Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Humanity may be dead in their timeline, but when the LP is over, it will help humanity last a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
F

Are we even sure star fruit look like that naturally, or did they became star shaped after being domesticated?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Animating the juice pouring into those bottles really kills the game's framerate. Is it dynamically animating the juice sloshing around and mixing its color on the fly or something?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Whatever its doing, that juice always makes me thirsty :beerpal:

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

First, re: fruit v. vegetables, Botanically speaking, a fruit is a seed-bearing structure that develops from the ovary of a flowering plant, whereas vegetables are all other plant parts, such as roots, leaves and stems.

Second, Freyja is a Norse Vanir goddess associated with war, death, love, sex, beauty, fertility, gold, and seiğr, and gets the half of fallen warriors that don't go to Odin.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Ygmir posted:

Second, Freyja is a Norse Vanir goddess associated with war, death, love, sex, beauty, fertility, gold, and seiğr, and gets the half of fallen warriors that don't go to Odin.

Shows where my education and priorities lie!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Have you forgotten that the Purple Pikmin are ten times stronger than other Pikmin types? This strength was outright required for several treasures, two of which are needed to gain access to new areas.

They were also notorious for their effectiveness on the battleground in 2 as they will land with a resounding thump, stunning and seriously injuring beasts when thrown. However these latter traits along with a resistance to wind were removed in Pikmin 3 thus while they still land with a thump, the thump itself does absolutely nothing.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The purple pikmin in 2 were kinda broken, and by kinda broken I mean I watched TheStrawhatNO's LP of it where Yoshi killed the emperor bulborb in 10 seconds

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Have you forgotten that the Purple Pikmin are ten times stronger than other Pikmin types? This strength was outright required for several treasures, two of which are needed to gain access to new areas.

Yes!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dude, we created a telescope the size of a planet. People carry little boxes around that have near-instant access to so much information that they should have DON'T PANIC etched on the case. Our ability to communicate and transfer information has become so easy that we have in many ways become one global community/economy, unfortunately a long ways ahead of our ability to actually cope with that. Don't make the mistake of dismissing the impact of all of those things just because we don't have self-driving cars or robot butlers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Medical knowledge has advanced a ton. In the 90s, HIV was a death sentence!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If nothing else, our cars have advanced from this https://youtu.be/P-7YZI5tdlk
To this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8vf9EJBBfw

And we have actually started to get large scale energy from non-fossil fuels

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Torrannor posted:

Medical knowledge has advanced a ton. In the 90s, HIV was a death sentence!

I would say that is a major advancement. Medical technology in itself has advanced in leaps and bounds, even within the last 10 years. I saw a headline earlier this week stating that scientists are just about ready to test a malaria vaccine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It still feels weird to me that there's a vaccine for chickenpox. That was just a fact of life when I was growing up. Weird in a good way, I'm not claiming it builds character or something.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I remember being jealous of a friend whose family could afford that vaccine, since it wasn't covered by my parents' insurance. Chicken pox sucked and I still have scars on my head from it 20 years later

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I was going to say something specific about the current general stasis of form factors being a product of electronics' shrink & speed and that developments are continuing under the hood and to consider storage density changes over the past 20 years, but I think there's a more pertinent point: perhaps we should not let glamorous but ultimately kooky and consumerist visions of the future be a primary measure for technological and scientific change.

To put it another way: what distinguishes your "we still don't have driverless cars" from "It's the year 2000. But where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars!" 19 years ago?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Miz Kriss posted:

The purple pikmin in 2 were kinda broken, and by kinda broken I mean I watched TheStrawhatNO's LP of it where Yoshi killed the emperor bulborb in 10 seconds

Oh I'm well aware of how Yoshi bent Pikmin 2 over his knee thanks to the Purples, that's why I mentioned how they've been subsequently nerfed in 3.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I'll gladly accept being wrong, given all those examples. I only hope we can push all this cool new technology to help the poorest among us. Also, not keeping ourselves cooking in our own heat!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Is that an olive branch from olive branch I spy?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We should have kept our resources to fix our own ever-growing problems, which would easily get done in ten years. Get rid of the problem-producers very quickly so it doesn't explode into something worse.

I don't know how you got the idea of a woman discovering that black hole. I read about this Katie Bouman doing an incredibly insignificant amount of contribution among a couple dozen people. No one person could take the credit.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 27, 2019

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't know how you got the idea of a woman discovering that black hole. I read about this Katie Bouman doing an incredibly insignificant amount of contribution among a couple dozen people. No one person could take the credit.

her "insignificant" contribution is actually what makes everything work together and we wouldn't have the picture without her work. how about you do some research before you open you mouth again?

https://twitter.com/thisgreyspirit/status/1116518545934962694

https://twitter.com/thisgreyspirit/status/1116518547327475712

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The same can be said about the dozens of other people. It is unfair to the others who contributed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

The same can be said about the dozens of other people. It is unfair to the others who contributed.

By your logic their contributions were "incredibly insignificant" so it's okay.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zanzibar Ham posted:

By your logic their contributions were "incredibly insignificant" so it's okay.
"Okay" enough to discover the black hole through a group effort. Even Katie's contributions helped. Glad that's settled.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

To help combat the tendency to see physics as a "man's job" and also because it was directly related to her recent PhD thesis, Dr Bouman got spotlit for her part in bringing the data together with an emphasis on the collaborative efforts. This then got nabbed and turned into a clickbait patronizing image of "look at this smiling girl, Katie made it all happen! Isn't she special and unique?" She didn't do nothing, she didn't do everything, and both approaches serve the same cause that her call-out was supposed to push against in the first place.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sounds good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, trying to give all the credit to one or two figureheads isnt anything new or exciting. Let's keep the space theme and think of the thousands of people it took to bring off the first moon landing. Now name one that wasn't in the rocket. It's just how people work.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The big blob just wants to be friends. Too bad it only can do Bad Hugs :(

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Okay, that was eerie. Maple Leaf, you asked for a "P" name, and I said Philomena to myself right before Oliver Branch said Philomon.

So I got that going for me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man the glass cube sucks, I bet even if you're prepared for it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I'm currently reading Ken Follett's "World Without End" and I totally lifted "Philemon" from it. :)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Wow, that boss is a handful. Poor pikmin :(

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

And that's it! Thank you for joining us on this LP! This one goes out to all the Juniors that couldn't make it to see today.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on saving Olimar, Maple Leaf! And Koppai too I guess. and (sigh) Louie...

And to take a little more bite out of the sacrifices of all those Pikmin, here's my donation -

I tried to donate to the WSF, but it kept giving me errors unfortunately before I could even put in any personal information, so there ya go. I converted from ~35 USD and rounded up a tad more for a clean 50.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

This is significantly less fanfare than I expected, haha

Lustful Man Hugs, where are you? Any chance you can fulfill your donation pledge?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Good job on this, Maple Leaf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I for one salute the deaths of all the Pikmin that fell in glorious battle for juice.

When I come back from visiting family I'm going to do something nice for you, Maple Leaf.