Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The fact that no one has come up with a Living Dead vs. Of the Dead movie is criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alhazred posted:

Specifically O'Bannon had the rights to use "Living Dead" and Romero had the rights to use "of the Dead".

Just like the 2 Lambada movies by the (then dueling) Canon Cousins. One had the rights to the name and the other the song. (Or something along those lines.)

Which also reminds me, remember the year with 2 Prefontane movies? Why did his estate or whatever allow that? Unless one (both?) was unauthorized? Similar to how Selma wasn't allowed to use any of MLK's words?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

WatermelonGun posted:

Did he have anything to do with the new Puppet Master? Cuz that movie rules.

It's was produced by Fangoria, so I didn't count it in my mention of the Full Moon Production ones.

And dang, Tato thanks for that write-up. I always just figured FMP was like, some kinda money laundering front or something and all the lovely movies they put out were a half-assed attempt to keep appearances as a 'legitimate' company.

Heck, I remember that Puppet Master 8 was made up primarily of reused footage from the previous ones. If that doesn't scream 'front' to you...

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

All I know about Puppet Master is that the seventh film, Retro Puppet Master, stars Greg Sestero in his first major film role. Greg would later go on to play Mark in The Room.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
There was a Demonic Toys vs Puppet Master for some reason.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What about Alien VS Predator? Or that movie's sequel, AvP: Requiem? Thata gotta be like THE motherload of sequels right there!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

There was a Demonic Toys vs Puppet Master for some reason.

They kind of stopped being the bad guys after the first couple of movies. I'd go back and rewatch them but all of Charles Band's stuff is arbitrarily more expensive than any other movie on Amazon.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vietnamwees posted:

What about Alien VS Predator? Or that movie's sequel, AvP: Requiem? Thata gotta be like THE motherload of sequels right there!

I just love how every piece of media - Games, comics, even animation - did the Aliens vs Predator thing in a really cool way everyone wanted to see on the big screen then they made it some PG-13 modern-era messy chunk poo poo instead

Just lame because this is the only versus movie where the whole idea was a proven concept, so ofc they changed it. The original AVP script was so much cooler. I still bet on them building the sets before they made the movie for some Indiana Jones knock-off that fell through.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 23, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
AvP 1 is a letdown but honestly not that bad. Requiem is terrible.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

rodbeard posted:

They kind of stopped being the bad guys after the first couple of movies. I'd go back and rewatch them but all of Charles Band's stuff is arbitrarily more expensive than any other movie on Amazon.

Yeah, after Part 2 the series weirdly morphs from "Andre Toulon was an evil dude who made puppets to kill people" into "Andre Toulon was a good man creating killer puppets to try and fight the nazis and other demon puppets."

I'm not sure why Full Moon though watching poorly animated puppets fight other poorly animated puppets was better than seeing a C-movie actor having to act like the puppet was choking them. Guess they just wanted to sell more toys of get PG-13 ratings

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pug Rodeo posted:

PG-13 was introduced in 1984. Until then plenty of PG movies had violence and titties.

Edit: Howard was 1986 so add it to the many questions about how that movie came to be.

Logan's Run, a 1976 movie rated PG, has full frontal nudity.

The Blues Brothers was rated R because the word "gently caress" is used twice.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Saint Drogo posted:

This happened surprisingly recently (2016)

Freddy vs Jason made more sense

This movie was more entertaining than Freddy vs Jason and way more interesting than either of their original counterparts. Both Ring and Ju-on put me to sleep, but I couldn't stop watching this flick.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pug Rodeo posted:

I kinda love it though despite how bad it is.

:same:

I probably watched this like 20 times back in the early '90s. For some reason it was on HBO all the time. It's so dumb but strangely charming and watchable. It also introduced me to the ownage that is Mary Woronov, so it has that going for it as well.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

:same:

I probably watched this like 20 times back in the early '90s. For some reason it was on HBO all the time. It's so dumb but strangely charming and watchable. It also introduced me to the ownage that is Mary Woronov, so it has that going for it as well.

I'm a bigger fan of the original Rock and Roll High School, but I saw the second one first (probably on HBO), and the complete bafflement I felt when I finally saw part 1 made me still love Rock and Roll High School Forever.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I had no idea there was a Rock and Roll High School, nor that Rock and Roll High School Forever was a sequel.

I just remember Corey Feldman really wanting to be Michael Jackson, which he still does to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5WEbLmu4k

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Bumping this thread because I just remembered Airplane II. Pretty much the same plot as the first one except they fly to the moon which is ridiculous by itself. This scene is the dumbest gag ever but it made me lmao when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ukAH6Ny80

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I remember Shatner being pretty funny in it, but everything else was forgettable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WemnsB98o

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Egbert Souse posted:

Logan's Run, a 1976 movie rated PG, has full frontal nudity.

