Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think you need a certain level of friendship and so far only way I've found to find gifts they like is trial and error. I'm all error so far lol. Nobody has ever had more than a pity response and more than 1 person has had negative ones. When I hit 1 star full with Mi-An and Elise(redhead farmer girl?) I got a story quest involving them both, not sure if coincidence or if tied to getting to that level with em both.

I need to stop playing, I'm already 17.5 hours in, lol. Almost through first month, but I'm running out of things to upgrade from my lightbulb level-ups. Not sure I'll quite be able to become number one, but I get the feeling if you always grabbed the highest rep jobs turned in day-of and got 2 star workshop asap to grab more quests per day, you could beat him. Got to number 2 halfway through month but the gap there to number one was bigger than the others before it combined. Getting close, even though I often just took quests I could complete offhand over ones that would drain my day to gather up.

I wonder how much will be added by release, I think I'll finish out the month and let it rest so don't miss if they add or change things. Already got some books and stuff that don't seem to be useable in bookshelves or have any effect, still unwritten. Assumed they'd give stat boosts for some reason but maybe that's just on me. Might restart at release, I know yuou can pace it out however you want, but I'd really like to become number 1 in town first month for my own satisfaction. I could also do better with my town friendship, I mostly just get the +2 or so for talking to them and don't have a gift routine and don't usually wanna even do 1x of the card/brawl just b/c it eats up so much time to mash A. Maybe next round I'll look up a find a good set of gifts to pump up at least some of the folks easiest to reach in my routine.

i just made as goblin a lady I could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never had glitches in Portia, at most some goober will get caught up on something or fail to go about the walk routine which often just made them easier to find anyway.

Sandrock is still fun, once you start getting into the first star for characters you get more little activities and sie things going on, it's nice to have stuff all up in the air rather than just an inevitable routine. I did kind of give myself too much going on , failed one part-time task and am going to fail this other to harvest wheat in time, just started too late. The first one I failed I accepted at like 18:00 from cooper to go weed his land, aka give 5 oregano, but the dance thing pushed me to so late that he was in bed and i couldn't get in his room to give him the oregano as proof of my weeding. That's one me for accepting, but I didn't realize how it was timed out.

My one gripe so far is that the dance-off event only gives 25 medals for winning, but each round wastes like quite a few hours. I think if you win every single one and spend every available moment of the dance-off, you only get enough medals for the cheapest thing. I missed one chance at it because there was an impromptu fireside meeting, which itself eats through a couple hours. Not a fan of those weird time skips for events that unfold in "real time", where time is already like a minute a second or whatever. Double time penalty for cutscenes!

I like the Sandrock vibe in general more, even this church branch seems pretty chill, though I still reflexively do not trust the church lady lookin like she owns a plantation. I dig the notion of cleaning up trash and recycling it all, digging through scrap to repurpose stuff, the town working as a community with civic pride being a local virtue. Stuff like not chopping down trees and cacti justy to churn out some crates since those are important ecological things that take ages to grow and provide numerous other benefits when not dead as food or furniture. Functionally you still get all the resources you need renewing themselves pretty close to home, but scrounging through desert scrap piles in a post-apocalyptic world to recycle is just cooler than holding the same button at a tree.

I like the story so far too, there's a water shortage on and there's a real motivation for me to help solve it because I'm blowing all my money on water at the inflated prices. Extra tension because I've been trying to build the story stuff fairly quickly, the game isn't rushing and I don't think there's any reward or incentive for going this fast, in fact, it sometimes makes a mess for yourself if you don't pace yourself. However, I'd been researching all these upgrades for my machines, except I ignored an entire upgrade tab, not seeing the option to upgrade my workshop, which was the bottleneck to upgrade everyone of my other machines which were pretty much ready to go, just needed that workshop and i assumed it was from the story or workshop progress. I also expanded my garden for a big zeke quest and some other stuff so added more water pressure at the wrong time. I'm almost ready to solve this water crisis -- except I'm bottlenecked for iron, which I'm now accruing through stacks of scrap I'd piled up without a civil recycler, so it'll still be a few days. OH and I just wanna make a story spoiler guess and say that Logan the wanted poster guy is the blonde journalist guy who only seems to be in town sometimes.

