Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

crispix posted:

Meadow and Finn's argument over the suitcase :cripes:

One of the most realistic scenes ever put on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys should check out minime's video on the sopranos game. He goes through the whole thing and it's fascinating to see where they actually sort of tried.

https://youtu.be/p0BXKDc1st0

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paulie was never a great earner, he was too shortsighted and old school to hit the real cash. And we do see him with a mistress. I assume he's just bad at staying within his more modest gangster means and over spends at the track and such

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you seen the Americans or deadwood. Those are next in my list of hour long prestige tv dramas

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

True Romance and The Man Who Wasn't There stand out for me

They say his scene in true romance is how he got the role in Sopranos and I can see it. It legitimately looked like he was gonna kill patricia arquettes character. It's amazing that he could stand out in a movie that has a cast ad stacked as that movie, but by God did gandolfini do it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The whole movie wreaks of vanity. I clawed my way through The Irishman and then would constantly have to defend my position that it might have been a decent mob movie if they had used different actors. It was more absurd than when they brought back Connery to play a 53 year old James Bond.

Also Frank Sheeran was full of poo poo.
Diamonds and Never say Never Connery were still a hell of a lot better than A View to a Kill Moore. Dude looked like a he'd get winded on a short stroll to the cornermart, and then they pair him with a girl young enough to be his Daughter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well he did for like 2 min in Suicide Kings
Man the turnover rate on kings of suicide must be unreal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anything is possible with enough high impact brain trauma

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The test dream is the best episode of the show. Or it would be if the coma episodes didn't exist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Tony B stuff works on a metaphorical level. Everyone has so far forgotten him that he isn't mentioned, then he hits parole and suddenly It's supposed to be just like back in the day. Blundetto clearly didn't feel that way. I don't know if it works in a showise way, but I personally have less a problem with it than many

codo27 posted:

What about chickentown? And I believe it was discussed here whether the strippers were dancing to Living on a Thin Line (unlikely) or it was just a backing track. Two of the best uses imo
Chicekntown sucks so hard as a song, and yet works so well in that scene. I don't know how Chase did it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The word for it is Diagetic if you're lookin' for more examples

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anna Gunn was pretty wooden when she got introduced in Deadwood. Luckily she got better after the horse incident

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was wondering about that, yeah. I don't really know anything about the characters in BE apart from the fact that many (all? I don't even know that) of them existed IRL, so I don't know how faithfully the writers felt like they had to stick to their actual histories, that would have been a constraining factor compared to the Sopranos where they could just pretty much make up whatever they want. But I also just get the general vibe that they took some creative liberties with the history, so maybe that's not as much of a factor as I'd think.

I mean the real Enoch Johnson lived until old age. Right about the end of Season 2 things go right off the rails. But they did change the names to make it clear it wasn't a documentary series.

The most damning criticism of Boardwalk I can give is that I never watched the final Episode, I've seen every single other episode, but I got called in to work at the Finale. I had it sitting on my DVR for years, and I realized I just didn't give a poo poo.

It's not a bad show, but trying to weave so many plots in so many places made it sometimes nearly incomprehensible. And as much as I love the actors in the show, there ain't any Gandolfini, Falco level actors in the show.

Edit: The book it's based on is actually a great read, and while I'm at it Nixonland is required reading for Mad Men

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The movie is really good, your in for a treat

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ain't that just the old ice t meme

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's too bad HBO didn't see what a good job bobby Carnavale did and give him his own Hugh budget prestige drama

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Peaky Blinders does the whole WWI veteran gangster with PTSD/Taking over a city thing so much better than Boardwalk Empire. Speaking of shows Jerusalem should cover.

It's pretty schlocky but better than boardwalk by a fair margin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

codo27 posted:

Reminds me of what I think was my final exam in high school english. The question was like "what can we learn about human nature based on the actions of[I'm gonna say this was lord of the flies, so those characters]" and in no uncertain terms I said "we cant derive anything about human nature from the actions of fictitious characters".

Did your teacher point out that those fictional characters were created by a non fictional author whose mindset and world view you could have analyzed by the way they developed those characters in the novel?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the movie will probably be alright. It won't be sopranos level, but trying to read the quality of a movie from the trailer is a fools game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look at it this way, even if the movie is trash. Still gives you an excuse to rewatch the Sopranos

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tony was definitely smart. Not on an intellectual level. But the man managed to keep his organization running an profitable even when new York, the fbi, and some of his own captains were trying to off him.

And drat near every if not every mistake he makes in the show is purely the result of his hosed emotional state not a lack of intelligence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He didn't burn down the stable because it's way funnier to me if he died from the one thing he didn't do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys are vastly underestimating the amount of intelligence and canny required to run a multimillion dollar illegal enterprise for any length of time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Magic gate was the encryption Sony used on their proprietary memory sticks. I'm guessing. He meant that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

The most amazing thing about Talking Sopranos is that Steve Schirripa is even more of a goombah type character than Bobby Bacala is. Bobby is this sweet soft spoken guy and Steve is like....Paulie adjacent in affect.

