Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
DOA Goon Xbox/PSN/Steam list

:siren: out Feb 15th, 2019 :siren:

Fights in Dead or Alive 6 are based on a rock-paper-scissors like interruption system, in which strikes (normal attacks) beat throws, throws beat holds (interception counterattacks), and holds beat strikes, all of such attacks causing extra damage. The duels take place in interactive and the highly-destructive arenas, where players an knock an opponent over a cliff or into the series' signature Danger Zones, which initiates a cinematic quick time event. New mechanics introduced are the Fatal Rush, a beginner-friendly mechanic where pressing one button multiple times results in the character performing a simple combo, and the Break Gauge, a meter that builds up as the characters attack. If the Gauge is full, a Fatal Rush will culminate in a move similar to what the Critical Blow in Dead or Alive 5 would do. There is a new mechanic named the Fatal Reversal, where the character reverses an opponent, stunning them, before appearing behind them, open for a counter.

https://i.imgur.com/m2jzz3K.mp4

uncle kitchener posted:

The original Dead or Alive was an arcade game built on the Virtua Fighter engine for the Model 2 Sega arcade hardware, adopting the same RPS system as Virtua Fighter, while adding element such as Offensive Holds, which can go through the initial first few frames of an attack (just like catch throws) and Defensive Holds which are similar to reversals but with a much larger window and catch elements, which at first acted as parries (depending on fighting style) and later evolved into High, Mid-Kick, Mid-Punch and Low level reversals.

What's new
DOA6 is a further improvement of the massive steps forward that DOA5 took. Here are some of the notable changes:
  • Stun threshold has been reduced by about 20% across the board, meaning you spend less time stuck in someone's combo
  • A redesigned wall hit system
  • Normalization of launch heights to be max height 100% of the time
  • Sidestepping has been buffed substantially
  • The removal of Slow and Stagger Escape
  • Severe neutering of forcetechs, removing almost all blenders from the game
  • The removal of Crit Bursts, Power Blows, and Power Launches
  • Introduction of the Special button, an auto combo button for beginner players
  • The introduction of the FATAL system (see below for more)
  • Introduction of Super Meter

https://i.imgur.com/tT0yVLT.mp4

The Fatal System
DOA6 normalizes a lot of the more obtuse mechanics of DOA and removed several of 5's new mechanics whole cloth and replaced them with a whole new system called "Fatal" in DOA6. DOA6 introduces the Special button, a multipurpose attack that can do different things depending on what direction you are pressing with it. Pressing S with no directional inputs will initiate the new auto combo move Fatal Rush, pressing it three more times will conduct the Fatal Rush combo, where if you have the meter for it, will end with the new super move Break Blow Up+S and Down+S are now dedicated sidestep commands, pressing Foward+S will launch a Break Blow and Back+S being the new Break Hold, a Universal Counter that back turns your opponent for a single bar of meter.

While the Fatal Rush is meant to give new players an easy and flashy combo, skilled players would be unwise to ignore it. Catching a sidestepping opponent with the Fatal Rush starter back turns them giving you a guaranteed launcher.

https://i.imgur.com/N2VvzoM.mp4

Stuff I stole from the DOA5 thread
  • The last DOA I played was DOA2. What's changed?
    Quite a lot actually...while at the same time, not a whole lot. Characters have changed and certain things like the windows for chain throws are shorter, but the basic RPS system along with the defensive-holds are the same. Loads of old notation for old moves have also been very much standardized. DOA4 introduced a very annoying stun based system where people could end up in stun for much longer and made the game slower, other than making the defensive player having more advantage with access to damaging defensive hold that took around 60-120 of the attacking opponent's life bar.

In DOA5U6, even more things have been tweaked so that the engine is more akin to DOA2/3 which was fast paced but you also had plenty of damage potential with all characters.

• You telling me those Geese reversals are still in this game? No buy, homie.

TN have tried to put less emphasis on holds in general by making characters unique while also making holds more punishable, especially low holds which have more recovery. Easy solution to punishing these is to just throw for high damage and dissuade your opponent from abusing it, especially when they're in stun where holds have more recovery.

• What's this whole thing about DOA wanting to be a tourney fighter?
    After the failure which was Ninja Gaiden 3 and with Itagaki gone, Team Ninja have started listening to competitive DOA players to make something that would at least resemble a competitive 3D fighter. Shimbori, the new designer of the series seems to be a level headed person and he himself is a self-described competitive player (despite not having played any other fighting game other than DOA). (DOA6 note: DOA5 lasted 6 years on the tourney scene but was never a headliner.)