The Blues Brothers was rated R because the word "gently caress" is used twice.

Thank you for confirming that. I was sure I saw nudity on daytime TV once when they played Logan's Run. It's good to know I wasn't hallucinating. Fun fact: 50 Shades of Grey got a 12 rating in France.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Someone mentioned Return of the Living Dead but didn't mention that it's a sequel to Night of the Living Dead. Dan OBannon and George Romero both had the rights to make a sequel so they each made their own.

The Night of the Living Dead Cinematic Universe is loving wild. Here's a breakdown of what I can remember

George Romero made sequels to Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Survival of the Dead

John Russo (co-writer of Night of the Living Dead) produced sequels
Night of the Living Dead 30th Annv. Edition (new footage was shot for this release)
Children of the Living Dead (sequel to the 30th Annv. cut)
Return of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead Part 2
Return of the Living Dead Part 3
Return of the Living Dead IV: Necropolis
Return of the Living Dead V: Rave to the Grave

The Cemetery Zombie from the beginning of NotLD released his own unofficial sequel called Flesheater sometime during the late 80s.

Dario Argento cut the international version of Dawn of the Dead, which was released as Zombi in Europe, so we have a whole subset of sequels to the International cut of Dawn

Italian Zombie sequels to Dawn of the Dead
Zombi 2 AKA Zombie (directed by Lucio Fulci)
Zombi 3
Zombie 4: After Death
Zombie 5: Killing Birds

But there's more! Since these movies were unofficial sequels, everyone wanted to get in on the game, and other movies would also be released as "unofficial sequels" to these unofficial sequels.

Unofficial sequels to the Italian Zombie Films
The Hanging Woman AKA Orgy of the Dead AKA Zombie 3: Return of the Zombies
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue AKA Zombie 3: Where Are You From?
Nightmare City AKA Zombie 3: City of the Living Dead
Zombie Holocaust AKA Doctor Butcher M.D. AKA Zombie 3
Night of the Zombies AKA Hell of the Living Dead AKA Zombie 4
Panic AKA Nightmare Killing AKA Zombi 4: Revenge of the Living Dead
A Virgin Among the Living Dead AKA Zombie Holocaust AKA Zombie 4
Revenge in the House of Usher AKA Zombie 5
Monster Hunter AKA Anthropophagus 2 AKA Zombie 6: Monster Hunter
Anthropophagus AKA Zombie 7
(don't ask me how this became a sequel to it's own sequel)

Then someone went ahead and renamed Night of the Seagulls (the 4th Tombs of the Blind Dead film) into Zombie 8, which means means that now the Tombs of the Blind Dead films are also loosely related to NotLD as well.

THEN THE LORD SAID LET THERE BE REMAKES!

Remakes of Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead '90
Night of the Living Dead 2014
Night of the Living Dead 3D
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animation
Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection
Night of the Living Dead: Darkest Dawn

Remakes of Dawn of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead '04

Remakes of Day of the Dead
Day of the Dead '08
Day of the Dead 2: Contagium
Day of the Dead: Bloodline

I think that just about covers it, unless we want to get into docs, movies that spoof the original title name, or how Romero's film influenced every zombie film since...

And don't even get me started on the Italian Demoni movies...

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 27, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

THEN THE LORD SAID LET THERE BE REMAKES!

Remakes of Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead '90
Night of the Living Dead 2014
Night of the Living Dead 3D
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animation
Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection
Night of the Living Dead: Darkest Dawn

This happened because, due to copyright laws in 1968 and a last minute change in the title card, NotLD was never copyrighted. It's also why there's 10,000 different releases of the original movie, anyone can legally do it since no one holds the rights.

The '90 version though was done by Tom Savini, and I think it's an acceptable remake.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the movies being listed as Zombi sequels may just be people messing around on IMDB to gently caress with the Cinema Snob.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWbiQAr8miI

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you want to see how a classic is easily ruined, go get the Night Of the Living Dead Anniversary edition with new footage added in.

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

Spoiler alert!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmYkfKqUxA

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Bonzo posted:

If you want to see how a classic is easily ruined, go get the Night Of the Living Dead Anniversary edition with new footage added in.

Night of the Living Dead was a mind-blowing movie for me as a kid so that was a DVD I saved up for and went to buy, since 30th anniversary? It must be good! They'll go all out with new documentaries and commentaries...and new scenes??? WOW.

gently caress YOU JON RUSSO

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bonzo posted:

Same thing with the Star Wars special editions. Such a shameless cash grab that gently caress up the movies pacings and the cgi looked bad even at the time. Worse, if you didn’t buy the movies over 10 years ago, you cannot find (without paying a disgusting amount of money) the original non-special edition versions since.

Trap sprung, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think I watched Airplane 2 multiple times as a kid before I ever saw Airplane.