Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

You can totally rename mounts. Mine's called Mistral.

Mine's Roach because she constantly gets stuck on world geometry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I think Mi-an is probably one of my favorite characters I’ve ever experienced in any “cozy” game.

Having a character that acts like they're also a player by sprinting everywhere 24/7 and never standing still is very funny.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, except her factory is :mediocre: at best. I do wish I could build her a proper factory at some point, or at least get her something beyond the crappy tier 1 workplaces she has outside.

Make her move into your workshop for greater efficiency.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I couldn't decide whom I wanted to romance but then Venti asked me out and it turns out that her breaking scrap with me extremely suspiciously in the middle of the night was her clumsy attempt at flirting and I couldn't say no to the awkward trash goblin.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

What the hell is a "pick me"?

IIRC it's the "I'm not like the other girls" stereotype.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually having proactive characters and not having everything revolve solely around the player is some of the best things this game does, hth you whiny baby.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

I saw some speculation on the Steam forums that Mi-an basically disappearing from the plot past a certain point was a massive overcorrection to early feedback about her.

That sucks if true. Gamers are truly the worst.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Time to build a wizard tower and start shooing away all the bachelorettes from the top floor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Mi-An has a hatch under her bed that leads to an underground grotto where she has several geeglers working on commissions. She is part of the secret geegler resistance front and funnels her commission profits into the cause, which is also hers as she is a doppelgeegler.

...so you're saying that there are two of her for me to marry?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can I have a single beard option that isn't horrible, please?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

She married you as part of a long con to steal your workshop in the divorce settlement. She decides that you can have the pets and the baby, but she gets all your workshop equipment.

Getting rid of an additional worker would be inefficient on her part.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does multiplayer work in this exactly?
The story isn't available in multiplayer, I've heard. What else?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord posted:

So how do I handle museum donations in sandrock? I don’t appear to have enough medium item shelves in the museum to donate all my belongings to. Is there a way to expand the museum or do I have to deposit an item in the museum, get the donation credit, then take it back and put something new, rinse repeat?

You can donate as much as you want and the shelves just decide what is displayed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish the tooltip for an item would tell you if you already donated a copy of that before or not.

Way too often do I get a spare item and then Mi-an all the way to the museum only to find out that I already donated one of those.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd trade 3 yakmel and a horse for a decent beard option, or at least a stubble texture.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The less time I need to spend on making stuff the more time I have to spent on hand-holding my wife.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It took me like...an in-game week to establish my workshop properly and from that point on I practically always had everything ready for any orders that popped up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does the game not have a mod to skip the 30 seconds of loving splash screens on startup?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm getting "[Person] admiring your [Relic]. +5 Relationship" messages, never seen that mechanic before.
Is that for relics you hang at your home or donate to the museum?

Also, what do I do with spare relic copies? Sell them?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gato posted:

I'm pretty sure it's relics in your house, not the museum. It happened occasionally before but the latest patch seems to have massively increased the frequency.

Also relics make pretty great gifts, nearly all of them are someone's loved gift

That would make sense before I only just realized that you can use Relics as decoration (and that, more importantly, they give you stats) and similarly I just saw that relationship gain message for the first time ever. So they must be connected.

Although the question is...what the gently caress are all these people doing in my loving bedroom looking at my poo poo?!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When you sleep Mi-an watches you through the second floor window.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was a mod that would let me hold the attack button and it would mash for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's definitely at the very least the best game in the genre, IMO.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My absolute biggest complaint about Portia was, I quote, "every character needs 10 times more writing." and I never expected that they would actually do it, but god drat they sure did.
Everything else is just cream on top.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are you supposed to be able to fix this with a Feather Duster?

I have never been able to make a feather duster to work on that. I have to pick up the machines and place them back down to get rid of that icon.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rian always has easy wood commissions available but he's always asleep when I seek him out to deliver them.

I'm having to barge into him bedroom behind his wife's back to wake him up by giving him my wood, every time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Horses...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In case I'm not the only one too stupid to understand it right away:

If you buy an items that unlocks a Tab feature (planting kit, camera, horse whistle, construction kit, etc) then you can sell it right away after unlocking the feature. You don't need to keep it.

To protect yourself in a sandstorm you only need the headgear in your apparel slot, you don't need to actually equip it.

You can move farm plots via the house editor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I keep reading about ‘delaying’ the main quest so you can stock up etc.

I haven’t made a lift yet, so is it possible for me to just stock up on basics before moving forward? I remember the first definitely always feeling some pressure to get things done quickly or someone would snipe it out from under you.

You could but main story progress gives you access to new tools/materials that in turn make you more efficient, so personally I don't see the point.

I'm "only" 40 hours in, but so far I've been spending my money/resources liberally and it feels like that was the right way to go.
When I don't have the resources to finish a mission/commission I just buy it somewhere and then continue re-investing the rewards, and always come out positive out of the exchange in one way or another.

If I had to give any other piece of advise is to always have your machines running. If you don't need to build anything in particular then build whatever you have the least of. You'll need that stuff eventually so you might as well prepare it in advance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can buy 5-10 units of water every day for basically nothing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A good fifth of my workshop space is dedicated to dew collectors and what they produce is just a drop in the bucket compared to how much water I use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think I need to have a talk with Heidi. What the gently caress is this?

Talorat posted:

What exactly is the negative effect of the sandstorm, I could never figure that out so I just never bothered to equip sand gear

Dunno, it feels like it makes me run slower.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I found them for the first time yesterday.
They are hovering 5 meters above ground.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just successfully grown some trees outside the Gecko Station. Roughly how far into the main story am I?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

About 35-40%ish

Megazver posted:

It's a long-rear end game. If you're thinking "surely that's close to the end", it's not close to the end, lol.

Good. Sounds like it's gonna be a roughly 100 hour trip.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't usually like using mods that heavily change the intended game mechanics the first time I play through a game but I'm this close to installing the polyamory mod...
It's just so hard to choose.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh! Now I understand why Catori kept walking into the Museum through the roof. It's because upgraded Museum has a second door there and the game got confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Intentional or a happy accident?