Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope the rest of the show delivers on that dope OP animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also watching while unfamiliar with the source. I don't fully agree that showing a happy village after stating the nation is in a disaster is a bad thing. The whole point of the demonic pact was to end the suffering of his people, and a dozen years later here they are not suffering. As for what evil lurks behind this facade, I guess we'll find out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly i thought the direction the show was going to go in was "as demons are defeated and hyakkimaru regains his lost body, disasters begin to befall the people once more"

sounds like that's not how the source material went though

I didn't extrapolate to that, but now that you've done that for me I'm scared of where we might end up...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So episode 2.

I feel like that show's trying to channel a bit of Samurai Champloo with it's choice of OP and ED music. I like it, but idk if that's what it should try to be.

As for the episode itself, I noticed that some of the animation in this show feels janky and not well thought out. Stuff like Dororo throwing his head side to side while walking into town and the blind traveller just before he meets the pilgrim spirit. It's minor things here and there but bad enough to be noticable.

Story wise it was interesting and I have a sense of where they're going with it, but it wasn't very exciting overall. Part of that's because Hyakkimaru is nothing but a walking sword with evil sense so Dororo has to carry the show by himself, but the kid didn't do enough on his own to make up for it. I definitely want to give this a few more episodes to see if it picks up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There's plenty of foreshadowing about whats going to happen now. He takes a hit when fighting the demon and shakes it off because he couldn't feel pain. Now he's got his nervous system back and is recoiling. The old man says a pretty ominous thing "Its normal for those that have sight to be tricked", Hyakimaru is going to get it sooner rather than later.

I think the direction so far is fine, its a two cour show so theres plenty of time to expand on other themes.

I do like the thematic implications of the mechanics described so far which is a large part of why I'm interested in this show. I like the idea of people who are impaired to the literal nature of the world but are instead so tuned into its spiritual nature that they can sense the intent of a being's soul. I also like the poetic design of Hyakkimaru as someone who regains their physical humanity by smiting the demons that feast on the bounty of other humans. I'm curious to see if he retains his spiritual senses as he becomes more human, and if the show portrays this as personal growth or a tragic return to a status quo. Humans in this show have been pretty lovely so far.

There's a lot of ripe ideas here but the minute to minute of episode two was pretty boring for a lot of it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

As much as Hyakimaru could immaculately sense an immediate threat of a demon, he didn't personally do poo poo to the humans that enabled the monster that went around eating travelers to line their pockets. It isn't exactly something that Hyaki can turn on a dime right now and that probably can gently caress him down the line when he probably doesn't understand how the world of men works.

I didn't think of that. I guess that's the limitation of soul sensing: you can only clearly sense demonic mal intent. The show didn't show us the soul color of the villagers so this is just speculation, but it could also be the case that he's only sensing the nature of one's soul, whether it's a human/spirit/demon soul. But the blind man was able to recognize Hyakkimaru from his 'soul signature' so maybe there is a quality to souls that can be differentiated, but maybe Hyakkimaru is just a outlier as a demonically cursed human.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think he does know how to interact with people, its just lacking every sense but his spirit one probably dulls everything about it.

He noticed Dororo's "flame" wavering to the point that it was barely noticeable and understood that he was feeling depressed about what had happened and tried to cheer him up. Which is interesting, because up to that point Hyakkimaru has been very much a machine. Him picking up that kid and pushing back dororo were all very much machinelike, this is sort of the first time we see him show appreciable sympathy.

This is a good point. The show goes out of it's way to show these clear moments of empathy so there is some measure of humanity in him, perhaps instilled in him by the prosthetics guy the show flashes to occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like wut? Maybe it was significantly better in the original, but the metaphor doesn't really get more blatant than here. The demon sword is a thing that only exists because of the demands of the ruling class, and that the soldier longs for even when it's no longer directly influencing him. I don't think it takes a galaxy brain intellect to make the connection that it's metaphorical for state demanded violence.

That's certainly a reading but it's not an obvious one. And it's complicated by the fact that he does seem to have some sense of self-awareness of his evilness since he folded that other crane, but still goes out to get the sword anyway.

I think the show has ideas but it's not presenting them well.