Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

What is it?

Domina is a PC indie strategy game that came out back in 2017. The basic gameplay loop is that you manage a ludus of Roman gladiators, train them up, and have them fight against other gladiators, with the end goal being to challenge and take down a whole bunch of boss-fight gladiator champions all across Rome.

The game uses a really interesting system for fights that puts it solidly above all the other gladiator games on PC, where you can either watch AI gladiators duke it out (with their behavior influenced by their overall score and three traits, "aggro," "turtle" and "evasive") or, with the help of the Mind Control upgrade, take control of one and fight the other person yourself (or surrender if you know you're about to get wrecked).

Why should I buy this?

I dunno, do you like gladiators? Do you like gore? Do you like building up bad motherfuckers, only to have them get downed by a lucky hit from the AI, :xcom: style? Do you like synthwave music?

Because this game has all of that. It's also addictive as gently caress, surprisingly pretty for an indie pixel art game (a little voxel use goes a long way), and :10bux:. It's basically the closest anyone's come, including the actual officially licensed 360 game, to making a faithful game adaptation of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and that show loving owns.

Why are you making a thread for a game that came out nearly two years ago?

Because I saw some discussion of it in the Steam thread, found out I apparently bought it a year ago, and loaded it up only to find out that it totally loving rules. Then the Steam thread moved on from talking about it, and I think this game needs a little more attention and love, because holy poo poo it's good.

TIPS AND TRICKS FOR BEGINNERS

- PLAY ON THE DEFAULT "MILD" DIFFICULTY, RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO TURN IT UP. The game seems to be balanced around that difficulty, with higher ones basically piling on a bunch of gently caress-yous to make it more tedious.

- Do not rely solely on one gladiator. If you have literally one guy who's good and he gets ganked, you're basically hosed, time to restart.

- Your initial Doctore upgrade order should go Humility -> Nimble Stance -> Aimed Attack -> Aimed Defense -> Evasive Roll. From there, you can get whatever, but getting the three basic abilities out of the way and turning off the need for stamina in order to run are crucial for the survivability of your gladiators (Evasive Roll in particular makes gladiators with high Evasive stats shine).

- Mind Control being so early in the tree is a trap- you won't need it for 2 out of your 3 initial guys if the RNG is even remotely nice to you (one is guaranteed to have good AI stats and another is guaranteed to be at least decentish).

- For workers, start with a Medicus, Faber, and Architect; once you get all the Architect buildings made up, swap him for whoever sounds the most useful situationally, or a Faber Emeritus if you have the cash.

- You'll eventually get inundated with gladiators and slaves with lovely stats, because the game for whatever reason just cannot stop dumping them on you as fight rewards if you do well. Selling them may seem tempting, but that's not generally the best idea unless they're worth a lot of coins (which is usually a sign that they don't suck); garbage gladiators can still make themselves useful as cannon fodder when the game throws you a fight you can't win, or as human training dummies for your good gladiators in exhibition matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Just wanna chime in, even if this thread goes nowhere:

This is a good game, well worth the asking price.

It scratches my training game itch, but it can be very frustrating at higher difficulties, and a little opaque on what does what.

That aside, I've lost more money in the sofa than this game costs, and I regret nothing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game okay, tells you basically nothing and that's annoying

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My main complaint with this game is that there is no "quick buy" option for upgrading multiple armor pieces at a time. Or if there is I haven't found it yet.

It gets tedious upgrading knee pads for each drat leg by the time you are on like your 20th gladiator.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This is a good game, I agree. I still play it occasionally. I'm gonna install it again, thanks OP

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It's a mobile game with pretentions. There's no strategy, just grind grind grind grind. Once you've figured out how to keep your two patrons sweet that's it, you've won.

Absolutely stonking soundtrack, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its got spectacle and I like it for it.

I've just ran into some astounding bugs though. One fight was my 4 guys vs 1 of theirs, my guys started chained (this wasn't in the screen before), the other guy never spawned and 3 of them died upon them breaking their chains.

I laughed and went "poo poo, aight whatever lets see what else this has for me". The magistrate died, then offered me a match, except nobody spawned. Then the game crashed + deleted my save.

Did they gently caress something with the recent build? This is a fresh install!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I've been looking for a not-so-resource intensive game to play on my lovely HP laptop, and I think this game looks pretty cool. Probably wouldn't have heard about it without this thread, so thanks for making it!

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I ran into a weird situation where I had one guy that was Too Powerful.

He could kill anything in a single strike. Entire teams fell before him in less than a second. I'm not being hyperbolic.

Eventually, nothing I could offer him made him happy. He just wanted freedom. But if I let him go free, I'd be ruined. None of my other men could fight as well as him, no one could even come close. I had been preparing for this moment, but progress was slow. Whatever stroke of luck I had hit upon was not happening again.

As time passed, he continued to urge me to let him see the light of day, and I continued to deny him. His peers fought, and as they got stronger, I begrudgingly pushed them out into the arena, hoping they could do [i[something[/i].

Nobody could even stand a chance against the foes laid before me. I was totally hosed.

Eventually, my champion escaped over night. My remaining men, as strong as they had become, were unable to compete against the juggernauts my champion had put us up against.

Success was my undoing.

so yeah this game is cool i like when everyone just explodes into limbs on impact because lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

dogstile posted:

Its got spectacle and I like it for it.

I've just ran into some astounding bugs though. One fight was my 4 guys vs 1 of theirs, my guys started chained (this wasn't in the screen before), the other guy never spawned and 3 of them died upon them breaking their chains.

I laughed and went "poo poo, aight whatever lets see what else this has for me". The magistrate died, then offered me a match, except nobody spawned. Then the game crashed + deleted my save.

Did they gently caress something with the recent build? This is a fresh install!

In stupid cases like that I just save scum. Just exit out of the game before the result screen comes up and the game will start you back at the battle screen when you reload.