Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at day 7 and incredibly gol poor, I really need that land extension :saddowns:

As you do more commissions, that fixes itself. Try to plug away at one commission a day if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You really are limited to one, right, or did (gently caress) Higgins open the tap :v:

This isn't well explained, but you can have one "normal" commission each day. Story commissions (the ones you get a quest for) are independent of that entirely. You can have one story commission at a time, but can, for instance, turn in all 5 transports in one day by going back and grabbing the commission 5 times.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, you can do more than one a day now? Wasn't like that in Early access.

You can always do one normal commission every day (from the group of four that show up at ~8am and one is taken by Higgins at ~8:30am)

You can also, in addition to the normal commission, accept one story commission (one for which you have a quest, like the transports, or bridges, or whatever) at a time, and you can turn in multiple story commissions in one day. This means that you can turn in all 5 transports in one day so long as you accept each one individually, turn it in, then go grab the next one and repeat the process.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I definitely think it's getting time to upgrade the house.

Granted, it's also worth upgrading because you've long since maxed out the bonuses that your furniture gives, and upgrading the house increases the cap for those bonuses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you mean real starter, like first hour or two, turn your buttload of rock into stone stools and sell them.

Granted, turning stone into wood at the architect shop (back of the store to the left of the commission area) is a really good use of early stone since it saves on tree chopping.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Higgins also never picks up commissions on Sat/Sun, even if the board has some because of story events. It's sometimes worth it to take a middle tier story commission on the weekend and save a high paying one you know he would take for Monday when you can snatch it from under his nose.

You can do multiple story commissions in one day, as well as one "standard" commission each day (4 are posted, and you can take one - Higgins will take one at around 8:30 or so). You can only have one story commission and one standard commission at a time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty sure you can have one story commission of each arc - I had a commission for a dee-dee and one for street lights at the same time.

Neat! I hadn't tested that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i might be wrong but i think it has to be the exact specific item they want, even if there's alternatives that are basically the same thing

Check the farm store. Most quests that award/require blueprints sell the blueprint in the corresponding store for exactly your situation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think the best fishing spot that I've seen is the desert oasis fishing location. You get lovely salmon (30 each), but then also gladiator fish (280) and wise fish (320), which means you're pretty constantly getting fish that are worth quite a bit. The fishing spot next to the first hazardous ruins is a good early spot until the desert is unlocked. Are there better spots in the future?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Kynseed is an absolute disappointment and the legacy system is completely useless, yeah. All it has going for it is the pretty aesthetics.

+1 though on eagerly awaiting the 1.0 release of Sandrock.

For actual GoodGames in the genre I've really been enjoying Dinkum still as properly building out the town is great fun.

I feel like Kynseed is close to being really good.

The biggest thing holding it back is that the characters are really dull and randomly generated. If they took the approach of cutting down the number of NPCs in the world at any given time and then rotated a static and well-crafted cast of NPCs out as they die and are born, they could have fleshed them out more and made them a lot more interesting.

The years also need to be a lot shorter, and the aging needs to be faster if the legacy mechanic is ever going to do anything.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So a couple things to note:

1. If you have the DLC, get your pet ASAP - you can send it out to get materials for you daily, which is nice.
2. When ordering food, you can get more than one thing from each category. Stacking up a bunch of expensive stuff can give you a ton of stamina back, and even stacking up a bunch of cheap stuff can get you a decent amount without breaking the bank. You can eat twice a day, and it's very much worth refilling your stamina that way if you have the time to go around and gather.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

Anyone know what the breakpoints are for donating food for the dance off are? Or even if the game cares at all about donating more than one "food"?

On a related note, I Fixed the moisture farm on the same day that the dance off was announced. So I fixed the machine and Zeke thanked me, then they had a big town fireside meeting where they talked about how to live without the moisture farm. So that was funny.

I have no idea - I just went over to the bar and bought a bunch of rice and flour, then went to the general store and bought sandberries. I think I donated 20, 20, and then 12 to max it out on the first day.

