Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dungeon Ecology posted:

paging hyperlynx...we're gonna need some wololo rockets over here

Oh hello there.

(I always figured the Insidious Ordos were using ordinary rockets there, since the pic for the Deviator looks like this:
)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Here's a good thread:

https://twitter.com/PinkRangerLB/status/1455160320683651074#m

Leon Sumbitches posted:

And choosing that some books should/shouldn't be included in the bible has the same weight as "Jews deserve everything that has happened to them" for the antisemitism spectrum. Truly a big brained quiz for normal people.

Some of the questions aren't even spelled correctly. That's how you know a lot of research and attention to detail went into this!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I usually use Nitter for this, but I thought that might look a bit weird (especially with the silly-named mirror I usually use). And it wouldn't embed, but then again it doesn't really matter if a thread doesn't embed...

Anyway: https://nitter.actionsack.com/PinkRangerLB/status/1455160320683651074

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

They really are just the Worst Dragon.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wonder if the people Bad Dragon ripped off would be a good bet?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If it's yella: that's juice you got there, fella!
If it's brown: you're in cider town!

E: though, the fact that I remember the line does kind of undermine my point...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://twitter.com/NecroDancerGame/status/1455246504575201281

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The whole developed world is headed that way, which is a clue it's not just diet and poor education. It's that too, but it's also compounds from plastic in our water and food damaging our endocrine systems, and needing to work hours that make healthy lifestyles difficult.

Got a link, there? My bullshit-o-meter is going crazy

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bloody hell! Wow! Well, there you go. Thanks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

loving Christ. What a timeline we live in, where politicians angrily defend a virus. Against a childrens' television show, no less.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Outstanding. I didn't think it was possible to do a worse job singing that song than the lady who did the (otherwise very funny) literal music video for it, but here we are.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsgWUq0fdKk)

I want to hear more from that choir. They're not in time, they're not in tune, and none of them sings well enough to solo. Magnificent.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Nov 12, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Apparently doing this is their gimmick. I sent a friend this tweet and she said they're one of her favorite Tik Tok follows

That makes a lot of sense.

You'd have to be incredibly dense to do quite such a bad job by accident.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

Didn't Neil Gaiman claim he had to threaten to kill himself to get a scene changed in the first episode of American Gods?

Right, as you do

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Good to know

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zoux posted:

Oh so just because I believe a secret cabal of pedophile cannibal lizard people secretly control the world I'm a conspiracy theorist

Idgi. Isn't she saying she's criticising Georgia for spreading conspiracy theories, not that she's advocating them? Am I missing some important context?

E: oh, yeah, I totally am - the actual article in question.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-governors-press-secretary-christina-pushaw-walks-back-rothschild-dog-whistle-tweet-after-backlash

But your criticism of her is misplaced. It's not that she's a conspiracy theorist, it's that she assumes everyone responds to anti-Semitic dogwhistles, and that that's a normal way to think about the world

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Nov 18, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Doom two too, too!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mr. Fix It posted:

just say you're a republican and bask in the confused anger

It's like that in Australia, too. The Liberals are actually the conservatives, and people who are republican are usually pretty liberal.

I once saw someone with "no Republicans" on their dating profile and was like "huh, a weirdly aggressive monarchist?" until I saw they're from the USA.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wow, no kidding! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fh133ZO1AE

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's pretty much a tantrum set to electric guitar music, isn't it? I didn't get very far into it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Rejection-Sensitive Dysphoria is a primary aspect of ADHD.
Oh what the hell? Well, that explains a lot! I dealt with that one with lots of therapy and experience and practice, but it would have been nice to know...

quote:

Could we not post actual images of death in this, the funny tweet thread? This was a very important and informative post, but a content warning and spoilers would have been great. I’d still have looked at them, but it was more than a little upsetting to come across in the context of this thread. Recent corpses are, in general.
This too

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's how many days now? Oh no! I always seem to run out of candles as it is. :ohdear:

Fake edit: the one time when the solution is actually "spend more on candles".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Exactly the same thing we do now. Just be really isolated and not really ever interact with what friends we do have.

I mean, that's universal, right?...

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Dec 1, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

grittyreboot posted:

My first smart phone had a slide out physical keyboard and I wish that was still a thing. Touch screen keyboards just don't feel right to me.

