Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dragging Iler is all wrong. That is 100% how someone like AJ would behave, you’re supposed to want to dunk him in a pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I knew the show had completely warped my brain when I was finishing the series and just really happy that Meadow got with Paddy's kid. Somehow even someone destined to be as lovely as him was a lot better than everyone else she'd dated up to that point.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The pilot is like, a goofy comedy about gangsters compared to what comes after. It's a very funny show from start to finish but it's hard to imagine the pilot going to those extremely dark places the show gets to.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think those later seasons are necessary in shoving all the slime in your face like "THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU HAVE BEEN ROOTING FOR ALL THIS TIME". (Not to say that the Sopranos ever pretended like its characters were good guys, but they certainly feel seedier as the show goes on.) People still missed the entire point of the show despite it basically screaming at you "this piece of poo poo DESERVES to get his brains splattered in front of his family at a diner and he didn't deserve the honor of you getting to watch the spectacle!"

A lot of shows have tried to replicate that transition but I don't think any have pulled it off as well. Breaking Bad got pretty close but still went and introduced literal neo Nazis so we could root for Walt at the end while he got a big badass ending. And Barry just went all in on him being an unsympathetic monster with the third season without easing us into it (a good decision imo).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

"Dad, are you in a prestige drama?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I don’t think Tony’s gambling is out of character or anything. But I do agree that it feels like a weird plot for that late in the show. I definitely found it jarring on my first watch. So much in those later seasons has been expertly set up in the years before, and the gambling plotline just felt like it kind of comes from nowhere even though it makes perfect sense for the character and probably just had more subtle setup than I realized.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Actually I love all the characters and think that Paulie is my special little guy

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Artie, you could have hair like fuckin' Casey Kasem.

Unfortunately it's more like Casey Jones

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The true beauty of Breaking Bad — and maybe the single most important plot point to the show's themes — is that Walt was offered full payment for his treatment from his wealthy friends and he declines it out of pride and resentment. He's the idiot who left the company before they struck it rich. He's the idiot who was too angry and stubborn to use his talents with another company. He's not a victim of capitalism or the healthcare industry. He's just a privileged white guy who got stuck in the lower middle classes due to his own self-pity and his enormous ego. From the very beginning the show is telling you all of this, but Cranston is so phenomenal that you still root for him and sympathize with him because "failing to reach your potential" is something every single one of us can identify with.

Honestly at least Tony has the excuse that he was born into this world. His moral compass is totally askew right from birth. The Sopranos works so well because it's a show that humanizes monstrous people. Tony is weirdly often trying to do "the right thing" despite his impulses but he's too hosed up and too far gone and in a position of power that is all contributing to his worst desires. The tragedy of the Sopranos is that, as it goes, Tony's therapy does nothing but make him a better mob boss and he just gives up all together on whatever conscience he had left.

Walter White, meanwhile, is someone who had every chance in the world to be either successful or happy without a life of crime and he actively chose it anyway. He's absolutely one of those guys who watches The Sopranos and thinks Tony is aspirational instead of pathetic.

It's funny that these two shows get discussed together so often. Maybe it's because one started a few months after the other ended. Tonally they're totally different though. BB is much pulpier and more plot driven with a focus on much fewer characters while Sopranos is a very intimidate character study that generally keeps both get feet planted in reality. But they're two shows about crime, toxic masculinity, capitalism, and insecurity. I think Mad Men is much closer to Sopranos in overall tone and themes which makes sense because Matthew Weiner, but that might also be why I find it more fun to compare and contrast Sopranos with BB instead.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well in my defense it was something I’ve read a couple times and just internalized. Happy to be proven wrong though. My assumption was Tony occasionally using techniques learned in therapy to control his crew but I can’t list any specific examples. If Chase says it’s bullshit then it’s probably bullshit.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

I wouldn't mistake his drug epiphany for anything other than that. Of the revelations he claims to have had, he doesn't mention anything about needing to become a better person. He doesn't come out of it more sensitive for other people's needs, only his.

I have definitely had the exact experience of taking a drug and being overwhelmed with the thought of "I GET IT!!" thinking you've suddenly solved all the mysteries of existence. Then the drugs wear off and you have no idea what it was that you actually "got". I think that was the only time I found Tony relatable.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/orange_peelbeef/status/1634975238642626561?s=46&t=WLc0GyyG56Ptvk5fGt4GyA

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Junior thinking that Larry David and Jeff Garland are him and Bobby is the funniest moment in television history.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Artie is maybe the only character in the show to get a happy ending. And it's literally just "this guy's midlife crisis might be over".

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

He also barely wrote anything for like a decade or more. When you don't practice your craft, you lose it. Though MSoN really feels like it was lost in editing. The whole thing feels like a miniseries that got edited down into a movie. Definitely would not have been as good as the Sopranos either way but it might have been better with just a little bit more time and money.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Bobby turning Nostradamus into Quasimodo through a two-step mental process is such a stupid and funny joke that says everything about the character but also cements Sopranos as casually one of the funniest shows ever made.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I had a dream there was a new episode of the Sopranos and everyone loved it and people said "David Chase is great when he sticks to TV".

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I didn't really get Paulie's character until that moment. That's when Paulie Walnuts is truly born.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Action Serious posted:

You can absolutely hear Pauline’s laugh at the 45 second mark.

Holy poo poo hahaha I can’t tell if he was actually there or someone added that chuckle in later because that is 100% his Paulie Walnuts laugh.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Everyone should watch Palm Springs.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

I was watching an old episode of Curb last night and Nancy Marchand appears in it in a doctor's office where Larry David is doing his Larry thing.

Oh that must have really hosed Junior up.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

thank you thread for reminding me why I didn’t find the arrow scene unrealistic and instead just thought “kids are so stupid”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The genius of Little Carmine is that you ALWAYS know what he means, and the people around him (who are also very stupid) don’t even realize that the actual words make little sense. I honestly didn’t even realize how much of his dialogue was a joke when I first watched the show thanks to the delivery.

And that’s why it’s so goddamn funny.