Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

EbolaIvory posted:

Yep

Read that and ya.

With that said, Do you guys use modassistant? PlaylistLoaderLite is in the first section.

To reiterate: we are talking about downloading playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Twitch was getting hit by new DMCA bots that could flag streamers in near-realtime.

Also the song servers (beatsaver) went down multiple times for weeks-long outages between Thanksgiving and now. Whenever the servers were down mappers were unable to upload new songs. There's a lot more to it but blah blah drama.

Not a single saber streamer got hit with a live DMCA.

People are just scared rear end bitches tbh. Like unless you're bopping around to avril or something you're at worst going to get a mute on the VOD. Almost every map worth playing for a streamer is something that isn't on some major label that probably wont ever see any kind of mute even.

Theres really not a lot to it. People over reacted just like the last time the DMCA sweeps rolled out. The same exact OMG THEY CAN GET US LIVE thing happened, people watched what they did for a couple months, repeat following year.

With all that said. You ARE rolling the dice on DMCAs after the fact. The odds of being pulled live are 10000000000000000000 to unless you're on the front page, advertising you're playing someone elses music you dont have a license for AND your stream lasts long enough for said company to come push the button. But VOD DMCAs are a thing if you're using a lot of popular music or labels with a habit of trying to sue people.

*I work with music licensing*

Ralith posted:

To reiterate: we are talking about downloading playlists.

Ya I'm gonna slap a couple playlists in with some default no brainer mods and see wtf. If the game sees the playlist after you load it, it should just have a DL button on it. I missed it the first time. shrugemoji

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

EbolaIvory posted:

Ya I'm gonna slap a couple playlists in with some default no brainer mods and see wtf. If the game sees the playlist after you load it, it should just have a DL button on it. I missed it the first time. shrugemoji

If you have to install a playlist manually, you're not downloading it in-game. I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was doing a Joe Hisaishi track in Beat Saber the other day and thinking that while it would be cool if Beat Saber did officially other types of music, like classical, I was also wondering how it really doesn't work very well with it. Beat Saber shines with music with clear differentiated beats, for obvious reasons, while classical music is mostly about smooth harmonies and transitions, not sudden beats. If they do something a Beat Saber 2, they should add some new types of block or other gameplay elements. For example something like a hook you can connect to a line that moves (think in a cross between Bioshock Infinite and the lines of Synth Riders).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Oh just realized they removed the player stats screen back in the big interface update. What the hell are they doing over there?
I finally noticed this yesterday. Jesus why would they remove that? Now I have no idea which songs I've actually managed to pass.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cicero posted:

I finally noticed this yesterday. Jesus why would they remove that? Now I have no idea which songs I've actually managed to pass.

they added it back in, its in the tutorial section. unless it was removed again with last week's update...

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

People are just scared rear end bitches tbh. Like unless you're bopping around to avril or something you're at worst going to get a mute on the VOD. Almost every map worth playing for a streamer is something that isn't on some major label that probably wont ever see any kind of mute even.

I don't quite get this and haven't been following along with any Twitch legal drama, most of what I like is random pop songs since I'm a basic old, is Avril particularly litigious or are you saying I should be sticking to like anime remixes and poo poo if I ever stream on Twitch?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chomposaur posted:

I don't quite get this and haven't been following along with any Twitch legal drama, most of what I like is random pop songs since I'm a basic old, is Avril particularly litigious or are you saying I should be sticking to like anime remixes and poo poo if I ever stream on Twitch?

Avril is my only current actual/active DMCA funny enough.

But yes, You'd want to stick to indie labels, stuff like fixt/monstercat/99 lives, then of course the weeby poo poo.

If its ranked, Theres a good chance its "Safe". Outside of that bop rear end katy perry song.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
These new maps are pretty good but gently caress are they hard. I can do a lot of things on expert+ but I can't even do any of these except for one on Expert.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

These new maps are pretty good but gently caress are they hard. I can do a lot of things on expert+ but I can't even do any of these except for one on Expert.

