Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, this should be playable in about 15 minutes, for anyone whose still awake out there.

E: Gave it a quick 30 minute check tonight, mind you there is NO SAVING in the beta.

All the new interface stuff is amazing, the new blueprint tool is incredible by itself but there's tons of other little improvements going on too. You can relocate buildings now. All the filtering/chains stuff is a godsend coming from 1404.

Contrary to what I said about the flexible farm areas, only SOME buildings work that way, others are old fashion tile tetris.

This definitely feels super familiar but there's so many new little things and QoL stuff even just from a quick session. Can't wait to get some real play time in over the weekend.

Relocation sounds awesome.

GhostDog posted:

Wasn't the term Wusel-Faktor coined for the first Settlers?

Yeah, pretty sure thats where it originated in some German magazine back in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tahirovic posted:

I have three invites left if someone wants to have a look at the game.

I'd love one. What do you need for that?

guess Uplay name: greycore

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 2, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

This game is so good. Classic Anno again, perfect.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Aphex- posted:

Picked this up today, very excited about another old times Anno game. I absolutely adored 1404 but bounced off 2070 and never played 2205. One question, as someone with a fair amount of experience with Anno, is it worth playing through the campaign or just diving right into a sandbox game?

I found the campaign to be good in general, but it can become annoying when the events of the regular game and the campaign events start to overlap and very suddenly the game gets hectical. Nothing ever pauses the game (which kind of sucks tbh, fullscreen overlays such as the expedition screen should pause the game at the very least) so you may end up having to put out (often literal) fires in 5 different parts of the world at once.

So if you do play it, hold on to some triggers until the rest of the world is at peace as far as you can manage.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Quick money buffer in the mid campaign is selling frigates to the guy next door. He buys one for 21k which helped me avoid some imminent bankruptcy.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Boksi posted:

You can absolutely upgrade roads just by building brick roads over dirt roads, so that's kind of niche. And the auto-upgrade isn't in because of workforce reasons - don't want farmers upgrading to workers if it means leaving the fields fallow. Auto-build blueprints would be nice though.

there is a keyboard shortcut for "upgrade all" (shift + u) even though idg the use of it for the reason you just mentioned.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SubNat posted:

Competitors play by their own rules, it seems.
Understandable, since it's not like making ai that could actually play the game would be practical.

But it is a bit sour that Beryl can slap down a shipyard and have it instantly spit out a frigate with no construction time at all.
It popped out before the dust from placing the shipyard had even settled.

e: Beryl, I've taken over all the islands in the old world except your last, villager outpost.
You have no ships, I have 15 ships of the line parked outside your harbor waiting for it's cooldown to elapse.

And yet you demand 50,000 coins for a ceasefire.

They sure are optimistic when it comes to demands. The pirate lady offered me a ceasfire for 80k after I obliberated her fleet. I declined and destroyed her lair instead, that felt great.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

is there any workaround to prevent the tooltip from expeditions for the bottom choice to get cut off?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mayveena posted:

, I'm happy with the characters of color they've added to the game. In 2070 and 2205 they used many different people, not just white men, those were made better for me by Blue Byte's commitment to inclusion.

I'm responding to this openly, but I suspect most people don't want to discuss this that much, so in the future I'll be spoiling further discussion.

Yeah I appreciate this as well. For the circumstance that they have an extremely terrible timeline as historical background they get around the issues quite smoothly and try to be inclusive from a modern pov in games at least. I think all captains of the large battelships are female, so is the pirate lady. And the bad guys or morally questionable at least are white males.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

They do come back, but you get a chance to take out the pirate ship that wants to resettle. It's fairly easy to destroy it beforehand.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Is there any way to reduce the amount of pirates roaming around? My trade routes keep getting plundered and I feel like the number of pirates really ramps up to the point where it's hard to protect all of my ships.

Kill their base, it's not too hard. Otherwise create patrols with your larger ships to cut off the pirates entering your trade routes.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Ah, this is what I was looking for. I guess I hadn't found their base yet and wasn't sure if they even had a base. Thank you!

They're marked with a skull on the terrible minimap.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah I chose "teal" or whatever and now I have to squint for a minute to see if its me, AI 1 (green) or AI 2 (cyan).

The UI is sadly a lot worse as it has been in 1404 and even 1701, but they kept bullshit like their quarter rotated map for some reason. Workaround is to use the traderoute map instead.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gadzuko posted:

I only have 8gb but load times are pretty quick, I have it on a SSD though. That tends to speed things up much moreso than adding RAM in my experience.

Anno definitively loves more then 8GB RAM though, but I guess it can manage below depending on settings and resolution

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Pierson posted:

This game makes my PC's fan spin like it's trying to go into orbit, I take my headphones off at the end of a session and it's insanely loud. Does that mean it's thrashing my CPU or GPU, and can I turn anything down or off to make it stop?

If it would trash anything it would crash or your PC would shut down. It just means some load on GPU or CPU is so high that your automatic fan control needs to counter that, which is good.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

BadLlama posted:

they are all god drat alcoholics.

Germans

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mazz posted:

It’s more they just didn’t include anything this time, 2205 might be too much for the grogs but 1800 does even have some of the basic important stuff that was there in 1701 or 1404. As much as I like to optimize I also like when the game isn’t obtuse about stuff, which is what I find 1800s core “problem” to be.

It fucks me up as well that they went all the way back to make a "classic" Anno but didn't continue where 1404 left off, but apparently found the need to reinvent everything from the bottom and gently caress things up in the process, needin another 2 DLCs and 3 follow up games to make up for that. 1404 was almost perfect.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

boar guy posted:

cool, update broke all the quests in my current game :thumbsup:

4 broke today before the patch and ended in war declaration from two parties because I couldn't finish them. Probably not going to finish the campaign and just start a new Freeplay where ill wipe the fuckers asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I love the zoo. My current freeplay goal is to get as many animals as possible (all?) but through expeditions rather than buying them.