Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I started trying this game yesterday. A bit overwhelming, though this is likely because I have literally zero experience playing this genre of games (like Stardew or any sort of farming or Animal Crossing-like game). I feel like item management is definitely going to be A Thing, since I quickly filled my inventory with random poo poo just from walking around hitting random stuff with my axe and pickaxe. I think I saw someone else mention making a bunch of boxes to use for storage, so that definitely sounds like it'll help a bunch. Can you use stuff in storage when crafting, or do you need to manually withdraw it first?

Using the Chinese voices has been very novel. While I'm enjoying them and plan on keeping them on, I will never again condescend to people for not using the Japanese dub in games, even in games where I think it's much better. Having no idea what the characters are saying without reading the subtitles does add more of a mental "burden," while with Japanese stuff the subtitles were always just filling in the gaps in what I understood, so I didn't need to fully pay attention to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Everything in storage is considered to be in your inventory except tools, bait, and food. You also have to have an item on you to sell it at a shop and gift it.

You can craft, complete commissions, do requests, and operate machines just fine with everything else in chests. All chests are also linked to each other and can be cycled through from any one chest.

Oh, that's great to hear and will definitely simplify things greatly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

um, uh, p-please don't!?

So this game takes place in the distant future of the Xenoblade world. I guess it makes sense that Nia would pass away at some point, since she's already been around for so long.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This very early quest is asking me to make a crane. Where do I get "bearings" (and the mechanical scrap that allows me to produce them)? Previously it was mentioned that I'd have access to some place for 7 days, and I went to what I thought was the place in question and some guy said something about wild robots and wouldn't let me in.

I'm absolutely missing something very obvious here, but I don't know what.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rynoto posted:

You're in the right place, just wrong side. Go to the right side of that building and through THAT gate and mine the scrap. You'll get mechanical scrap that has a chance of recycling into bearings.

Wild robot gate is later.

Ah thanks, this explains the issue.

Is there any reason for me to worry about being "slow"? I read online that you can change the game speed, so I'm thinking about doing that at least until I get my bearings. It seems like the crane itself doesn't have a time limit, but the calendar still has events happening on specific dates.

(Speaking of the calendar, is there any way to change the month of your birthday during character creation? It seemed like I could only put it within a single month)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

Gifts definitely take more than a single day to recover from gift decay. I'm getting a lot more friendship points by waiting a full week before giving the same gift again. I don't know that you have to wait a full week, but that's what's working for me.

Monday - everybody gets a stone
Tuesday - everybody gets copper
Wednesday - everybody gets plant fiber
Thursday - nothing or a liked gift
Friday - second liked gift for Amira (she'll accept both clay pots and raw clay) I don't know what anyone else likes, and the game actively lies about it sometimes. Elsie very definitely doesn't like raw fish despite what the quest from Owen claims.

You invite your friend Amira over, but realize you forgot to erase the white board where you've solved the "rate of gift decay."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, I'm starting to see the appeal of this kind of game. Hours just disappeared in the blink of an eye last night.

I think that whatever update there was from a couple days ago improved the game's performance. Previously I was getting around 80-90fps, but now I seem to usually get 116 (which is basically 120 but with the NVidia latency boost thingy) and it rarely falls below 100.

I have no idea what to do in terms of giving people gifts, though. There are so many different items, and I know that I've probably only seen a small minority of them. Are there any items that make good "generic" gifts?

One other question - is there a good way to see the effects of the "meal of the day" in the restaurant? At this point I only care about stamina, so I don't want to get the meal if it's just giving me HP.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

wanted to take some pics of my EA workshop before I start a fresh file for good. I'll miss it since I want a functional interior this time and wont be able to stack bullshit again.

Holy poo poo, this is what your "home base" can end up looking like? That's wild. Unfortunately I generally suck rear end at stuff like creating houses in video games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I briefly messed around with furniture, but the controls were a bit confusing (maybe because I'm using a controller).

Hopefully I can find someone to copy at some point, because whatever part of the brain deals with that sort of thing is just broken for me. I can't hold the big picture in my head at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Make sure you buy the house editing kit from Heidi, that will let you go into a zoomed out camera editing mode.

I found an editing mode thing in her house, but I couldn't find any way to switch to my house's interior.

Radiation Cow posted:

I wish I could do lovely things like that, but I find the building interface janky as gently caress. It's super-difficult to accurately select something, sometimes it will select, other times it won't. Camera movement is slow and zoom levels also feel pretty bad. By far the worst part of the game for me.

