Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

frankee posted:

The Simpsons go to Diz-Nee-Land (a parody of the theme park Disneyland).
This is definitely fake, nobody would do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

When Marge notices that Homer forgot his lunch and panics over the effect fasting would have on his work (a moot point since Homer has several frozen pizzas on hand for sustenance), she rushes to the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant to get it to him and after Marge distracts Smithers from putting Homer on overtime, the two end up having fun hanging out together. Marge posts a picture on Facelook (a parody of Facebook) of Homer eating an ice cream outside the plant with the caption of "Meltdown at the Nuclear Plant". Mr. Burns, furious at the wordplay and ignoring Smithers' view that it was simply a joke, fires Homer immediately.

Meanwhile, at school, Lisa is in a coding class led by a tough female coder named Quinn Cooper, who immediately decides to make Lisa her protege, mainly as she is the only girl in the class. Her first homework assignment is to pitch a cool idea for an app they can program. After Homer's firing, Lisa pitches an idea for an app that can predict the negative effects of a social media post. Quinn is impressed and, rather than allowing the rest of the unskilled class to work on the project, she and Lisa start an exclusively female coding company in the Simpson house, along with a token male hire in Comic Book Guy. The app is named Conrad (which is short for CONsequence eRADicator), featuring a British voice telling people what will happen badly if they post certain items. A successful experiment involving Bart, who gets the forecast five weeks of detention for sharing a humiliating video of Principal Skinner, leads to Quinn saying they'll make a fortune after Conrad debuts at an upcoming app design convention. As Homer panics at the project's presence in his house and the advancement of the digital age, he decides to go back to a world of simpler times and gets his old job back at a Greek diner he worked at when he was 14. He loves the simplicity of his dishwashing chores and the fun of Greek living, but his paycheck is for "2000 drachmas" which works out to $0.00.

As the app project nears completion, Conrad then starts talking to Lisa, convincing her he's actually alive. When Lisa tries to show this to Quinn, Quinn thinks that she's imagining it because of the sleepless nights. At the app convention, Conrad convinces Lisa that he's real and is panicking from the pressure he'll receive having to predict people's posts. Lisa decides to respect "his" feelings and releases him into the cloud. Before leaving, Conrad makes an improvised speech to an astonished crowd, including Quinn, telling them to be careful about what information they post on the web. Later on, as the family leaves the convention, Lisa receives a text from Conrad, who has hacked into the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant's files and learned of some incriminating information, which he is using to blackmail Mr. Burns into giving Homer his job back, much to the family's happiness.

During the end credits, Homer performs a Greek dance he learned at the diner back in his workplace as he envisions various Greek people either watching him or dancing with him. Watching this on the security footage, Burns jokes that Homer is having a meltdown, much to the shock of Smithers, to whom Burns reassures that it is funny, at least when he says it.

lol remember the episode where homer reflects on having children and losing his dream job at the bowling alley? lets do it again but way worse. i mean its only the source of the most popular sentimental moment in the entire show's run, so maybe we can redo that, only with uh, <throws dart at board> greek <throws another> dishwashing

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

can someone post a list of every job that homer has had? tia

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Marge is further humiliated and objectified by lustful men while promoting shoe horns.

This to me is the single most insane sentence in any of these summaries. And it is so matter-of-fact, you can't tell me the people writing these summaries don't have some comedic flair.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BgRdMchne posted:

can someone post a list of every job that homer has had? tia

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Homer%27s_jobs

Not as many as you'd think.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

The Simpson family goes to Rainier Wolfcastle's bankruptcy garage sale. Homer asks Rainier if he has anything that will increase in value when he dies, and is shown an old weight-lifting set, complete with dumbbells and bench press. Homer takes it and packs everything and everybody in the car in the style of a Tetris game. The car ends up being so overpacked that Homer has no room in it for himself and ends up being carried home by Rainier Wolfcastle in a baby harness built for an adult.