So far, the response has been good amongst the DOA community, but people outside the community don't seem to care much, but they're starting to warm up seeing as there are good turnouts at tournaments and people who play this game do have a lot of passion.

• I used to play [Insert Character Name] in DOA2. Is he/she still in?
    Leon and Ein have returned and Rachel has replaced Spartan. Alpha is playable but requires 300 titles to unlock (or a whole lot of online matches), but she's essentially the very weak Rugal of this game. Tengu is replaced by a new character called Nyo-Tengu (or Neo Tengu), which is a female Tengu anime lady, making her a middle weight version of Tengu and has inherited his moveset with some new tools and metagame. Kasumi-Alpha, which was a non-playable character in DOA2 and only playable in DOA Dimensions, is back as Phase-4 and has inherited most of Kasumi-Alpha's traits, but with some new set of tools to make her unique.

DOA6 note: None of the guest characters from other franchises that were in 5 will be in 6 at launch, this includes: Mai(KOF), Jacky(VF), Sarah(VF), Akira(VF), Pai(VF), Naotora(DW). Team Ninja has not stated anything about DLC characters down the road.

• Is this game easy to get into?
    DOA is probably one of the most scrub-friendly fighting games out there along with games like Bloody Roar and...I don't know, Bloody Roar 2? Being a 3-button game like VF, it has much easier inputs, no just-frames (no true JFs anyway), simple 0-frame one button reversals for all attacks, universal high and low grabs, straight forward stun system and look at all them big 'murikan titties! Most strings have long delay windows, though this can be character dependent.

The game mostly revolves around mindgames and matchups, rather than execution, which makes it welcoming to both casual players and other players who play DOA as a side game.

What makes it different is that unlike Virtua Fighter, the stagger system, scaling and the holds differentiate it from other 3D games out there and there are multiple different types of stuns with different applications and an extra counter system called the Hi-Counter, which is when different element like throw, hold or strikes cancel each other out.

• How's the community for this game?
    Quite average, so you're bound to find some good people who play other games at a high level and some really terrible people, so basically your average FG community. The DOA community is also the one with the most casual players. The only good place you need to go for actual gameplay info would be FreeStepDodge and that still has a few terrible people which you can ignore. Matt "Mr. Wah" Ponton is the owner and he's a pretty cool guy. Other community websites you can just ignore.

• Offensive Hold? Catch Throw? What are these?
    The game is pretty similar to VF since the first game was based on the same engine, but there are a few noticeable differences when it comes to the fighting engine after years of branching out from each other.

• How is the online?
    Team Ninja have stated that for DOA6 "Online Matchmaking is a priority, and the they aim to make it amazing", 5's online was okay.

• The PC version of 5 was garbage
    Team Ninja has stated the PC version will be on parity with the console versions. If you're on the fence just wait for release, all of the preorder bonuses have a fairly generous purchase window.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Reserved.
https://i.imgur.com/WlbwuN3.mp4

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 7, 2019

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im probably gonna buy it just for the reduced fanservice alone since virtua fighter is never coming to PC

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I've heard they removed all boobs?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’ve only played Dimensions and 5 but I like how DOA lets you dart around the battlefield without the prerequisite of being a Korean demigod. The presentation looks cool as hell here too.

Shy posted:

I've heard they removed all boobs?

DLC. :cmon: This is almost exactly how they advertised DOA5 initially.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Game looks cool wish there were more tiddies imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ROFL Octopus posted:

DLC. :cmon: This is almost exactly how they advertised DOA5 initially.

All the advertising material for DOA5 at launch was sweaty closeups of Hitomi's collarbones with text that read "I AM A FIGHTER".

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

whats the most horney fighter now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A surfing dog?! posted:

gigamaidens

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tecmo's entire process for dehornifying DOA6 was telling people it's not horny without actually altering the horny level in any way.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Obfuscate the horney

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

There was a bunch of drama recently re: the wall game in DoA6 where a lot of people were basically saying game is dead etc etc cause of a small no-context clip getting out.

Long story short: Once you hit a wall in doa6, you can take your guaranteed damage as normal, or you can let them land and it will re-stand them, putting them into a stun state where they can only hold(counter) out, so you can then re-launch and recombo them. So long story short wallgame just has a lot more options now.

So then everyone went from game is dead to oh hey that's pretty cool actually.

