Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Pikmin 3

Pikmin is a Nintendo IP that was first created for the Gamecube and launched in Japan on October 26, 2001. The game was originally designed as a tech demo of sorts: Pikmin demonstrated the Gamecube’s processing power by having hundreds of little moving objects, each with their own rudimentary AI, and displaying them in-game with no frame drops. While not terribly impressive by today’s standards, this was considered to be a massive step forward in game programming at the time.

Pikmin is a puzzle strategy game with combat elements: you controlled a character named Captain Olimar, and your mission was to use the Pikmin to help you reassemble your destroyed ship so you can leave the planet and return home. Pikmin 3 introduces three new characters altogether, each of them playable at the same time, but the core mechanics persist: command the swarm of Pikmin to do tasks such as carry objects to locations; build bridges; tear down obstructions; and attack enemies.

However, you have a time limit. In Pikmin, you had a maximum of 30 days to complete your mission in reassembling your spaceship and escaping the planet; in Pikmin 3, your time limit lasts for as long as you have provisions. Run out of food, and it’s game over.

The LP

This is going to be your fairly standard post-commentary LP. I had never played any Pikmin game before this one, and I only played it once, back in 2013. And I loved it. I thought it was an incredible game.

I had an idea to do an LP of Pikmin 3 for years, but I only have the means to try and do it now. Pikmin 3 tallies how many Pikmin you let perish over the course of the game once you complete it.

Tangentially related, my mother has been struggling with a disease called Scleroderma for the past couple years. It’s a nasty disease that I won’t go too into specifics on in this post. Scleroderma itself is not fatal and it is treatable, but those with it are at high risk for heart and lung failure, so I'm dedicating this to her.

For every Pikmin that I let die over the course of this LP, I will donate one dollar to Scleroderma Canada. :toxx:

Donators:

Zanzibar Ham: One dollar per 10 dead Pikmin, rounded up (so, 21 dead Pikmin equals $3 donated)
Lustful Man Hugs: One dollar per 5 dead Pikmin

Videos:

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Well, I for one am here to see my good friend guy I've seen on the internet from time to time for several years lose give hundreds of dollars to a good cause!

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 19, 2019

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pikmin 3 was a fairly novel entry in the series, but I kind of felt it was a step back compared to 2.

Has some of the best food textures ive ever seen through.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This is a great thing you're doing!

I can't afford too much, so once the LP's over I'll donate a dollar per 10 dead pikmin rounded up (so say 21 dead pikmin is 3 USD), with a minimum of 15 USD so you don't feel bad if you end up playing too well.

I'll look for an international group that mainly battles Scleroderma, but if I don't find one that looks trustworthy I'll also send it to Scleroderma Canada.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'll look for an international group that mainly battles Scleroderma, but if I don't find one that looks trustworthy I'll also send it to Scleroderma Canada.

If you find any, let me know and I'll put a link to it in the OP!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Louie was Olimar's coworker, not son. The story of Pikmin 2 is that Louie sucks and nearly bankrupted the company they work for until Olimar brought home a treasure that could be used to pay off the debt so they get sent back to Earth to get more treasure.

Additionally, the Rock Pikmin are basically re-balanced Purples as the latter and Whites are only in the multiplayer. The reason I say re-balanced is because the Purple Pikmin are completely OP as Mugiwara Yoshi demonstrated in LP of Pikmin 2: https://lparchive.org/Pikmin-2/

Lastly Olimar and Louie are from a different planet from our protagonists called Hocotate. Koppaites and Hocotatians are aware of the other's existence with Alph referring to Hocotatians as "treasure-loving vegetable-eaters" and that meat rarely gets eaten on Hocotate

There are also physiological differences as for one thing, Koppaites are able to breathe oxygen which is incredibly toxic to the Hocotatians.

