Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mulloy posted:

Awesome. I did not know those settings existed. Thanks!

Yeah I dunno why the player height setting isn't in the regular game settings menu as well as the song options. Took me a while to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah that's a setting that sees frequent changes in our house, my wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'3"

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Checked out a bunch of those mappers, most of them are pretty good but I still find Benny the best.

I also just don't really like a lot of the songs people choose to map. I really definitely don't care for dumb meme maps, I want bangers darn it!

Something the OST of BS got right was that a ton of those songs are pure fire.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Checked out a bunch of those mappers, most of them are pretty good but I still find Benny the best.

I also just don't really like a lot of the songs people choose to map. I really definitely don't care for dumb meme maps, I want bangers darn it!

Something the OST of BS got right was that a ton of those songs are pure fire.

Some of the best maps, are mash ups right now. Ruckus mashups (x gon give it to ya maybe, black and yellow/feel good in), Joetastics new popstars one is freaking amazing.

Benny was good until my skillset got higher (I still like dancing around, But sometimes theres just nothing to do between notes and while benny does map well for dancing, he neglects a lot of stuff in early maps for moves/etc in the interest of making the maps playable, Newer stuff he does this less). His stuffs fine but you can totally tell when he really was into a song (otter pop for example), and when he wasnt.

His newest maps have been really good though. I think he got his passion back.

BTW a lot of mappers are streamers, or people who are friends of streamers. So they get play tested live a lot. Which means popular music gets muted. + This is partly OSU community mapping as well. So we basically get "good" or "Great" Maps on a bunch of non popular music.

Some stuff ends up getting mapped though. Master Of Puppets by Crankor. Is hecking amazing. Its not an easy map, but its amaaaaaazeballs.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 16, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah that's a setting that sees frequent changes in our house, my wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'3"

I wish the game would just automatically calibrate height once a song is selected. Allow the player to disable that if they want to, but making that an automatic process by default would make it easier to play with friends.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

I wish the game would just automatically calibrate height once a song is selected. Allow the player to disable that if they want to, but making that an automatic process by default would make it easier to play with friends.

Pro Tip

If you're set shorter, The notes are together closer. The grid grows and shrinks based on player height.

set your poo poo to 1.5m. Thank me later.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Pro Tip

If you're set shorter, The notes are together closer. The grid grows and shrinks based on player height.

set your poo poo to 1.5m. Thank me later.

That sounds like it would mean less dramatic flailing, which is why I play this game :D

Related, if you do a full squat while "weighing in" for Thrill of the Fight, it scales down your opponents and turns the game into Hobbit Puncher.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

That sounds like it would mean less dramatic flailing, which is why I play this game :D

Related, if you do a full squat while "weighing in" for Thrill of the Fight, it scales down your opponents and turns the game into Hobbit Puncher.

When/if you start playing stuff like nulcear star, that'll change. Hehehe

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I find that the sound of hitting blocks works really well on the original tracks as they’re designed around it, and generally sounds terrible on custom ones. Is there a way of setting it up to only play on original tracks?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

all_purpose_cat_boy posted:

I find that the sound of hitting blocks works really well on the original tracks as they’re designed around it, and generally sounds terrible on custom ones. Is there a way of setting it up to only play on original tracks?

That's the biggest reason why I never really got into custom tracks. A track can have a fun layout, but hearing that sound over a Queen song or something is really jarring :(.

I wouldn't want hits to be silent (the feedback is nice), but if there's a way to replace it with a more subtle sound, that'd be great.

Shine fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 17, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Just being able to set the slicing sounds to like 15% of the volume would be nice, even better if you could change it from the pause menu inside a song.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
You can reduce the hit sound with a mod, a sound level of 5 is pretty good, noticeable but not loud.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I have an issue with tracking on my Oculus Rift. Sometimes the blue saber will just stay in one spot and all movements are anchored at the base of the saber. It'll eventually start tracking properly again but that doesn't really help mid song. It can usually be fixed by giving my computer a restart and things will work fine for my play session.