I've also made enough one-star friends in town now that in the morning there's random gifts/junk just piled up in front of my house. Kind of nice because they seem to drop them off by hand so sometimes you can catch em as they start walking back to normal spawn or routine. However, friendship can also mean someone stops to jabber on as soon as you walk outside, but doesn't pause people so mi-an can just slip inside and snake the good commissions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll try and pay attention to it but have not noticed it at all yet. There have been a couple times where randomly I go into a menu or something and my FPS drops to 20 and stays that low no matter where I go. Restarting the game fixed it, figured it's some optimization thing that'll smooth out eventually?

Gamerofthegame posted:

the main big thing with portia is it really does feel like the early unity engine game that it is, which is... not great. if you can stomach that it's fine and I assume sandrock has infinitely more production value given the team has more experience from the get go, but yeesh.

There was something on their kickstarter on why they were even working on this over "fixing" Portia and they just had too many foundational issues and a wonky code base that just made any of the changes they wanted to make feasible. Definitely feels like they've already got a much better baseline engine going in Sandrock.

Panfilo posted:

Game is fun, though it's a bummer there are a lot of unfinished parts of the social tree. In games like Stardew Valley, I sought easy to get but well liked gifts but according to guides the 'loved' gifts are pretty rare or assembled artifacts.

Here, I get the sense the easiest way to build up relationship is to just do commission quests for them. Best way to make money too!

One gripe I do have is that food in general isn't that useful. For all the effort that goes into making it from scratch, most of the buffs aren't that helpful. What you need is stamina more than anything.

I'm getting most folks to one star after a bout a month in-game, all day 1 commissions, talking to everyone everyday, doing community events, donating to church, has let me get folks growing steadily, while a few folks I interact with more or like are a bit higher since I'll spar or play cards. Never found a gift that gave more than 2 rep so just haven't really bothered, I could look it up in a wiki but I'm trying to avoid that long as I can while game is still fresh. Plus everything I have is mostly stuff I need outside of a chest or two of clutter.

Haven't made any food yet, just now researching drying rack but yeah any food that isn't stamina i just ignore basically. The days seem mostly balanced around your stamina useage, your bar + daily special meal I think is your intended pacing. The 8% stamina foods I've used only really give enough juice for a few more whacks so it's less a day-extender and a "just lemme finish off this last bit of task before me" bump. No furniture I have yet even increases stamina and I don't think any gear stats add to it, endurance only adds to your dodge-roll bar which, lol who cares. Combat isn't hard enough to warrant buffing, maybe an attack buff to help get higher rank on Breach runs?

I'm curious how long the story of this game will be, I was kind of hoping to run into a "okay that's all for now come back later" about now but I'm still finding plenty of stuff to do. It's mostly my inpsiration points going to waste, I'm starting to stockpile them as running out of stuff to spend them on since most aren't in game yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Talking to everyone every single day feels too tedious for a mere 1 rep outside of fireside chats or church where they're all clumped together. Though in spite of this I still got the Chatterbox achievement for 500 cumulative conversations. Event dialog also gets retained so if you haven't talked to someone in a while you can still hear their dumb opinions about bridges or geeglers or whatever for a few rep. And I'm guessing social exp scales with rep itself, though it's the least fleshed out skill tree right now.

I remember in Portia the specific buffs from building up friendships were all over the place and seldom very helpful in most cases and I worry that carried over here.

They're clumped together often enough or just on my way walking to wherever, never actually make it a point to say to everyone and people who mostly lurk inside or don't often wander across my paths have lowest. It's still early enough I'm occasionally amused by talking to folks anyway. MAking friends does get you present spam, which is sometimes useful, often just a random thing you'll never need and might just stick in a box or regift.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even on SSD they're just the perfect length so I can't really grab my drink of water or hit the bong or alt-tab out, but also if I just sit and wait my mind will wander and I'll completely forget what I was about to do lol.

Fairly often I wake up, leave house to go beeline the comissions board, but I'll start tenfding to machines or reading my mail and have to reload day to get back on track

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

It's barely hashed out at this point in EA and you'll run out of things to put points in pretty fast.

The pottery lady had what seemed like a repeatable quest that would have been a nice way to farm rep but two weeks into it she feels bad and decides to let you off the hook (cmon lady, it's only 4 clay not a big deal).

I see there's a 'network' linking characters to their family and other friends and assume you can indirectly build rep by chumming it up with one of them.