Also had the same thing happen with the moisture farm. It was hilarious to have everyone freaking out while the farm was out of commission for like a day.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gift decay is really silly for animals. In my experience, dogs are super happy to receive the same treat over and over every day for their entire lives.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Yeah but it’s perfectly on-brands for cats though.

Yes, but cats are assholes by nature.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Haha waiting for a good horse + forgetting I had a stable is why I didn't mount a horse until last month. I still am not in the habit of it but it's definitely gonna become one.

Make sure you buy and use the mount whistle. After that you can ditch it in a box somewhere and you can call your horse with Tab.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I'm the guy who ran all over the desert fighting kangaroo jacks, penguin dogs, and gathering weird resources on foot. I made a spare Yakmel Station part of my everyday carry lol

You can leave the station back in a chest and deploy it from there.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I am now wondering how much of what I carry needs to be carried at all lol. Do I even need my weapons in my inventory??

Hotbar items, gifts, ammunition/bait.

On an unrelated note, I am always amused by the inspection process on Sat/Sun. So many of the models are, well, frankly quite dirty and scrapped together from scrap. So it's hilarious when the inspection is like "Oh, this smudge? Yeah, not part of the design, gotta flag it. But this massive rust patch? That's fine. It's part of the design. Gotta make sure you've got that rusty, dirty scrap for this project!"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Daztek posted:

My archenemy is clay

Go stop by the pottery store regularly. She sells clay and bloodstone.

Similarly, for folks with mineral issues, you can buy minerals from the salvagers, and you can buy bars from the weaponsmith.

Money is pretty easy come easy go, so it's worth it to spend the time doing more productive tasks and then just spend the money.

Also, I finally figured out sandfishing. The trick is pretty simple:

1. Scatter bait at points far away from each other (if the arena is a circle, put them at the edges of a roughly equilateral triangle relatively far apart). I like to use 3 bait at once, but you can use more. The trick here is that bait causes fish to spawn, so by throwing more bait, you get more fish to spawn. You want the baits far from each other because catching fish scares nearby fish. This way other fish can approach the other bait while you are catching fish at one of the points.
2. Wait for more than one fish to jump onto a piece of bait, then catch them all at once. The highlighted circle is where you can catch fish. Fish that are green will be able to be caught.
3. Upgrade your tools! A rarer fish basket has a larger radius!

Actually, for that last point, upgrade everything with the refiner. Your machines get bonuses like extra production or increased speed (or reduced fuel/water costs, but meh). Equipment becomes far stronger (I don't bother upgrading armor, just weapons and tools that I will use frequently).

Edit: Also, there's an ore refiner that lets you break down excess minerals into gems. It's very useful to get more bloodstone and the like from stone.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

take a couple of days every week to skip the commissions

Heresy! Nothing shall slow the inevitable progress of the factory! All of the commissions, all of the time! More funds for more resources for more things to get more funds for more resources for...

That being said, I do occasionally not do requests when they would run me short on a critical resource. Right now my bottleneck is simple circuits due to too many switchboard requests, so I'm holding off on those until I build my stockpile back up. One of the nice things about farming once you're able to is the ability to take the food-based jobs on page 2. They help to lighten the load on the industrial resources while still maintaining that delicious income and progress.

Edit: As for machinery, I keep 6 recyclers and 3 forges pretty much running flat-out. The recyclers do a really good job of lightening the load of the forges - you can get a lot of forgeable stuff from scrap that is quite helpful. I do have 3 of the other processing machines as well, but I run them less frequently and generally tend to just make sure that I have a stock built up so that I can instantly fulfill commissions and then restock as necessary.

I did build up to that over time though - I started off with 2-3 recyclers, then slowly ramped that up as I got access to more salvage. Once I started paying for salvage to be delivered daily, I had to ramp up further, and I'm actually tempted to go up to 8 or 9 recyclers at this point to start chewing through the backlog.

