Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
As cool as I think trains would be, they just don't really make sense when the islands are relatively small like in Anno.

I guess you could have something like multiple settlements on the coast of different maps and use trains to ship goods off-map (eg 19th century trains sending timber and coal from west coast to the east coast), but that would be a pretty different game I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is the beta open for everyone or just those with preorders? I 100% refuse to preorder a game no matter how hyped I am for it, but I’m still keen to check out the beta

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Note that if the open beta pre-load isn't appearing for you, trying logging in via this link: https://register.ubisoft.com/anno-1800/

Log in with your Uplay account data and it should add the open beta to your uplay library.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anyone found salt mines yet? I need them for the Window production process (and of course everything else at the Artisan level requires glass windows), but I've scoured the map and none of the islands seem to have salt mines.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Bramble posted:

What are some ways to increase attractiveness? I can already see the pro move is to have all your polluting industry off-island, but I'm not seeing many ways to positively increase attractiveness. Decorations seem to have an effect, but I'm not seeing any numbers so I don't know how much...

I think it comes later, with the higher tiers of citizens. Although when I built a Zoo with a bunch of exotic animals it went through the roof, so maybe try that?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

I set up a ship for an expedition and when I clicked start it just seem to sit idly next to my island, did I do something wrong?

It's kinda extra complicated how you need workforce in every island where you're producing now, it's not that hard for this beta, but with higher tiers of population i can see that being an issue

I think they’re adding a Commuter Dock building to the full game which allows your workers to work on other islands. So you can set up remote production facilities without having to set up entire new colonies alongside.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

First-person mode sure is something :stare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anno/comments/bd3lbw/walking_the_streets_first_person_view_footage

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Chortles posted:

First-timer (with Anno 1800) in this thread, and it's a campaign question:

Is it okay to basically ignore the Old World AIs (other than setting up a Soap-to-Eli-and-his-Coal-to-Archibald route) and play the campaign-with-only-Botanica at my own pace? For example, I decided to start with the second layout here on Ditchwater; for production I currently have the sausage and soap chain buildings at the top edge with a warehouse, the bottom edge has schnaps and clothing plus a Sailmaker (with Fisheries/naval south of those), and so far I have a clay-to-bricks setup in the the easterly clay deposit... but I'm currently trying to find the right spot to form a 3x or even 4x lumber/timber cluster in the forest near the blast site, and just where to set up the steel beams, bread, and beer chains all on Ditchwater...?

I've thought of relocating the starting trading post all the way to the eastern edge of the island and laying the bread chain along that, but I'm not certain if there's a more efficient method with the space on this island, much less where to set up the beer chain if I do that. So far for steel I've been thinking of just trying to throw the buildings in wherever I can find room near a warehouse.

I realise this is from a week ago, but I basically played through the campaign and then started a proper city on a new map, fixing all my mistakes. I basically found that I'd have to bulldoze everything on Ditchwater to allow decent oil production and sort of gave up at that point. Plus it was going to be super expensive to bulldoze the largest island and use that.

Ignoring the AIs basically comes down to your difficulty settings. I played the campaign on Easy because I prefer putzing around building a bonsai garden over competing, and I ended up with Beryl, Willie and Princess Qing. You can pretty much ignore those three as they expand slowly and rarely want to fight. Sometimes they'll even ask your permission to settle a new island, and won't get particularly irritated if you say no.

physeter posted:

Crown Fallswork in progress, brought to you by Covid.

This time around I decided to park the World's Fair up by the Falls themselves, alongside the new Palace. Here's the view from the center the city, just inside the massive central park area I'm starting to wish I hadn't made.

I've used the museum to showcase the World's Fair, which turned out to be lucky since the Palace is next door and one of the first things the Palace can do is give you bonus prestige for museum exhibits up to a certain point (then you get the rest of them the effectively for free).

My first palace looks like dogshit, but I learned alot. A) build this in street range of museums as above, and (b) don't make it remote, get it right in the middle of things if you can.

I decided to make the Crown Falls coastal islets into an Artisan village, complete with working bakery (since that model always looks like it belongs in town). Artisans only! I'm trying to keep my neighborhoods specialized by type, instead of the investor heap surrounded by ever-decreasing rings of social status.

Keeping with that theme, here's a coastal Worker village clustered around the shipyards.

When it's finished, the zoo will be ridiculous and probably cover a good 8th of the total landmass. This is the East Aquarium: Great Coral Reef and Ocean Predators. Most people are sane and therefore never realize there is a hard limit on the number of certain museum tiles, like pavement. So this had to be built by interlacing museum connecting tiles with standard non-museum tiles. One click in the wrong place and the entire thing will explode.