Koppaites are also only capable of metabolizing a substance called Piktamin U. It is explained by Brittany that Pikpik Carrots do not contain Piktamin U which is the reason why Hocotate Freight, the company Olimar and Louie work for, could not help with Koppai's food crisis. Fortunately, the massive fruits found on PNF-404 contain large amounts of this substance

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 3, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Maple Leaf posted:

If you find any, let me know and I'll put a link to it in the OP!

I found two big international groups, one is the Scleroderma Research Foundation (based in the US), the other is the World Scleroderma Foundation (based in Switzerland). I'll look more into them as the LP goes, but right now I'm more inclined towards WSF just because while SRF has a wikipedia page, it seems to have been written by some representative? Has more of an ad-article feel than something informative, which bugs me a bit. But it's considered to be very trusted by Charity Navigator, if that means anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Louie was Olimar's coworker, not son. The story of Pikmin 2 is that Louie sucks and nearly bankrupted the company they work for until Olimar brought home a treasure that could be used to pay off the debt so they get sent back to Earth to get more treasure.

I could've swore it was that the President of Olimar's company nearly bankrupted the company. Everything else is completely new information and also way more lore to the series than I was aware of.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love the pikmin games and their wordplay, but PNF-404? That's a bridge too far for me

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RareAcumen posted:

I could've swore it was that the President of Olimar's company nearly bankrupted the company. Everything else is completely new information and also way more lore to the series than I was aware of.

I remember there being a big shipment of carrots that louie ate instead of delivering or something to that nature. The boss just took out a silly big loan on a spaceship.

e: Upon reviewing the intro, louie "Ran into space rabbits that ate his load of carrots" and the loan was solely for the shipment.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 20, 2019

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I'll donate a dollar per 5 dead Pikmin, and if I get more stable employment soon, I'll leave an opening to upgrade my donation.

In either case, keep up the LP; I loved this series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FoolyCharged posted:

I remember there being a big shipment of carrots that louie ate instead of delivering or something to that nature. The boss just took out a silly big loan on a spaceship.

e: Upon reviewing the intro, louie "Ran into space rabbits that ate his load of carrots" and the loan was solely for the shipment.
Did you see the whole game?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did you see the whole game?

I honestly dont remember the ending.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Spoilers for Pikmin 2's secret cutscene, I guess:

After beating all challenge mode levels without deaths, you unlock this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCpA4fJ8g0

---

Pikmin 3 is good, but I guess one minor complaint I have is that it feels more "video-gamey" than the first two, if that makes sense. Most of this is done in the name of gameplay improvements, so I can't complain that much. The glowing ring around the onion at sunset is less realistic, but actually knowing the boundaries of the safe zone is such a big improvement. Another thing is in the previous games, you could only throw pikmin directly next to Olimar, and if they didn't arrange themselves properly, you could end up throwing the wrong type. In Pikmin 3, the colour you want will teleport into your hands, less realistic but so much more convenient. Something I won't miss is in the first game, pikmin could trip, which was cute and gave them more character and individuality, but it suuuuucked

Pikmin is very near and dear to my heart and I could write a lot of words about it if I thought anyone would read them

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, that's about right. I remember the game giving a bunch of wink, wink, nudge, nudge hints about it where it was clear the dude just ate the shipment. Never knew they flat out said it though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

The boss just took out a silly big loan on a spaceship.

More specifically the President attempted to take out a loan with a company called "Happy Hocotate Savings and Loan" to cover for the lost shipment of golden Pikpik carrots only to find that he had accidentally taken out a loan with the company just next door, the "All-Devouring Black Hole Loan Sharks", which forces him to go into hiding.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I have since looked up how to use the lock-on feature

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That fruit there is called a Pitahaya, also known as a dragon fruit (hence its name in the game). I've eaten some we got as gifts from a family that grew them. Tasted good, but we didn't feel it was worth the relatively high price it has (had?) over here.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The continents in Pikmin 3 are specifically based on Pangaea Ultima, a theoretical landmass 250 million years in the future. There are comparison images, but they contain spoilers for future areas.

