Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Beartaco posted:

Starship Troopers is a movie where they prance around in literal SS uniforms, have a fun time fighting an alien menace and then ultimately save the day and become heroes. If it was intended as satire, it's bad satire and I don't blame anyone for not picking up on it, unlike Fight Club.

Paul Verhoeven, who previously made Robocop and Total Recall, definitely wanted us to emulate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKk4Cq56d1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beartaco posted:

Starship Troopers is a movie where they prance around in literal SS uniforms, have a fun time fighting an alien menace and then ultimately save the day and become heroes. If it was intended as satire, it's bad satire and I don't blame anyone for not picking up on it, unlike Fight Club.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Beartaco posted:

If you saw the scene where the recruitment officer says "joining the Rangers is what made me the man I am today" and then immediately swivelled in his chair to reveal that he was missing 3 of his limbs, and you didn't pick up it was satire, then you're dense enough that light bends around you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
"I'm joining the infantry!"

"Good for you, son! Mobile infantry made me the man I am today."

Recruiter shakes hand with an artificial limb, then moves chair back to reveal two amputated limbs. No wheelchair is nearby.

EDIT: drat, I didn't expect to get beaten while posting about the exact same scene, given how many hits Starship Troopers swings for.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

art as vehicle for moral/ethical/political messaging is dead. may never have really been alive.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

IF Starship Troopers was intended as satire?!

Are you quoting something??

explain this right now you troglodyte

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Beartaco posted:

Yeah, satire is a real bad way to try and convey a message to a mass audience.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
satire only works if you're preaching to the choir. those ignorant to why it's satire will obviously miss the point entirely

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I can vouch for the fact that nobody living in America in 1997 was in a position to pick up what Starship Troopers was putting down. I saw it in theaters with my Dad ( I was 14 at the time) and we argued about it the entire way home because we were so confused by what we saw.

"They have spaceship technology! Why were they just running in there to fight space bugs with rifles and nothing else?"

"Yeah! Where were the tanks? The spaceships? The giant robots? Why were they sending their soldiers into a meat grinder like that?"

"And why was Doogie Howser dressed like a Nazi?"

Anyway, America invaded Afghanistan four years later...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A whole lot of Americans watched Back to the Future and decided they needed Biff Tannen for president.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
In the DVD commentary, Verhoeven starts explaining the movie's thesis that "war turns us all into fascists", but the gravity of his explanation is undercut when the movie switches to the schoolroom dissection scene and he interrupts himself to yell "oooh a BIG GROSS BUG!!!"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I saw ST in 8th grade and I got the message. You're just a dummy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
to be fair we were all distracted by the titties in the co-ed shower

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Note that the book is not intended as satire.

Not that I think people think the movie is pro "you have to join the army to gain citizenship" because they've read the book, but the book absolutely tries to claim that that would be a good idea. Which is funny given the discussion

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hyperlynx posted:

Note that the book is not intended as satire.

Not that I think people think the movie is pro "you have to join the army to gain citizenship" because they've read the book, but the book absolutely tries to claim that that would be a good idea. Which is funny given the discussion

The main character in the book claims that. The characters in the author's other books claim that going back in time to gently caress your mom is cool and good, or that abandoning the concepts of private property and monogamy gives you telekinetic powers and this is in line with God's will. Heinlein was a weird dude.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, fair enough, I can't necessarily claim that Heinlein is pro that nonsense. At the very least, it really didn't read like satire to me.

Unless I'm part of the problem, I guess?

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Beartaco posted:

What the gently caress

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The main character in the book claims that. The characters in the author's other books claim that going back in time to gently caress your mom is cool and good, or that abandoning the concepts of private property and monogamy gives you telekinetic powers and this is in line with God's will. Heinlein was a weird dude.
Literal brain-tumour IIRC.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, fair enough, I can't necessarily claim that Heinlein is pro that nonsense. At the very least, it really didn't read like satire to me.

Unless I'm part of the problem, I guess?

Heinlein is VERY good at having a main character come across as a complete author avatar turning his face to the camera and saying THIS IS WHAT I THINK, THIS IS THE MESSAGE OF THE BOOK, and then in subsequent books having an equally blatant 'avatar' think completely incompatible things.