Yeah, I had hard time getting things where I wanted them.

Part of it is that sensitivity with a controller seems way too high when placing furniture. It's very difficult to move just a single "grid space."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The music in this game vaguely reminds me of FF14 ARR Thanalan music.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm sad that Dan-bi is already married. Definitely the best looking character in Sandrock.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any reason to do stuff like the rock/paper/scissors minigame or sparring? Haven't done the latter just because I'd definitely lose since I'm still so early, though.

Also, are commissions the main source of money, or do I want to do stuff like use all this copper I have to make things and then sell those things? And if so, are there any good "money-maker" items that have a good ratio of cost/difficulty to sales price?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zeron posted:

Commissions should give you plenty of money and you get all sorts of other goodies for them. Just beeline the extra commission skill and once you get up to 3 commissions a day you get basically all the money you need. You'll need absolute mountains of copper and bronze and such so I definitely wouldn't be selling them off. Stuff like the card game and sparring are just for relationship points. If you find them tedious, you don't need to bother.

Ah, thanks for telling me about that skill. Didn't realize I could expand my commissions that way. That'll definitely help - currently I only make like 200-400 per day, which isn't exactly much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does multiplayer work in this anyway?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Wait, you can have a baby? What the heck

I just realized that I'm an idiot and, for some reason, thought that the second tier pickaxe/axe required the upgraded Workbench. I spent a long time confused about how I was supposed to upgrade the workbench using materials that require the upgraded pickaxe/axe (and the fact that you needed said upgraded tools to salvage this stage for this main quest I'm on).

Just got enough money again to buy the two thingies I need for the upgraded axes (I think you have to buy it at least - I've never come across them elsewhere and can't find a way to create them). Also not too long until I can get the skill that lets me do two commissions at once, which should increase my money significantly (which is good because I really need to expand my house area, since it can barely fit all my various machines and doodads).

Edit: What do I do with these tokens I just got from completing one of Yan's commissions (which had a gold page and was the most involved one I've done yet)? I notice you also get them for being one of the top workshops each month/season apparently. Completing that commission also made me shoot up from 5th place to 3rd place.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 12, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

tbf I have well over 100 hours in this game and only just realized like two days ago that you can actually upgrade all your machines for a slightly lower material cost by clicking the arrow in the top left of their menus instead of having to make whole new furnaces out of scratch when you've unlocked a new tier. :downs:

Thank you for mentioning this, because I absolutely would have crafted them from scratch.

FrickenMoron posted:

People on the discord love posting their husbands/wifes and he's definitely a cool guy. Logan&Fang are the most popular with the ladies by a mile, followed by Owen.

What about Qi? He seems like he would also be kind of popular.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 12, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Btw, do you need guns to knock down those chests hanging from cliffs?

And does a quest introduce guns to you at some point? I don't think I've encountered any yet.

edit: Unrelated, but I like the implementation of mounts in this. They feel very easy/convenient to use.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

Catori also later promises to pay you in non-fungible arcade tokens in exchange for doing some repair work to one her arcade machines, and yes those are her exact words, not mine.

This is by the way after she's even managed to blow through Mi-an's good will, who very apologetically has to tell her that sorry but I cannot work for catoricoin anymore, no matter how much you insist it's going to the moon, next time you want work from me please pay for it via the guild and put it up on the commission board.

Fortunately the protagonist has the superpower of "being puppetted by an extra-dimensional entity for whom both gol and game tokens are equally fake currency."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I'm guessing the dating quests with Catori involve her repeatedly asking you for loans or finding a place to hide her car so it doesn't get repossessed lol.

This Catori sounds relatable, games need more characters who are losers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My cash flow has increased considerably now that I can do 3 commissions at once.

I wonder who this person sending me anonymous letters is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, instantly guessed who took Mi-an's license.

Edit: What the heck, failed this yellow (or green, I'm colorblind) mission Yan gave me to fix a window because it expired the night he gave it to me. I actually fixed the drat window (after having to wait to craft the materials), but his office was closed so I couldn't turn it in. Waste of materials!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 13, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What should I do with the tools I'm not using due to upgrading? Gift them? Same question for clothes. Should I store those just to keep them available as visual options?

