Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

Thread title should've been "Dicks Out for Daytona" imo

Don't we have a SAS mod in here who can take care of this for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nice

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Well here it comes, we all knew it was gonna happen, BoP changes after the roar:

https://racer.com/2019/01/16/imsa-releases-rolex-bop-changes/

Wait... no changes?? That track record is falling yall.

Bring it on. :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

IMSA Radio remains an option always for live events, and if you're outside of the US, IMSA's live stream of the race uses the Radio commentary team.

Which means Radio Le Mans, which should be a good thing.

Interested in what NBC is throwing at the 24, though, and it should at least be a drat sight better than FOX has been.

NBC is going to want to show NASCAR and IMSA that they won't gently caress up the race coverage like FOX. I fully expect them to gently caress the commentary up later in the year but for the first race of their new contract for sports coverage, they're going to be interested in not ruining it right out the gate.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 18, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeranger posted:

Apologies if it's been posted already but what time does the 24hr race start? Need to figure out the time difference for Australia

E;FB

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Found the onboard for the Mazda breaking the track record at Daytona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2myqHfH7Z4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

imsa.tv just loads forever on the main stream, which i guess means it's not available in canada?

I've been forced to watch this entirely unrelated youtube video

If SAS isn't paywalled I would remove that video from the thread, because that stream is the only way I can watch at work. Don't get me hosed over mate.

Also the mazdas running in formation in 3rd and 4th is pretty cool.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 26, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeranger posted:

Checking in.

Currently watching via nbcsn, is there any channels showing parts of the race when nbcsn aren't? Doesn't matter if it's elsewhere, or will I just have to stream via imsa.tv?

Imsa.tv will broadcast the entire race, but you will be geoblocked if you're in the US or Canada. If you have a VPN you can just get the IMSA.tv stream anyways, and its superior to any other streaming experience as it has the Radio LeMans commentary team. NBC Sports has good commentators, but there's too many commercials imo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FERRARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E: disregard it was a GTD porsche puking its guts out on a money shift.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I just can't get enough of scrub brands like Acura and Ford trying to convince me that a 4100 lb crossover with a CoG up at the windows is just like a sports car!

Cadillac does the same thing except they don't even have sports cars to sell.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Pop goes the Mazda.

Katherine Legge used Harry Tincknell as a brake for the turn

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jonathan Bomarito loving forgot to knock on wood. 55 is loving dead twice in a lap. I think they're going to go sailing to the back of the field.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

77 ate a turbo, and it will not be coming back out. It probably ingested vanes on the intake side into the cylinders if they're not even going to attempt to repair it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The evaluation results will be "PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LMAO rlm speculation on if Nando would do the 12 hours of Sebring and the 1000 miles of Sebring back to back. Would he do it if WTR asked? Yeah probably, would Toyota allow it? Probably not.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Analysis: For Mazda's IMSA program, it's 51 and, unfortunately, counting.

quote:

This might be it: Mazda’s best chance for a win since, well, forever in the calendar scope of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Obviously, it didn’t happen. In the dead of night, minutes apart, both the Mazdas burst into flames, literally and figuratively -- the pole-sitting No. 77 while on track, the No. 55, which qualified fourth, as it sat in the garage, under repair. The 77 was retired, jammed against the wall of the No. 1 garage, prime real estate earned by winning the pole.

The No. 55 returned to the track. Then, all by itself, it spun into the grass, squatting oddly from some new mechanical failure. It was towed to the garage, and 28 people, employees of Mazda; of chassis-builder Multimatic, the company that built the Ford GT; and of Joest, the legendary, Audi-centric German company hired by Mazda in 2017 to fix the program, attacked the car from the front, sides, back and underneath. There were electrical problems. There were powertrain problems. A brand-new engine was uncrated, and employees began cannibalizing it for parts.

