Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you get better farming kits eventually. also, it is fairly easy to get enough of each type of crop to last you the entire game. at that point, farming stops having any purpose. that's still better than raising livestock, which never had a purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Does farming ever get less tedious than having to do everything square by square with the little animation each time?

Yes. It doesn't take long until you can water/plant/fertilize 4x4 grids all at once.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Not that you really need to. Farming is fairly optional in this one for the most part, it's not a farming game like Stardew Valley is.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

AcidCat posted:

I never even thought to do this until like 120+ hours in I realized, oh poo poo I can upgrade this thing too. I didn't really need it though since I'm not messing with greenhouses or really growing anything other than harvesting my lone coffee tea tree once in a while.

Definitely not needed. I mostly used plants as a filler requests.
Lot of money and points attached for few meat stuffed mushrooms, tea, mangosteen and whatever.
Also lot of people (and camel) really love to get Rhino Horn Cactus.

just thought the Greenhouse would be little more automated, like the factory.

edit: Apparently you can upgrade the power plant too. And I had all the parts lying around for both. Huge difference.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So much of Sandrock is better than Portia, but I actually feel like the actual crafting missions are worse overall. :(

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I'm just glad that (so far, I'm about 50% through) there haven't been any ingredients like crystals in Portia where you need to plant some trees as soon as you can in order to have a meaningful ongoing supply of them when you end up needing a ton of them

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Issaries posted:

Definitely not needed. I mostly used plants as a filler requests.
Lot of money and points attached for few meat stuffed mushrooms, tea, mangosteen and whatever.
Also lot of people (and camel) really love to get Rhino Horn Cactus.

just thought the Greenhouse would be little more automated, like the factory.

edit: Apparently you can upgrade the power plant too. And I had all the parts lying around for both. Huge difference.

One thing to note - cooked dishes are amazingly profitable as far as commissions go. It's worth dealing with plants just to have the ingredients on-hand for those, since they don't require you to go mining, and once you have a greenhouse, all you have to do is plant/harvest occasionally; no fertilizing or watering required anymore.

Don't stress about keeping everything going all the time, just keep a healthy amount of each crop (or dish, once you have the resources and see what the commission dishes are) around and you're golden.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mordiceius posted:

So much of Sandrock is better than Portia, but I actually feel like the actual crafting missions are worse overall. :(

I do find that I enjoyed the things you actually build that then get plopped into the world in Portia more. You get to watch as the Dee Dee's you've built zip around the map, or the water wheel churning, or the lighthouse shining. A lot of Sandrock is "old thing broke, replace with same-but-slightly-better thing" in a way that thematically fits but is kinda boring visually. Even when you build the tunnel to Portia and bus stop you never see it used outside of a cutscene despite everybody talking about how busy and vital a corridor it's become for the town. Obviously there are some huge outliers here like the theme park, or Sandrock finally becoming green after the new water delivery system, but overall I think the town improvements are kind of a downgrade from Portia.

I was also hugely disappointed with how lame some of the material requirements for the end game story missions were, the six star commission in particular gets hyped up as the biggest thing you'll ever make in your life and then it wants like, half-a-day's foraging in the area you just unlocked to get all the advanced mats you need. Although that said:

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm just glad that (so far, I'm about 50% through) there haven't been any ingredients like crystals in Portia where you need to plant some trees as soon as you can in order to have a meaningful ongoing supply of them when you end up needing a ton of them

I definitely appreciate this element, the builder bout in Portia suddenly demanding you have like 200 crystal blew and unless you had trees planted well in advance you were stuck waiting for the same 5-7 nodes to respawn each week and hoped you got lucky on drops. The closest thing is (late game spoilers) during operation flowergate when you need a ton of rose willow for the hedge art, but there you only need like ~40, it only takes a couple days to grow if you don't have that, and Burgess periodically sends you some in the mail for the duration of the quest.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
One thing to note is that rose willow does dramatically more soil improvement than any other crop. IIRC it's 5 plantings to go from bare sand to biocrust, which is less than three weeks in-game (faster if you have the farming skills).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
except soil level barely matters. it doesn't affect growth speed or crop yield.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
And you're given a ton of biocrust via the story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A patch is up with a bunch of fixes and changes is up.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3968301340736074417

Hopefully this fixed my stuck quests.

EDIT: It fixed one of the main quest markers getting stuck but Mort's quest still won't complete.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 1, 2024

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It has maximum Number, does not go up any further

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

What does biocrust even mechanically do besides not having to plant straw squares? I don't even remember.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
water/fertilizer attrition rate.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yeah its nothing special but a little side benefit of no stamp and minor attrition stuff

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

A patch is up with a bunch of fixes and changes is up.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3968301340736074417

Hopefully this fixed my stuck quests.

EDIT: It fixed one of the main quest markers getting stuck but Mort's quest still won't complete.

Mort's quest has some non-obvious triggers on it, I find. Like there's one photo you can't turn in until plot has happened and it just sits there like ! until then.

