Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seems kinda lame that he got a body part from a predator monster that was easily owned with a stick but that's about the only complaint i have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RottenK posted:

i think it's a decent way to explain why he's going on a quest to hunt demons instead of staying with the doctor, though it's pretty lucky for him that the first of the 12 demons to go after him was a total scrub

i guess my thought on it would be to swap Hyakki coming back all hosed up to be a result of the fight with the big deal demon and have it be the Kamaitachi instead (but maybe it will show up later in the series?) and he can regrow the leg at home.

but honestly would be a lot of rewrite for an episode that does perfectly well as-is :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i did think it was good that they showed Dororo realizing whats up with Hyakki since he should probably be on the same page as the audience asap, but i guess in retrospect it's weirdly framed to have us come out of the flashback into blind guy somehow explaining all the relevant info to Dororo. and also kinda weird to have the blind guy explaining this as if he really knows anything about Hyakki...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

basically you have:

- Episode 1, we the audience see the curse happen
- Episode 3, in the flashback Jukai mentions the curse while giving Hyakkimaru his sword arms, which i guess would be for his benefit if he could hear
- Episode 3, flashback ends and Hyakki bids farewell to Jukai, camera goes fuzzy and fades back in on Dororo having the curse explained to him by Biwa

i think the Jukai bit is iffy, because hey you'd probably still talk to the deaf mute kid in some way. but it also means we get two similar mentions of the curse within a few minutes of each other and one doesn't have much purpose even in-show. this same deal happened with Hyakki's spirit sight in episode 2, where you've seen it used by both him and Biwa, a narrator then explains it to you, and then Biwa explains it to Dororo later in the same episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's a nice and concise way of putting it

i definitely appreciate the moments we've gotten inside Hyakki's head/past so it is unfortunate that those things have kinda by design carried this consequence of repetition

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

obviously what we really need is an adaptation of MW

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think the ragging on this show in relation to the old version isn't terribly helpful on a week-to-week basis, but would probably be better when all is said and done and people itt may be looking toward the manga/old anime/ps2 game as other interpretations of the story.

i'm still sorting through my thoughts on this specific ep, but as someone not familiar with the old version, this one still does seem lackluster in the writing department. animation and overall aesthetic remains top notch though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when's monday

https://twitter.com/robiiiiiimmm/status/1098972671788736513

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

strange assortment from that group

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I hope the next demon Hyakkimaru slays is the one that stole the animation budget.

killing MAPPA...a bold suggestion

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the moth stuff looked miles better than sharkboy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sad to realize there's only 5 episodes left and most of them are gonna be serious junk

real missed opportunity that more of the show wasn't like this week because chill comedy adventures with hyakki and dororo are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 21, 2019