Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It's like Harvest Moon and Stardew without the farming but a fuckton more crafting chains. You do most of the same stuff. Chop trees. Mine ore. Make friends with the townsfolk. Get married and have children. The only difference is you're not the town farmer. You're the town's craftsman.

It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world that experienced hundreds of years of fallout... in an independent city on the edge of an antagonistic empire. The game looks cutesy and fun but all the background lore is dark and foreboding.

:steam: Available on Steam. :steam:

quote:

Key Features

BUILD YOUR WORKSHOP: Build your Pa's derelict workshop into the best in Portia! Gather resources and craft your way into the hearts of the local community, as you work through daily commissions and villager requests.

RUN YOUR OWN FARM: Grow and nurture your own crops, raise animals and convert the empty woodland surrounding your workshop into a quaint little farm! My Time at Portia offers an innovative approach to farming, allowing you to take advantage of planter boxes and semi-automatic irrigation systems. You can even take your horse or llama out for a ride around the town!

GET CREATIVE: Make your house a home! Apply your personal touch with an exciting range of craftable furniture, decorations and workshop upgrades. Not only will it look great, but each piece will add stat boosts to your character!

JOIN THE COMMUNITY: Become a part of Portia's extraordinary community! Filled with a vibrant cast of unforgettable faces all with energetic personalities, daily routines and exciting stories to share. They go to work, have dinner in restaurants, exercise and interact with each other in lots of interesting ways - make sure you take the time to get to know them all! Who knows, maybe romance could be in the air?

EXPLORE AND BATTLE: Delve deep into the ancient ruins and dungeons of Portia. Grab your pickaxe and Relic Scanner and mine for resources and treasures from the past. Make sure that you equip a weapon, there’s hordes of fearsome monsters and deadly bosses that stand between you and that precious loot!

SKILL UP: Level up your character with a variety of skills to aid you in your adventures. Decide on whether to boost your crafting, combat or social skills depending on your play style.

AND THERE’S MORE: My Time at Portia has something for everyone! Find and explore new lands, take part in regular in-game festivals and many other activities it’s up to you how you spend your time. Why not hone your culinary skills and cook up some tasty food? Take on one of the many mini-games? Or perhaps just kick back and spend the afternoon fishing? The choice is yours!

Looking for similar games?
The Life Sims Megathread
Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons Thread
Stardew Valley thread

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've died outside and I've just been teleported back to my home. I don't think my entire day was reset.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Antoine really stood out to me very early in my playtime. And then he talks about how much the furniture guy is dreamy. It's a nice world we live in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It absolutely wasn't clear to me until now that I have to buy my expanded inventory right from inside my inventory.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have a bunch of tiny chests on my homestead to hold all my crap. I hope that situation improves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Holy. Shitballs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
ok.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My controller will sometimes rumble when I'm running over specific spots in the overworld. Does anyone know what that's for?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

a7m2 posted:

Is it worth waiting for this to come out on Switch (would love the portability) or should I just get it on PC now (better graphics maybe, mods maybe, instant gratification)?

This game will not be coming to consoles anytime soon. It needs a lot of polish.

Having said that, I've played 20 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. I feel like I've only just begun still.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I want this :catdrugs: cat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can confirm that Carol does not like being given Animal Feces.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What should I be prioritizing with my skill tree?

My GUESS is

-Extra loot from monsters and Crit Damage in Combat. (12 points)
-Drill Damage in Gather. (9 points)
-Just everything in the social tree related to raising friendship with everyone. (34 points?)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If I had played more of the game before making the thread, I would have made the title something along the lines of "Re-Gifting Simulator"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Connoisseur posted:

Something that took a while for me to notice was that you can access any chest from a single one. There are arrows next to the chest name at the top and it lets you pick whichever chest you want and take items. For example, you can put an empty chest next to the assembly station and pick from anywhere in your storage if you can stomach using the dropdown menu every time. The list is not completely alphabetized for me for some reason, which is an annoyance.

I play on a controller. The triggers switch chests quickly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The lack of voice acting in parts is... jarring.

The only voice they have for female characters is also VERY australian... or british. I don't know. Either way it's very cheap and awkward sounding. I tried to google who it was and got a BUNCH of articles about how the devs neglected to pay the voice actors until very recently.