On the way home, Marge and the kids discover that Maggie has soiled her diaper. Marge pulls into the Kwik-E-Mart, and changes Maggie in the restroom. As she is leaving the store, a shady character in a Goofy hat accosts her and threatens her with a gun. Finding only diapers in Marge's purse, he grabs Marge's pearl necklace and takes off. Marge, stunned, walks to her car in a daze and breaks down sobbing at the wheel in front of her kids.

The next day, they inform the police and Chief Wiggum declares he will investigate immediately. Later, as Marge is about to leave the house, Homer gives her some pepper spray and some tips on how to handle an attacker. She pulls up to the Kwik-E-Mart, but she snaps when Ralph greets her. She pepper-sprays him on impulse and, feeling guilty, drives back home where she feels safe. When she reaches home, Bart tells her she is parked over the mailman. Marge is a nervous wreck and cannot bring herself to cross the threshold of her house to help the mailman. Dr. Hibbert diagnoses Marge with agoraphobia. Homer and the kids try their best over the next few days to encourage her to go outside, but to no avail. Eventually, she moves into the basement. There, feeling a bit safer, she prepares breakfast for the family and sets up a bed for herself. One day, when she is alone at home, she eyes Rainier Wolfcastle's weight-lifting set and decides to use it to pass the time.

In two weeks, she builds herself up and even gets a well-defined washboard stomach (much to Homer's delight). She dashes out to the garden to get some lemons and, realizing that she is not afraid anymore, starts running around town. She runs into her mugger; even though the mugger does not move a finger against Marge, she beats him to a bloody pulp out of revenge in a scene that references the 1972 film The Godfather, when Sonny Corleone beats his brother-in-law Carlo Rizzi. The cops arrive and arrest the crook, and Marge starts exercising even more. One day, as she jogs by an open-air gym at the beach, she runs into Ruth Powers, her old neighbor (seen in episodes "New Kid on the Block" and "Marge on the Lam"). Ruth is also very muscular, and tells Marge that she owes it all to steroids. She talks Marge into using them, and also advises Marge to enter a women's bodybuilding contest. Using the steroids, Marge exercises harder than ever, becoming very muscular and estrogen-depleted, which results in a short temper and a violent streak. Homer, seeing these changes, finds himself less attracted to her. When Homer refuses Marge's sexual advances the night before the contest, she callously ignores his worries and then proceeds to pin him down and rape him, before leaving him completely sore and exhausted to take care of the kids the next morning.

That night, the family attends the Iron Maiden Fitness Pageant to see the women's bodybuilding final. Marge wins second place, which irritates her when her muscular ears overhear her family's unhappy conversation in the audience. Later that night, at Moe's, Marge boasts to all the male attendees about her performance at the competition. Homer then tells her he is proud of her ability to bulk up but not lose her femininity. Marge is angered by that, saying that was the reason she came in second place. She then tells everyone at the bar that she intends to up her glycol-load, use a denser ripping gel, and that she didn't sacrifice her period to come in second place. Moe says to Marge, "I don't got enough booze to make you look good". She flies into an uncontrollable rage and ultimately trashes the bar. Homer confronts his wife as she prepares to hurl Lenny at him. Terrified, Homer tells Marge that he misses the sweet, feminine woman he married. Marge, horrified with what she has done, apologizes, drops Lenny, and leaves with Homer. In order to cover the costs of repairing his bar, Moe sets fire to it; however, Carl points out that he has not insured the place yet.

Later, at the Simpson house, Marge burns the weight set in the furnace as the show ends. Homer asks if Marge is ready for a "real workout" which turns out to be a request to wax the car, after which he gets beaten by Marge into meekly saying that he was just kidding.

Jesus that one was a poo poo show from beginning to end. The "masculine muscle women are gross" is poo poo. The roid rage making her a violent rapist is poo poo. As someone trans masculine, when I started HRT I had to fight that stereotype pretty hard with a lot of people in my life. The rape is the worst part though. I'm surprised they call it rape in the summary, since I'm sure the show didn't frame it as such. Same with Marge beating Homer at the end. What the hell?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Araenna posted:

The rape is the worst part though. I'm surprised they call it rape in the summary, since I'm sure the show didn't frame it as such.