Edit 2: I really like Venti as a pairing for the builder. Mi-An has her own company. Venti comes from a poor background where she didn't have the opportunity to study to become a builder. She works as a salvager, enjoys helping people, and has a line about how salvagers and builders tend to fall for one another because their work is closely related. In my opinion it's a fantastic thing where her interests dovetail with the builder's nicely, as she happily supports your company's operations, gets to learn more about building, and gets to contribute directly to helping people out in the way that she wants to.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 9, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I just read the description of the avocado. It's described as "juicy." If your avocado is juicy, I think several things are wrong.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So funny thing I just found out. Whether or not you can walk normally in sandstorms depends entirely on whether your character model has the appropriate gear on. So you can wear whatever you want, but your currently displayed outfit must have a sand protecting item. It's very silly. So even if you're wearing a hazmat suit that normally protects from the elements, if your displayed clothing doesn't have the right hat on, you will still shield your eyes from the sand.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It finally just clicked for me how Justice's right hand man got his name. I expect there'll be some dialogue spelling it out in more detail later.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

unsuur is surprisingly charming.

Yeah, the guy's been growing on me for a while. He also has some good puns that can be a bit subtle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So apparently you can upgrade your stable through the build menu. Not sure why you would? Maybe you could have 6 mounts or something?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zeron posted:

My god, Pen is just Kronk. Gotta say, they really hit it out of the park with this game. There's some weak points like the skill tree, but it's just such a smooth experience compared to Portia and as a sequel it's a huge improvement. There's so many little side quests and events too, it makes the characters really stand out.

I definitely agree. It's not perfect, and there are areas that can definitely be improved, but the game is incredibly fun. The inventory management (or lack thereof) on its own is downright amazing and makes the gameplay so much smoother.

Also, I really enjoy Venti's character. She's not around for too much of the direct story, but her arc of coming from a poor background and working her way up doing manual labor in order to help people is great. And then she meets the builder, and leaps at the chance to have everything that she's ever wanted.

(spoilers for the romance arc and general thoughts on the character)
I love that she's the one who makes the first move - she'll actually ask you directly to date her, and even propose to you (her proposition is adorable, by the way). And then when you do get married, she is apparently the best helper of all the spouses by a fairly large margin (various spouses will help with different tasks and will only do a certain number of them - Venti will do all of them and has the most points to split up). And that makes sense - she loves scrapping because it's a way to turn salvage into things to help people. And now she gets to work with this awesome person who is taking the salvage that she and her coworkers create, and turning it into bridges and signs and transportation and buildings and everything else. And she is a part of that effort now! She gets to say that she helped to do those things by keeping everything running in the background and freeing the builder to focus more on building things. And she gets to work with the builder and (presumably, though not reflected by game mechanics) learn to work the machines and maintain them and upgrade them and help out with building stuff.

And on top of all of that, she now has a home and a family and a place that she belongs. And she's right next to the salvage yard where her mentor and coworkers are. It just works out so nicely for everyone involved. Most of the other marriage candidates have their own thing going on and it feels like they're giving up some portion of their life to join the builder. For Venti it's a natural fit (and she does mention that scrappers and builders frequently get together, which makes sense).

Now, if I could only get her to stop spamming me every minute or so that she has, yet again, taken everything out the processing machines, I would be incredibly happy. I only really need her help with the dew catchers and the animals anyway (seriously, it saves SO much animation time), though I will admit that she has stopped me from leaving without grabbing the commission items from the cooker or the forge on multiple occasions.

Edit: On a completely different side note - holy poo poo does rain give you so much water. Like just an unbelievable amount of water. You're practically out there emptying the rain catchers every 2-3 in-game hours.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

You can turn off helper notifications in the menu where you assign them.

Thank you so much. There's a lot of UI elements that are poorly explained.

Is there a way to have running be the default and hold shift to walk? I've found that you can use shift to toggle run/walk

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

All I could wish for at this point is the emergent behavior you used to see in the Sims where characters would get in these jealousy slap fights because they all want to play skee ball at the players house with them at 6am.

