Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Picked this up and I'm enjoying myself so far, although I just completed the rat dungeon and it was the most boring tedious slog on the planet through awful button mash combat, really hoping it isn't indicative of combat for the whole game!

Quick question: what rate should I be churning up data disks? I've got the tier 2 furnace but no recipes that need any of these fancy new ores, and the disk requests are getting huge (ie: 10 disks to start the research, 10-20 additional disks to speed it up) which makes me feel like I should be drowning in these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alright, cool. I just handed over ten disks for the first time and the research time jumped up to four days, so I was worried it was a hint I was supposed to be speeding up research. Will continue to focus on upgrading these piece of poo poo base level furnaces.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: the Church sent me a lovely letter calling me a heretic for firing my poison gun. :nallears:

Kinda confused by the church narrative. Nora and Leo are remarkably civil with me given they're preaching a stridently anti-technology stance and I just moved in to set up an industrial workshop, and a majority of the town also seems to be believers as well despite slapping commissions for civil cutters on the job board. It feels as though there's supposed to be this undercurrent of the pro-tech vs the anti-tech in the city - you even have the research lab and church on opposite ends of town at very contrasting height levels to visually reinforce this - but there just... kinda isn't? Nobody seems all that miffed that I just supplied the town with five busses, bus stops, and electric lighting. idk maybe it gets fleshed out later in the story but the whole theme seems really unbaked right now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mordiceius posted:

If you talk to people (especially Nora/Lee) during some of those quests, especially the Dee-Dee Transport ones, the complain endlessly about the mayor adopting this technology. This comes up even more in the Ack questline too.

Ah, there you go. I only talked to them after I threw all the new stuff up, so I guess I didn't get to see that dialogue. Fair enough.

Rynoto posted:

The church isn't necessarily anti-research and technology - they're just afraid of the weapons that led to the annihilation of the former society. The entire reason they want your discs is to try and make sure no one ever rediscovers the technology required to build automatons and their weapons. It's why they're totally chill with you using the found research to build things and make people's lives better but also super wary when you start using the tech for fighting.

I find it funny that they apparently have the omniscience to know I fired my gun off a few times in the sewer dungeon and write me a mean letter, but are apparently unaware I've been pumping more guns out to gift to Sam. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cythereal posted:

And you can marry Nora. Wonder how that's supposed to work...

She hums to herself while fertilizing the crops, pretending she can't see you across the yard cranking out guns and ammo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of gifting, are there any universal or near-universal liked gifts I can crank out to start befriending most of the populace Stardew-style?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Awesome, thanks. I'll start remembering to stockpile. I assume they're not something you can grow?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I expected the Dee Dee requests to be a grind but I got all the small engines I needed in a couple dungeon runs. Was a pleasant surprise.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So should I not be turning all of my carbon steel right around into steel plates? Seemingly everything needs them right now so I've got three industrial furnaces working full time on carbon steel, and three cutters churning out steel plates.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'll add it to the list. Right now I've got an issue where I really need to just take a couple days and stockpile a ton of wood and ores, wood in particular since the new furnaces chew through it like nothing else. Getting them isn't hard, it's just time consuming. Wood in particular since I have to run around the map.

I'm slowly converting my civil furnaces to industrials, although the bloodstone requirement is killing me. They seem to only drop from every fifth large quarry rock. :argh: I also just unlocked the advanced skiver so I need to start pumping those out too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Does your child actually grow up or do anything or is it just a lump that sits in a crib for all eternity like most games in the genre?

A Wonderful Life had a lot of issues but one feature I really enjoyed in it was that because the game had timeskips, your child would actually grow up and help around the farm later on or go off and find a job doing what they liked based on who they hung around with as a child. It was cool and made it feel like you were building an actual relationship with your kid, to the point that it's soured me on having kids in any of the other HM genre games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp, waste deep in the desert bridge quest. I thought I had enough Carbon Steel stockpiled. I was wrong. :shepicide:

Also tempering fluid has become a serious bottle neck what with each bridge tower needing 18 of them between clay + glass. I can get about 20 of them doing a run of levels 1-3 of the sewer dungeon, but that takes 11 in game hours and is 20 minutes of incredibly tedious and repetitive "combat". FFS just let me buy this poo poo at the Tool shop, even if it is overpriced.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

socialsecurity posted:

You can send the Civil corp out to get it for you, there's a board in their office. It's cheaper if you give them more time to grab it but a full run they come back with quite a bit.

