Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
From what I've seen of the other 3D-farm likes, the big thing that separates Portia from the rest is the variety of the grind instead of reducing grind. Eco is another one that could potentially be good, if they somehow figure out how to separate single-player sensibilities with its primarily multiplayer aspects in respects to that grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's little actual farming in the game. It's rather time consuming until you hire Ack and paying him cuts into your margins. Pretty much all the small planter box crops are things you carry buy or forage (rainbow flowers is one of the few you'll need to grow to make pigments). Growing crystal/apple/apricot trees is better, plus using a giant seed to grow some monstrous kumquat or whatever.

Recent patch nerfed fishing which upset people. Though I would argue the game is open ended enough that it really doesn't matter, I guess some players are really lazy and want some easy gimmick to rush through the content. But there's so much working in the players favor and so much to do it doesn't matter in the long run.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

drat, fishing was really lucrative :saddowns:

I've been saving up to upgrade my house and buy the final plot of land. Capturing Cotton Llama's are an easy 11,000 Gols too.

e: might be time to whip out the ol Cheat Engine for money

kloa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 23, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Playing so far, I've noticed some rather common components that get used for lots of things, even in the late game :

Bronze Pipes- Tons of constructed things need these, so rather than waste time having to smelt+grind try to stockpile them.later you can commission civil corps to do dungeon runs which yield some, which tends to be worth the cost since you'll get other useful stuff as well.

Bronze Plates- another common component for early game stuff.
You'll want to build quite a few DeeDee transports and each one needs 4 bronze plates (plus a few other things) but the plates tend to be the bottleneck.

Steel plates- Common for a lot of things, and also needed for Steel Shells which are commonly needed for later things. Having a stockpile saves time later.

Bearings- I think it's the only thing that uses tin alloy, so if you have to start from scratch on these it wastes a day getting everything together. I just use a comprehensive grinder in order to free up my forges that are usually cranking out Steel bars.

Hardwood plank- probably the most common wood component for things. Use your basic cutters for making it to free up your more advanced ones to make steel or aluminum plates.

Fiber cloth - rather than endlessly slaughter Llamas, just get a civil corps commission for the fur and have your skivver cranking this out.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Panfilo posted:

There's little actual farming in the game. It's rather time consuming until you hire Ack and paying him cuts into your margins. Pretty much all the small planter box crops are things you carry buy or forage (rainbow flowers is one of the few you'll need to grow to make pigments). Growing crystal/apple/apricot trees is better, plus using a giant seed to grow some monstrous kumquat or whatever.

Recent patch nerfed fishing which upset people. Though I would argue the game is open ended enough that it really doesn't matter, I guess some players are really lazy and want some easy gimmick to rush through the content. But there's so much working in the players favor and so much to do it doesn't matter in the long run.

Just so you know, you can buy pigments from Carol (clothing store) now, so you don't even need to grow those.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Did the last update reset all my skill points? I'm not mad, just confused. Don't mind the free respec, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought I might've accidentally acupunctured. Yeah, seems like it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm glad they made it possible to pick up chests with stuff in them, back in early early access you couldn't without destroying them and vomiting all your items on the ground

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

For me, the biggest breakthrough on farming was picking up the auto-fertilizer and tiles from the Church of Light. It costs data discs, but by mistake you’re swimming in them.

The downsides are that you have to buy a tile for each space you have a box on (so 4 for the big boxes), you have to be able to track back to the auto-fertilizer tank, and you can’t seem to pick the tiles back up after which is mind blowing.

But still - fertilizing twenty to thirty boxes through a single source is pretty awesome.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Use an axe/chainsaw on the fertilizer tiles twice in a row :ssh:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The build 5 King Dededes mission went up on a Saturday in my game, and I guess no other builders check on the weekend so I just slowly completed them all over a few days and got an achievement for it. Get hosed Higgins.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There are now 3 options for Female Character voices, up from 1 when I created the thread.

There doesn't seem to be a way to change your own. :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I don’t remember the factory being in Early Access, but holy cow is it awesome :eng101:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Holy cow, people give you presents on your birthday

Like, a lot of them, if you've made friends

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So theoretically?

:goonsay:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Game is cool.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I didn't get any because they added that a few days after mine had passed :saddowns:

Oh well, maybe next year.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game is very good and I'm enjoying it far more than Stardew Valley.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AG3 posted:

I didn't get any because they added that a few days after mine had passed :saddowns:

Oh well, maybe next year.