Also, is it a problem to ignore gifting for now? I imagine it'll be easier later once I have higher-tier stuff and can freely buy things without caring much about money. I'm still talking to people any time I see them and fulfilling these wishes that just started popping up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

They belong in a museum! (In all seriousness, you can donate them to the museum and you do get rewards based on donating stuff, so it's not a bad call to do so. Stuff that can be donated states what type of exhibit it fits in on the tooltip)

Speaking of the museum, do the artifact parts respawn in the ruins? I haven't seen any little yellow triangles while scanning in the areas I've ever visited, but I'm missing a couple artifact parts that I think only show up in the earlier areas.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chami posted:

They respawn when you reset floors; you’ll also get more than you know what to do with in salvage contracts. Please stop leaving bull head pieces at the foot of my bed, Rocky

Ah, I'm guessing these contracts are revealed by a quest at some point? Don't have them yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually laughed outloud when Elsie showed up in front of my house first thing in the morning after taking Mi-an's license, and the subsequent reveal that she asked her dad to deliver the letter, who delivered it to me specifically because she repeatedly emphasized not doing so and he just remembered hearing my name a lot. Also the letter's contents where she's like "my friend is TOO BUSY to play with me :mad:"

She is very amusingly immature. I came across a scene of her and Mi-an in the restaurant, where she was like "cookies are for children" and rationalizes that it's okay if she dips them in coffee.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Tyler Durden

Pretty dark if it turns out the protagonist is sending themselves letters to cope with their crippling boredom and loneliness.

No friends...only acquaintances and whatever type of sub-friend an "associate" is...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I got a couple commissions that I didn't realize require Perfect things. I don't think this is possible for me right now? I made a Refiner, but it requires an item I haven't acquired yet (that I assume is the next tier of Quartz).

I respecced to get the skills that increase chance of higher quality Workshop items, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Tried crafting like 10 pots before reloading and not a single one was higher quality.

Guess I'm going to need to drop them, since I doubt I'll start getting the necessary item before the commission expires.

Edit: Jesus Christ, found this journal just talking about some Old World girl starving to death

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

If you're talking about the gem you need for the refiner, you probably do have access to them via two methods:

1. Check the register in the Civil Corps office. They sell a small amount of all of the gems in exchange for civil corps badges, which you can get from running the hazardous ruins. They should have enough in stock to let you do the upgrades for the commission.
2. Research and build the ore refinery, which lets you break down large quantities of basic materials like stone for a chance at gems.

Not sure if I have access to those ruins - I can only access the first ruins and the Breech. I'll go ahead and research the ore refinery, since there's nothing else that's higher priority right now.

Edit: oh wait, apparently that's the hazardous ruins? Just the quest is called the Breach?

Is doing stuff there useful? It seems like fighting doesn't use much stamina.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

If you're looking for bloodstone, then all you need is a bronze pickaxe, which you should have access to pretty early on. There are two types of rocks near your house - the closer ones are gravel. The further ones are greyish colored, and they drop marble and bloodstone. You can also buy clay/quartz/bloodstone from the pottery.

No, I think what I needed is Fluorite.

Like someone else mentioned, it seems you can buy it with civil commission tokens, so I'll see if I can access those ruins again (not sure if they're permanently available after the Breach quest).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really want to make my home and surrounding area look cool, but I'm so incredibly loving bad at it. And I have no idea how to properly use the construction interface. I wanted to expand my house and couldn't figure out how to do anything other than attach squares to it (and at one point I mistakenly dropped a square separate from the house and closed out of the interface, which wasted 1000 gol and made me need to reload a previous save).

I should just find screenshots of other people with nice looking places and try and copy them.

Very vaguely related, but what does the Luck stat do?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I just heard a rumor that if you propose to one npc then schedule the wedding on the same day another npc was going to do a reverse proposal you'll end up married to BOTH characters at the same time lmfao

This is also how it works in real life. One of the only ways to legally marry two people if you're not in Utah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly is up with farming? It doesn't seem like selling things is a major source of money in this, at least compared with commissions. Will there be food-based commissions later or something? Though even then, it seems more convenient to just buy the ingredients when possible.

It also uses absurd amounts of water. I planted these coffee seeds, and watering them just drained almost all of my ~25 water barrels. Granted, the cost of water isn't a big deal at this point, assuming it refreshes in the water shop frequently.

Edit: Oh wait, the coffee thing is a loving tree, I guess that's why it used so much water. Apparently the tree just stay around periodically producing stuff?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 15, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I need to build multiple of a number of machines. Currently the only one I have more than one of is the Furnace (which just has 2). I'll try adding more dew things.