I've seen the spring mod for the Touch Controllers but this happens even if I'm not swinging the controller hard so I don't know if it's from the battery losing contact. I definitely punched one of my walls with the controller while playing GORN and it left a bit of a scuff on the controller. Would that cause issues with tracking?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

infinite99 posted:

I have an issue with tracking on my Oculus Rift. Sometimes the blue saber will just stay in one spot and all movements are anchored at the base of the saber. It'll eventually start tracking properly again but that doesn't really help mid song. It can usually be fixed by giving my computer a restart and things will work fine for my play session.

I've seen the spring mod for the Touch Controllers but this happens even if I'm not swinging the controller hard so I don't know if it's from the battery losing contact. I definitely punched one of my walls with the controller while playing GORN and it left a bit of a scuff on the controller. Would that cause issues with tracking?

You are losing locational tracking. Adjust your sensors and/or buy more.
Optimal location is on the ceiling towards the middle of your playspace, no more than 18 feet apart

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

rage-saq posted:

You are losing locational tracking. Adjust your sensors and/or buy more.
Optimal location is on the ceiling towards the middle of your playspace, no more than 18 feet apart

Thanks! I'll try moving the sensors around before getting a third one. My play space isn't very large at all so I'm sure I can figure out a good spot. Could I have one sensor up higher, pointing down and then have the other sensor at about desk height facing each other diagonally or should they both be set up at the same level?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

infinite99 posted:

Thanks! I'll try moving the sensors around before getting a third one. My play space isn't very large at all so I'm sure I can figure out a good spot. Could I have one sensor up higher, pointing down and then have the other sensor at about desk height facing each other diagonally or should they both be set up at the same level?

The height doesn’t need to match, Oculus vision fusion tech for tracking is pretty damned amazing.
However, you *will* get subpar tracking with any VR platform if the following conditions are not true:
1: your sensors are not on the ceiling (or mounted a bit higher than your head) and free of obstructions from your play space
2: you have less than 3 sensors

That is not to say you cannot be satisfied in lesser setups, but I cannot stress enough how HUGE of a difference these two points make for tracking. Oculus+touch should have never been sold with less than 3 sensors.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

The height doesn’t need to match, Oculus vision fusion tech for tracking is pretty damned amazing.
However, you *will* get subpar tracking with any VR platform if the following conditions are not true:
1: your sensors are not on the ceiling (or mounted a bit higher than your head) and free of obstructions from your play space
2: you have less than 3 sensors

That is not to say you cannot be satisfied in lesser setups, but I cannot stress enough how HUGE of a difference these two points make for tracking. Oculus+touch should have never been sold with less than 3 sensors.

For saber 3 is entirely unnecessary.

There’s a ton of top 50+ players rocking 2 sensors. The only problems some of them have honestly ain’t due to lack of sensors it’s other bullheck causing skips

I mean. Everyone should have 3+ but for saber meeehhh

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I haven't read through it yet, but someone made a very detailed all in one napping guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/beatsaber/comments/ahg6s0/i_made_a_comprehensive_beat_saber_mapping_guide/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gerdalti posted:

I haven't read through it yet, but someone made a very detailed all in one napping guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/beatsaber/comments/ahg6s0/i_made_a_comprehensive_beat_saber_mapping_guide/

Skylers a good mapper. He also makes some fun maps and I’d recommend checking out his stuff. He used to collab with Benny a bit back in the darker ages of custom maps.

Beat joetastics popstar mash up tonight with pentatoggle (5 colored blocks, 2 colors per hand trigger swaps colors grey is neutral.). Pretty excited about the game mode. Once I figure out wtf is causing the frame rate in headset going to dookie It’ll be super duper amazing.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/366308301

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe

EbolaIvory posted:

Beat joetastics popstar mash up tonight with pentatoggle (5 colored blocks, 2 colors per hand trigger swaps colors grey is neutral.). Pretty excited about the game mode. Once I figure out wtf is causing the frame rate in headset going to dookie It’ll be super duper amazing.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/366308301

That's loving nuts.

I tried changing my size to 1.5 meters but it makes a lot of stuff I liked before feel really slow and boring.

I like all the beatmap author recommendations from this and the VR thread because there sure does seem to be a lot of trash on beatsaver. Are there any good metal maps though? Some angry music?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

IronMcHardSteel posted:

That's loving nuts.

I tried changing my size to 1.5 meters but it makes a lot of stuff I liked before feel really slow and boring.