Behind the car, John Doonan, head of the Mazda Motorsports programs in the U.S. -- and perhaps the most loved and respected constant presence in the paddock -- stood there with a look on his face you’d expect to see when a man is watching his house burn.

This couldn’t be happening -- again -- but it was. Shortly before 6 a.m., about an hour after the rain started, Mazda gave up and literally closed the door on the two garages. Five years and a day after that first loss, Mazda had lost again.

I honestly feel sorry for John Doonan, because he has had to watch the team come up agonizingly short every time for the last 5 years. :smithicide:

If they were using even a V6 engine they would have a better shot. Cranking 40 psi of boost through a 2 liter 4 banger does not bode well for it surviving in an endurance environment.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 30, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

oh man, this passage

is such a picture but so, so, so heartbreaking.

Yeah he's a nice dude too, I've shaken his hand and chatted at fan events during the petit le mans.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also the worst thing about the Mazda prototype program flailing so hard unsuccessfully is that Mazda might wind up losing their taste for supporting grassroots racing efforts, or that John Doonan might just give up and get replaced by someone else who doesn't give a poo poo about racing beyond balancing an accounting sheet, which would lead to a significant paring back of their current motorsports involvement.

Like, if you're involved in a Mazda Motorsports sanctioned series, you can get really good deals on OEM performance parts, and replacement equipment for your car that you are racing, as well as contingency awards (cash awards in GT classes, or credit towards performance parts if you're driving a Miata) for finishing in the top 5 spots in an endurance race.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 30, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Mazda already abandoned the Road to Indy so...

Yeah Mazda pulling back from Road to Indy sucks really hard, a ton of the rookies who qualified for for the 2018 Indy 500 came up through the Mazda program. Who knows what's going to happen to that program in the future. Apparently Mazda is still paying for USF2000 and Pro Mazda for 2019, but they've already taken their name off everything.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

GTLM wouldn’t be any cheaper. Besides Corvette (which is adding a car for the WEC Sebring 1000), all of the GTLM teams are running development both for IMSA and the WEC, and possibly supplying cars for the Am class in ELMS. It’s a different animal than DPi.

As well, even if they had a car for GT3, the SRO is on the record as not wanting any further “bespoke” GT3 cars. There’s a minimum build number (I think 25?) and requirement that the OEMs build them for customers and support them around the world. They’d be eligible for a lot of different series, but again, that’s different and a higher level of investment than doing DPi.

I hope Mazda succeeds this year. They need to.

Yeah the difference between what Mazda Motorsports is doing and what a make like Audi does for their GT3 customers is night and day. Audi is required to provide logistical support and all sorts of poo poo (car transport if necessary, technical experts on site at races, parts trucks ready to go) for their GT3 customers all over the world, whereas Mazda Motorsports gives you a deal via their performance parts portal.

Audi is a lot bigger and can afford that kind of support, I don't think Mazda could though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dudes probably going to get banned for running on to a hot track, even if he did likely save Tim Pappas' life.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OhsH posted:

Do you not remember the huge crash from last year because the flagman wasnt at his post at the top of the goddamn mountain? Bathurst is incredibly incompetent for the inherent danger.

Oh yeah where there was a small crash but the marshal was 100 meters from his post loving off with his dick in his hand and missed the flags, and was unable to signal a yellow flag to cars charging up the hill and then there was a full on holy gently caress smashout? yeah thats bathurst.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

Yeah if you got the 3 you have to get the last one.

And a pile of matchsticks to represent the ByKolles.

burnt matchsticks from a strip joint known to run a sex trafficking ring

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

fair enough on miller, that place sucks rear end, but you gotta have a special kind of brain damage to not want to go to lime rock park

Rich people I guess?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Yeah, those Nissans in particular weren't for Le Mans or international competition, but at some point in the 1980s they went from Group 5 rules to the All-Japan Sports Prototype series using Group C rules, which is where fleets of customer Porsche 956s raced against what Toyota, Nissan and Mazda were also taking to Le Mans.

