Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Aw man, I was hoping it wouldn't be some giant prize. I'm halfway through fall and trailing a solid 2k points and don't feel like I'm making headway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've been doing that, but man those bridge parts are just soul crushing to make at 40 something steel bars per order.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

In the options menu, you can slow down the passing of time. It doesn't help your furnace times, but if you find yourself scrambling to get wood and then back to do upkeep and then to do this and that etc. It can help. I know I turn mine down when I go ironwood harvesting just because the trees are so far apart

Also, does getting the year end award do.anyyging besides 30k goal and gloating rights over Higgins? Because I'm perfectly happy with second place and chill. 30k can be made up by like, 2 days of Wise Fish fishing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Where can I go fishing for fat stacks? I upgraded my rod and want to change it up a little.

Go to the abandoned wastes and fish up wise fish from the pool. They're 320g each. You can also get bladefish and catfish.

People might say Goliath's are better (they're 350g) but they're a tiny bit rarer and take much more effort to catch.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I was trailing like 2k behind Higgins a week into autumn, and was insisting not bothering. Then I noticed how easy the tunnel stuff was to do, and had like 2 blender commissions in the same week.

Now I'm like 500 behind and I've got a whole week of autumn left and all of winter. Guess I'm doing this.

Anything besides Carbon steel I need to horde before winter hits?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

waggles posted:

Stainless aluminum and hard aluminum, especially stainless as a lot of new main story missions require aluminum plates.

Hmm, I have no way of crafting aluminum yet. Oh dear.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like because boxes are so easy to make, I've never needed more than one full page of personal inventory space. So I've always got worms, discs, power cores, and fertilizer on hand since those seem to be things I can't draw from storage to use.

I use power cores just fine from storage. You're spot on a out everything else though.

I just bought the 100k gol land expansion and was pleasantly surprised that it was even more space than I had originally thought. I was even further pleasantly surprised to find that there's still more land to buy.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm at that point in the game where I'm transitioning from power core structures to the next core structures, so I'm buying the next core from the research center using power cores every now and then, and I need them in my inventory to be able to use them as payment. I get what you're saying though about using them as a power source from storage.

I'm swimming in both kinds of power cores from the inspections, so I hadn't considered that since I haven't needed to do it yet. My bad.

Also, not a HUGE deal, but I kind of wish the electric furnace allowed me to make all the rest of the metals at slightly reduced times like the other furnaces do. It feels weird having a few different types of furnaces kicking around. That said, I'm on the wind turbine quest and oofa I'm gonna need faster aluminum production.

Also, a tip, the comprehensive grinder is a game changer for things like bearings and pipes, as you can straight up make it out of the ore instead of smelting bars first. I put making one off not realizing this and bearings and pulleys became a choke point for me since I had to halt carbon steel production to make the tin alloy first.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I disagree on the people portion of that, though they could stand to have more quests and interactions, as well as maybe adding more/better perks for upping friendship levels.

The combat though is... Yeah. Fortunately, save for a few story beats, once you've run a dungeon once on each difficulty level, you can just commission to have them deliver all the stuff you would have gotten. Honestly, probably more than you'd have gotten in my experience.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Agreed. It's cool to point at something and say "Yep, that was me (and Higgins helped I guess)!". It really adds a layer of investment to the whole thing, imo.

I noticed this when I built a bookshelf for Dr. Xu. Like, you do the thing and then it's there. It's such a minor thing, but when you pick up on it, it's so cool. It just feels so much better than a lot of games where you get a quest to build a massive mcguffin and then the NPC pockets it, says thanks, and it disappears into the void. It still happens in this game, but at least the quests provide tangible results.

Also, dear lord I finally built level 3 of the assembly station and it auto builds which is cool. What I didn't realize is that it auto builds :siren: -from your chests- :siren: It's such a wonderful QoL thing. Plus I don't have to go digging through my horrifically organized chests nearly as often.

It's nice that upgrades feel good.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It's worth noting, don't be shy about buying clothes, and keep them.when you buy them. You'll eventually unlock a thing that let's you apply the highest available stats to any piece of clothing, so you'll be able to pretty princess it up.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If you're willing to zone out for 5-10 minutes at a time, you can make absolutely stupid money fishing in the desert pond. It has wise fish, gladiator fish, and salmon. You can just ignore all non-king salmon and fish the afternoon/evening away and wake up the next day with 8-14k worth of fish, and that's assuming you didn't catch any Kings.

Surprisingly, the quests and bigger commissions offer good money, though they're further in between. For the most part I haven't had to worry about money, save for when I want an upgrade or to buy more land, and even then, assuming you're not splurging like crazy on furniture and things, you build money up really quickly.

Also, I'm never not amused by mining for 6 hours in a pristine white suit and coming out just as pristine.

Edit: if you're not into fishing, I bear setting up a massive amount of corn balls and keeping them fertilized makes dumb money.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Also, just so you know, you can only take one story commission at a time, but you can take multiple per day as long as you complete what you took. I knocked out all 5 of the harbor commissions on the day they came out because I had stuff stockpiled. Since they turned into Antoine, I just brought all the mats I needed and knocked them out in like 40 game minutes.

Also also, buy out Emily's food stand for hotpot and meet everyone's wishes as best you can. I probably got a heart with everyone due to all the cascading bonuses from relationship changes.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

One thing the game doesn't explain well is that if you don't constantly have the research center cooking then you'll probably hit a wall for main quest progression. Always have disks to give to Petra.

This said, unless you're really stuck or trying to do a crazy thing like beat Higgins in Spring/Summer, don't pay the extra discs to reduce the time. You'll get everything at a perfectly decent pace.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If you can sequence break anything, I haven't found a way to do it. I've done a good amount of running around, wall climbing, and attempting to jump over water bodies. Invisible walls. Invisible walls everywhere.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

FINE I’ll go buy this game while it’s on sale.

Satisfsctory is going to have to let me out of its grasp eventually. I think. Probably.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright. Vasectomy yesterday complete. Today I have 4 bags of frozen peas and this game and that’s all I’ve got to do.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I keep reading about ‘delaying’ the main quest so you can stock up etc.

I haven’t made a lift yet, so is it possible for me to just stock up on basics before moving forward? I remember the first definitely always feeling some pressure to get things done quickly or someone would snipe it out from under you.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cool. Duly noted. I just remember the last one where if you weren’t hustle hustle all the time the other guy would swipe all the commissions

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

2 questions:

1) is this like the original where it’s basically mathematically impossible to finish first in the first season, but after that you start pulling to the top with ease?

2) I noticed there’s a lack of direct competition. Like in the last one dicknuts or whatever his name was would swoop in and deliver all the commission items if you didn’t. Is there any of that here? I haven’t seen it yet if so. Right now it’s been ‘Mi-An go work on x, builder here will make y!’

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How does this game do on deck? I’m traveling this weekend and was thinking about bringing my obsession with me on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I can fix her.

Yes, fix.

Quest: Fix Catori
Steel Pipe: 0/1
Large Storage Box: 0/1