My first birthday passed with nary a present in sight.

My second was loaded with gifts (useless gifts that I then mainly re-gifted for relationship points, but still). The fact that I set it a few days after the Day of the Bright Sun - and gave away my Fisherman's Axe for the holiday because I had gotten the Chainsaw, which pushed me over into a new relationship bracket with some people, which gave me bonus relationship points for their friends, which pushed me into a new level with some of them, and so on - probably helped.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I started a new playthrough because some options weren't available for character creation and I was only in fall anyway. I also wanted to get the "Build all 5 Dee-Dee Transports" achievement.

All the other materials were no problem to stockpile because I actually knew what I was doing. But I got almost no Small Engine drops. I was getting rather frustrated with it because the commissions were up and I was only able to complete 3 of them but then I realized I only need to get 4 completed and then just take the last one.

Got a small engine drop during the Raining Gifts festival. :unsmith:

My steam account is linked in my profile if you're the kind of person who also likes to compare achievements.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Hey, guess who forgot that weapons don't stack in your inventory before he decided to craft 200 Wooden Swords at the end of the day for resale? Definitely not me.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Great screenshots, downright inspirational! How do you get your camera free to take those shots?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I've been playing for 33 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. The game has a really nice rhythm to it once you get going. I'm 33 hours in and still having fun, also was able to beat Higgins to the top spot in only 3 months, I feel pretty :smug: right now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beating Higgins' rear end in the martial arts tournament has been the highlight of the game so far.

That and doing like 90% of the work for the bridge to the desert.

Eat poo poo, Higgins. I specifically save 45 stamina a day to spar with you kick your face into the dirt.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

gently caress higgins

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My martial arts tournament was on the day something crashed in the wasteland so everyone was there investigating instead and the tournament was just an empty ring over and over until each match timed out. I think me and Bear Boy were the only ones that showed up.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

That’s a lotta poop upkeep :eyepop:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'd also have a high poop upkeep if you could give Higgins gifts

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game is very good and it makes me very mad that more people aren't playing it and talking about it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Bramble posted:

Great screenshots, downright inspirational! How do you get your camera free to take those shots?

Later on you build a hot air balloon attraction allowing you to go on scenic balloon rides. You can take people on dates on it too, but it eats up 5 hours of time.

I wanna see if I can go on a balloon ride during day of the Bright Sun so I can try to crash the hot air balloon into the gift blimp!

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
alright I'm interested, but quickest question ever. Are all the romance potentials equal opportunity / bi like stardew? You wouldn't think it mattered that much, but a bit of representation is just a bit nice when you're a lady who likes ladies. :buddy:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pretty sure they're all romanceable no matter your character. not to mention there's 20+ of them covering a decent range of people. a tradeoff is that there's not specifically any concrete, defined 'story arcs' for them as you befriend them more with like cutscenes all over the place and the like but there's some cool little perks here and there that make up for it in my opinion.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

kloa posted:

That’s a lotta poop upkeep :eyepop:

I imagine! Not my screenshot so I wouldn't know. My first playthrough only got to the end of fall and my second is only starting Summer.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Thanks! I just think it's neat when a game actually lets you be "who you are" or whatever. When I was younger I got so tired of Harvest Moon's straights only or "HA HA LADY BEST FRIENDS" stuff. I just wanna craft and explore the world and be gay damnit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" › Stardew Valley - im gay and you can be gay in this and theres plants

Got that from a Steam review.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah you can be in same sex relationships in the game, though the characters don't adress it at all (in Stardew Valley they'd mention that they 'never felt that way about a girl /boy before' if you were the same sex, and their parents would be explicitly accepting of your relationship as well).

Some characters are more developed than others. If you dare Phyllis, the nurse, you find out that she really wants to start a clinic of her own, and not get tied down in a marriage so you get a mission to prove to her you support her dream, then later you can help build a clinic that she eventually works in!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Alright Where do you find springs? The book says the ruins but I’ve dug for 3 days and found everything but springs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Panfilo posted:

Some characters are more developed than others. If you dare Phyllis, the nurse, you find out that she really wants to start a clinic of her own, and not get tied down in a marriage so you get a mission to prove to her you support her dream, then later you can help build a clinic that she eventually works in!

that's cool as hell and i'm super glad i chose that person to romance in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Alright Where do you find springs? The book says the ruins but I’ve dug for 3 days and found everything but springs.

I believe it's the fighting ruins, not the digging ruins that drop springs iirc.