Rocky's wife seems to be some kind of recluse as she never leaves her house and I didn't even know Rocky was married until I did a commission for his wife lol.

Same with Arvio, he has a short run of delivery tasks. I was looking forward to them but they ran out shortly. I've failed two other characters' part time jobs, get a disappointing chat after, still curious if I get another chance at em eventually. I'd always rather have more things to do that I can't get to yet than have awkward moments where I'm out of stamina, out of chores, out of quests. Considering how fast I've been advancing through stuff and am only a month or so in, have had quite a few days that even if I had the time going normal speed instead of half, I'd still have nothing to do by 17:00 or even before noon on some days where my stamina was just going to scrap or something that drains it all instantly. I've tried switching back to normal time, but since you get penalized for story events, the pacing just meant frantic stamina burnoffs sometimes if there were more than 1 event that drains 1-2 hours to punish you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha yeah he gave me a delivery once during a fireside chat gathering and dude was within turning distance. that's the fun of agent routines I guess.

I thought maybe church seating was random rather than they made those odd choices haha. Speaking of church, is there a way to "attend" it and does doing so do anything? I keep attending church in the fact that my commissions lead there sometimes in the morning, but I never saw anything to do besides chat with everyone in one convenient place mostly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is some of the voicework placeholder? I was talking to Grace today and she seemed to switch voices on this quest she gives you, and even within that speech it kind of sounded like she was flipping between two character voices, and neither really sounded all that much like when you just talk to her in the restaurant.

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if it's possible to beat him in the first month. You'd have to minmax like crazy just to make up such a huge initial deficit.

You definitely can get higher than where he starts but he always seems stay paced ahead of you no matter how well you seem to be doing. Tempted to make a second save and cheat a reputation multiplier just to see if they have it coded for him to always win since he strongly implies he's a stink cheater in many convos, that he "always" wins but not in the confident "good at building" way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
After the first month eval Mi-An was bottom and he was telling me to go shame her and find out what's wrong.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's definitely possibly, I'm in month 2 and just now noticed I'm already number one. I got promoted to 3 star workshop several days ago, so maybe around then. Between day 5-9 of autumn.

Actually now I think it is very possible to beat his score month 1, assuming it's not set to lose. Once you unlock more characters you end up getting more chances for workshop rep gain and I only now noticed that for 2000 gols you can get a quick +20 to everyone in town pretty much donating to church box whenever it is out.

money in this game is kind of funny, I rarely ever feel like I'm working towards making money. I buy water and crop stuff, but I really kind of don't know where the rest of my money is going. Don't buy togo food, don't buy gear, don't buy supplies. I guess, sharpening stones, gotta buy those apparently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh that's a good catch. I think come official launch II might start over anyway and I'm definitely gonna gun for number 1 month 1. I mean, I was already but next time I'll get it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Me too. Also they throw you a bone and give a 50% discount at the general store and blacksmith I think. I didn't take advantage of it this playthrough but if I'm minmax-ing and know what to spend on it could give me an edge next time.

haha yeah I was also wondering how to take advantage of that discount but ended up buying nothing except 2 wooden chests rather than spend the time making the boards for it myself lol. There's gotta be something there to help rocket you to number 1 faster. I'd also be building food machines earlier for the bonus stamina since that's your real resource limitation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well you might be passed it or missed the run-up commissions or events and have to wait a whole other year and honestly cant think of how many farm life sim games that I've gone beyond year 2 before feeling it's "complete."

Panfilo posted:

Get ore processor early too because you can wring bloodstones out of useless rocks which saves a lot of time.

learned this lesson when I took a couple bloodstone commissions thinking I'd go poke a couple rocks and be good to go... naw, nearly all my stamina running around smacking dang hard rocks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao I don't even remember chickens or ducks being in the game lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I like early access games because I'm impulsive. But what sucks about them is that it is easy to blitz through the slow trickle of content and get bored quickly. On the flip side, this might wring out more interest in the game as you can come back to a previously incomplete game you've grown bored of, only to have a bunch of QoL improvements and content to explore later.

It's also weirder pacing since you go through early stuff without the later content and systems sprinkled back in.