They are too hard to be on the OST imo.

They are pulling too much from the ranked community and shoving it in normal peoples faces. The window notes, wide open streams, etc. Its PP grinder stuff, not fun mapping. The E/E+ scale has jumped around so much at this point they need to cap it for a while. OST is getting too close to 300+ PP stuff.

This is why synth riders is the better actual game without mods and poo poo.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m still surprised that there’s no star rating system for difficulty like in so many other games. Over the years I’ve seen that rhythm games tend to release harder content as the players grow more familiar with the game, especially at the higher ends, but since there’s a rating system for difficulty then they can show players that the Expert song they’re about to play is as hard as an Expert+ song.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i just use the blocks per second number instead of the difficult rating, it's generally a more useful measurement

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jenny Agutter posted:

i just use the blocks per second number instead of the difficult rating, it's generally a more useful measurement

Yep.

PP value first. If its not ranked, Notes Per Second.

blastron posted:

I’m still surprised that there’s no star rating system for difficulty like in so many other games. Over the years I’ve seen that rhythm games tend to release harder content as the players grow more familiar with the game, especially at the higher ends, but since there’s a rating system for difficulty then they can show players that the Expert song they’re about to play is as hard as an Expert+ song.

To be honest, its because the developers are bad at music games

I know that sounds odd. But like, the community runs this game. The OST mapping these days? direct rip off mapping of PP grinder poo poo. Its all trickle down. Problem is they wanna keep pushing the bar and not just "stop" for a while and let things grow up. So difficulty is a scattered rear end mess and they haven't been updating the old ost stuff to compensate. Theres no real consistency anymore which is why theres no actual system like stars for difficulty. Its also why I exclusively just play custom maps in Saber. The community has been mapping better stuff than the devs since day 1.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 23, 2021

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
lol didnt know this thread existed
ive been going through lots of generated maps based on music i actually like and post video of some of the better ones on my youtube. if you want any of the tracks theyre in 3 separate zip files here, each zip has about 150 tracks:
https://mega.nz/folder/0NFnQQyC#WokEulNqG9wJzq6fxVhx8g
here are some nifty ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8AG3W2wfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-aPt71jy40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kett2aI32Ns

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hey why has this thread been dead for 8 months

show me your favorite maps, fools

blastron posted:

There actually is a star system, there is an algorithm within score saber that rates stuff. For whatever reason, however, very few songs have enough data for the algorithm to rate them. You can sort by star on the Score Saber site and see where certain stuff lines up to get a good idea of what star level you play at, but you can't really determine what star level any given map is at blindly unless you have extensive knowledge of mapping stuff.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

Hey why has this thread been dead for 8 months

show me your favorite maps, fools

There actually is a star system, there is an algorithm within score saber that rates stuff. For whatever reason, however, very few songs have enough data for the algorithm to rate them. You can sort by star on the Score Saber site and see where certain stuff lines up to get a good idea of what star level you play at, but you can't really determine what star level any given map is at blindly unless you have extensive knowledge of mapping stuff.

https://beatsaver.com/profile/4285482

Anything timbo does p.much

And this is insane
https://beatsaver.com/maps/1e6ff

I don't personally post much because I don't saber much anymore. I pp grind a bit once in a while and thats about it. Tons of cool maps atm tho.

Also playlist chat. Mods been updated. You can download lists and poo poo in game now.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 4, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

https://beatsaver.com/profile/4285482

Anything timbo does p.much

And this is insane
https://beatsaver.com/maps/1e6ff

I don't personally post much because I don't saber much anymore. I pp grind a bit once in a while and thats about it. Tons of cool maps atm tho.

Also playlist chat. Mods been updated. You can download lists and poo poo in game now.