Actually, I can't seem to find an easy answer for this: would the flower pots and such in Pikmin last millions of years without degrading? There are clay figurines from ~25,000 years ago that are still in good condition, but would 250 million years be too much? (I know it's an aesthetic choice and not about realism but hey) (Alternatively, this is Earth 250 million years later and humans are extinct, but humans only went extinct relatively recently before the events of pikmin :speculate:)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

As long as it is undisturbed clay can stick around for an exceptionally long time.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've watched the Pikmin 3 LP by zfleeman on here, and by Chugga. But this is Maple Leaf, so I may as well watch Pikmin 3 a 3rd time. Speaking of which, you can get your gamepad modded to have a capture card built-in, allowing you to record your gamepad as well as the TV. Not sure how much it costs though.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil posted:

I've watched the Pikmin 3 LP by zfleeman on here, and by Chugga. But this is Maple Leaf, so I may as well watch Pikmin 3 a 3rd time. Speaking of which, you can get your gamepad modded to have a capture card built-in, allowing you to record your gamepad as well as the TV. Not sure how much it costs though.

I figured I could, but it is absolutely not worth it at this point; the Wii U is a dead system and I'd be getting the mod for a glorified 2D map. I think I'll just pass on this one, haha.

Also, that's actually quite a lovely compliment, thank you!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not surprised a Nokia candybar survived eons past humanity's demise, but I am kinda impressed that it still had a (tiny) bit of a charge left.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't quite understand. Brittany and Alph eat vegetable and fruit juice, too. Why are they dismissive of vegetarians then?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand they only eat fruit, not vegetables.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
drat frugivores, always looking down on people with other diets

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That fruit that you're confused about is a kumquat.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Oh, hey, that's a fruit that's got a decade+ old reputation on these forums. They are pretty tasty though.

If you ever want to explore the world of obscure-to-North-Americans fruits, poke around any asian or otherwise international grocery place you can find, and not just the produce sections either. There's a bunch of central/south american companies putting out frozen whole or pulped fruits.
I'll tell you right now:
- Tamarillos are basically extra-tart tree tomatoes with a tough rind and additional tropical fruit flavors.
- Purple Mombins are like miniature mangoes, including the huge wooden seed inside, so don't go chomping straight into them.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If those grapes didn't have seeds, the question would be how did the plants survive so long?

Something to note though is there is a way to raise "new" plants from an old one using this process whose name I forget whereby a section of the old plant is taken out and planted, and then that part grows into a new one, or something like that. I don't remember if it works with every plant or not though, I bet less resilient plants don't take well to it.

e: okay, my mother says that for that process to work it needs the plant to be able to grow new roots from the cut part

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: okay, my mother says that for that process to work it needs the plant to be able to grow new roots from the cut part

Yeah, taking cuttings works for some plants. Probably the most well known one is spiderplants, they're pretty resilient so a common school activity is to grow one in class and then give cuttings to all the students. I believe most vine plants (among others) can do this well, including grapevines, which is why stuff like kudzu and virginia creeper can be so difficult to remove; you leave a leaf behind and it takes root and grows again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Considering the last game was about Olimar going to some planet and collecting stuff to sell, it was probably less 'Oh this is a key for a new-ish ship' and more 'Ah good, more items to sell. I'll make my quota soon enough at this rate' There's not really any way to discern items that've been on the planet for a while vs those that're new, since most stuff isn't rusting or degrading in any way.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Citrus Pumps are actually tangerines and were a treasure in Pikmin 2.

Also it's called a Vehemoth Phosbat and is the adult stage of the little Phosbats running around.

And said before while Koppaites are able to breathe oxygen, the oxygen levels of PNF-404 are three times higher than that of Koppai's meaning that our protagonists are in danger of Hyperoxia which can be fatal without treatment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Which prompts an interesting question, how do they smell Charlie through their helmets?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a very strong smell.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lack of filters other than scrubbers taking out extra oxygen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

They don't wear their helmets, but they do wear their suits, when they're on the Drake. That can't be too easy on them.