Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
NICO's was pretty easy. Honoka's is too until you get to the last one which is about 2 pages long.

I really wish I did the tutorial BEFORE trying online. It does a good job of explaining the nuances of the game (pressing hold to get up faster instead of just mashing kick, wow who knew!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The tutorial in this game is fine, but it still leaves some things to be desired. The standout issue to me is that it makes no effort to tell you the difference between a hold, a counter hold, and a hi counter hold (which is different from a high counter hold), so you're left hammering 7H until the game declares that you did it correctly.

Fortunately, DoA6 has the easiest combo challenges I've seen in any fighting game

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
From what I could gather, a counter hold is like a regular hold, only you got the timing really right (but there isn't actually anything that explains what "right timing" is).

I'm pretty sure no one, including the dev team, actually knows what a hi counter hold is.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hi counter hold is when you do a offensive hold to counter, i think? idk i got it by spamming quarter circle throw in doa quest

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

The tutorial #20 for Hi Counter Hold is a regular mid hold against a big wind-up punch. So depends on the strength of the opponent's strike probably? In addition to perfect timing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TalkLittle posted:

The tutorial #20 for Hi Counter Hold is a regular mid hold against a big wind-up punch. So depends on the strength of the opponent's strike probably? In addition to perfect timing.

I roughly explained it in the Goonsgarden discord but I'll explain here as well:

Holds are doing counters before the move comes out
Counter Holds are doing counters after the move comes out
Hi Counter Holds are doing counters right before the move hits you.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's been officially confirmed that costumes will not be sold individually on the PS4 version.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

It's been officially confirmed that costumes will not be sold individually on the PS4 version.

People should be super pissed about this, it's walking back a really big promise that everything would purchasable indivdually.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a chance it's some kind of dumb legal or regulation thing? because they do sell them individually on PS4 in Japan and Hong Kong afaik

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Nevermind it sounds like dysfunctional KT organizational issues if this screenshot is legit

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

It's not the brightest sales move. The vast majority of people who are interested in buying DLC in the first place only want one or two costumes from each set. No one's going to pay $20 for that.

The only way this would make any sense at all from KT's side of things (especially since they're releasing them individually in other regions) is if Microsoft made them some kind of very odd exclusivity deal for the release of individual costumes. Wouldn't make a lot of sense, but...

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
But I don't need 13 digital wedding dresses.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Speculation: It's because gamers in the west are conditioned to only ever buy games on sale, and use credit cards with their associated fees.

Steam's recent GDC presentation revealed that the majority of their global customers actually buy games using cash, through gift cards. Presumably this includes Asia to a large degree. And presumably Sony sees similar trends with PlayStation. On the Hong Kong PlayStation store we see a DOA6 costume going for 15 HKD = just under $2 USD.

Putting it together, if western gamers buy costumes for 50% off, at less than $1 USD each, and Sony/Steam takes a cut on top of the $0.30 credit card fees, then the publisher ends up netting a minuscule return.

Not defending KT here but just speculating on their thought process since they haven't spoken on it.

e: Felt the need to say I hope this isn't what they're actually thinking. This would be pretty dumb and petty reasoning, since a better business move would be to get more people actually playing your game, spending any money at all and showing off the cool costumes, making your friends want to play and spend too, building loyalty and good PR and reputation and store page reviews, in a virtuous cycle.

TalkLittle fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 23, 2019

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It could be that they'll eventually release packs of all the costumes for each individual character, which would be less bad. The question is that since it'll take so long for all the costumes to be released, will anyone still be interested in buying them by then? It took literally years for all the DOA 5 costumes to be released.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

It could be that they'll eventually release packs of all the costumes for each individual character, which would be less bad. The question is that since it'll take so long for all the costumes to be released, will anyone still be interested in buying them by then? It took literally years for all the DOA 5 costumes to be released.

Doa5 had a costume pack once a month for 6 years.

Speaking of which, Tamiki Wakaki is confirmed to be July's costume pack, and holy poo poo am I excited.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i think the only costume pack i bought was the attack on titan one, which owned

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
There was an arcsys pack I would have bought if it wasn't 30 goddamn dollars.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
More wedding attire on the 29th

Here's hoping they have a business casual set. I'd buy that one.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Extra Large Marge posted:

Aw Phase 4 the only girl without a white dress :smith:

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Here's hoping they have a business casual set. I'd buy that one.

brad wong lookin sharp af

kashumi lookin like a widow

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Is that new set included in the original $20 or is it another $20?

I think I can guess the answer to this one...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Venus Vacation (Gacha PC game) is getting a Steam Release.

https://steamdb.info/app/958260/

Clicking the download button on SteamDB actually downloads the game.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Online lobbies coming in April

https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1110541972916367360

...!
Oct 5, 2003

God, unlocking all these costumes is gonna take so drat long I'd actually be willing to purchase one of those awful $5 "time saver" DLCs a lot of games have that instantly unlocks all the game's locked features. I hate to reward KT for making the costume process so tedious, but I'd do it. It'd be way better than spending tens of hours grinding this bullshit. Ugh. Guess I'm part of the problem.

I would bet that they purposely made the process so extremely tedious just so they can make a "time saver" that a ton of people would buy. It's almost guaranteed sales.

Unlocking costumes in 5 was quick and easy! Let's go back to that!

I hate you, KT! :argh:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is this the first video game you've played in a decade

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eh, it has always varied a lot through the series. 5 (LR) has one of the easiest unlock methods (just play through tag team time attack/arcade mode a lot, which makes it fast on top of easy) next to 2 (where # of fights with a character unlocked costumes eventually).

6's unlocks seem more in line with "play survival and hope the golden Xbox drops" of DoA3 :v:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Play ranked online and not only will you get all the costumes you want, you'll also get better at the game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Haha, what? A ranked match gives maybe 150 costume parts. It's one of the slowest ways to unlock costumes, especially given how long it takes to find matches.

Source: Me and the hundred ranked matches I've played and the approximately two costumes that's unlocked.

...! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2019

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's weird. Once they released that "you get costumes for the character you play as" update I got everything for Ayane in about 2 days by playing online and quest mode.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

That's weird. Once they released that "you get costumes for the character you play as" update I got everything for Ayane in about 2 days by playing online and quest mode.

Same, I played online for a couple nights to get the parts, then played DOA quests to top up on gold. It's a stupid system but it's not as aggravating as it was at launch.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Tina is so much fun to play. Feels satisfying to bait out holds and just outright delete healthbars with suplexes and piledrivers.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It looks like the newest patch added in the ability to buy individual costumes DLC within the game, but whenever I try it gives me an error that it couldnt retrieve the information. Still, once they actually make the drat thing work it seems like the intent is to allow purchase of individual costumes ingame where they wont appear in the PSN store itself, much like Street Fighter V.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Tier list

https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1112837039244754944

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why am I not surprised by the top-ranked character :sigh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is that the 12 year old one?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is that the 12 year old one?

She's the one who just looks like a 12 year old.

Like I'm incredibly annoyed but not at all surprised that out of all the possible kickass DOA ladies the fanbase chooses the most obviously creepbait character to go for.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 2, 2019

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Like I'm incredibly annoyed but not at all surprised that out of all the possible kickass DOA ladies the fanbase realizes it's April 1st.

lawl

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Perhaps, but I don't think you know the fanbase as well as I do.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
They flat out write the joke twice in the tweet, and it still goes over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ha Ha dummy, you THOUGHT that the incredibly popular 12 year old creepbait character had been deemed the most powerful in some fake poll?

Lol!