How exactly do crop commissions work, given the time it takes for a plant to grow? Do they give you longer, or are you supposed to have a bunch of stuff prepared ahead of time?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have this one giant (for me, at least) commission where Yan is asking for two of one of the components that went into making the hydrogel thing. Probably dumb, but I'm doing it because it pays over 3000 gol and the Yan commissions seem to be one of the only sources of this one currency. I had most of the components, so I think it's only taking like 2 days total to do.

edit: One completely unrelated question - will there be another Dance-off at some point? I wasn't able to buy all the Dancing stuff.

Dirk the Average posted:

Eventually you want to have a backlog of stuff for commissions and crafting. I would highly, highly recommend getting more recyclers, and more furnaces.

I find that my one Recycler generally keeps up with the scrap I get from doing the scrapyard most days (which isn't much - the only scrap I have significantly more than 12 of is Mechanical; Copper caps sometimes as well, but I keep up with it pretty easily). Is there some other source of more scrap, other than the daily scrapyard? More furnaces definitely sounds good though, since that's probably my bottleneck.

I feel like 2 Grinders and Processors might also be a sweet spot, since I occasionally (though not frequently) run into a bottleneck with those.

edit: Speaking of scrap, what's a good source for Rubber? The only semi-reliable things I can think of are the tires that sometimes appear in the scrapyard and the tires that sometimes appear to the west of my workshop (around where Mi-an often is).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 15, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

What are you feeding the pets to have a horde of them. I haven't found anything the pets like as a gift.

Except Meerkat which I think likes shiny scorpions.

Wait, you can turn the various animals into pets? I always assumed they were owned by someone else, or some sort of "communal pets."

GotLag posted:

The objectively best animal companion, CoCo, likes cactus fruit, scorpsters, and shiny scorpions

Well poo poo, that's a good use of all my cactus fruits I guess.

Dirk the Average posted:

I feel a little bad for Mi-An. Right now it's the fall of the 2nd year, and she's doing her best. A nice 3,000 builder points on the scoreboard. Probably will get close to 6k by the end of the year.

Meanwhile I'm at 42k points and rising very rapidly with a bunch of high value commissions coming in from the story.

I wish I could help her upgrade her machines because she's still using a basic furnace. She seriously needs to get with the times!

She works so hard too. Running around constantly.

GotLag posted:

Wish I could adopt X :(

"Adopt" X by sneaking up to and putting them in a bag

Fang sees X at your house. "This isn't X, it's just a bird that looks a lot like him. I hope you find X."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just unlocked a different category of commissions with food items. It seems like this might not be too bad, since farming appears to yield large numbers of whatever crop you planted and uses up water/fertilizer pretty slowly (and certain crops can just be purchased - it's funny that just buying the item for a commission is still profitable).

Rubber seems like my biggest bottleneck for crafting things. There's just not a lot between the three locations I'm aware of that drop rubber scrap (to the left of the scrapyard, a ways to the west of my workshop, and occasionally in the scrapyard itself). I'm pretty sure it amounts to less than a full "stack" of scrap for the recycler a day.

I'm confused about the salvaging contract/commissions stuff. Rocky sent me a letter about something like this a while back, but I haven't unlocked whatever is supposed to be accessible from a book in the salvage corps building. I can't find any option other than just manual salvaging.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think playing this game last night is the first time in many years that I've been "ambushed" by the rising sun. The hours just kept passing and suddenly I'm wondering why it's bright outside. At least it was a Friday night.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

You should be able to interact with his desk inside the salvage shop and sign a contract to get scrap delivered to your house after you've completed the quest "Keep on Rockin'", in which you build the salvage company an automated sorting device.

I haven't completed that quest, so I'm wondering what the heck Rocky mailed me about. I should see if there's a way to view old letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bought the Home Editing Kit, and I still have no idea how the gently caress to reasonably edit my house. Spent a very frustrating 15 minutes trying to figure out how to change my bed to another bed (never succeeded). I then tried to make my house bigger so that I could fit more in it. Never succeeded at this either - all I accomplished was creating random cubes next to my house.

It's a bad interface. Also never figured out how to simply add and remove existing furniture from the Editing Kit. Is there any place in the editing kit where you can just freely move around existing stuff? All I could find was various options to add things.