It might not be your problem, but it's good to be aware of because it kept tripping me up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I didn't actively pursue this quest and it just kinda happened to me eventually, the photos dropping every once in a while. Unless you're in late game and it still didn't wrap up, you're probably just waiting on triggers, yeah.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Mort's quest has some non-obvious triggers on it, I find. Like there's one photo you can't turn in until plot has happened and it just sits there like ! until then.

It might not be your problem, but it's good to be aware of because it kept tripping me up.

I'm pretty sure I already finished his quest. He has a big blue checkmark over his head, as if I can turn in a quest but talking to him does nothing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

I'm pretty sure I already finished his quest. He has a big blue checkmark over his head, as if I can turn in a quest but talking to him does nothing.

Yeah that happens if you can't turn in the last photo because the plot hasn't advanced far enough, it's the confusing thing.

Like you may have the photo, but you just can't turn it in until the dialog he delivers makes SENSE. And that dialog requires plot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah that happens if you can't turn in the last photo because the plot hasn't advanced far enough, it's the confusing thing.

Like you may have the photo, but you just can't turn it in until the dialog he delivers makes SENSE. And that dialog requires plot.

Oh I see. That's something at least.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Oh I see. That's something at least.

Nonspoilery, uh... It's... Okay there's a point in the game where you're going to be asked to make some full-on topiaries. If you get that, it should be safe to say it's time to hand that in to Mort.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Note to self:
Do not arrange your Marriage on the literal 'end of the game'-day.

Marriage got cancelled and Nia is now pissed.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 4, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

finally, I can enslave the Boxing Jacks

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

finally, I can enslave the Boxing Jacks

for not at all suspect reasons

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I just finished the main story yesterday. The save file says over 210 hours but not counting idle time it was probably more like 160-170. Ultimately I think they landed the ending pretty well, but drat if there weren't a few plot beats along the way where I was like "okay, they *have* to be wrapping this up soon... never mind, here's another big project to do."

I definitely echo the other poster who said that in the final stretch they basically woke up, did whatever quests popped up that day, and then went back to bed. It seemed like there was more story than there was gameplay to support. Not a bad thing, just notable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't played through yet, but I imagine they balanced around people who spend a lot of time being creative and experimental.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zesty posted:

I haven't played through yet, but I imagine they balanced around people who spend a lot of time being creative and experimental.

Yeah. On Reddit, there is a lot of players who are not Hardcore Veteran Gamers but are, like, moms who are puttering about and going on dates every day.

Yeah, I went to bed a few hours after waking up in the last few storylines, but I also ground like a motherfucker the first half of the game and turned in every major project and commission the day I got it.

It's fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah it's all good. People like that help create incentive for game developers to give more life to games instead of them being pure mechanics. Even if I don't do a whole lot of role-play type of things in games like this, knowing it's there makes the game feel fuller, richer. Like there's still new things around the corner if I feel like looking.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

On the other hand I wouldn't mind a hard mode of some kind that would slow down the progression for people that like to actively optimize stuff, to make the story flow better for players like that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just picked up a Wonderful Life because it was on sale. I wonder if I should play it before deep-diving Sandrock. Would probably work better than the opposite way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

On the other hand I wouldn't mind a hard mode of some kind that would slow down the progression for people that like to actively optimize stuff, to make the story flow better for players like that.

Increase the time speed in the settings.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

a few plot beats along the way where I was like "okay, they *have* to be wrapping this up soon... never mind, here's another big project to do."

Yeah same, at about 140 hours and just got the next project to build the pipeline and it's starting to feel like the game just never ends. Still getting new sidequests too like Guitar Girl showing up in town. Not a bad thing but yeah certain aspects of the game felt finished many game hours ago, like I have had top of the line machines for a long time now, no longer anything to invest in at Qi's shop. And I'm overall just starting to feel like it's time to say goodbye to Sandrock, so hopefully this is the last main quest project.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Yeah same, at about 140 hours and just got the next project to build the pipeline and it's starting to feel like the game just never ends. Still getting new sidequests too like Guitar Girl showing up in town. Not a bad thing but yeah certain aspects of the game felt finished many game hours ago, like I have had top of the line machines for a long time now, no longer anything to invest in at Qi's shop. And I'm overall just starting to feel like it's time to say goodbye to Sandrock, so hopefully this is the last main quest project.

Hah. If you're doing the pipeline, you still have like 15-20 Main Missions left. You're about 75-80% done with the missions. :negative:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Hah. If you're doing the pipeline, you still have like 15-20 Main Missions left. You're about 75-80% done with the missions. :negative:

You gotta be kidding me. LOL

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The high point for me in the game is the Battle of Sandrock and it feels like that should be the climax. Except... that's only 60% through the main story.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mordiceius posted:

The high point for me in the game is the Battle of Sandrock and it feels like that should be the climax. Except... that's only 60% through the main story.

Especially with all the revelations that come with it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Especially with all the revelations that come with it.

Yeah. It feels like that should be happening at the 80-85% point and then from there, you wrap up the rest of the plots. But NOPE lol.

TBH, another frustrating thing about the game is how there are a handful of romance candidates that only become available in like the last 10 main missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Looks like they're fixing up some of those graphics issues reported recently. Lots of other stuff like this in the newsfeed.

Game is 10 bucks off with the Spring Sale.