I became number 1 builder and finished every story project the day of but I might've not been so overstocked and ahead of the curve if I had the other stuff to do at the start. Still, enjoying this as stuff comes out, will just make a fresh file on release for the real intended experience. Plus I'll plan my house and factory better next time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're okay with Early Access release style, Sandrock has a ton of hours playable already and is a big improvement over the original in many big and small ways. I really couldn't get back into my Portia save when I hit the end of a patch or two ago in Sandrock, all those little things stick out more after you've gotten used to the newer version, plus the load times add up.

You've already played Portia and had that feeling of "good but overreaching" so I think the safest bet is wait for Sandrock, with the option to jump in now with big updates still to come.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone mess with Song of the Prairie? The negative reviews seem to have more to say than the more generic positive/hopeful comments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's romantic, hair blowing in the wind, sand kissing your sandwich. Like a cherry blossom festival but for the desert.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure I've ever gotten married in any farmsim life game. I think maybe one of the Gameboy harvest moons I did and it was kinda pointless.

In any case, I was playing a few weeks ago I have no problem recommending the game as-is. I don't know anyone to co-op this sort of coupley game with so don't really care about that aspect. It's better than Portia in every way, solid replacement and take 2 on the concept. I think I'm pretty near the end as I've been butting against current story content for a year of updates, and nearly full skill tree.

My biggest wish is another optimization pass. There was one patch where loading was barely noticeable at all but it's crawled back up as they've updated.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha now that has me kind of interested just to see. I think the one I made most romance progress on is the trying to run the museum and arcade stuff. She barely had time for the PC which is perfect, because, same. You don't get to number one workshop by double the points of even cheating Yan by going on play dates that I can't figure how to make work. You do it by having so much of everything you can complete commissions and story quests before noon, most of that time chasing down someone who teleported to church.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

The actual romance elements is very take or leave but strategically befriending the townsfolk to get discounts at their shops and extra friendship points with their friends and family to get discounts at their shops is an important part of the game imo.

Getting relationships up is definitely part of my gameplay flow. When I restart I'll definitely work some better generic gifts into the mix because since I started paying attention my friendships went up a ton. It's cool there's cascading effects too, friend of a friend likes you more. Plus donating to the church, which isn't that bad for a church.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's especially weird when those characters have their own ambitions or jobs and just become a daily bonus hanging around your house.

Ideally you would need both incomes to be able to support the kid, who after enough years can start doing chores around the farm until kid gets old enough to move away or slack on farmwork to go sneak drinks at Marnie's or whatever. You and the spouse should get to drift apart over time no matter what you seem to try, somehow handing over even the highest quality food or craft items just isn't enough anymore. Endgame is collecting alimony since the corporate city job was always really bailing the farm out of debt.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

I’ve spent the last few weeks binging My Time At Sandrock, and it’s definitely solid. Still has your standard indie jank of characters walking into walls or facing the wrong way in conversations but the gameplay loop is fun and they’ve clearly improved from Portia.

The voice acting is… interesting. Some kind of weird line readings and some characters that clearly had different actors (or the same actor forgetting exactly how they did the voice) for cutscenes and for conversations, which seems to be a normal problem for indie games that are writing as they go. But I’ve found a lot of the character dialogue clever and enjoyable.

I was going to complain about the guy reading for Unsuur because the initial conversations with him came across as amateur and wooden readings, and I assumed the actor was due to some sort of kickstarter thing and then the game went on and I realized that no, Unsuur is just an incredibly boring person, and talking with little to no inflection is just what he does. And the actor actually does a good job with making it sound reasonable.

I think it's sometimes a case of the VA forgetting their accent. Amirah's Brother in particular has this totally made up accent that's even harder to peg than usual because the VA seems to shift it so often. I think there's at least another character or two who have made up accents as well?

