Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i'm going to ask the crucial question about the finale:

would a slowly rolling car actually have enough momentum to roll over a human skull, exploding it so violently a watching youth vomits?

MrMojok posted:

Am I the only one who laughs out loud at that scene every time? There is something just so over-the-top there, and it has to be intentional

Chris Elliot does a really funny recreation of this scene on his Adult Swim show Eagleheart and I cannot for the life of me find it to share with you. It's a perfect shot for shot gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sinteres posted:

We're all getting ahead of the reviews, but I really think the best argument for Tony being alive is that we never saw him die and many of us wanted him to survive. Of course we didn't see Adriana die either, but still know she's dead from context, so I don't buy it. I really resisted the conclusion that he died for a while, because it didn't feel necessary to me for him to have died (and young me sympathized more with murderous protagonists than today me does), but even David Chase has referred to it as a death scene. I think there's enough room to take it how you want to take it (and to the extent that authorial intent matters, obviously Chase's reluctance to talk about things for a while was meant to give viewers the option to do that, even if he blabbed too much in the years since then), but the signs all point in one direction for me. If someone takes it the other way though, that's fine too--like I said, I wanted to see it that way for a long time too.

I was unsure the first time I watched it live but later, when I watched the 6th season again especially, I think Tony's death is foreshadowed without subtlety.

e : And then, yeah Chase just blurted it out by accident.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I for one wanted an epilogue season of Tony rehabbing from a life changing catastrophic brain injury. The graphic depiction of his colostomy bag changing a few times an episode by a resentful Meadow would have been catnip to the critics.

Then maybe Chase could finally excise his giant hate (the hoi polloi audience for wanting violence in his mobster show) boner.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Vichan posted:

"I'd gently caress him in his rear end, I hosed kids like that in the can. In the rear end I hosed 'em!"

I always liked that line, it seems so weird to hear a made guy brag about something like that.

I watched Goodfellas the other night with my wife after we've been watching Sopranos. It's been over ten years for both, but I still enjoyed all the crossover actors. It's a fun watch. I forgot how incredible Pesci, DeNero and Liotta are together in that.

Also I "remembered" a complete 3rd act to Goodfellas that I now think may actually be most of the movie Blow.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlyXZG2dupo

"One dog goin' one way, the other dog is goin' the other way and this guy's saying, what do want from me?"

As funny as anything they did on the Sopranos.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Laterite posted:

Check his IMDb; Vincent Pastore has spent the past two decades showing up in anything and everything he can to portray "Big Pussy With The Serial Numbers Filed Off"

Trip report: I went to Vincentpastore.com

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

Ralphie obnoxiously quoting Gladiator felt very realistic because he was by no means the only one when the movie dropped.

I worked in an office with a few Gladiator quoters at the time. I'd segue in to Airplane! at the most opportunities.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

hi liter posted:

Tony sees Carmine Sr. in that dream (Test Dream?) and he talks about how lonely he is in the afterlife. Is that just Tony’s fear? That he’ll end up an old broken lonely man? Given how much of his identity he derives from being a big strong masculine figure, I imagine folks who are saying he would be miserable no matter what are right - no amount of therapy, material goods, or family connection has ever satisfied him, and the things he wants are literally impossible to have.

Now that I'm Tony's age, I feel like they could have shown a lot more of the wear and tear on his and the other mobsters bodies. I can twist a knee getting out of a car the wrong way or throw my back if I sneeze too hard, both a result of injuries from my life that isn't dominated by violence, stress and partying. Plus Tony's up around 300lbs, I mean that guy's body should be creaking it's way out of bed every morning.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FWIW I dont think Lorraine looks anything like Roger Ebert.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pope Corky the IX posted:

From the r/relationships thread...

My [24/f] fiance [33/m] has gotten way too into The Sopranos...

I lost it at the orange juice part.

There was one a few years (?) ago where a boyfriend got obsessed with Sopranos and started talking in an Italian accent all the time. I remember he called his shower the drippini

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

^burtle posted:

For some reasonI always die at, “At Blockbuster?!! How the gently caress did you do that?!”

First stop on the dirtbag express!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ugh it was shitbird expess. That's what I typed the first time but I thought maybe my brain was mixing Tony up with Mr. Leahy. I'm getting old and I've smoked a lot of pot.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ralphie is my favorite character and in my horrible, watched the whole series 3 times opinion his death is when the show shifts from violent escapism into pseudo-artsy navel gazing.

e: Not trying to defend him, he's despicable. I couldn't even watch the Bada Bing parking lot scene last time.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that is when the show gets even better

I'm the kind of fan David Chase hates, I get it. :jerkbag:

e: When I was a young man I worked with a lot of italian and irish guys in construction, and based on those experiences I think Ralphie's mix of shrewd business sense, drug addiction and explosive violence made him the most realistic character on the show.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 27, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't think Finn's testimonial led to Vito's death though? Iirc Phil Leotardo got a tip about where Vito was hiding out and sent one of his guys up to New England to search him out.

It was a big part of the New Jersey - New York crime war, that Phil killed one of Tony's captains without permission.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Finn was an eyewitness to Vito actually having sex with a man, everything else was rumors before that. Phil specifically says to Marie "an independent witness with no reason to lie witnessed him with another man" so that was what he needed. And Tony had gotten fed up with the issues Vito's return had caused and had already sent Carlo to kill Vito when he finds out that Phil had already done it. Nobody knew where Vito was when he was in New Hampshire, his coming home and visiting people like his wife and Tony and that other guy is what clued in Phil and then somebody figured out what motel he was staying at in Jersey.