In fairness, at least once this was because his actual views changed in between the two books, but everything he writes comes off like that.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
a lot of the time people find it difficult to distinguish between "author actually thinks this" and "author is very good at following through on characterization"

i learned more slurs from Stephen King than i learned from any other source, but i don't think King is a horrible racist. he's just written horrible racists and he's not afraid to get fully into his characters' heads and follow things to their logical conclusion.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Chloe Jessica posted:

a lot of the time people find it difficult to distinguish between "author actually thinks this" and "author is very good at following through on characterization"

People join the army because of Metal Gear Solid and Apocalypse Now.
Satire was never alive.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Heinlein was a libertarian so he probably was a pervert.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Chloe Jessica posted:

i learned more slurs from Stephen King than i learned from any other source, but i don't think King is a horrible racist. he's just written horrible racists and he's not afraid to get fully into his characters' heads and follow things to their logical conclusion.

he's got a lot of experience, being from Maine

lotta racists up there

Now, I'm from the south around the Mason-Dixon line, and there's a lotta racists down here, too

Luckily, the MIDDLE of the east coast is

uh

North Carolina, around there? Which... aw, poo poo

it's racism all the way

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

People joined the marines because of Full Metal Jacket. Has anyone joined the military service because of Come and See?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
just because some posters in here were too dumb to get satire doesn't mean everything's gotta be either transformers or blood diamond

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

someone, somewhere on the planet, doesn't understand the argument that "satire is complex and shouldn't ever be used because someone, somewhere on the planet might not understand it" so please don't make that argument anymore

thank you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samovar posted:

People joined the marines because of Full Metal Jacket. Has anyone joined the military service because of Come and See?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Post poste posted:

People join the army because of Metal Gear Solid and Apocalypse Now.
Satire was never alive.

this isn't a point you're making. it's like saying comedy isn't alive because we aren't all dead from laughter, or documentary isn't alive because we aren't all transcendent galaxy brain beings. satire isn't political action and never was and any expectation that it would be is misplaced. it's culture, art, fun.

e: and people who get fascist messages from satires of fascism were already that way before they watched the satire. it doesn't work in reverse either

Deep Glove Bruno has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

boofhead posted:

someone, somewhere on the planet, doesn't understand the argument that "satire is complex and shouldn't ever be used because someone, somewhere on the planet might not understand it" so please don't make that argument anymore

thank you

it's fine to make satire, but it's only effective at letting the author vent and getting their allies to nod knowingly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My god where am I gonna have to go to see some tweets? Twitter?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beartaco posted:

Beartaco posted:

have a fun time fighting an alien menace

Beartaco posted:

have a fun time

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Softface posted:

Paul Verhoeven, who previously made Robocop and Total Recall, definitely wanted us to emulate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKk4Cq56d1Y
And the comments are full of people calling the bowtie wearing pundit an sjw because he uses the word "offensive" :negative:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, that's for sure one more child who will indeed suffer as a result of that decision.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This review is satire :smugdog:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Splicer posted:

And the comments are full of people calling the bowtie wearing pundit an sjw because he uses the word "offensive" :negative:

God help me I looked at the comments.

"One of the greatest unintentionally hilarious scenes ever made"

I... unintentionally? loving UNINTENTIONALLY?????

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Beartaco posted:

Lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/eddyburback/status/1470463270981095430

https://twitter.com/TheWittyGirl/status/1470571177600901121

https://twitter.com/cat_elg/status/1470821399392518146

https://twitter.com/qntm/status/1470916984628031489

https://twitter.com/lolennui/status/1470997548168974336

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

A few months ago a kid came in for his athletics physical and had already filled out the healthcare provider field for height as 6’. I told him he would have to print a new one so I could write his correct height on there (5’ 9.5”). I also regularly ask people their height but then measure them anyway and it seems like the men are lying more than 50% of the time. My daughter also once had a boyfriend who said he was 6’3” and I could see straight over the top of his head.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Beartaco posted:

If someone thinks it's propaganda they must think it shows that society in a positive light and that's really all you need to know about that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flint_Paper posted:

God help me I looked at the comments.

"One of the greatest unintentionally hilarious scenes ever made"

I... unintentionally? loving UNINTENTIONALLY?????
I just errored out on that one and moved on. Absolutely basilisked me.