Yeah, Timbo has baller maps. I am actually good enough to pass p. much all of them now, but my scoring sucks on maps where I get tired. I am a choose one: score well, do 10+ blocks/sec but not both kind of player.

Seems like weird tech maps are the new business.
Like https://bsaber.com/songs/1e55f/
and https://bsaber.com/songs/1c2f7/
are a couple that I love... to HATE.

edit: also pauls are satisfying to do, even if they can't be scored well https://bsaber.com/songs/1d1dc/

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 4, 2022

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hooray, someone played my ridiculous map I made for Motorball from the Alita soundtrack lol https://youtu.be/C6l38lEo8ds
Such a cool tune

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

El Grillo posted:

Hooray, someone played my ridiculous map I made for Motorball from the Alita soundtrack lol https://youtu.be/C6l38lEo8ds
Such a cool tune

From the video, it doesn't seem ridiculous, it's just filled with bad mapping practices. Yet, it's basic enough that a competent player can overcome them without much trouble.

The most basic principle in mapping is that if you swing in one direction on any given saber, the next note should be in some degree (usually within 90 degrees) of the opposite direction. Pretty much 99% of maps will hold this principle to the extent that even if there is a pause in notes for 10, 20, 30 seconds, whatever, the next note will still be an opposite.

If you have two down notes in a row for example, that is called a "reset" and is considered a mapping mistake so to speak, the idea being if the map were at a faster pace, it could not be sight read with ease. A reset constitutes an unmarked extra swing (IE resetting your arm position), when each note in the map should be read as one swing. You can remedy it by adding an obstacle like a bomb between the notes if you don't want to follow a standard flow; the bomb essentially reads as a marked reset, and is a common practice.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 4, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I'm playing this again, after my Index has been out of commission on the notion of some Samsung Odyssey displays poisoning the NVidia driver with bad EDID data. :argh:

Anyhow, are scoreboards between the modded SteamVR and Oculus versions still separate? I'm just wondering, because while my current song list is on the older side, the latest high scores all seem to be equally old, as if no one's playing those maps anymore, despite having high ratings and counts. You'd figure with the Quests being popular, that there'd be some more traffic on the scoreboards.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyhow, are scoreboards between the modded SteamVR and Oculus versions still separate?

Yes. You have different scoresaber IDs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why's that, anyhow, if both submit scores to Scoresaber?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why's that, anyhow, if both submit scores to Scoresaber?

You have different user IDs on each platform.
Theres no system to combine them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wait what? No, I'm asking whether Steam and Quest users have separate score boards, or if they all submit and see the same one. As in, if a Quest player does a highscore on song X, and then I check said song's scoreboard on my Steam version, will I see it or not?

--edit:
I'm asking because scores on popular songs are outdated as gently caress, and new maps barely get any score entries for my country. It ain't the biggest, but the Quest isn't that unpopular here. Thus the question about split scoreboards.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what? No, I'm asking whether Steam and Quest users have separate score boards, or if they all submit and see the same one. As in, if a Quest player does a highscore on song X, and then I check said song's scoreboard on my Steam version, will I see it or not?

--edit:
I'm asking because scores on popular songs are outdated as gently caress, and new maps barely get any score entries for my country. It ain't the biggest, but the Quest isn't that unpopular here. Thus the question about split scoreboards.

Oculus side has its own user ID.
Steam has its own user ID.
Scoresaber uses those IDs.

If you score a map on your oculus account, then play on your steam account, your steam score is not your oculus score. The board itself is "shared" in the sense that both scores will be there, but you can't link your accounts together.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyhow, are scoreboards between the modded SteamVR and Oculus versions still separate? I'm just wondering, because while my current song list is on the older side, the latest high scores all seem to be equally old, as if no one's playing those maps anymore, despite having high ratings and counts. You'd figure with the Quests being popular, that there'd be some more traffic on the scoreboards.