:dance:

Holy poo poo thank you so much. QoL just went up immensely.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've been doing the inspections and passing then with decent regularity. Really need to get some magnifying glasses at some point for the absolute bullshit ones though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh I'm aware, and 99% of flaws so far are definitely noticeable once you look at the object enough. But there are handful of flaws that are incredibly subtle. I only have to use a magnifying glass once every weekend between both days of inspections, but when I do it's for something that I never would have noticed no matter how much I rotated or zoomed.

In other news, there's a new #1 workshop in town, eat poo poo Higgins. :smugdog: Maybe you could keep up if you bothered to have more than two furnaces.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just keep research up. You'll eventually get the furnace that lets you smelt aluminum. I think it's a 20 disk research.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the comprehensive grinder/cutter are a huge help. There's a particular stretch of quests where it feels like you need to make something like 20-30 bearings, which are 4 tin alloy a pop without the comprehensive grinder.

Saxophone posted:

Also, not a HUGE deal, but I kind of wish the electric furnace allowed me to make all the rest of the metals at slightly reduced times like the other furnaces do. It feels weird having a few different types of furnaces kicking around. That said, I'm on the wind turbine quest and oofa I'm gonna need faster aluminum production.

I have six electric furnaces on a constant burn: three each making one of the two types of aluminum. This has kept me solidly in the black wrt aluminum production for both the main quest and my own requirements. If you start to have condensed power stone issues (six electric furnaces + a couple comprehensive machines is pretty hungry) remember you can buy ten regular power stones a day from the tool shop, and the register in the lab turns four regular into one condensed, so you functionally buy five condensed power stones every two days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I had my first real :smugdog: moment - even more so than surpassing Higgins in the rankings which felt like an inevitability - when the research lab mailed me the diagram for the lighthouse beacon with the caveat of "oh man this is a really complex materials-wise!" and I had enough high end materials in storage to make five of them if I wanted to.

Kinda wondering how long the game can keep going before the main quest runs its course and I'm left with commissions and befriending the populace. Petra isn't taking any more of my research disks which I assume means I've unlocked everything, and I'm flush with every high-end material my machines say they can make besides titanium.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I literally never fished until winter of year one when somebody put up an S rank commission for an emperor fish and I took it because I'm an idiot. Seems like a good way to make money but it's also pretty time consuming.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just fished on Starlight Isle and found two king fish worth 5K a pop. :stare: Is this normal or did I get extremely lucky? Because if it's even semi-regular that's a gigantic revenue stream.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:siren: End gameish (I think) mechanics spoilers :siren:

I got the factory, and I'm trying to figure out how the thing works. I get that you put machines on it, each machine provides units of production capacity for a given type of production, and it's all centrally powered. Have some questions though:

1. It looks like the factory doesn't pull from my storage boxes the way the worktable does, which come the gently caress on. I see it has it's own storage container, but if I put stuff in there then the worktable outside can't pull from it. :wtc: Please tell me I'm missing something, and/or there is some kind of unified storage mod that fixes this, because as it looks now it's a baffling design decision.

2. Is there a way to set how much production capacity you want an order to use for speed purposes? As an example if I create one order of 100 steel bars, it will smelt them one at a time and use 1 smelter production, even though 40 is available. Meanwhile if I do 20 orders of 20 bars, production increases 20 fold and I *still* have excess production. It'd seems obvious there would be an option to set an order like "100 bars, use 20/40 available smelter capacity". As it stands creating a lot of mini orders definitely seems like the way to go, but it's time consuming and tedious to queue them all up.

3. The factory seems to change a lot of recipes to use more base level products. Quality leather using rainbow flowers instead of pigments, a lot of metal products that needed bars now just needing ores, etc. Does this mean I should be keeping around some additional non-factory production machines so I can split production? Or should I just spend a couple days stockpiling a metric ton of raw resource and let the factory do all my production forever off it?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks. I'm still not thrilled about the storage split since there are some things I still want to craft by hand at the regular workbench, since it's instant vs the small timelag of having the factory do it. The other stuff is definitely helpful though, thanks for clarifying the raws thing. I'll try to find the production tree to get a feel for what I should be dropping in the box.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's also a skill in the first tier of the social tree that you can max out pretty quickly and gives a 20% payout boost for commissions as well as additional ranking points. Helps you get off your feet quicker and cut into the ranking deficit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Higgins also never picks up commissions on Sat/Sun, even if the board has some because of story events. It's sometimes worth it to take a middle tier story commission on the weekend and save a high paying one you know he would take for Monday when you can snatch it from under his nose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Catching Higgins is an inevitability as long as you don't slack on building. Take a commission every day and make sure you're completing the story ones at a decent pace. Even with a few gently caress ups - such as having to abandon a commission for a Pot of Asteria because I found out only after that the game had screwed me and the commission was literally uncompletable at my current place in the plot :argh: - I had eeked ahead of Higgins by Autumn and had blown him out of the water for the yearly rankings come Winter's end.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One thing the game doesn't explain well is that if you don't constantly have the research center cooking then you'll probably hit a wall for main quest progression. Always have disks to give to Petra.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One thing I will say really bothers me about the factory is that the auto assembly platform can't construct from base products if no intermediary ones are available, like the factory can with pretty much everything else. It's dumb and means I have to ultimately spend more time between starting an assembly, stopping it because I don't have the all the stuff, opening the factory and building that stuff, taking it out of delivery storage once finished to put into production storage, then restarting assembly and waiting because it's not instant like assembling by hand.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like how Higgins hates you so much that (end-game spoilers) he apparently lets your dad use his workshop for free, for days, just because he wants to see you lose the builder bout.

