Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

never heard of the original. thought episode 1 was dope as hell. i'm excited to watch more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Also watching while unfamiliar with the source. I don't fully agree that showing a happy village after stating the nation is in a disaster is a bad thing. The whole point of the demonic pact was to end the suffering of his people, and a dozen years later here they are not suffering. As for what evil lurks behind this facade, I guess we'll find out.

honestly i thought the direction the show was going to go in was "as demons are defeated and hyakkimaru regains his lost body, disasters begin to befall the people once more"

sounds like that's not how the source material went though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Hyakkimaru killing samurai was explicitly framed as a bad thing, so this adaptation remains fail.

nah, killing samurai is cool and good. losing yourself over to revenge is bad

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

why do you keep posting 4-6 times in a row my man

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Hmm...the only time this show has had any samurai being killed is in this act of revenge. Not sure it's exactly pro samurai murder, here!

it didn't humanize those samurai, and didn't paint their deaths as a bad thing either. it was bad for hyakkimaru to lose himself in a revenge mindset, a theme which was already ongoing with his refusal to wait until his wounds recovered before going after the monster. it is pro samurai murder, every time the samurai show up (these last couple of episodes and the demon sword episode), they'd been painted in a strictly horrific light, they've only caused awful things to happen, and no characters have been admonished for slaughtering them. as an internal theme, hyakkimaru seems to be going through an arc related to how his bloodlust isn't healthy for him personally, and that's a theme totally separate from whether or not samurai deserve to be on the receiving end of it.

GorfZaplen posted:

The episode was good, or whatever, but it didn't address any of the fundamental flaws with the new adaptation. Hyakkimaru just fought another wild animal, again. The biggest issue is the way they've tied Hyakkimaru's journey of recovery to the decline of the land itself. Nothing that happened in this episode would have happened if Hyakkimaru hadn't killed any demons. That kind of blunts the emotional impact, to me. That kind of blunts any perceived anti-samurai sentiment, because the samurai wouldn't have moved, wouldn't have had a reason to move, if Hyakkimaru recovering himself hadn't directly caused the war that's happening. clears throat IN THE ORIGINAL the punchline was that even though Daigo sold his son to demons for control of all Japan, he didn't get that, he was just some backwater commander at war with some other backwater commander and the people he ruled over were screwed over for it. That's way more compelling to me, and way more reflective of the reality of why people go to war and what happens to the people caught in between in the modern era to me, than any of this forced tragic shonen arc crap.

the theme of the land deteriorating is something that's been building in the background, hyakkimaru hasn't been directly confronted with the effects of his quest yet (i don't think he's aware at all that his demon killing is causing disaster to unfold again, certainly not that the current conflict he got wrapped up in happened because of him), so i'd say to wait and see how this plays out before already deciding you don't like it. personally, i think it's a pretty interesting angle to take! hyakkimaru has had a lot of sympathy built up for him by the narrative, and it's been a major theme that his father's act has removed his capacity to properly communicate with the people around him. i don't think the show is trying to pull some kind of "but should he just let the demons keep his organs?????" deal, but rather it's taking a closer look at the character of a person who had everything robbed from him at birth for his father's profit.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like the show but stuff like the part where hyakkimaru's quest was explained twice in the spam of 3 minutes, when the viewer had already easily inferred hyakkimaru's motives long before the first explanation, is mostly only defensible from a "it's dumb but not really a big deal" angle imo.

Similarly, I don't super care that dororo is completely superfluous 70% of the time, but it is correct that dororo has a really minor role in the show named after him, to the point of "why wasn't the kid just cut out entirely" could be a reasonable avenue of discussion. (It's because the show is named after him, but you know, besides that)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eh. The only episode I wasn't super into was the village run by a demon one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really liked the story as written, but i wasn't super fond of this episode. the animation was almost nonexistent, and the overall direction lacked the punch to really sell the story. it kinda sucks, i think that story could've been one of the better episodes if it didn't feel like everyone else involved just stopped trying or something.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked the detail of hyakkimaru throwing rocks to train his ability to hear distances after he found that he couldn't rely on his spirit sight anymore. there's been a nice evolution of his hearing at first being debilitating, then being a disadvantage, then being a relatively neutral thing for him, and now he's finally been able to utilize it to his advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

episode was alright. a lot of these episodes are serviceable to pretty good, but are generally lacking the extra oomph to really be great. i could see all the framework of a pretty good story here, but the end product is more "better than adequate" than anything