Since the game just got officially announced for Switch, I imagine all of that will be filled in sooner rather than later.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought I might've accidentally acupunctured. Yeah, seems like it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There are now 3 options for Female Character voices, up from 1 when I created the thread.

There doesn't seem to be a way to change your own. :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Holy cow, people give you presents on your birthday

Like, a lot of them, if you've made friends

So theoretically?

:goonsay:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Game is cool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I started a new playthrough because some options weren't available for character creation and I was only in fall anyway. I also wanted to get the "Build all 5 Dee-Dee Transports" achievement.

All the other materials were no problem to stockpile because I actually knew what I was doing. But I got almost no Small Engine drops. I was getting rather frustrated with it because the commissions were up and I was only able to complete 3 of them but then I realized I only need to get 4 completed and then just take the last one.

Got a small engine drop during the Raining Gifts festival. :unsmith:

My steam account is linked in my profile if you're the kind of person who also likes to compare achievements.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

kloa posted:

That’s a lotta poop upkeep :eyepop:

I imagine! Not my screenshot so I wouldn't know. My first playthrough only got to the end of fall and my second is only starting Summer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" › Stardew Valley - im gay and you can be gay in this and theres plants

Got that from a Steam review.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Disappointing Pie posted:

Alright Where do you find springs? The book says the ruins but I’ve dug for 3 days and found everything but springs.

Ruins #2 has them.

They also drop from some mobs in the Hazardous Ruins.

Edit: Beaten. Sorry. Left browser open all day.

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's also a character that straight up without warning fucks off outta the game if you marry them. Just leaves you a vague letter.

Who's that (in spoiler tags)?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 30, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:wtc:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Alright. I'll ask. What's Praxis?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's getting better. 3 characters and 2 new lady player voices were added in the last patch.

I saw a complaint that Remington's voice was too black but Petra had a nice "normal" voice. :what: People are the worst.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 30, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Panfilo posted:

Sam has an actual normal sounding voice

:nallears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bramble posted:

Holy poo poo, when you're looking inside a storage chest in your yard theres a little banner at the top of the screen that lets you switch to any storage chest on your property without having to run around and interact with them or even leave the inventory screen!!

I've mentioned it before, but if you use a controller (I use an XBOX One controller), you can use the triggers to switch to the next box quickly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They have different items.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fhqwhgads posted:

I guess I'll be grinding the first ruin for a while. I want that monument.

Sounds good but if you don't need anything else there, maybe consider waiting until you get the relic scanner upgrade. It shows you the shape of the items before you go digging for them and increases the range of view to something like 30-35 meters.

The upgrade is unlocked by progressing the main story to a certain point. I'm not exactly sure where that point is, but I got it around the end of the first Summer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Well this is awkward.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The social tree seems kind of meh. Drill/Chainsaw damage will be good when I finally get it. All I want in the combat tree is the final melee crit damage one. Will probably drop a point on identifying fish.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From the Discord

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

Picked this up and I'm enjoying myself so far, although I just completed the rat dungeon and it was the most boring tedious slog on the planet through awful button mash combat, really hoping it isn't indicative of combat for the whole game!

Quick question: what rate should I be churning up data disks? I've got the tier 2 furnace but no recipes that need any of these fancy new ores, and the disk requests are getting huge (ie: 10 disks to start the research, 10-20 additional disks to speed it up) which makes me feel like I should be drowning in these things.

I don't speed it up and never run out of data disks. But I also go grab relics from time to time so they just accumulate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cuddle animation always looks cute with any character.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can't find springs? Hazardous Ruins in the Collapsed wasteland has enemies that drop them and you can find them in Abandoned Ruins 2.

edit: I got Planet Explorers years ago and it was really bad.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

So should I not be turning all of my carbon steel right around into steel plates? Seemingly everything needs them right now so I've got three industrial furnaces working full time on carbon steel, and three cutters churning out steel plates.

Steel frames take bars.

I say keep a fair amount of plates on hand. No less than 20. Otherwise leave as bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Turning hardwood into regular wood is also a good source of it.