And I had the same ride with Unsurr, he sounds appropriate for the boring goober he is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I will miss my house when it launches, except for the fact that it's arrangement means I can't actually use any of the extra stories because there's no place to place stairs and such.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They'll be adding stuff but there's already a ton to do and I would say go ahead and start if you're itchy for some workshoppin'. I'm at the end of the game and content they have in so far and seems like I still have plenty of friendship events and things to go through if I wanted to just grind up days of building friendship only but I kinda like when there's story pressure ot build more than just doing my own pace.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't tempt me with a good time. Love getting a huge batch of new tasks and then finishing them that day lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get why they have to do it, but unless they add a backup system to non-visually place decorations, it's technically a slight nerf to your stats. To be fair, I don't know how important the stats are WRT to combat since it's all pretty non-threatening but extra stamina was always appreciated. My workshops out edge is a wall of artifacts and decorations. Seems to get people to admire them for passive friendship gain more often that way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's funny to even decorate inside because you only see it when saving to start the next day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't get me wrong, every available inch of my hosed up house (I really messed up with the editor, i have an upstairs that can only be accessed from a door hanging off the side of the second floor if you angle onto a lamp post the right way) is covered with decoration for the buffs! I was just seeing that DLC as aesthetic and my character is always wearing best available gear looking like a mishmash scavenger, and my workshop and home are dictated by function. I also play with day length set to max and still rarely felt like I had the downtime to really sink into decor, but that's entirely on me for wanting to always max out jobs the morning of to get highest rank and progress and the game isn't really built for that, or at least not during development where doing so would often end up giving you a holiday thats also packed with a half dozen story events, granted, pretty fun to get it all done in one go but probably not the intention.

Still undecided on whether I wanna finish out my initial farm or start anew. On one hand, I've already done most of the content, on the other, a lot of it came in weird order punctuated over a year or two. Plus if I was fast the first time, I can go even faster now knowing more of what I'll need or not. Like I'm in year 2 and still have a few things left to research.... this is inefficiency on my part.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd recommend turning the time slower, although early on when you have low stamina and relatively few things to do, you can end up with a lot of dead time with no stamina, which you can use to build friendship up or just smell the daisies. At the default speed I felt punished if I ever spent time standing around or talking to someone out of my way, or just exploring, but with it slowed it felt more balanced, gave me time to look at my stuff and plan or goof off.

If you want the full pick of commissions, you actually need to race Mi-An (you can steal jerky or ore from her house every day lol) every morning to commissions office, she will pick hers removing an option for you if she gets there first. IIRC it was either 14 minutes on the clock or 14m was when I needed to be running across the train tracks to still beat her. Not sure how many real time seconds that is, but if I got distracted at my mailbox or checking my machines I would be too late. Might not be a problem if she takes one you didn't want to do anyway.

Here's some rambling thoughts about what I think I'll do differently on restart, in some cases because of things that might've changed over development, and from the perspective that I want to be number 1 builder in as few game days as possible (I think I got it in under a year, if not shortly after), finish all story requests immediately upon receiving, max all friendships asap, and not have any downtime for any machines. Spoilered because almost all of these are metagaming mechanical choices using what I know from playing that I couldn't in an organic first play-through.

I only ever did doubles of most machines, might consider going triples at least next time. Like the whole front area by my gate is a heap of chests, which was once superhandy, but now all storages are linked, so only one is needed right by gate, and next time I want my front door to open into gate with only enough room for a chest and eventually a local commissions board.

I would also hoover up everything (although often its just a stamina limit prioritizing immediately needed mats), there were a few items I thought of as useless for so long only to suddenly need or want a bunch to mass produce with suddenly for this or that. There were also days where I didn't take advantage of the cheaper meals at saloon for some extra stamina. I also sat on too much gold often that I should've either upgraded workshop with, or used to make more commissions for materials to avoid getting supply blocked on some ore or other easy resource.

I will also spend less resources crafting combat gear, main quest progression will regularly upgrade your gear for free as rewards and you can technically sometimes craft and upgrade gear to be better or have buffs you like more, the upgrade gems are probably best used for your main tools and weapons, or having a healthy stockpile for high-quality missions. I also think it's better to be aggressive with your CDs, getting those research goals done in fewer or just 1 day is really clutch and usually opens up a ton of good new stuff.

Mounts were also added late enough I never got into the habit of using them, but they can really speed up travel. If you're not extending time, that travel time matters even more. Same for learning what people like, or if nothing else carrying a stock of 2-3 commonly liked items. Later one you can use surplus materials to craft the high end furniture and machines for people to really gain levels faster. Some folks are easier as they really like the kind of crap you end up with too much of often.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy moly, buried in a mountain of mail was a new item, idk how late game or not it is, but it's almost making me want to start over now because my goblin tower is a lovely chaos mess that had absolutely no room for the fact I can apparently turn entire rooms into greenhouses or factories. these were not in the game at all last I played and seem like huge deals there'd be a questline about, maybe I auto completed by nature of being so far into game already. I just literally don't know if I have room and technically my house is illegal since I don't have the perks for 4 story house but when I built my house there weren't limits yet lol.