You clearly aren't a prime TV writer :rolleyes:

comedy gold

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
^^jesus I remember watching that one and being so grossed out

A major thunderstorm hits Springfield, and Marge demands that Homer fix their leaking roof. Homer attempts to solve the problem by using Hot Wheels ramps to transport all the draining water from the roof to the front yard through the hallway, the stairway and the mail slot on the front door. Though this plan seems to work well, Lisa's hamster slides down the ramps to the front yard by accident. Shocked, Lisa opens the front door to save her hamster, breaking all the ramps, and leaving the house all wet. Marge berates Homer for not providing a more sensible solution to fix the roof. Angered, Homer decides to go to Moe's Tavern, but is kicked out when he sits on Lenny's birthday cake by accident, shaped in the form of Lenny's favourite bar stool. Feeling depressed, Homer finds another bar, "Knockers" (A parody of the restaurant Hooters), where he meets a friendly man named Ray Magini. The two talk, and Homer finds out that Ray is a roofer, so Homer asks him to fix the leak in his roof. Ray agrees.

The next day, Homer assures Marge that his new friend will be taking care of the roof. Ray, however, does not arrive until everyone else has left. The two of them get up on the roof and use nail guns to nail the boards onto the roof, but they start shooting nails at each other, some hitting Ned Flanders' lawn mower next door. Ray leaves later and, as Homer runs on the roof, he crashes through the small part of the roof that they fixed, making the hole bigger. Meanwhile, Marge and the kids leave Santa's Little Helper with Grandpa and the Springfield Retirement Home residents, because they seem to like him. When Marge sees the hole, she tells Homer to fix it himself, because she sees no reason to believe that his friend will.

The next day, Bart and Homer go to the Builder's Barn, and Homer meets Ray there. Ray apologizes to Homer for not having finished the job and promises that he will stop by soon to work on the roof. Lisa, Marge, and Maggie arrive back at the retirement home, only to discover that Santa's Little Helper has become one of the old people. They permanently take him back home. After waiting a long while for Ray to show, Marge becomes worried about Homer, and tells him that Ray is just a figment of his imagination, though Homer refuses to believe it.

Marge then takes him to the Calmwood Mental Hospital. Dr. Hibbert tells Homer that Ray does not exist; he was created by Homer's mind as Homer was feeling lonely and unappreciated because of the previous events he endured. All the people that Homer thinks saw Ray (Bart, Flanders, and the "Knockers" bartender) claim they did not, and Lisa reveals that "Ray Magini" is an anagram for "imaginary". Seven weeks and several hours of shock therapy later, Homer is now sure that Ray does not exist. As he is being discharged, he sees Ray again in the room. Angered by the pain the "figment of his imagination" has caused him, he assaults him. In retaliation, Ray knocks Homer out and everyone is surprised they can see him too.

He did really exist the whole time: the bartender did not see Ray as he had an eye patch on (while looking in the direction of Homer and Ray that night, Ray was before his covered eye), and Ray could not be seen by Flanders because he was behind the chimney. Bart still viewed Homer with skepticism for talking to thin air, but Stephen Hawking arrives and says that Bart could not see Ray at the hardware store because of a miniature black hole caused directly behind Ray which absorbed the light from Ray and made it look as though Homer was talking to himself when Homer was actually talking to Ray. Marge asks Ray why he started fixing the roof, and then just disappeared. Ray says he is a contractor. Everyone laughs, and Marge says "That's right, you're all crooks!" Dr. Hibbert, seeing how angry Homer is as he was made to go through shock treatment for nothing, offers to make it up to him by doing a free eye scraping for him. Homer agrees on it, but also forces Hibbert to fix the roof without any breaks while Ray and Homer discuss Everybody Loves Raymond on the roof.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

You clearly aren't a prime TV writer :rolleyes:

comedy gold
lmao they did this same thing on a Family Guy episode

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think these should be linked and tagged with :nws:/:nms:+ CW: Cartoon rape

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that one episode where all that crazy stuff happened?!