The West Aquarium: Abyssal and Luminaries.

The Taiga Forest Exhibit, complete with snack bar.

All those angry investors needto send their brats somewhere, so this is a private school up on the mountainside. The city hall in the center is loaded with units that give beauty bonuses to schools, churches and universities. I net slightly more attractiveness from this than I do from two +50 exhibits, so it's a win

and the view is nice

This is fantastic, bravo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Palace is in the latest DLC, called Seat of Power. It's modular like the zoo and exhibition buildings. They've announced another full season of DLC which includes Seat of Power, tractors, and an African-themed session as well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah I'm nowhere near as skilled as other players in here but my experience with 1800 has generally been that a deficit usually means you don't have enough luxuries. It gets super annoying later when you need enormous amounts of rum shipped in from the new world, but shipping runs can take 10-15 minutes. Even with a bunch of ships on the route, I find income fluctuating between +10,000 and -5,000 over the course of a few minutes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It goes on sale fairly frequently on uplay so I’d just wait for a sale. Remember if you have uplay tokens from playing other games, you can redeem 100 of them for an extra 20% off coupon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yep, I'd love for the next Anno to be ancient Rome, Egypt or hell even ancient China would be great. I've never been a huge fan of the futuristic sci-fi Annos, they're okay but I just can't really get into them. Taking part in history is one of the main reasons I play Anno.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

New Amusement Park DLC ornaments pack releasing on August 11, separate from the Season Pass and priced at $5. Includes:

Ferris Wheel
    Rollercoaster
    Ticket Booth
    Ice Cream Stand
    Cotton Candy Stand
    Tin Can Alley
    Shooting Game
    Food Stand
    Beverages Stand
    Strongman Game
    Face in Hole
    Barrel Organ Player
    Balloon Seller
    Portrait Painter
    “Welcome” Gate (with a second variation of it)
    Bar Table

https://anno-union.com/en/devblog-amusements-pack-cosmetic-dlc/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

TLDR is:
- Release date October 22
- Larger than The Passage
- Actual region is called Enbesa
- Two new population tiers, Shepherd and Elder
- Gameplay revolves around making the desert bloom like the Orient in 1404. But with canals and irrigation works rather than the noria.
- New population tier in the Old World: scholars
- Requires a new Research Institute monument, which will require a bunch of mats from Enbesa to build
- Research Institute will allow you to conduct research projects targeting specific technologies and items. Rather than just endlessly rolling at Madame Kahina's
- You can also make "major discoveries" to do significant things, their example was moving a claypit across your island

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

I can’t recommend highly enough trying 1800 without AI players. It takes every bit of time pressure off of expanding, and there is plenty of poo poo going on without needing to worry about them.

Yeah, 100% this. My first few runs I had the AIs of varying difficulties but honestly these days it's totally not worth the hassle. Anno is ultimately more about managing your attention than anything else, and the AI players tend to be a huge time suck on those. Plus they cheat ridiculously, which just annoys me. Declaring a surprise war and attacking with half a dozen steamships when they don't even have steam dockyards etc.

I know the "where should the next Anno be" is an endless circular topic but I'd be quite happy to see an ancient Rome era Anno game. Trade galleys across the Mediterranean, land based routes heading into Britain and Mesopotamia etc. A modern game based around aircraft and cargo ships could be interesting as well, maybe base it on just-in-time delivery so a pandemic can send everyone bankrupt :v:

Would really prefer not to have another sci-fi game though. I really struggled to get into either 2070 or 2205 at all.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks pretty great to be honest. The ability to produce rum, coffee and cotton in the Old World/Cape during lategame sounds fantastic.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Filter the stats screen to show multiple islands at once, v nice

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I dunno how experienced you are with 1800, but a couple of things that really helped me were: 1) not expanding too quickly, and 2) not bankrupting myself via overproducing.

For point 1, yeah you kind of want a steady influx of new housing and residents, but if you add a few hundred homes at once that will ripple through your supply chains because now you need a bunch more fish, schnapps, clothes, services etc. Expand gradually and deliberately, and watch your stats screen like a hawk to see pain points in your logistics. The production screen shows you supply vs demand for each good, while the storage screen shows you how long goods last in your inventory, which is particularly helpful for rum, chocolate etc that has to get important.

For the latter point, just build what you need as you need it (until late game when you're sitting on a Scrooge McDuck pile of cash). One dumb mistake I made in my first few games was googling for the most efficient layouts, which are obviously designed for lategame islands. Setting up a 3x bread chain is totally overkill, and it's easy to bankrupt yourself doing it.