Would you say phone keyboards are due for a gritty reboot?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Frank Frank posted:

I found out recently that I’ve been pronouncing “Bene Gesserit” wrong for something like 30 years (not that it comes up in conversation all that much).

Frank Herbert sure as hell didn't pronounce קְפִיצַת הַדֶּרֶךְ properly!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Neal! posted:

No problem as long as you don't mind my long winded answer.

1. The network I worked for (SBS) would be described as the smallest major national free to air channel, so still quite significant but the projects we make weren't Mel Brooks level sort of stuff. It's also partly tax payer funded. If I had to guess I'd reckon it was maybe a 1/4 the scope and size of the BBC is to the UK?

I didn't enter the role by traditional means (if such a thing exists) at all. The network advertised for a vaguely described online Managing Editor of Comedy position. It wasn't until I was deep into the 1st interview that they revealed that it was to run a newly funded initiative they had for launching a comedy dedicated website (like Cracked or College Humour used to be I suppose) but with an angle for it to be a pathway to television for emerging artists. Before this point I had only really directed a few comedy shows at Australian and UK festivals, done some videos online and managed a large part of the program and some venues for an Australian comedy festival. Zero television or even website editing experience. For some insane reason they decided to take a punt with someone younger (I was 30) who knew a lot about what emerging comedy trends in Australia over the more experienced people they had to choose from.

Due to some really good decisions and dumb luck the website I launched ended up extremely successful (for an SBS website anyway). We had a political satire section that was generating a lot of viral articles (it was basically just The Onion but Australian) and I found that I was hitting all the website traffic targets while only using half the considerable budget they had given me . None of my direct managers were interested in comedy so I had an insane level of autonomy in the role and started making cross department deals with the channel programmers, funding initiatives with government arts agencies and funnelling most of my remaining budget into projects that could be split into 12 minute online pieces for the website but also combined together to create 24 minute TV show episodes. Using this model I got all sorts of projects made from pilot episodes, short series and even a feature films. SBS loved that they were getting cheap television made and eventually they starting referring to me as the SBS Head of Comedy. In 4 years I'd gone from being a relative nobody to someone wielding some of the most power in the country in comedy television. It was pretty wild.

Meanwhile the political satire portion of the website was creating a massive political headache for the channel with right wing figures and politicians calling up the Managing Director of the channel regularly to complain and the Murdoch press was at our throats. Eventually SBS decided to ditch the whole thing. They paid out my contract and said thanks for the hard work. I figured I'd get rehired somewhere else pretty quick but instead spent the next 2 years only being able to attach my name to some projects while getting rejected for full time work at networks (Australia's TV industry is really small and even smaller for someone whose experience was exclusively in comedy) and even though my experience got me lots of interviews in the UK, my lack of actual UK experience was obviously an issue for the people that didn't end up deciding to hire me.

Now I'm a video editor for an Australian baroque orchestra, mainly creating trailers and shooting interviews for them. I love the work, it pays really well for the workload, they really appreciate the work I do and most importantly it's very secure. I'm just so much happier (though it took me awhile to realise that not being a high power TV guy anymore didn't mean I was a total failure). The only reminding I get of the 4 years of 'high flying TV days' is when some young producer looks me up on LinkedIn and asks to meet with me for advice (which I'm happy to do), though even that is getting less and less nowadays.

2. Commissioners are human beings, some of them are idiots who fell into the role (I knew one who failed all the way up), some are really smart with years and years in the TV industry and you should really listen to them. It's unfortunately really hard to know which one you have until your well into it. The commissioners at SBS were really good, I think. I met regularly with them and it was one that I was in awe of that got one of Australia's biggest comedy/dramas off that I was thinking of when I wrote that post about getting blacklisted for not following notes. I remember her complaining about one project not following her direction and it becoming an issue. But I also remember that she could be a bit petty on occasion about certain things I didn't rank as all that important. So I can totally understand how being on the other side of that would be a total nightmare.

SBS being a government funded channel meant that some of our notes were to do with our networks charter though and breaching that was unacceptable, so our strongest network orders were probably different sort of notes than 'fire Gene Wilder'.

I can totally have seen myself doing something dumb like saying 'get rid of the farting' scene though if I didn't find it funny. Sometimes you assume that the writers know more than you and when you suggest things and it's okay when they don't follow them, other times it's an essential change you have to happen to get the project through the head of television or something. You try to clarify everything but sometimes you're juggling several projects and miscommunications happen and it can be up to the creator to read the room (a hosed and totally unhelpful thing to say I know, I'm sorry).