Oh, I guess you just had to be there.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

this thread is breaking my brain. i keep thinking "oh this one has to be fake" and with like two exceptions i've gotten a paragraph or two in and suddenly remembered seeing it live when it aired and managing to repress all memories of it until now

the loving eye scraping bit, oh my god

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I was sure this was posted but I think it was just a brief paragraph in the TV Shows Didn't Age Well thread

"When Lisa struggles to find excitement and intrigue in her family heritage for a school presentation, she decides to take creative license. Inspired by Bart's "Indian butter trick" and the well-known kitchen curtains, with their stalks-of-corn pattern, Lisa claims to be Native American, from the "Hitachi" tribe, a name Lisa selects based on the Hitachi brand of the family's microwave oven. The embellishment turns into a web of lies when Lisa is chosen to represent the school and her "people" at City Hall, then as a keynote speaker for the National Native American Tribal Council. She eventually admits she lied about her heritage, but is spared from prosecution when the other speakers admit they are not true Native Americans. Homer compares his daughter to CBS News in a reference to the 2004 Killian documents controversy. As they leave, Homer mentions that one of his great-great-grandmothers actually was a Native American, and Lisa sarcastically agrees with him, although Homer replies that she did not ask him about it.

At his farm, Cletus is milking his cow when he accidentally kicks over a lantern, prompting a series of Rube Goldberg-esque events that leads to a chicken starting a fire. Cletus's cow succeeds in extinguishing the fire, but Cletus drops his smoking pipe, leading to a wildfire around Springfield. The townspeople try to extinguish it, to no avail. At Springfield Elementary, Principal Skinner asks Groundskeeper Willie to get the fire extinguisher, but all of them have been stolen by Bart to propel his wagon. As Bart rockets around town, the foam released from the extinguishers puts out the wildfire. Bart is cheered as a hero by everyone and rewarded with a driver's license by Mayor Quimby.

Bart starts using Homer's car for his own pleasure, but is eventually tabbed for family errands (mostly chauffeuring Homer). Bart flees to North Haverbrook, where he meets a 15-year-old girl named Darcy, who believes Bart is much older. They begin a romantic relationship and Darcy soon proposes marriage, revealing that she is pregnant and, upon realizing that Bart believes pregnancy can be caused by kissing, implies Bart is the father. At the court house, Bart reveals his age, whereupon Darcy admits that Bart is not the father - the real father is a Norwegian exchange student, and she wants to get married because her parents would be upset about her extramarital pregnancy. Bart agrees to marry Darcy, and they drive to Utah, where marriage restrictions are looser and they can start a new life together. Eventually, Homer, Marge and Darcy's parents catch up with them to stop the wedding, where Darcy's father tries to reason with Bart as he believes that Bart took advantage of a girl much older than him and got her pregnant. Darcy confesses to her parents that Bart is not the father, and that she didn't want her parents to be disappointed by her pregnancy. Darcy's mother, thrilled, confesses that she is pregnant too, and the family agrees to pass the two babies off as twins. Darcy and Bart end their relationship, while Bart assures her they will meet again, to which she agrees. Later, Bart admits to Homer that he looked forward to being a father, and Homer cheers him up by going with him on a ride around town at night.[1] "

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samuringa posted:

I was sure this was posted but I think it was just a brief paragraph in the TV Shows Didn't Age Well thread

"When Lisa struggles to find excitement and intrigue in her family heritage for a school presentation, she decides to take creative license. Inspired by Bart's "Indian butter trick" and the well-known kitchen curtains, with their stalks-of-corn pattern, Lisa claims to be Native American, from the "Hitachi" tribe, a name Lisa selects based on the Hitachi brand of the family's microwave oven. The embellishment turns into a web of lies when Lisa is chosen to represent the school and her "people" at City Hall, then as a keynote speaker for the National Native American Tribal Council. She eventually admits she lied about her heritage, but is spared from prosecution when the other speakers admit they are not true Native Americans. Homer compares his daughter to CBS News in a reference to the 2004 Killian documents controversy. As they leave, Homer mentions that one of his great-great-grandmothers actually was a Native American, and Lisa sarcastically agrees with him, although Homer replies that she did not ask him about it.