I like all the beatmap author recommendations from this and the VR thread because there sure does seem to be a lot of trash on beatsaver. Are there any good metal maps though? Some angry music?

Funny you should ask.

https://beatsaver.com/search/all/0?key=MSGA

Rexxxzi dropped in the night they dropped that pack and yeah, they are all pretty good. Grisens are ok, but he didnt quite capture the band as well as the rest of the guys did, but still holy poo poo good map pack.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

EbolaIvory posted:

Funny you should ask.

https://beatsaver.com/search/all/0?key=MSGA

Rexxxzi dropped in the night they dropped that pack and yeah, they are all pretty good. Grisens are ok, but he didnt quite capture the band as well as the rest of the guys did, but still holy poo poo good map pack.

I got a few of there via syncsaber.,. They are difficult.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

On the topic of syncsaber, it has increased my enjoyment of the game more than any other mod, by completely eliminating the "fishing for new maps that dont suck" process. The initial setup takes a bit as you have to make an account on the website and follow a few mapmakers you like, but once you have that set up, and configure it to autodownload new maps from followed and curated makers, you'll get a good 300 songs right away, all with good to excellent maps, and a few new ones every day.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hey, I finally got custom songs to work, thanks to this topic.

(Note: I had not tried very hard)

Is there a mod that brings back the original sabers?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

FBS posted:

Hey, I finally got custom songs to work, thanks to this topic.

(Note: I had not tried very hard)

Is there a mod that brings back the original sabers?

Yeah just install custom sabers and they're there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Hellsau posted:

Yeah just install custom sabers and they're there.

Well that was easy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

FBS posted:

Well that was easy.

also get custom platforms and use the spectrograph one, it's like you're playing in a winamp visualization

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I really hope when Oculus Quest comes out they get the same mod flexibility as PCVR.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Y'all need to download Realms by Shad w/ Dankruptmemer, it just blew me away.

No joke, pretty groundbreaking map IMO.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Is it on bsaber? I'm not seeing it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Yeah he put a ton of work into it. It was his application to the royal bomb family. Officially the prince while hiesenberg is king.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Having trouble with syncsaber, for some reason on the bsaber page I have no option to follow mappers? Just has send message or add friend. Any ideas?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I'm terrible at it, but drat it's a lot of fun.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Shoefish posted:

Having trouble with syncsaber, for some reason on the bsaber page I have no option to follow mappers? Just has send message or add friend. Any ideas?

Did you go to the maps tab of the mappers page?

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

Skyarb posted:

Did you go to the maps tab of the mappers page?

Turns out it was adblocker loving with poo poo, all sorted now, yay.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Bought this game when it came out, played the default maps and felt meh about it. A year later I finally get around to downloading the custom track mods and holy crap. Amazing.

Now I'm starting to wonder/worry about when all the custom stuff is gonna get shut down, as Beat Saber continues to grow in popularity.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Chewbot posted:

Bought this game when it came out, played the default maps and felt meh about it. A year later I finally get around to downloading the custom track mods and holy crap. Amazing.

Now I'm starting to wonder/worry about when all the custom stuff is gonna get shut down, as Beat Saber continues to grow in popularity.

Beat Saver has been up since like the first week and has over 12k songs. Who knows.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I mentioned in the vr thread but I thought I would mention here. If you are playing the steam version but have a Rift be sure to bypass steamvr and just play it through the Oculus SDK. I didn't know that was a thing so I just bought it again through the Oculus store. It solved all of my hit detection issues.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I have been following a lot of suggestions for mappers but no one even comes close to Benny for me. A lot of the other suggested ones are good but they are more technical or challenging while benny's maps are both challenging (though not too hard) but just a dream to play, very dancy and fun.

Does anyone have any mapper suggestions for mappers similar to BennyDaBeast's style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Skyarb posted:

I have been following a lot of suggestions for mappers but no one even comes close to Benny for me. A lot of the other suggested ones are good but they are more technical or challenging while benny's maps are both challenging (though not too hard) but just a dream to play, very dancy and fun.

Does anyone have any mapper suggestions for mappers similar to BennyDaBeast's style?

The closest I've found are some of Ruckus's easier tracks.