Also cool to see some of the untextured areas finally finished out, wasn't sure what that canyon was gonna look like but it's pretty dope now. Load times seem up again so hoping they do another optimization pass like they did early on. That might've been their one big trick there just to make room for all the new detail and such though.

Just finished a mega patch day bevy of quests, tomorrow is stacked w events, holiday soon, and poor Amirah following me all day on a play date I scheduled and forgot about lol. She did not enjoy the day of watching me work, even though some of it was for her commissions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha crazy, I did all the machining manually up until then (well fairly recently added the robo helper). Unless act 2 is considered the end of the previous content update.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I found if I kept enough of everything ahead of time, I was never waiting on my machines aside from occasional quick pivots for surprise story missions and normal commissions same first day, using anytime for machine crafting replenishing stock. At default speed I also had lots of days where I went to bed with unused stamina or didn't have time to talk/interact to the folks I wanted to. Plus any day with that bastard Yan above me is one with something to rectify.

I'd compare it to Stardew where it technically doesn't have any time limits but also actually I absolutely want community done year 1 at least.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GotLag posted:

I am on track to knock him off the number one spot by the end of the first month

Okay I definitely gotta do a new game and try that. Would be so satisfying and when I started the game I figured I'd poke around and not touch it till release but ended up playing practically every patch, so I was not being efficient at first at all

Plus didn't realize I could build on roof, and I'm pretty sure these ruins vending machines are new because LMAO these pills are so much better than even the best foods I've stockpiled so far. Also a good gold sink, I rarely ever tried to make money outside of commissions but I didn't have a good way to convert gold into mass stamina easily.

My relationship hearts are all out of whack too since half the characters didn't exist for most of my playtimes. It's hard to say goodbye and idk if I'll ever be able to make my rickety illegal broken goblin tower again. If only you could compete against the ghost of your old save.

Actually a farm sim ghost self race mode would be really cool for Stardew and such too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

So it sounds like this game is not quite as chill as say Stardew Valley? Does this game kind of force you to be as efficient as possible and doing stuff for aesthetic reasons isn't really viable?

Absolutely not, the game is perfectly content and intended to be chill and at your own pace. Even thematically, playing like we've been discussing is probably against the spirit of telesis since these efficiency behaviours are the sorta capitalist things that caused the apocalypse in the first place.

Everything we are discussing here is for the self elected satisfaction and goal of making progress as fast and efficiently as possible. The game does not pressure you into working this fast and in some cases it almost doesn't acknowledge that you do everything ridiculously fast.

There's no real penalty to failing commissions aside from wasted opportunity cost, the few activities with a time limit give you an absurd amount of time to do a few builds.

The game also wants you to decorate and play with aesthetics and you can whittle away plenty of time on that sort of stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Old ways: Dethrone Yan, Mi-An, and the two fake builders to become best builder on one month.

Telesis way: Max hearts on Yan in one month.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao good to know. Befriending Yan and a few others I neglected the first time will be one of my new game goals. I'm especially interested in trying to romance a certain somebody who ends up a certain someway and I'm very curious to see how that's handled. The real challenge will be pretending to make nice with characters I detest.

I will also be nicer to redneck girl sooner, she turns out to be kinda badass eventually.

The game is also pretty funny at times, I did BFF quests for Burgess last night and the goofy side quest dialogue gags had my laughing, especially as we helped a lonely sociopath find out where to buy dynamite after asking him not to spill water into the desert (which he was mainly doing form the thrill of being bad and getting caught).

I also initiated romance option with Burgess as I do for anyone it lets me in such games. I don't think I've ever actually gotten married in harvest moon, Stardew, or this series, but I sure as hell lead everyone on so they send me gifts and be nice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Elsie or is there a redder neck out there?

Elsie yeah. It's worth putting up with listening to her dad Cooper on his long aimlessly rants. Mabel has some good recipes as well. Really just befriend em all and let God sort em out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm a sucker for Catoris janky rear end New York accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Make sure to donate to the church on days they have the donation box out. The 2000 gols is well worth the relationship points you get with a ton of people at once, which can also have the cascade effect of making others like you more when their family/buds like you.