At his farm, Cletus is milking his cow when he accidentally kicks over a lantern, prompting a series of Rube Goldberg-esque events that leads to a chicken starting a fire. Cletus's cow succeeds in extinguishing the fire, but Cletus drops his smoking pipe, leading to a wildfire around Springfield. The townspeople try to extinguish it, to no avail. At Springfield Elementary, Principal Skinner asks Groundskeeper Willie to get the fire extinguisher, but all of them have been stolen by Bart to propel his wagon. As Bart rockets around town, the foam released from the extinguishers puts out the wildfire. Bart is cheered as a hero by everyone and rewarded with a driver's license by Mayor Quimby.

Bart starts using Homer's car for his own pleasure, but is eventually tabbed for family errands (mostly chauffeuring Homer). Bart flees to North Haverbrook, where he meets a 15-year-old girl named Darcy, who believes Bart is much older. They begin a romantic relationship and Darcy soon proposes marriage, revealing that she is pregnant and, upon realizing that Bart believes pregnancy can be caused by kissing, implies Bart is the father. At the court house, Bart reveals his age, whereupon Darcy admits that Bart is not the father - the real father is a Norwegian exchange student, and she wants to get married because her parents would be upset about her extramarital pregnancy. Bart agrees to marry Darcy, and they drive to Utah, where marriage restrictions are looser and they can start a new life together. Eventually, Homer, Marge and Darcy's parents catch up with them to stop the wedding, where Darcy's father tries to reason with Bart as he believes that Bart took advantage of a girl much older than him and got her pregnant. Darcy confesses to her parents that Bart is not the father, and that she didn't want her parents to be disappointed by her pregnancy. Darcy's mother, thrilled, confesses that she is pregnant too, and the family agrees to pass the two babies off as twins. Darcy and Bart end their relationship, while Bart assures her they will meet again, to which she agrees. Later, Bart admits to Homer that he looked forward to being a father, and Homer cheers him up by going with him on a ride around town at night.[1] "

I quoted the first part in that thread, yeah. More like "eLISAbeth Warren", amirite?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Moe and the owner of King Toot's have a fight and get arrested, forcing their businesses to be closed down. Homer buys a bass guitar that he plays wherever he is. Annoyed, Marge meets up with other wives in town who also have been annoyed by their husbands' constant playing. They decide to have their husbands form a band so they won't always have to listen to their music. Homer gathers Reverend Lovejoy on guitar, Kirk Van Houten on keyboard, and Dr. Hibbert on drums. Apu later joins as the lead singer when they hear him sing a classic song called "Hopin' for a Dream" by the famous (fictitious), heydey, 1980s glam metal band, Sungazer. They call their band Covercraft and start playing shows. At a gig at the Cabbage Festival, Apu admits to Homer that he has stage fright, but Homer suggests that he picture himself alone at the Kwik-E-Mart to cope. The gig is ultimately successful, the band gains recognition and Sungazer sees the video and asks Apu to replace their dead lead singer.

When Homer first sees the success Apu has gotten, he is happy to announce that his friend is becoming rich and successful, until Kirk mentions his jealousy and Apu points out that Sungazer are playing in Las Vegas. When Lisa calls out his jealousy, Homer corrects her, stating he is envious, not jealous, because he wants what someone else has, whereas being jealous is being afraid someone will take what you already have. Lisa quickly pulls out a giant dictionary out of nowhere, flips it open and exclaims, "Wow, he's right!" Without their lead vocalist, Covercraft's rehearsal sessions grind to a halt when Kirk volunteers to replace Apu and Homer criticizes his vocal abilities. When the others tell Homer to calm down, he angrily breaks up the band.

