Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ByKolles appear to have decided that what their problem really is, is their Nissan engines. Because you know, Nissan don't have a track record of LMP success or anything.

Strangely Nissan haven't taken too kindly to this, especially as Kolles appears to have neglected to pay them.

Long story short, don't expect to see them at Sebring and when they rock up at the next round expect to see a different engine in the back of a car going exactly the same speed as it did when it had a Nissan. Or when it had an AER. Or when it (briefly) had an Audi V8 in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And to be fair it's not like top speed was that car's problem.

Just literally everything else.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I saw 1/64s of each plus a tow vehicle as part of a bigger collection, hopefully still available and what you’d be looking for.

In January I went to Tokyo Auto Salon and picked up a few different ones, a group of three of the recent 1/64 LMP1s (including that Nissan GT-R LM in throwback livery) and also the Le Mans-winning McLaren F1. I was pointing out the different die cast shops there to my wife and said “I like to look around but will only buy something I really want,” and walk immediately up to find it :haw:

And we don't have pics why? :)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So they're switching from Nissan to an engine that spent much of its life badged as a Nissan?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah if you got the 3 you have to get the last one.

And a pile of matchsticks to represent the ByKolles.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Yeah, those Nissans in particular weren't for Le Mans or international competition, but at some point in the 1980s they went from Group 5 rules to the All-Japan Sports Prototype series using Group C rules, which is where fleets of customer Porsche 956s raced against what Toyota, Nissan and Mazda were also taking to Le Mans.

But holy poo poo let's talk about those painted support vans on dope-rear end little wheels in the background. Surely they've long ago been sent to a crusher but holy poo poo that's peak 1984 Japan right there.

They still get used a bit in the UK. I work for a multinational and they've just got one of these zipping round campus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

JingleBells posted:

After some BTCC chat on Discord I looked at some of the cars & drivers we have this year, there are a few interesting things I spotted. Reigning champion Colin Turkington will be in a proper BMW this year:

Tom Ingram will be racing a Toyota Corolla:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjNLNISWrvQ

There are two rookie drivers to look out for in the Jack Sears trophy (eligible for drivers who have finished on the a podium in BTCC), first is Lewis Hamilton's younger brother Nicolas with his specially modified Ford Focus to help him race with his Cerebal Palsy while more excitingly second we have former British Formula Ford champion Mark Blundell.

And neither of them are getting anywhere near the podium. It's more likely neither will score a point.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

Blundell put it in the gravel in qualifying so will start from the back. The first race might be delayed due to thick fog.

And somehow already ruined my prediction he wouldn't score.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's only a couple of seasons since we had Donnely to be fair.

And not so far before that for Herbert.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Better hope none of the female drivers take off their helmet when out of the car then.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

LMP1H but at maaaaaaaybe like half the budget or less?

How do you achieve that though?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's all fair.

I think we've reached the point where unrestricted development motor racing is essentially going to be dead, F1 is just about viable but that's it.

And if, as it looks they're going to BoP even the hypercars out the wazoo and we're essentially accepting prototype racing in the traditional sense is dead then maybe super DPi is an option. Because at least it's a lovely BoPed top class that actually functions.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

It'll be "LMP-Homologated" or something. Whatever the ACO does it'll find the most ridiculous technicality to avoid the image of cribbing from IMSA.
I am not and never will be a fan of BoP for a class that is the top of the pile at Le Mans.

Right with you, I just fear it's a battle we're going to lose.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mazda got Mazdaed again at Belle Isle.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Update : On the restart for the caution after the first Mazda got Mazdaed, the remaining Mazda Mazdaed itself.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's based on the LMP2 literally no-one runs anywhere.

Then again, I think at this point it's pretty much only United and people on a serious budget running anything but the Oreca.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah but the level of badness of the Multimatic/Riley was leagues ahead of the Dallara, which was merely "Not quite as good as the Oreca".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Quinntan posted:

Ultimately the riders know full well the risks of the TT and road racing in general. Beyond that, shutting down the TT wouldn’t do the Isle of Man any favours, it brings in quite a lot of money to a part of the UK that otherwise doesn’t really have much else going for it in terms of business.

Yeah. They're welcome to it.

But I kinda decided over the last year or two I just don't want to watch it anymore.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The WEC purchase server has poo poo the bed so I can't even give them money.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tracey Krohn has been told he can't race, astonishingly because of the accident rather than his general garbagemanship.

So the car has been withdrawn because if he can't drive it, he won't pay for it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think he's talking about the fact they're restricting the top class to manufacturer only and then BoPing it to gently caress so everyone wins.

And I'm a little lost what this gives us over just making LeMans GTE only and having 62 of those fuckers running around, especially if they're going to restrict the LMP2s to be barely quicker than GTE anyway.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, several IMSA full timers are in this race, not least the entire Corvette program.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Something like that. I forget the specific reason they got dinged but it might actually be for that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah that's what I remembered it being but I wondered if it contravened the "Start under their own power" rules.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They will only have checked the top 4 most likely, plus some randoms.

Back in the day in BTCC I remember one driver parking up on the last lap because he knew he'd fail the ride height check (many were for some reason) but they only checked the top 10.

He got promoted into the top 10 and was never checked, which is why series now do random checks too.

It's a drat shame for Keating because this is 100% Ford's gently caress up.

Well that and the ACO's policy of changing the BoP every 12 seconds.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And one of the rules they failed was fuel flow during refuelling during the race.

You can't check for that pre-race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Plus the C7.R has been running in IMSA since 2014, it's beyond time for an update. Plus the new model being mid-engined should help them as well.

The interesting hints from those reporting on it (like Pruett) are that there may be customer cars much sooner, which may mean somebody running the C8R in the WEC regularly? Would be good even if it's a GTE-Am team.

Although if it is a GTE Am team they won't be able to enter until the 2021/22 Season.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

My kingdom for a commentator that has a volume that isn't incoherent shouting.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Big Huski Boi posted:

Chadwick got $500k from winning the series and recently said that's only half of what she needs in order to get an F3 ride with a top team, so yeah, it's not quite achieved its goals yet. Makes you wonder what being a Williams academy driver gets you, though.

This is the stupid thing. W series pays significant prize money right down to last.

If they just paid the top 5 and gave the savings to their champion, Jamie would have an FIA F3 budget.

Between that and them inviting the top 12 back, do they want to get a woman to F1? Or do they just want to swan around saying they own a racing series?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It does finally prove the W Series being about getting women to F1 is a lie of course.

Katherine is great but she's 39. She's reached where she's going to reach. Paying her a salary (effectively) to drive in the W Series instead of, for instance, giving their champion a useful prize to progress makes literally no sense if they're telling the truth.

They're not of course, they want to swan about like they own a racing series. It might as well be the "B Series" for black drivers for all they care.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I was always against DPi at LeMans because I'd rather the top class had 3 cars than BoP in a prototype race.

But since the ACO are somehow inventing their own multilayered terrible version of BoP to gently caress up the top class anyway then screw it, let's at least have the BoPed cars that loving work.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Why the gently caress is someone planning to run a Riley?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That preview rather glosses over that NIO are running year old Geox Dragon engines and so are completely hosed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So basically they want everyone to gently caress up the regulations just for them and then they're still only run 4 races a year?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Weirdly it seems all the new entrants are going to LMP2 for some reason. Are there a job lot of 2nd hand Orecas suddenly or something?

Oh and those one idiots running a Riley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

Code 60 for incredibly heavy rain and lightning. Did not expect that in Dubai.

People don't but it happens. And when it does it REALLY loving rains.