Okay, right I remember now. I think I was mixing up "Tony going to look at colleges with Meadow" with the Vito thing.

e: Maybe the suburban stashhouse stakeout on the Wire in there too.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ralph Hurley posted:

It just now occurred to me that “Many Saints”translates to “Moltisanti”

The guy who swears a lot is named Swearegen.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sinteres posted:

every single thing Tony did was about wanting to gently caress his mom.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just spent 30 seconds trying to figure out if Andy Daly had a new character.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I feel like that scene would pack a bigger punch if he wasn't named Harpo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

Langan's support of conspiracy theories, including the 9/11 Truther movement (Langan has claimed that the George W. Bush administration staged the 9/11 attacks in order to distract the public from learning about the CTMU) and the white genocide conspiracy theory, as well as his opposition to interracial relationships, have contributed to his gaining a following among members of the alt-right and others on the far right.[10][11] Journalists have described certain of Langan's Internet posts as containing "thinly veiled" antisemitism[10] and making antisemitic "dog whistles".[11]

I'm legit surprised I've never heard of this guy before. What a prick.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I thought Ralphie admitted burning down the stable in a gangster way, something like "who cares about the horse, we all got paid"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ginette Reno posted:

This is a controversial opinion perhaps but I never much cared for Livia as a character. To me the storylines with her are the least interesting and she always felt a bit one note to me.

I don't think she's bad or anything but as characters go she's one of the blander ones for me.

I have people like Livia in my family. I think they nailed the 'everything is the worst, everyone's always trying to screw me and I'm always going to criticize you' old person perfectly.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mike N Eich posted:

I really love Livia from this aspect - about half of viewers see her as a parody, surely nobody is this negative and awful, and half of viewers (like me) are like "oh yeah, this is 100% my grandmother"

My wife took my MiL away for a 4 day weekend last month, a bit of time for just the two of them at a luxury AirBNB cabin on a lake.

They came back and I asked her, "how was a the weekend?" and without skipping a beat my MiL says, "it was ok, it would have been nicer if there was a boat."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey Ton, all due respect but

PerilPastry posted:

*Christopher voice*

His brains looked like poo poo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Basebf555 posted:

Emotional intelligence is a bit of a different thing and I think that's where Tony does very well.

*Does not apply to interactions with women

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/TraceBeaulieu/status/1415687518138286080

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpE4Cg08b58

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mike N Eich posted:

Making my way through Season 4 on my rewatch, really touched by Johnny Sack's genuine love for his wife.

Same. The scene where Johnny leaves then comes back in the house to find her eating hidden chocolate bars breaks me down.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheKingslayer posted:

Patsy might be my favorite minor character mobster.

Yeah, I always had the impression that they killed the actor off too early and then were like "oh poo poo, let's .... let's give him a twin brother and bring him back!"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jerusalem posted:

From memory I think it literally was that David Chase really liked Dan Grimaldi when he came in to do his one and done episode and wished it hadn't been a part specifically written to end in his murder... then remembered that he could do whatever he wanted and just brought him back as the character's twin brother!

Yup, I had a pretty strong feeling.

Anyways, any fellow Chase-heads who love The Rockford Files itt? I'm working my way through the boxed set and its really a lot of fun. David Chase takes over most of the second half of the series. Rockford is such a loveable loser, and the dialogue is top notch. Elmore Leonard level at times.

e: Joe Santos aka Angelo Garepe from s5/s6 co-stars as Rockfords cop buddy.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 27, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I wish there were more scenes of Artie, Tony and AJ just hanging out at Tony's mom's place.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Paulie asking the FBI agents eating sandwiches at Satriales if they've ever met Nick Fury, and nobody can tell if he's being sincere or just loving with them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I remember on my last rewatch thinking that too. Like, even just a scene where the local PD bring Christopher in and rattle his cage about Adriana being "missing" while the FBI watches from behind the two way mirror would have added a lot of unresolved tension before his death.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mike N Eich posted:

The closer I get to the end of the show the more the controversy regarding the final episode seems totally remote and unimportant. It absolutely does not matter if he dies at Holsten's or not - the man is completely dead inside and beyond redemption several episodes before that.

I'd argue this is the entire 6th season, both parts 1 & 2.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will say that I never liked ralphie though, I'm glad he died

Ralphie....whatever happened there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohscge4f1Ak

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is weird that there is a big revelation about Tony using her to be a better manipulator, but that came up in season 1. It wasn’t new

iirc there was some psychology papers on the topic of sociopaths using therapy to become better abusers bleeding through to the mainstream news around the time of the final seasons, so that's why it came back into the story.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

codo27 posted:

I earmarked Homicide Life on the Streets to watch while we went through the Wire. Third episode, not only Edie Falco but what's his name Father Phil too. I'm really liking this so far, awful visual quality aside

The first season is shot on 16mm film if I recall correctly. It's an amazing show, with incredible acting and writing but the quality really slides downwards through the later seasons. Pembleton is probably the greatest TV cop ever.

Ned Beatty slays every scene as Bolander.

e: Yaphet Kotto, Melissa Leo, Jon Polito, Danny Baldwin... They're all just mind-blowing performances. What an ensemble cast that first season.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 28, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BiggerBoat posted:

This is all we get for this story? What happened?

I pulled off the highway looking for a gas station at night in Chicago once and had a shotgun pointed at me by a cop, so I don't think the story needs more than that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bip Roberts posted:

I was thinking about watching the Rockford Files. Is there any good viewing strategy or should I just start with episode 1? It looks like Chase doesn't come into the show until season 3.

Just go for it. It's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My parents have been huge Bruce fans for 40 years and they could never take Silvio seriously because they know Little Steven is completely bald up top. The hair was too much for them.