Now that my builder's relationships with the townsfolk are getting higher, I frequently see 5-6 NPCs in the morning all wanting to hang out. It's hilarious, because morning is when I am the busiest, setting all the machines to run, refilling the generators, etc. etc. If they swung by at like 10am, then there'd probably be a lot more time available.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I put one point in each weapon to unlock the combos.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

What should I do with the tools I'm not using due to upgrading? Gift them? Same question for clothes. Should I store those just to keep them available as visual options?

Also, is it a problem to ignore gifting for now? I imagine it'll be easier later once I have higher-tier stuff and can freely buy things without caring much about money. I'm still talking to people any time I see them and fulfilling these wishes that just started popping up.

They belong in a museum! (In all seriousness, you can donate them to the museum and you do get rewards based on donating stuff, so it's not a bad call to do so. Stuff that can be donated states what type of exhibit it fits in on the tooltip)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah eventually you'll get a letter from Rocky (hard hat guy who runs the salvage shop) telling you that they're willing to start shipping you salvage under contract, at which point you can go into the salvage company office and interact with his desk which lets you pay gols to get daily shipments of scrap for the recyclers, as well as some power stones and relics. Then much later on they'll update you again saying you can also get shipments of ores dropped off as well.

As a heads up for this contract and any other similar contracts - the game's UI sort of lies to you.

Make a change to the contract (move the sliders around), then back out and open up the menu again. That'll tell you what changes actually went through. The UI doesn't update dynamically in some situations, so doing those steps will save you some headache.

Another useful thing to do is to zero everything, back out, then open the UI up again, and it'll be easier to set the values you want that way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Oh wow is the factory quite good. I saw people whining about it online, but the scrap that had been accumulating in my inventory is disappearing rapidly and being replaced with sweet (but outdated) resources. Also very convenient to order up whatever you need and just have it made in one central location without having to manually split up the queue.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Well, I feel like an idiot. Large Storage Boxes have two pages of storage each. That does explain why it was getting hard to find certain items.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

I've come to the conclusion I have no idea how gift decay works. Unless maybe all "neutral" gifts are on the same decay timer but liked and loved gifts each have their own timer? Maybe. I'm not sure that would account for all the weird values I've seen but it would help.

There's variance with gifting, as far as I can tell. Not sure exactly what causes it, but the same piece of rice can give one of the cats +0, +1, +2, or +3 depending on the day and the alignment of the spheres.

Edit: Finally finalized my factory/greenhouse (though I might move the buildings to merge them with the actual house). I put 50 advanced water collectors on the roofs, so I'm effectively getting 50 water per day. It's complete overkill, but also amuses me since the builder can basically just give the finger to any water restrictions on the grounds that he's got excess production capacity.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 14, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So I got a couple commissions that I didn't realize require Perfect things. I don't think this is possible for me right now? I made a Refiner, but it requires an item I haven't acquired yet (that I assume is the next tier of Quartz).

I respecced to get the skills that increase chance of higher quality Workshop items, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Tried crafting like 10 pots before reloading and not a single one was higher quality.

Guess I'm going to need to drop them, since I doubt I'll start getting the necessary item before the commission expires.

Edit: Jesus Christ, found this journal just talking about some Old World girl starving to death

If you're looking for bloodstone, then all you need is a bronze pickaxe, which you should have access to pretty early on. There are two types of rocks near your house - the closer ones are gravel. The further ones are greyish colored, and they drop marble and bloodstone. You can also buy clay/quartz/bloodstone from the pottery.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Megazver posted:

I only just bothered looking into furniture bonuses and I wish I did sooner. I mostly just plopped down whatever someone gave me for free somewhere inside the house and forgot about it. Turns out that sure, Defense and HP aren't that important to max out (IMO) but just by maxing out the furniture Attack bonus I doubled the damage I do to the monsters, which makes combat a lot less boring.

Neat thing - you can put furniture on a roof, then build a room on top of that roof (and furniture). This doesn't work on the ground floor, but will work for additional stories. It lets you hide some things like chests, as well as use ugly furniture that you want the bonuses of, but that you don't care to display. Also great for hiding an array of chests that you will access through the menus rather than open directly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think I need to build multiple of a number of machines. Currently the only one I have more than one of is the Furnace (which just has 2). I'll try adding more dew things.