But holy poo poo let's talk about those painted support vans on dope-rear end little wheels in the background. Surely they've long ago been sent to a crusher but holy poo poo that's peak 1984 Japan right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_SVUt9hbk

Racing drivers will race anything if it has 4 wheels and an engine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I get what you're saying and trying not to get offended at you excluding motorcycle racers and, frankly, I haven't actually read anything prior to your post. I just wanna post sidecar racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQL3lkxcTJA

Sidecars is absolute insanity, and also absolutely awesome

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

It sure is. You know what would even be better?

Sidecar racing.... on the Isle of Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp28Dev-pOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ByBDptdK0

Way better video.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Will Super Sebring be back next year?

Schedulewise yes. They've already confirmed the 2019-2020 schedule and Super Sebring is slated for "March", which means they will align with whatever IMSA puts out for the 12h.

As far as what is going to be racing? Who the gently caress knows, maybe they will do 8 hours of lawnmower racing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That rain escalated quickly. Was at T3, saw the Toyota go onto full wet, was like :wtc:, then the heavens opened

Welcome to Florida

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeranger posted:

When does the imsa race start? Is that tomorrow or soon?

Tomorrow before noon

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can't believe they're still running the 77 and haven't closed the garage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Yeah, Nissan got so far out of the game they've apparently nuked the NISMO.tv YouTube channel from orbit.

But that's been running for four or five years. Surely -- SURELY -- Nissan would've told the GTA how popular this was getting? That it was actually getting some traction overseas? That it meant people weren't just running to the pirate site to download an upload of the J Sports broadcast...

This is the most head-in-the-sand old Japanese man thing I've seen in a while. I shouldn't be so shocked, but here we are.

Yeah pretty much, the guys running GTA have no loving clue how popular SuperGT is outside Japan, and are going to wind up killing interest in the series outside of Japan because of this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

did mazda go boom boom?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Super Formula starts this weekend!

Anime Formula is almost like a Japanese version of IndyCar if they didn't bother with the ovals at all -- Super Formula uses a spec chassis, everybody has Advan tires, and the teams are split between Toyota and Honda power plants (which they share with the Super GT GT500 class cars, they're small 4 cylinders boosted to the high heavens). The big difference to IndyCar, and what makes them almost a baby Formula 1, is the sheer downforce these things produce.

Anywhere here's the pole lap from Saturday of the first round, at Suzuka tomorrow. Pole set by a rookie no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KZ5Xaurf0

They're a good bit faster than Formula 3. I think Formula 3's fastest lap is 1:50:999, so these things are way faster.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gret posted:

Bad news: motorsports.tv locked up the rights to Super GT
Good news: they're providing free live coverage!?

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1123680861734494208

I am surprisingly OK with this. I'm just used to "WE MUST HAVE EXCLUSIVITY" being code for "gently caress you if you're not our market"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The track loved it they made a shitload of money on it, but I'm not sure if all the fans loved it because the people who bought double header passes looked like loving zombies shuffling out after all that racing, I think it might have overloaded some people.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's spring at Mid-Ohio, the air smells like wet leaves and race gas and Mazda is on pole, again, in order to break my heart tomorrow when the Acuras walk away with it

As it always has been, so it shall be

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

Race cars peaked at the 911 GT1 and Merc CLK-GTR imo

Race car altitude peaked with the Merc CLR though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shoulda asked Dumbreck if he had a license for that plane he was flying when he landed instead of breathalyzing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/thebpillar/status/1125194610098221056?s=20

Oliver Jarvis the fastest guy in the field that weekend quite obviously, I wonder if Mazda will be able to keep him next year or someone like penske will swoop in with a shitpile of money and the promise of a working car.

The thing that really stands out is JPMs rock solid consistency, lap to lap to lap, sure he was a good bit slower than his top 3 laps, but his variation was only 0.67% outside his fastest laps, even with traffic and battling with other drivers.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 6, 2019