Marge reminds Homer that he did not start the band to get rich and famous, and encourages him to go to Sungazer's concert in Springfield Costington's to show his support for Apu. At the concert, Homer uses a backstage pass to sneak into Apu's dressing room and steal his special Apu shirt, but then overhears the band denying Apu vacation time to spend with his family and forcing groupies on him instead. Apu sees Homer and admits that he feels lonely and homesick. Homer decides to get revenge on Sungazer by having Sanjay poison them with Kwik-E-Mart hot dogs. Apu brings out the reunited Covercraft to perform until Homer and Apu get arrested by Chief Wiggum for food poisoning. Sungazer's concert subsequently falters while Sanjay mingles with the groupies.

During the end credits, Homer, Apu, Moe, and the owner of King Toot's listen to a story from Sammy Hagar in jail.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
the one where homer gets raped by a panda

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

While visiting an Internet café with Bart and Lisa, Homer is cyber-robbed by Snake of his bank's entire savings account, which the family planned to use for a vacation. When Ned Flanders catches Homer burgling his house, he says he got more for less by attending the Chuck Garabedian Mega-Savings Seminar. Homer steals Ned's tickets and the Simpsons attend the seminar, in which Chuck explains many money-saving strategies. The Simpsons follow them and save enough for a Garabedian-sponsored vacation. They steal airplane tickets from the Flanders at the airport and go to Tokyo, Japan.

Homer and Bart separate from Marge and Lisa to go attend a sumo match. When a wrestler steals Homer's pretzel, he and Bart knock him out, then when the Emperor of Japan, Akihito, congratulates Homer, he throws him into a dumpster of worn mawashi. As a result, he and Bart are put in jail until Marge pays the bail. Consequently, the only money the family has left is a one-million yen bill, which Lisa loses in the wind after Homer created an origami crane from it.

The family finds work in a fish-gutting factory in Osaka, where they notice a TV game show called The Happy Smile Super Challenge Family Wish Show. They go on it, telling the host Wink that they wish for plane tickets to Springfield. In order to get them, they go through physical torture (particularly Homer), then must pick them up from a rickety bridge over an active volcano. Lisa is able to get the tickets, but Wink breaks the bridge and the whole family falls into the volcano, which is actually orangeade with lots of wasabi added. As the Simpsons leave Japan, their plane is briefly confronted by four giant monsters – Godzilla, Mothra, Gamera and Rodan before it flies off on the journey to Springfield.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

When Ned Flanders catches Homer burgling his house, he says he got more for less by attending the Chuck Garabedian Mega-Savings Seminar. Homer steals Ned's tickets and the Simpsons attend the seminar, in which Chuck explains many money-saving strategies.

Check out those strategies, see if you spot the one that stands out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjYT3Egc1CU

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Check out those strategies, see if you spot the one that stands out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjYT3Egc1CU

Without clicking the link, I seem to recall it's something pretty transphobic.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Electrical Fire posted:

Without clicking the link, I seem to recall it's something pretty transphobic.

"Those beautiful women? They used to be men."

*crowd reacts with disgust*

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Among other reasons that the episode where Marge takes steroids is godawful, a bunch of the "jokes" are lifted straight from the episode of Family Guy where Lois becomes a martial artist.

CaptainViolence posted:

this thread is breaking my brain. i keep thinking "oh this one has to be fake" and with like two exceptions i've gotten a paragraph or two in and suddenly remembered seeing it live when it aired and managing to repress all memories of it until now

the loving eye scraping bit, oh my god

I've read Simpsons episode guides while trying to figure out when I stopped watching the show, and I always stop because I start feeling like I'm remembering things that didn't happen and I get too freaked out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I enjoy this because how convoluted it is, and also because I've been thinking about the last bad episodes I had watched recently but turns out this one is 10 years old. I have no idea what a contemporary Simpsons episode is even like anymore.