One thing you said totally tracks:

When you get pitched something you end up making up your whole personal vision of how you now think it is going to go sometimes the reality is that was completely different from what the creator had in mind. You can get super excited about this show not realising that your reading of the one pager or show bible you've received is not what the creator actually was trying to communicate. Or the project evolves while you're out of the picture, some projects came back different after being in the writers rooms so when I saw it again months later it wasn't what I was expecting.

I learned early on to temper my own personal disappointment when projects didn't turn out exactly the way I dreamed them but my whole job was working with emerging artists on 'low stakes' projects. I can see how if a huge flagship for the network drama doesn't turn out exactly the way the commissioner expects it can turn into a massive issue. You'd hope that they'd be sticking pretty close to it though so surprises were rare.

I'd hope that good commissioners know when to weave in and out of a project so they're not completely out of the loop and using the experience and direct line to the channel to steer the project they way they need to go without sucking the joy out of it for the creators. Doesn't always happen though unfortunately and there's no real advice (besides clearly communicate your ideas upfront) I can think of that can help you avoid having a bad experience with a lovely commissioner, it's just the luck of the draw.

Sorry for the long derail everyone! Can move to DMs if you have anymore questions.
You should do an ask/tell thread! That was very interesting!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

There are limits on the complexity of the behavior you can get from bee brains, that almost never happens outside of a lab setting, and hitting the ground at terminal velocity is no big deal for a creature that small.

Possibly, but what is terminal velocity for a bee? Surely it takes more than just the few metres of that box to fall far enough to reach it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dr Gunter is great.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Read After Burning posted:

Pretty sure there's a few maid cafes in Japan that have you covered!

Here's a few random ones I have saved in my bookmarks:

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1147739362664353793
(My partner laughs at this one a lot, because "That response tweet is big [Read After Burning] energy")

https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1254907214529097731

https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1334264134079107072
(Seeing this in person is on my bucket list.)

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1351634868833280001

https://twitter.com/LVDunceCap/status/1286375084488179713

Those are some strange maid cafes...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Keep in mind that despite looking like they might and charging what they do, at no point will they be brutally owning your vagina/penis.

I mean, that's how a lot of kink works, as it happens.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Whybird posted:

Sure, but generally you don't get a three page essay from your dominatrices explaining how a better sub would have understood the message they were trying to express by pelting ripe satsumas at your crotch and calling you a "citric whore".

Well, not if that's not what you asked for beforehand, no...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Amazing Twitter handle

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Saddest Rhino posted:

not sure how to feel about a japanese billionaire having a username called yousuckmz

That's his name, though.

I didn't realise he was a billionaire, I just assumed he was an astronaut :/

Wait, doesn't everyone do this? Muttering "ping!" when changing toilet rolls, at the very least?

Lobok posted:

Not gonna lie, the second one looks more comfortable than the traditional centaur body. It's always seemed like a strain on the back (the human back) to keep straight posture when the entire torso protrudes up from the horse part.

quote:

So you know how colts can run almost right away after they’re born, but babies can’t even hold their own heads up for a long time? Yeaaaaah….

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Note that the book is not intended as satire.

Not that I think people think the movie is pro "you have to join the army to gain citizenship" because they've read the book, but the book absolutely tries to claim that that would be a good idea. Which is funny given the discussion

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, fair enough, I can't necessarily claim that Heinlein is pro that nonsense. At the very least, it really didn't read like satire to me.

Unless I'm part of the problem, I guess?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, that's for sure one more child who will indeed suffer as a result of that decision.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The whole core of Judaism is basically rules-lawyering God Himself. It owns.

For me this one doesn't even register as a strange thing for rabbis to debate, nor would it be a particularly long debate. The provision that you may transgress to save life is already well established.

My favourite is a case where a rabbi argued that a particular product would become non-kosher if it were given kosher certification, and would be kosher if it did not have that certification! I can't find the article again, unfortunately :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wow! Thank you!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I can't stop laughing at "These Crackers We Made While We Were Running Away "

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Holy poo poo. Read the article in question if you haven't already, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

are you ok man

Spurt Magoo is a known shitposter, sorry

You don't say