Also I had the community manager basically tell me yesterday Leon isn't gonna be in the game. Like I expected as much but it still hurts :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sad about Leon

still stoked for more DOA. I hope so hard they bring the VF characters back, they were done so well in DOA5

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

There was a bunch of drama recently re: the wall game in DoA6 where a lot of people were basically saying game is dead etc etc cause of a small no-context clip getting out.

Long story short: Once you hit a wall in doa6, you can take your guaranteed damage as normal, or you can let them land and it will re-stand them, putting them into a stun state where they can only hold(counter) out, so you can then re-launch and recombo them. So long story short wallgame just has a lot more options now.

So then everyone went from game is dead to oh hey that's pretty cool actually.

Also I had the community manager basically tell me yesterday Leon isn't gonna be in the game. Like I expected as much but it still hurts :(

The wall changes are really good, just about every change they've made so far has been for the better.

I think the final roster is out but I'm not sure, I don't know if the preorder characters count towards the 25.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A surfing dog?! posted:

Is it sc6? That game has some pretty unreal tiddies

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Blazblue is pretty horney

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dead or Alive 5 DLC :hmmyes:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
DOA6 has been delayed to March 1st. Feb 15th was a meat grinder, somebody had to blink.
https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1082442449795141633

I said come in! posted:

Dead or Alive 5 DLC :hmmyes:

The thing that gets me is that the actual price for all the DLC is like $630 (7 $90 season passes), but Steam has so many overlapping bundles that it doubles the price.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While the PC version isn't getting a Steam preorder much like a number of Koei Tecmo properties, greenmangaming.com has a 10% preorder discount on DOA6. They did have a 25% off VIP sale but that's over now.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Delay kinda sucks but its not the end of the world I guess. They were hinting at a demo/online test or something so make good on that and it makes the wait easier.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Beta out on Friday...maybe: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/01/07/new-on-playstation-store-this-week-megalith-tales-of-vesperia-hitman-hd-enhanced-collection-more/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If the tits don't sway then I won't pay

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If the tits don't sway then I won't pay

This is what I keep telling to my wife

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

BattleTech posted:

DOA6 has been delayed to March 1st. Feb 15th was a meat grinder, somebody had to blink.

phew, I get some more time with Ace Combat 7

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

BattleTech posted:

They gotta prepare some costume DLCs for people to buy at launch of course

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i hope they bring back the attack on titan costumes and stage

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
A listing for Dead or Alive 6: Corefighters has shown up.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Nice, I'm glad they're keeping this up. Having a free version of the game this early is a nice way to get more people in. I just hope the PC version isn't hosed.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The f2p version did very well by them before and honestly I am surprised everyone didn't copy the concept. I will imagine this will quite well again.

Also the Open beta is now up for download in some countries. Its not quite live yet though, probably going live tomorrow.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Looking forward to playing as Best Girl Mila. https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1078425293918941184?s=19

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

The f2p version did very well by them before and honestly I am surprised everyone didn't copy the concept. I will imagine this will quite well again.

Also the Open beta is now up for download in some countries. Its not quite live yet though, probably going live tomorrow.

It's official announcement and details are scheduled for tomorrow.

E: DOA's casual audience is still mind blowing to me, last year DOA5 crossed 12million unque players.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 11, 2019

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly it was a picture of Kasumi in a bikini in a Dreamcast magazine that got me to start playing, but DOA is pretty much my go to whenever I get in the mood to play a fighting game.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Trailer for NyoTengu and Phase 4. I believe this locks in all 25 launch characters.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1083579139926286336

DOA6 Beta will become available at 0:00 JST January 12th, so 10AM eastern tomorrow.

Kasumi, Ayane, Hayabusa, Hayate, and Diego are playable in DOA Colosseum in a rank match.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1083579139926286336

DOA6 Beta will become available at 0:00 JST January 12th, so 10AM eastern tomorrow.

Kasumi, Ayane, Hayabusa, Hayate, and Diego are playable in DOA Colosseum in a rank match.

English version: https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1083586801804013568

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Decent enough selection of characters, the ninja's were always the most popular so makes sense enough. I will be rocking Ayane all weekend then.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
No open beta on PC?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

no lei fang in the beta? :(

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Big Scary Owl posted:

No open beta on PC?

https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1083763214771339265

Playstation only :(:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
A trailer for the new stuff in the game, confirms the return of fight money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10C-HNGmTU&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dh10C-HNGmTU&has_verified=1