"On the Fourth of July, the Simpson family visit a cabin in the woods. While driving there, they pick up hitchhikers Squeaky Voiced Teen and his girlfriend, Beatrice. Homer flashes back twenty years earlier, when he and Marge ride their bikes down a highway. While trying to kiss, Homer crashes his bike, forcing them to walk. Ned and Maude Flanders driving by, see them and pick them up. Ned and Maude reveal they are married, but having some marital problems and, seeing this, Homer proposes to 'not' marry Marge. Back in the present, Homer becomes annoyed with the Squeaky Voiced Teen kissing Beatrice, prompting another flashback.

In their married years in 2004, Homer and Marge are more stressed. Driving with Marge, Patty and Selma, and getting the usual flak from the latter two, Homer angrily kicks them out of the car, unaware they had the map to their cabin destination. The car runs out of gas and Homer and Marge walk off with a gas can, stopping at a home to use the phone. The owner, Alberto, is having a party, and he invites them in. Marge becomes enraged after seeing Homer flirting with a beautiful woman named Sylvia. Following an argument, Marge accidentally falls into the pool. Homer starts a sushi fight, and Marge regrets marrying Homer. In the present, the family drops off the Squeaky-Voiced Teen and Beatrice, and continue to their cabin.

Homer and Marge flash back to their dating years, when Flanders brought them along to the same cabins. Flanders barricades unmarried Homer and Marge chastely in separate rooms.

In their married years, Marge leaves the party with Alberto, while Homer drives off with Sylvia. They each of course end up at the cabins. Via a sequence of mid-century movie plot cliches, Alberto and Sylvia fall in love while Homer and Marge rekindle their love.

In the present, Homer and Marge meet Alberto and Sylvia, now married with a daughter named Ruthie and learn of each other's near-affairs. Marge is disgusted, but Homer points out she was just as bad as he was. Homer regrets marrying Marge and, trapped in a ball of their luggage which happened while unpacking, has Ruthie roll him into the woods.

Back in their dating years, Ned tells Homer that if he was married to Marge, he could make all the love to her he wants. Taking a walk through the woods with Marge, Homer carves the message "Marge + Homer 4ever" into a tree. In the present, Homer sees this message, then Marge arrives and accidentally knocks the tree over a ravine. Homer clings onto the bark and falls down the ravine toward the river below with Marge falling after. They are saved by Bart and Lisa in their pedal car, which Bart had accidentally driven into the river."

Like a summary written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I feel like that South Park episode with the manatees was applicable to the Simpsons before it was applicable to Family Guy.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I enjoy this because how convoluted it is, and also because I've been thinking about the last bad episodes I had watched recently but turns out this one is 10 years old. I have no idea what a contemporary Simpsons episode is even like anymore.
I just watched one from this season and it feels like it's written by people who grew up watching the seasons written by people who watched the ones written by the original writers. There are still classic Simpsons-style jokes and gags in there, but it doesn't have the same feel and everything feels like it's already been done.

Christmas episode. Couch gag is a couch ornament with someone off screen putting ornaments of the family members on it, with the Homer ornament being too heavy and cracking the couch in half, knocking over the tree.

quote:

Five weeks before Christmas, Lenny orders his Christmas gift online. Two days later UPS delivers it, but someone immediately steals it.

Working as a lighthouse keeper, Sideshow Bob is visited by Cassandra Patterson, a neighbor. She tells him she mentioned him in town, and Bob knows he let his guard down around her when two men come visiting, but they offer him a job at the Springfield Mall as Santa Claus. Meanwhile, more people are getting robbed of their delivered gifts.

The Simpsons visit Santa's village. Bart skips the line to see Santa, and realizes who he really is. Bob tries to strangle him, but he can't because he refuses to break character.

