easy to modify for your own ends

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got a taste for this with the first episode, and went back to watch the 1969 show.

And Jesus Christ I was not prepared for what looked like a pretty by-the-numbers horror anime to go full-on "no war but class war, gently caress the samurai, they can't die out soon enough!"

I love how much sympathy and nuance it lavishes on these characters without treating them like saints just because they're suffering and poor, either. It's so good.

Unfortunately it looks like they've scrubbed the class themes out of this adaptation entirely which is pretty disappointing. There's also no tension or terror either, this was pretty disappointing compared to the original.

I also don't like that Hyakkimaru recovering his body is tied to his father's land getting worse, it increases the tragic tension sure but it breaks apart the themes of trauma and self actualization that made the original so compelling to me.

I'll still keep watching this for awhile, especially to see if they adapt some of the later stories with the animation style they're using here which could be really amazing to see, but so far it's pretty disappointing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

So pro strat here is watch this one all the way through then go back and watch the original to avoid expectation poisoning?

We'll see. The original morphs into a totally different kind of show halfway through, one that's more monster of the week and somewhat more comedic. I don't wholly dislike these and a lot of my favorite episodes are from this phase of the show but the nuance and complexity of the first part is definitely missing.

Based on how they adapted this story I'm more nervous than excited to see how they adapt some of the stories from this later period, some of which could be absolutely amazing in the new style if done right.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really dislike the soul sight thing, it utterly removes any tension from the storyline because Hyakkimaru and the old guy can just know people's true intentions.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanigans posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the old show or manga, sorry. I'm enjoying this show a lot. Cried at episode 3, even. It's definitely my favorite ongoing show besides Mob.

Posting like this is just going to make me double down my '69 supremacy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I was really liking this episode but then it pulled out of the flashback and Dororo and the old guy repeated what was literally just said.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor: Someone must have sold your body in return for power. FLASHBACK ENDS Dororo: So somebody sold his body for power and now he'll get his body parts back after killing demons? Old Man: That's right. If he kills demons, he'll get his body parts back. Somebody must have sold his body for power.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Just for anyone who might be interested here's Hyakkimaru's first kill in the original
https://my.mixtape.moe/ohqjca.webm

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

RottenK posted:

i feel like you're exagerrating the repetition a little bit

That's what they said, I can get a clip

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They should have waited until Hyakkimaru got his voice back to explain anything but this adaptation has no patience

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They really cucked the themes on this story adaptation too. Dororo bad!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They turned a story about how people use weapons to take their own guilt and trauma out on others into a generic demon sword story, all of my predictions about this show are coming true. I eagerly await the episode set in the dog fighting village that decides that dog fighting is harsh but an economic necessity for low income villages, and the demon tree episode that is pro deforestation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want to like this show, the art is good, the character designs are excellent, the soundtrack is top notch, but the writing is stripping away everything that made this story interesting and resonant to me in the first place.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They turned a story about how charity demoralizes and the ruling class exploits the populace, into a story about how rural people are cowards and liars who need to be taught a lesson.

They turned a story about how young boys fantasize about war, and about a soldier who was so afraid of trying to re-integrate into normal society that he'd rather cling to violence, into one where an impersonal supernatural force is to blame for everything.

Artistic license doesn't mean you can't be criticized for making a completely depoliticized and toothless version of a manga that was really angry about injustice and war. They could have changed things to be more relevant to modern politics vs. the old show that was very much about post-war Japan, but this version is just completely terrified of making an actual statement.

Thank you

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanigans posted:

I liked the episode a lot. The action was cool. If you want the old story, read/watch that. If it’s the same story 100%, what’s the point

The original isn't without it's missteps and I like the aesthetic this show has brought. My hope for this show was that it would keep the best parts of the original and bring out the good parts of the bad, and make the decent stuff even better. What I'm trying to express in this thread isn't my belief that the old show is inherently superior, but more my exasperation and disappointment in how bland this adaptation is.

The Jukai episode is the closest to what I had hoped for, it took aspects that weren't really explored in the original like Jukai serving in the army and made them an entire character arc. That episode wasn't perfect but it was good! It carried a lot more emotion in the relationship between Hyakkimaru and Jukai than in other adaptations that treat Jukai as a narrative tool to give Hyakkimaru sword arms. It asked questions about whether or not someone who has committed grievous crimes can ever truly atone for what they have done. That episode was also the first time this show had been patient. I'm fine with changing the story but there's no patience or tension in this adaptation. It's boring to watch.

I'll shut up about the original for now and I still intend to watch this show to see how they adapt some of the later stories I really enjoy that aren't as thematically dense.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On a positive note I do like that the first thing Hyakkimaru hears with his new ears is the sister crying. That's a genuinely clever touch that isn't there in the old show because it pretty much glosses over his sensory disabilities.

I really liked how it was just an overwhelming wall of noise at first. Experiencing a sense for the first time must be terrifying!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Where was the blind guy in all this?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Demon Sword here is an already-cursed item that the samurai general doesn't understand or believe in, and it kills him almost as soon as it's unleashed. It indicts him for his personal cruelty -- by being such a monster he inadvertently unleashed the sword -- but it doesn't go much further than that. It also downplays the brother's conflicted attempts at abandoning the sword before finally deciding for himself that he can't live without it (vs. nearly-mute acceptance that it's not done with him) and completely excises the part about Dororo thinking violence is awesome.