Base game Beat Saber splits the scoreboards by platform: Steam, Quest, Rift, PSVR
Scoresaber splits the scoreboards by account ID: Steam-ID, Oculus-username-ID

If you're not seeing newer scores for modmaps/custom songs, then your scoresaber plugin is likely out of date. If you're looking at modded Quest custom song scoreboards, well... those are just kinda broken AF.

I think unless the modded Quest users are running an old version 1.17.1 then they simply cannot submit scores for custom songs, and scoresaber won't show it at all.

Scratch that- Quest-native users cannot submit scores to scoresaber at all.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 12, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Very jarring to be reminded they censor songs while playing the lady Gaga pack. Guess that's why they didn't even include lovegame

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
AFAIK almost all of the higher scores on the leaderboards are exclusively Rift and Rift S users. There are only a few Index players because the Index controllers are much more difficult to use. Quest and Quest 2 tracking is a bit off, and you have to go through Steam as BMBF doesn't have Scoresaber. So that leaves CV1 Rift and Rift Touch players, which are so far the "best" to use with Beat Saber.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Index players are slowly creeping up the leaderboard. Most of the top100 players are there with CV1 & Rift mostly because they've been playing the longest. It wasn't until late 2021 that more Index players started catching on that you shouldn't be running default saber angel settings. But yeah the lower weight and better CG distribution of the CV1, Rift Touch, and Quest 2 gives a considerable advantage over the heaver, chunkier Index knuckles.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Index players are slowly creeping up the leaderboard. Most of the top100 players are there with CV1 & Rift mostly because they've been playing the longest. It wasn't until late 2021 that more Index players started catching on that you shouldn't be running default saber angel settings. But yeah the lower weight and better CG distribution of the CV1, Rift Touch, and Quest 2 gives a considerable advantage over the heaver, chunkier Index knuckles.

Its not just speed maps for PP now. People are breaking out vive wands for ACC with tech maps n poo poo. Meta is changing.

Oculus controllers have always been speed. When I stopped speed chasing my oculus poo poo got retired fast.

CrazyLittle posted:

Most of the top100 players are there with CV1 & Rift mostly because they've been playing the longest.

And thats 100% true. Lots of the top 100 that are STILL top 100 from boomer days are CV1 players who upgraded. IN my 150 rank days I was on vive wands after swapping from CV1.

All the new blood that screamed to top 100/1000? Quest kiddos mostly.

Rank is wild now. "Top 10,000" is "good" now. Then again the PP pool is so deep its not even funny.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 2, 2022

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EbolaIvory posted:

And thats 100% true. Lots of the top 100 that are STILL top 100 from boomer days are CV1 players who upgraded. IN my 150 rank days I was on vive wands after swapping from CV1.

Yeah I think the most notable exception is Udon, who speedran top10 ranking in... 5 months?

But then again he's a kid with noodle arms and his bones haven't fully formed yet. Meanwhile I'm loving older than the internet and I'm only breaking 8.4k rank points recently

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah I think the most notable exception is Udon, who speedran top10 ranking in... 5 months?

But then again he's a kid with noodle arms and his bones haven't fully formed yet. Meanwhile I'm loving older than the internet and I'm only breaking 8.4k rank points recently

Honestly once speed maps and flappy bird maps took over the meta I stopped. The new tech meta has my saber boner pretty hard though.

https://scoresaber.com/leaderboard/368040

Is great. (I Hate the walls tho. SO I'm that guy and disable em. Its 5% score, idgaf.)

https://scoresaber.com/leaderboard/406936

Fun stuff.

https://scoresaber.com/leaderboard/348299

More fun stuff.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Haha nice. Yeah I playtested Oyasumi and afterward asked the mapper to stop trying to murder me with her WIP maps

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Haha nice. Yeah I playtested Oyasumi and afterward asked the mapper to stop trying to murder me with her WIP maps

Yeah the walls in it are obnoxious. Its not even fun tbqh. Like I have some squat maps that people made me back in the day for memes, and its not the actual squat for me. Its the literal obstruction of notes. No idea how some of that skates rank but whatever.