Really? Always pegged him as more of a Mario

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He did a hell of a lot better than a lot of real life Mob bosses

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you're watching a movie on iPhone you're a certified dummy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

codo27 posted:

There really isn't any ambiguity anymore though. Chase himself has let it slip and referred to it as the "death scene"

And Ray Bradbury says Fahrenheit 451 is about the evils of television.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOJLDHnuHkg

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A successor work can never ruin a previous one. Just ignore it if it bothers you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good if you're a Soprano's fan, I'm betting totally incoherent if you aren't. I'll echo what others are saying, the story would've worked a lot better as a limited series. The whole thing feels like three films, One for Dickie, Tony, and Harold all mashed together with some rather cheap Sopranos callbacks. The Acting by Micheal was totally spot on, I bought him as Tony, Stoll as Junior was also great, and the Actress who played Livia. The people Playing Sil and Paulie were much weaker, you can tell who they are at a glance, but they leaned into their Ticks far too hard.

Story Wise I thought casting Liotta as two people was stupid as gently caress on first glance. On reflection though it works pretty well, Dickie desperately trying to justify and make up for his continued awful actions, and his Uncle clearly knowing drat well everything hes done and trying to get him to realize what he's done and what he's doing to his nephew, I think it works.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

he was fighting Jackie I believe.

I don't think we're supposed to know who the button man was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

one of the many odd turns this movie took was to have frank lucas
Sopranos already referenced guys like Gotti so it's not outta left field

banned from Starbucks posted:

So anyway yeah
This movie was a mess. Sil is an ageless vampire caricature. Johnny boy is pretty nonexistent. Every other character is just kinda...there. Vera Farmiga is on ok Livia who half the time seems to be doing more of a Carmella impression, but ok Tony getting with someone like his mother isn't new. Not sure what Chase intended with the Newark riots part because it was barely a backdrop. Same with Dickies relationship with Harold I guess to just throw off the Junior thing? The references were so many and distracting it took me out of the movie. I kept trying to think where in the series each of the 20ish call backs were from and if they were important or not (especially the names). 2 hours and Dickie has like 4 scenes with Tony. We're supposed to question if the prison visits are real or imaginary but...why? Theres nothing there that changes anything if it was all made up. This thing really needed more of the actual Sopranos writers in there to polish this up. Its Things That Kinda Happen: The Movie.

The whole Newark riots thing goes back to what Tony was saying in Sopranos about coming in at the end of things. The world is changing faster than the Mafia can keep up. You see this with Harold, The Riots, and Giuseppina. Back in the day A guy like Harold would never have tried to get his own slice of the numbers, but with the increased social consciousness and proof that it could be done with a guy like Lucas he strikes out instead of just taking the scraps left by Moltisanti. Giuseppina as well leaves Italy as she desires her own version of the American dream, one where she can be independent and live her own life. That's why she tries to play Dickie and Harlod off eachother, willing to play both of them to try and get a slice for herself. Unfortunately for herself, while dickie himself is part of these changing times, literally killing his father and supplanting him in the organization, he's also incapable of moving past the way he was raised and lashes out killing her.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Lmao loving Junior.

You couldn't even if you wanted to

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Another odd thing strangely omitted from the film : I guess Dickie wasn’t an addict after all? A pivotal scene in the Sopranos is when Christopher reveals to Tony that his father was just another junkie like him, which doesn’t appear to be the case at all.

Unless we’re talking about an addiction to murderous rages.

He had the pills for livia in his pockets when he died, and livia ably the funeral started gossiping about it while the body was still warm. Most likely the rumor grew out of thay

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

I realize now that Many Saints looks and feels like the last season or two of Boardwalk Empire, moreso than any Sopranos season.

That gunfight outside the restaurant, when that guy's head explodes, that's straight up BE style violence.

That's a huge glaring plot hole to me. Harold's crew lights up the mobsters, killing two. But in this world where firing at a made guy is an automatic death, Harold still walks free.
They were gearing up to get Harold, but then Dickie dies, and the hunt stops. Who do they think killed Dickie?

Yeah I thought for sure he was a dead man walking until the post credit. Hell even during that I was waiting for him to get lit up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've fired a shotgun from inside a car and the hearing loss was only for a couple minutes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheBuilder posted:

I'd like to read more about that scenario.

It's not that interesting of a story. My grampa was teaching me how to shoot, and on the way back he dared me to shoot a stop sign from his pickup. I was six or seven at the time, so I can't say exactly how long my ears were ringing, but I'm not deaf now and I don't recall it being all that bad.

It might've actually still been the corrupt cop who got Dickie. we never seen the dude, and junior probably would've wanted someone outside the family to take out another capo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The war was also costing them money. And leaving them open to the other four families. Considering Phil hosed off, and the decapitation strategy totally failed, but guess choice was to gently caress over Phil and make money or be broke, running the family himself without the benefits, and maybe get himself or his crew killed by some NJ punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's time for the story to be told, the story of Harpo Soprano