Try and build each island in a state that it could theoretically last an hour or more without any particular attention.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I build almost exclusively in modular 10x10 grid blocks. Obviously it's not perfectly efficient, space-wise, but I find it hugely helps since you can essentially just build whatever service building you need and fill the rest with housing without needing to reshuffle or align streets when you realise the hospital is a different size to the fire station or whatever. I fill the single gaps with decorations like trees, plazas etc, and then once you get to engineers you've already got the free space to place your railway lines.

Something like this:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/anno1800/images/8/8a/City1.png

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah I never bother giving Obreros beer or sewing machines, I usually don’t bother giving them felt hats either. Space is definitely at a premium in the new world, particularly once you start requiring colossal levels of chocolate, coffee and tobacco. But the Arctic is probably even worse, space-wise!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Qubee posted:

Cape Trelawney is something else, I've got space for days. Is it a bad idea if I turn the Old World and other islands in Cape Trelawney into feeder islands just to supply my main island's residents? Or should I have some high tier pop spread around the world. It's really nice having tonnes of space to build a bustling city without worrying about cramped spaces.

I got my people in the New World up to their max level (level 2), I thought they'd go higher. Is there much else for me to do in the New World or did I reach the limit?

Yes, there’s only two pop tiers in the New World. And it’s historically accurate in that they mainly exist to farm luxury goods for the Old World.

Build up Cape Trelawney with as few production buildings as possible, especially the ugly and polluting ones. Just ship most things in.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Ctrl+Q should bring up a stats menu that shows you all your goods, with one bar representing production and the other consumption. You can filter by island, and as of the most recent patch, select multiple islands. You can also filter by product type (consumer good, intermediate) It's a little hard to describe off the top of my head.

Its super useful for figuring out how much wiggle room you have for more housing, or if you need to drop down another fishery and whatever right now.

I really like to use the Storage tab as well for checking if my trade routes are keeping up, particularly those going between zones. Like, you might be producing enough coffee and chocolate to keep up with demand, but that doesn't help if you aren't shipping it quickly enough. The storage tab shows amounts over time, so you can see when you're going to need another ship on the trade route.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Weirdly enough, power stations don't actually generate pollution on their own, so there's no harm in whacking them down among your residences. Electricity is transported from the power station to houses and buildings by street which sounds odd, but if you zoom in you'll see why (power lines appear along electrified roads).

Qubee posted:

That's how I did it but it's an absolute ballache trying to fit special buildings into the layout. Plus at the end, the city looks pretty ugly and unnatural. 10x10 grid (so 12x12 roads) is so much better, you can mess around with house placement (each grid fits 9 in a bunch of unique ways), and then when it comes to specialized buildings, they always fit into a grid with either a few house spaces to spare, or none to spare. It's a lifechanger.

And when it comes to rail, you can just shift houses apart to make a 1-tile gap as long as you need.

Just a heads up, but there's one specialised building that won't fit into the 10x10 grid :v:
Thankfully you don't need many of them and it's not hard to work around, but yeah.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mayveena posted:

I've had Qing declare war on me because I wouldn't let her take any islands.

Yeah even the 1-stars will eventually just stop asking if they can expand and do it anyway.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah you don't really need to do much for the secondary outposts if you don't feel like it, I don't usually bother. As you level up your character (top-left corner), you'll gain Expansionist influence bonuses which give you an automatic population bonus to each tier when starting a new island. So you can just drop a trading post down and then immediately construct your farms or mines or whatever, you don't need to build houses or services until you go over the initial few people.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Danimo posted:

What are y'alls general opinions of the other Anno games?

Despite owning all of them through various steam/gog/epic sales 1800 is really the first one to click with me and I'm having a lot of fun. 2070 was the first one I tried in the past but didn't play more than an hour or two.

I've seen 1404 talked up a lot, and 2205 is certainly pretty but I know nothing about it. But if the formula in all these is similar to 1800 I might take 2070 or 2205 for a spin to see how it is in our terrible futures.

Are the older historical ones worth actually diving into at this point, more than just for a glance to see what it used to be like?

1404 is pretty great, and probably the pick of the historical Annos aside from 1800. The campaign is pretty hilariously camp and fun, the art is great and it's nicely balanced as well. I'm personally not a fan of the sci-fi era ones as I just can't get into the aesthetic of futuristic stuff, so I've never really played either for more than a couple of hours.

edit; I personally wouldn't go for any of the games prior to 1404 as they're starting to feel super dated at this point.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

physeter posted:

Welcome to my Crown Falls. I'm about out of steam on this playthrough, but thought I would share.

Wow this looks fantastic, thanks for sharing! Think I would've run out of steam well before that point, but kudos to you for sticking with it - it's seriously impressive.

