Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm more curious about the sub-arctic mangos. I get that the variety of objectives would be really boring if they were restricted actual horticulural concerns, but I'm pretty jealous about them getting such delicious fruits in areas with frost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm more curious about the sub-arctic mangos. I get that the variety of objectives would be really boring if they were restricted actual horticulural concerns, but I'm pretty jealous about them getting such delicious fruits in areas with frost

Everything's actually plastic fruit and the "juice" is pulped/liquified byproduct. Koppai has a very unusual ecology which is why the probes had to roam so far to find compatible food.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chimera-gui posted:

the oxygen levels of PNF-404 are three times higher than that of Koppai's meaning that our protagonists are in danger of Hyperoxia which can be fatal without treatment.

And also spontaneous combustion.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The pocked airhead is a type of orange. Might be a tangelo or a kishu, pretty sure others have an outie like that as well

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah, it was clearly a dk64 oj grenade

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those 9 poor rock pikmin :(

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's actually Antarctica.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You wouldn't have noticed a bunch of dig mounds around the outside of the boss arena by any chance?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

All those poor pikmin. Now they're rock candy for monsters. Why didn't you just whistle on the way back Charlie? You had to walk past them to return at the end of the day.

:negative:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil posted:

You wouldn't have noticed a bunch of dig mounds around the outside of the boss arena by any chance?

They didn't even register to me at the time. The fight probably would have been a little easier with some dynamite, that's for sure!

Still, I only lost 9 Pikmin in that fight. Hardly a dealbreaker, and besides, losing Pikmin is supposed to be one of the goals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So the goal is to basically just to get by with the Pikmin we have, and not spend any effort to make more of them?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Torrannor posted:

So the goal is to basically just to get by with the Pikmin we have, and not spend any effort to make more of them?

I mean, if they lose a bunch sure, but you can only have 100 pikmin out at any given point and they have over 100 red and yellow dudes with the rock population having dropped to 96. There's not really a huge reason for them to make restocking their troops a goal right now.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Maple Leaf cares less about making new Pikmin than losing them because every dead Pikmin is a dollar donated. So it's not all a loss!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Seeing as this is a Nintendo game that takes place on Earth 250 million years in the future, should we assume that, in some forest you don't explore in the game, there are arboreal squids swinging through the trees with rudimentary ink-throwing devices that will one day evolve into Inklings?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bob died for science :(

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, but he died for science!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure the pikmin could have moved the mangosteen across the ridge to the side of the puddle, and carried it back. It bugs me that you're not farming obscene amounts of the spicy fruit. It's free flowers!

I think it's a disadvantage that you rescued the winged pikmin today. If you had left it for tomorrow, the onion would have been in a more convenient place to gather the starting pink pellets. This way you have more land to traverse tomorrow.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil posted:

I think it's a disadvantage that you rescued the winged pikmin today. If you had left it for tomorrow, the onion would have been in a more convenient place to gather the starting pink pellets. This way you have more land to traverse tomorrow.

Yeah, you're probably right, but whatever, you know? This is very specifically not a skilled playthrough, so I just go with it.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yup, definitely some inefficiencies from getting the onion, but not clearing the area around it. It also bugs me that you aren't grinding spicy berries. I think there's a handful of puzzles you can beat by locking onto something with winged pikmin from a distance and having the charge at it. I think the fig in this episode is one of them.

Fun fact. Neanderthals (the 'th' is pronounced /t/, not /th/) are not forerunners to humans. They're a separate species that went extinct (although there was interbreeding because all humans except sub-Saharan Africans have a small percentage of neanderthal DNA in them, so it's possible that they were a subspecies, and not a separate species). Cro-Magnon man is the anatomically modern human that was the forerunner to modern humans.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
I think the kiwi nickname might be due to the outside being "hairy".

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The fruits are all named by Brittany. I think there's a fruit folio that's unlocked either when you get enough fruits or just beat the game. Don't remember which, but the Blonde Imposter name is explained there.

The secret files used to unlock secret videos on Nintendo's Pikmin 3 website. I found them earlier, but I'll wait till end of the game to post so we avoid any potential spoilers.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
the Asian hnnngh fruit is a persimmon!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The blonde imposter is a golden kiwi as opposed to a green kiwi that most people are used to.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Actually Maple, you've got the events of Pikmin 2 mixed up as the loan was taken out to cover the loss of the shipment at which point the fact that the loan was made with loans sharks came to light.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually Maple, you've got the events of Pikmin 2 mixed up as the loan was taken out to cover the loss of the shipment at which point the fact that the loan was made with loans sharks came to light.

If Pikmin 1 and 2 are anything like 3, I should really get around to playing them so I can stop embarrassing myself!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And to clear up some confusion regarding playable characters in Pikmin 2, you able to switch between Olimar and Louie while you repay the dept at which point you leave Louie behind and have get him back by playing as Olimar and the President.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Olive Branch, do you sniff with your butt?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil posted:

Olive Branch, do you sniff with your butt?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Wait, you guys don't? Next you'll tell me you use your mouth to eat food.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought Louie's story was just the usual layabout punk kid with nothing to do and so he was given work. Everything about him is spoiled kid with no work ethic.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I thought his family abused him and fed him/made him stay with spiders, which is why he had a connection with the bug in the end of 2

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Door Frame is correct, Louie was forced to eat bugs as a kid which is why his note in Pikmin 2 are about preparing in monsters you right as food.

Also the trip are lucky that Purples and Whites are in the story mode cause the onion probably would be capable of absorbing the Drake with the additional increase from Purple and White onions.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure that elevator puzzle is one of the other ones that can be completely cheesed with the use of flying Pikmin.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is nothing stopping you from having the pinks pick up your guys and flying them over terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Pinks can't pick up other Pikmin/Captains, only food/items.