How exactly do crop commissions work, given the time it takes for a plant to grow? Do they give you longer, or are you supposed to have a bunch of stuff prepared ahead of time?

Eventually you want to have a backlog of stuff for commissions and crafting. I would highly, highly recommend getting more recyclers, and more furnaces.

For the early-mid game, 3 furnaces, 2 of the processor/grinder, and 4ish recyclers is a good number, I would say. There's so much scrap available, and it breaks down into a lot of useful things. Also, the dregs you get out of the process are enough to run other machinery (not that energy is too big a concern - you can just mine up some power cells if it is), so it's pretty much always worth refining. At my mid-late point in the game (post Act 2 of 3), I have 6 recyclers, 6 furnaces, 3 grinders, 3 processors, 2 blenders, and a few scattered machines of other types. Leaving them idle is fine - they don't consume anything if they're not producing, but having the infrastructure available will allow you to be making whatever you need on demand.

One of the nice things to get is, strangely, copper scrap. It frees up your furnaces from making copper bars, which means you can focus more on bronze bars.

Also definitely make use of shops - you can buy the first 25 units or so of water super cheap from the water store, and it's worth buying out the cheap water as much as you can (it will take some time to fully restock, but you get 5-10 units of cheap water a day - keep in mind the price is for lots of 5, so it's like 10g per water). Clay/quartz is really good to get from the pottery as well, as clay is especially irritating to come by in certain parts of the game.

And, don't forget to eat! You can order up to 10 dishes at a time, and get up to around 200ish stamina from one meal for about 250g, or you can order super cheaply to get around 100ish stamina for a lot less. You can eat twice a day too, so it's a great way to fill out your stamina to keep harvesting.

And if you feel the days go by too quickly or slowly, change the time scale of the days. 0.6 will make the day take significantly longer, giving you more time to harvest resources.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Megazver posted:

I prefer to have two of each so if I run out of something, I can crank out the necessary amount twice as fast. But they don't run 24/7 like furnaces/recyclers.

This. I have spare capacity with 3 of 'em at a time, but when a new tier of materials unlocks, being able to spin them up and crank out what you need is great. Plus, having the extra capacity means that you can crank out lower end materials while building a stock of the new stuff.

It's a lot less important once you have a factory, since you can queue up and batch things more effectively, but it's very helpful to have that capacity when you need it.

Deki posted:

Man, I couldn't imagine having less than 2 grinders/processors. Even if you're not rushing the main missions, gotta multitask for that sweet money and Rep. Can't let Yan win, after all.

Dew collectors are cheap as hell to make, don't need to be checked every day, and are really quick to loot once you have a mount.

Plus, if you have them as the backbone of your water strategy, you can have your spouse handle sending your horde of pets out for random stuff, which automates that.

The only downside is the sheer amount of space they take up, but I have ~20, 4 of every kind of main machine, a stable, and a coffee plantation, and still have a ton of space open, with at least one more yard upgrade left.

I'm at the same housing expansion stage, so I put 50 dew collectors on the roof - 25 on the factory, 25 on the greenhouse. Since I can have my helper grab the stuff out of the machines for me, I don't physically need to access them at all.

Also, amusing glitch. You know how the game spawns NPCs around the town, and especially in front of city hall? Well, my builder's baby keeps showing up there, just laying in the middle of the square as happy as can be. The game should... probably have some logic to prevent that until the kid's old enough to walk, at least.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There's scrap all over the place around the salvage yard and to the side of the salvage yard. More scrap will spawn in as the story progresses, but even in the early game there should be piles of metal and wood around that can be broken apart for salvage.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Megazver posted:

I'm pretty sure all the town events share currency and the store. The dance stuff should be in there along with the Halloween stuff and the NYE stuff, etc.

Not quite - there are two types of town event - festivals and contests. Festivals give one currency, and contests the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ah, thank goodness for the hotfix finally letting me finish that stupid blue quest that was sitting in my inbox because I had the temerity to clear out a cave too early.