I know I just said I'd stop talking about the original but it having a story about how children are attracted to weapons and violence because they let them inflict their pain and trauma on the rest of the world was one of the unfortunately timelier themes of the original

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I just realized that the dog hasn't shown up since the first episode and that's the actual worst thing this adaptation has done

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hell of a cliffhanger this ep, pretty bleak episode. It's interesting how they're expanding smaller parts of the original...I wish they could do it without compressing the parts that were good to begin with, but I'm willing to see where this goes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why are all these demons just hanging out on vacant lots and committing robbery.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

the tokugawa economy exploded upwards the moment the daimyo stopped trying to all mass murder one another and trade goods could flow from one end of the realm to the other

also, this show is plenty angry enough at the samurai (gently caress em)

It's just going to get angrier, or it better at least

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 6, 2019

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't finished the episode but it's stupid that he just, got his leg back.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HOw's that even work. Did two demons both claim his leg?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bad news about his dick: no demon claimed it but it's still not there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hyakkimaru killing samurai was explicitly framed as a bad thing, so this adaptation remains fail.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Killing samurai is bad, and self actualizing at the expense of your dictator father is also bad - Dororo 2009

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also another episode where Dororo strictly has a caretaker role, some greatest thief in the world he is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

nah, killing samurai is cool and good. losing yourself over to revenge is bad

Hmm...the only time this show has had any samurai being killed is in this act of revenge. Not sure it's exactly pro samurai murder, here!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The episode was good, or whatever, but it didn't address any of the fundamental flaws with the new adaptation. Hyakkimaru just fought another wild animal, again. The biggest issue is the way they've tied Hyakkimaru's journey of recovery to the decline of the land itself. Nothing that happened in this episode would have happened if Hyakkimaru hadn't killed any demons. That kind of blunts the emotional impact, to me. That kind of blunts any perceived anti-samurai sentiment, because the samurai wouldn't have moved, wouldn't have had a reason to move, if Hyakkimaru recovering himself hadn't directly caused the war that's happening. clears throat IN THE ORIGINAL the punchline was that even though Daigo sold his son to demons for control of all Japan, he didn't get that, he was just some backwater commander at war with some other backwater commander and the people he ruled over were screwed over for it. That's way more compelling to me, and way more reflective of the reality of why people go to war and what happens to the people caught in between in the modern era to me, than any of this forced tragic shonen arc crap.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

All that aside, let's get real: Hyakkimaru growing his leg back, again, is really stupid.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

So I'm not just making GBS threads on this and being a total downer, what this episode did with Taohmaru excites me. He's a good son driven by a need to impress parents who are only reminded of their secret other son when they see him. That's pretty compelling stuff!

The way the show has handled the slow teasing out of Dororo's backstory makes me feel good that they're going to do a good job telling it, and more than anything with Hyakkimaru it was Dororo who sold me on the original which is why the new calm caretaker Dororo is somewhat of a disappointment to me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

why do you keep posting 4-6 times in a row my man

I can post more, if you want me to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crabtree posted:

So its dumb in a series about demons that steal a baby's body parts to basically have one swap pieces with Hyakkimaru?

Also I think this Daigo would kill and make war whether or not his demons were getting murdered, its just another reason for him to do so. His grunts still just butchered a bunch of kids and a woman that slept around to survive because they suspected someone to be a spy. We're not only going to get samurai actively targeting Hyakkimaru now, but have a places and people go to poo poo because the false paradise Daigo's deal created is almost halfway undone by now. Daigo and his system are still going to gently caress people over.

Its not original, never will be. But Dororo 2019 is looking to have some teeth to what its gonna do.

ninjewtsu posted:

the theme of the land deteriorating is something that's been building in the background, hyakkimaru hasn't been directly confronted with the effects of his quest yet (i don't think he's aware at all that his demon killing is causing disaster to unfold again, certainly not that the current conflict he got wrapped up in happened because of him), so i'd say to wait and see how this plays out before already deciding you don't like it. personally, i think it's a pretty interesting angle to take! hyakkimaru has had a lot of sympathy built up for him by the narrative, and it's been a major theme that his father's act has removed his capacity to properly communicate with the people around him. i don't think the show is trying to pull some kind of "but should he just let the demons keep his organs?????" deal, but rather it's taking a closer look at the character of a person who had everything robbed from him at birth for his father's profit.

I think the reason I dislike the Daigo aspect in this because my conception of what Dororo is, is that although it is filled with misery and violence it isn't a tragic show. The original was a call for revolution which was a really bold and shocking thing for a 50 year old show to do. This adaptation is playing out like any other drama, in my eyes.

I still wouldn't really say it has teeth. The way it expands stuff like Jukai and Miko and Tahomaru is good, but I wish they weren't truncating the stories that were already great to do it. To me, Dororo is righteous anger, hosed up monsters, and brooding atmosphere and this has fallen short on all of that.

I hope you'll forgive me for being so cynical of this adaptation when from my point of view it's working at cross purposes with the source material.