Speaking of your dad, I enjoy how the game gives you dialogue options during that whole episode to adequately reflect the player's feelings - that you don't really give a poo poo about him and the builder battle lacks any intended emotional resonance because he's been absent from the entire game and too much of the main character's life to earn it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The crystal requirement for Titanium is loving horseshit. At least when recipes suddenly demanded poplar and purple resin there were a billion trees you can go hack down to get the required amount, once you know what trees to look for. With crystal the game just punches you in the dick. "What, you haven't been growing 2-3 crystal trees for at least a couple months now? Too bad because there's only 3-4 nodes in the entire map that respawn twice a week if you're lucky, unless you want to run the stupid loving ghost cave for a couple extra nodes!"

Carbon Fiber at least you can get from civil corps commissions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zesty posted:

I thought you could get crystal from nodes around amber island.

And the collapsed wasteland.

Right. There are at most 2 nodes on Amber Island at any given time, and two nodes in the Collapsed Wasteland. Each give around 2-4 crystals, and only respawn every three days or so. So with the absolute best luck you can about 16 crystal every three days, which is enough for 5 titanium bars.

You need 90 bars to beat the final quest.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's really not that hard to make fertilizer though? You can put in a couple commissions for mucus at the civil corps for cheap and have plenty, you'll be drowning in animal bones after a couple Llama killing sprees, and you can get about 15-16 feces a day by running a circuit of the field behind your house + the grazing areas at the Ranch. Llamas and Mr. Ladybugs also drop it fairly regularly.

I've got three of each type of tree and eight regular planter boxes I keep stocked with cotton and rainbow flowers, and have had no issues supplying steady fertilizer. :shrug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I definitely wish the final house upgrade gave more space. It's a huge mansion looking thing by the final upgrade from the outside but then you go inside and it's three rooms and a lovely attic upstairs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FWIW there are tons of mods that are essentially cheatmenus, you could always grab one and spawn the master rod, then disable the mod.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's a Nexus page for Portia. It's mostly cheaty stuff but there's others as well. The only mod I have is one that makes the Flying Pig significantly faster and take less stamina, which definitely feels like cheating but OTOH by that time you've basically already beaten the game and are just spinning your wheels for 100% completion so gently caress it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He does end up in prison. For pretty much the remainder of the main story he's in the jail cell in the civil corps building.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You cannot.

Reason why: She vanishes for a decent chunk of the story for plot reasons, then after the main plot wraps up she leaves the town.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The kickstarter mentions some updates to combat although apparently it's still going to remain "simple." While I'm not asking for Devil May Cry here, I really do hope they do something with dungeons and combat so it's not just running down a corridor and smashing left click over and over until everything is dead and you're half way to carpal tunnel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What pulls me back to Portia - and keeps me playing - is the extensive visible change and improvement to the town. Stardew has a little of that but it's all backloaded to the endgame. Meanwhile in Portia your growth is also the town's growth: you go from doing tiny commissions to building the town a public transit system, a lighthouse, and a big fancy bridge, among other things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also another tip to prepare for late game: get some crystal trees up and start socking away the crystals. There's a specific late game material you're going to need to make a ton of that out of nowhere needs crystals, after pretty much nothing progression-related required them, and it can absolutely blindside your momentum you if you don't have a pre-existing stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there any sense yet of how far along in early access the game is? If it's at the state Portia is when I bought it: story is largely finished, you can play to the intended end, but it's still missing stuff around the edges like voice acting and all the character events then I'll pick it up. But if it's at the state where the main story is still unfinished and they intend to add in more core mechanics, I might hold off for now.