Do you normally play with the day/night cycle on?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think by production ratios they meant the whole "1 minute for hops fields, 30 seconds for malt roaster, 1 minute for brewery" information as well, which iirc wasn't in earlier games either.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I actually don't bother producing steel until much later. Archie has a pretty decent supply of it early on, so you can just set up a shipping route to grab a few beams from him each trip. You don't really need that much steel at the beginning, and setting up a full production chain blows a huge hole in your finances.

But yes, getting over the engineer hump can be quite tricky as well. Remember that if you're losing money, you're probably not supplying enough luxuries to your top tier of citizens.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

little munchkin posted:

basically my goal is to get whatever resources are missing from my main island for artisan goods. my last attempt had an island that was just red pepper farms and stuff to sustain the farmers but my economy collapsed while very slowly making canned goods on my main

Make sure you keep up with luxuries as well, as they provide a lot of your income. If people aren't getting enough luxuries, they won't be unhappy, but you're missing out on a lot of money, and if your economy is already on a knife edge it doesn't take much to plummet.

So yeah as other people said:
- use the stats screen to balance your production ratios, don't overproduce
- early on sell soap to Eli
- hold off on building up expensive industries like steel beams, it's pretty efficient to just buy what you need from Archibald for quite a while

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah it certainly gets pretty intense. I've said a few times in this thread (and I'll say it again!) that 1800 is basically a game of managing your attention more than anything else. Once you get to investors and multiple instances pulling you in different directions constantly, it's hard to keep focus and get things done. Just take it slow, focus on one task at a time and ignore distractions unless they're critical (eg wardecs). If you expand too quickly you can throw your entire economy out of balance and start hemmoraging. Make a habit to check in on the stats screen every 5-10 minutes and ensure you haven't missed something.

On the upside, once you get to Investors with sound fundamentals in place, you'll never have to worry about money ever again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Koramei posted:

How are you supposed to deal with developing new islands? I figured I would try to specialize most of them, but it seems like transporting goods (via charter shipments) can only deal with an individual good at a time. Am I supposed to have like 30 ships to deal with each of the basic necessities, or should I be trying to have each island be mostly self-sufficient? Or is there another method I'm missing?

You want to sort-of specialise, like if you've settled an island explicitly for red peppers or hops, then yeah absolutely specialise in those. But make the island self-sufficient at the same time. It's a waste of resources to send lower tier goods to small islands, so make sure they have everything they need.

Also, if you've settled an island for a particular good, don't expand beyond what you need. You essentially want one rich major city with the highest population tiers, and the rest of your empire is devoted to feeding and supplying it. The only stuff you build on outlying islands is what they need for survival in order to supply your main island. Don't take them past the first couple of population tiers.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Season 3 announcement coming up February 9. See you next Tuesday!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I'm pretty sure they've directly said something along those lines the past - that they originally wanted trains to play a much bigger role, but just couldn't make it work in a way that made sense. They're such an iconic part of the Victorian era that not including trains would feel super weird, but making them work in a gameplay sense was really difficult. Hence why they got shunted off to a weird side-role of mid/late-game fuel delivery.

It would've been kinda cool to require a train network for goods to move between warehouses and ports, but then you run into the issue of building a big rail network in a small farming outpost which doesn't make sense either.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Season 3 DLC got leaked .. by the Ubisoft launcher :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

Also, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but sometimes easy AI settle an island even when you tell them not to. I figured out it only happens when you're viewing a session other than the one in which they are trying to expand. So when you get the pop-up asking permission to expand, click the button to view the island first. It'll take you to the right session and then when you decline they will actually stop.

I've had this too, but I figured it was related to the AI being repeatedly told no - eventually they just start ignoring you. But I could be wrong :shrug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

If it clicks, say goodbye to sleep. The Anno games have always been the biggest "where did the time go?" games for me.

"You've been playing for four hours - how about a cup of coffee?"

Mate, I'm just getting warmed up over here

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah I totally agree about not producing steel initially. It's an expensive production chain (both in maintenance and manpower), and early on you don't need that much of it. Once you've got a couple of higher pop tiers with luxuries and rolling in cash, then go back and start setting a chain or two up.

And re-iterating what everyone else has said: with 1800 you really don't need to follow production layouts or guides. Beyond the first couple of tiers, the building chains don't line up (2x minute, 3x minute etc). It feels wasteful, but there's no point following a building guide and building a perfectly efficient triple-size beer chain or whatever, because you're going to be passing maintenance out the arse and receiving no benefit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

1404 is definitely Best of the Rest when it comes to the historical games. I’m not a fan of the sci-fi ones, but ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Huh, Anno 1800 is coming to consoles:
https://anno-union.com/union-update-old-town-pack-teaser-console-edition-technical-test/

Didn't see that one coming!