Mapping itself? Great.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Oh the ranking rules are so arbitrary and often ignored. It's their own tiny clique, which is why alternative ladder boards popped up over at https://hitbloq.com/ where you can make your own pool of maps and run you own tiny ladder.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Oh the ranking rules are so arbitrary and often ignored. It's their own tiny clique, which is why alternative ladder boards popped up over at https://hitbloq.com/ where you can make your own pool of maps and run you own tiny ladder.

I understand the ranking team. Quite well actually. 2000+ hours and BS was my literal job for 18 or something months.

You say they are often ignored, but tbqh I'm not gonna totally agree there. If we were talking a year ago+ or whatever, sure. But these days a lot of "qualified maps" get yanked before they stay ranked. We may not agree with some of the things, but they follow the rules typically. The only thing I consistently see is block obstruction but its like so borderline its technically rankable, or things are slightly off time, and that tends to be lower ranks of maps so they let that poo poo slide. I will agree that it was awful in boomer saber, and only got better recently.

Ranking system has gotten a heap better, so much so I recommend ranked maps over non ranked maps for newer players simply because I know if they have lower difficulties everything will be mapped in a way to build actual skill for a player and not the randomness of poo poo notes that is most maps otherwise.

Personal opinion? I think every map should be ranked, regardless. Sniffyz shitmaps from boomer era? Almost every pattern is rankable now, and people are using them. Turns out people like Sniffyz were loving geniuses.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 7, 2022

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah agreed 100% - but there's still some shiny turds that slip through like Dancecore (an entire map of double-downs, 9.5 `stars) or that new ranked map that has Chroma set as a requirement

EbolaIvory posted:

Personal opinion? I think every map should be ranked, regardless. Sniffyz shitmaps from boomer era? Almost every pattern is rankable now, and people are using them. Turns out people like Sniffyz were loving geniuses.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine passed Sniffy's pattern test... heheh

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Oh yeah, a friend of mine passed Sniffy's pattern test... heheh

A lot of his maps were "PASS THIS FOR 1000$" kinda poo poo. His farewell/goodbye i think is his newest? Its probably one of the most fair ones too. XD

He paid the bounties too. That man paid for half my 2080ti when I still streamed. Dude would come in and flex that black card. XD

Yo if you like poo poo maps. Check out smooth criminal. When that launched back in boomer era I found it randomly streaming one night, dropped it off to logan and that boy sat down for 4 hours or something on stream to beat it.

His was the first legit score ever. Theres so many bad insane dumb things to "beat".

https://beatsaver.com/maps/ff9

EDIT: Holy poo poo, someones got a 91.68% on that poo poo? WOW

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 7, 2022

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the bounty for "Sniffyz Pattern Test Please Ignore" is a house. And per the man himself he's serious. He's got a couple extra places in Canada that he could give. But of course the pass was done by writing a path-solving bot that reads the map and translates it into steamvr controller swing commands and then replays them into the game. (it also disables score submission too)

Yeah I've played a little bit of Smooth Criminal. It's every bit as terrible as its reputation implies.

If you want to ride the meme wave you should try my shitmap, We Don't Talk About Rats: https://beatsaver.com/maps/2133b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, the bounty for "Sniffyz Pattern Test Please Ignore" is a house. And per the man himself he's serious. He's got a couple extra places in Canada that he could give. But of course the pass was done by writing a path-solving bot that reads the map and translates it into steamvr controller swing commands and then replays them into the game. (it also disables score submission too)

Yeah I've played a little bit of Smooth Criminal. It's every bit as terrible as its reputation implies.

If you want to ride the meme wave you should try my shitmap, We Don't Talk About Rats: https://beatsaver.com/maps/2133b

I'm gonna download this today. I love poo poo maps.

Its rad sniffyz rep still exists. XD