Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That was a really strong first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So pro strat here is watch this one all the way through then go back and watch the original to avoid expectation poisoning?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

While the repetition is a bit much, but given what I've had to suffer through in other anime it's positively brief here by comparison.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was already a task that was clearly weighing on him and seeing a civilian die simply for trying to save a loved one was enough to push him over the edge. Does there really need to be any more specific reason? Any further explanation could only really hurt that beat.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They turned a story about how young boys fantasize about war, and about a soldier who was so afraid of trying to re-integrate into normal society that he'd rather cling to violence, into one where an impersonal supernatural force is to blame for everything.
Like wut? Maybe it was significantly better in the original, but the metaphor doesn't really get more blatant than here. The demon sword is a thing that only exists because of the demands of the ruling class, and that the soldier longs for even when it's no longer directly influencing him. I don't think it takes a galaxy brain intellect to make the connection that it's metaphorical for state demanded violence.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only time the sword's magic power impacted the plot was in forcing Dororo to take it back to it's wielder. I doesn't even look usable for fighting until a man has been forced to murder several people with it, and returns to its rusted state as soon as that man dies. The sword is the soldier's violent nature as forced on him by the upper class, there is no more magic to it than that. Like it's perfectly fine to say that the show could have executed on the idea better, but it's bordering on being willfully obtuse to claim the ideas aren't there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Where was the blind guy in all this?
presumably being off screen for the crime of being a mostly superfluous character.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

The biggest issue is the way they've tied Hyakkimaru's journey of recovery to the decline of the land itself. Nothing that happened in this episode would have happened if Hyakkimaru hadn't killed any demons.
This right here is something I have to fundamentally disagree with. The story presented here is that making the quite explicit argument that any progress or prosperity that requires someone's exploitation does not have the right to exist and should be torn down. The supernatural story about a land being built by demons breaking a child's body is the same as how feudalism built a country by breaking the bodies of the peasants. Hence all of the peasants we run into who have literally broken bodies. This series is positing that any destruction caused by revolution or rebellion by the oppressed is fully justified because what is being destroyed has no reason to exist.

Which is all to say I will be very disappointed if this series doesn't end with a Communist China scale killing of landholders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Even if they go through with it they still made two or three monumentally boring episodes of anime in the attempt. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Honestly yeah the demon village episode was kinda pants, but I've some to expect that sort of problem from all television and especially all anime. And yes it always still has the opportunity to sabotage itself with a bad ending, because tv shows tend to do that.

However at this point it's being as blatant as it can with the fairly simple message "feudalism bad" it can be given the tone it has set out.