Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Driving it in Gran Turismo, it's just the most painfully boring track to drive. I'd be happy for a race in Japan, but I'd be disappointed in Motegi. Beggars can't be choosers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well of course I'd want that shirt.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The decision to ignore track limits basically makes this another Cleveland, and greatly contributed to the amount of passing. It probably also prevented more yellows.

At the start, I immediately oh poo poo this is exactly like Cleveland. I'd say keep the track limits this way.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given how few cars I saw in the parking lot relative to the crowd size, I'd say most people figured it out.

I flew in and between that parking price and the cost of renting a car, just went with rideshare / light rail everywhere. It was awesome and cost way less than even just the track parking would have.

For my case, we hosed up and passed the line on the 5 so had to go the other way, but we found some people parking on a dirt embankment across the street so didn't have to pay for any parking at all.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The 1995 Penske thing is just so bizarre when you consider that they came back later that year for a tire test and ran much faster. They just blew the setups in May and didn't know it.

IIRC, they were testing something new in the suspension for Emerson in a test before that May. That something new was broken and they didn't catch it so their setups was based with that broken part for the entirety of May.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Reynold posted:

Carlin has obviously had a bad time, but wrt Alonso I was under the impression that the first car (the one he crashed) was some bespoke made in Woking "All the Eggs in This Basket" edition, where the backup was the car they screwed around with in testing and was nowhere near as well developed, and they quite simply didn't get their poo poo together enough to beat Pippa to slot #30 on Saturday. McLaren totally deserves this, as does Alonso. With all of their vast resources and talent available to get the job done, McLaren looks like they just kind of phoned it in.

You'd think they'd be smart enough to have your backup car in-house being developed alongside their primary just because it's Indy and you may crash a a car, especially a new team. But nope. Even then they lost time on day 1 of practice due to electrical issues. They had no idea what they were doing.

e: Looked up Bob Fernley, yes an ex-F1 team director running an Indycar team doing Indy is always a good idea.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 20, 2019

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Checked up if Plourde is still going and of course he is. Now it's just he has picked Coyne and his other favorite teams to be on his team.

https://www.markplourderacing.com/home

Looks like midway through 2016 he gave up on his Champ Car fantasy and rebooted the thing in 2017 to be co-opting Dale Coyne's team and line up with Indycar

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I think they can race at Pocono but the cars need a hansford device like thing to allow some drafting. Heard on the telecast that you have to take what you can get on the starts and restarts since the cars start to spread out and can't suck up to each other during the chevy/honda aerokit years. That's if Indycar wants to put that kind of money in development for a car that's on it's way out at the end of 2020.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

It's counterintuitive but at least in the draft they can be chill on lap 1 and not have to make divebomb moves that Sato and Wickens pulled for track position and end up wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Only thing I can think of is make it a satellite team like Steinbrenner team was and have everything similar to the AA cars but with a Chevy engine. Highly doubtful that could be pulled off. Though Hinch can take that seat now.