When a plan to trick the robbers with gunpowder fails for Lenny, Lenny writes 'SB' with his blood. When the news is reported, Homer calls the cops to reveal that SB means Selma Bouvier and she is arrested, freeing the recently-held suspects Scott Bakula, Steve Ballmer, and Sandra Bullock.

Bart still suspects Bob, who agrees to help Bart find the culprit by concealing himself in a box which is placed on the porch.

The thief arrives and the family follows the van to a hangar, finding out Waylon Smithers and Mr. Burns were the culprits. Lisa suggests Burns did it because he's depressed. Mr. Burns tells the story of how as a child he was heartbroken one Christmas, when he asked Santa for just a hug and a smile from his parents and they never delivered, sending him to boarding school instead. Bob as Santa convinces Burns that his harsh upbringing made him the success he is today. Burns and Smithers then return the presents.

A few notes on details left out and some of the classic Simpsons-style gags.

The lighthouse scene starts with Bob painting dead Bart ornaments for his tree. After he learns the two men aren't there to arrest him, he aims the harpoon gun he was pointing at them up and shoots it in celebration, hitting a passing bird with a mouthful of fish.

The UPS delivery team is four people who jump out of the truck, three of them put down the packages, and the fourth straightens them and checks them with a level. The next delivery is stolen and the guy walks out, says something like "Someone stole my delivery, that was my Porch Repair Kit!" and the porch collapses.

Santa's village also has a Chanukah Hollow next to it featuring a Dreidel Casino. Krusty is rooting for gimel, but it comes up shin, and he remarks "I thought this would be the one part of Judaism I'm good at."

Lenny is bleeding and covered in blue paint. Chief Wiggum says "the only clue is these initials next to the corpse" Lou responds "he's not a corpse, he's breathing!" Wiggum: "Well I say he's a corpse" Lenny lifts his head up and shouts "and I say I'm not!" Wiggum responds "you don't get a vote.

Bob ends up helping after he catches Bart snooping in the lighthouse, where Bart tells him the only way he'll believe Bob isn't the one stealing packages is if he finds out who is.

Bob is at the Simpson's house, packs himself into the box, Marge asks how he managed to do it, and he responds "You learn a lot of things driving around the country in a clown car." Instead of picking the box up, Homer kicks it across the floor, up the stairs, down the hall and out the window, then opens the front door to kick it over since it landed on its side.

When they're chasing the package thief, they're tailing the van in the car, which is being tailed by the Duff blimp, which is being tailed by a drone, and the zoom continues up past a satellite to Santa, who comments that he can't breathe and puts on an oxygen mask. One of the reindeer is dead, and another reaches over and cuts it loose to drift away.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
You left out that the family sings Baby Shark together in the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lady Gaga passes through Springfield via train while on her way to a concert. Seeing how low the city's self-esteem is, she takes it upon herself to cheer up the whole city. However, no one in town is more depressed than Lisa, who was voted as the most unpopular student by her peers. Lisa tries to reverse her status as one of the least popular girls in school by ghostwriting positive things about herself on the school blog under the heading "Truth Teller".
When Bart finds out her secret and reveals it to the school, her social ranking plummets to a new low until a psychic force tells Lady Gaga that Lisa needs her help immediately. After much soul searching and yelling at Lady Gaga for trying to help, Lisa realizes that her outburst helped her because she is finally expressing her anger instead of bottling it up inside her, in effect making Lady Gaga's mission successful. Lisa catches Lady Gaga just before she leaves town to apologize, and after being forgiven she and Lady Gaga perform a duet together. With Lady Gaga's assistance, Lisa and the entire town of Springfield realize that being oneself is better than being like anyone else. Just as Lady Gaga's train begins to leave again, Moe runs up to her and asks if she can help him as well, but Lady Gaga declines, stating that she's not that good. As Moe turns and walks across the train track, a second train hits him.
During the credits, Homer is heard singing his rendition of "Poker Face".

I decided to look up which episode has the lowest IMBD rating, and this is it.