Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gnome7 posted:

Yep, the four new playbooks are all repurposed from IW's dungeon world playbooks. They are the Angel, the Collector, the Lantern, and the Rain, based on the Sky Dancer, Collector, Lantern, and Rainlord, respectively.

The Golem isn't appearing because it already heavily inspired The Constructed, which is already in Fellowship. The Survivor and the Walker have some of their moves sprinkled amongst the new playbooks, and also have a lot of their DNA in the Dwarf, Pair, and Spider playbooks already. And The Captain is made partially redundant by The Ship, which is unofficially available already and will be officially released with Inverse Fellowship.

No Mechanic? I has a sad.

(But seriously this sounds very cool and I am super excited for it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gnome7 posted:

I have no self control so Inverse Fellowship has two more playbooks now: The Tinker and The Beast. And also there's a lot of robot stuff in it now, so the Constructed will also be reprinted in this book. It's already Inverse World's Golem playbook, after all.

The Tinker is heavily inspired by the Mechanic, but to help differentiate it from the Collector and the Golem, it's a little swashbuckley. It takes a few notes from Inverse World's Captain, and shares the Iron stat with the Dwarf, although the Tinker uses it to represent their Battle Suit. Tinkers are people like gnomes and goblins and other tech-heavy folk.

The Beast is wholly new, although it does share a little DNA with the Survivor and the Walker. They have the ability to go all in in a way few other playbooks can.

Also while I'm here, anyone who backed Final Bid should have the final PDF now! I am waiting for DTRPG's print processing before doing a general public release, but that should be coming soon.

Hooray! I was already super excited for this, and now I'm at least 10 times more excited for it!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

On a related note, the Harbinger"s Doomed Soul move says that when it Share it, their Doom stat is +1, but then says this move cannot be Shared.

E: Disregard, Read Mode formatting on my phone got weird and I missed the header for the Doom and Gloom move.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 27, 2019

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Speak Softly poll round 2: now with actual rewrites

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1111128270785970177

I don't have a Twitter to vote in the poll, but I like option one the best of the ones that is presented.

But, in order to more closely parallel Look Closely, can I suggest something more like the following?

9-: your questions create problems down the line, either for you or for the person you asked.

That keeps the consequences directly connected to actual play, and doesn't rely on NPCs arbitrarily deciding to screw you over. It also creates a perfect opportunity for the fellowship to be heroic again, when the overlords minions find out that George the blacksmith has been talking to the fellowship and show up to explain to him why that's not the best thing for his long-term health.

Alternatively, it's still really easy to twist it as the NPC betraying the fellowship and Reporting whatever information he gave them to their enemies, while still retaining the fundamental honesty of interactions between players and the Overlord.

And of course, it also very easily covers things like " this character doesn't actually know everything about what they're talkin about and some key piece of information is missing," or " the answer is something you really didn't want to hear" like in the current version of option one.

EDIT: as long as you're making changes, I found one other small mistake in the witch's potion Master move. The option for the potion to get the user Drunk still says "choose two stats," but that's not how the Drunk tag works anymore.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 28, 2019

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

It is very nice, but I wonder if it might grow frustrating to keep getting sidetracked by the problems that the information you get causes.

It doesn't have to be a side track though. I mean, sure it can be "now you have to go rescue George the blacksmith from the overlord's dungeons," and that spawns a new side quest so to speak, but it could also just as easily be "while you're engaged in your primary objective against the Overlord's armies, you find a bunch of prisoners being sent to a processing facility and oh look your old buddy blacksmith George is in there, boy letting them out right now sure would complicate things but he's only in there because of you. What are you going to do, hero?"

There are plenty of ways for your questioning to cause problems down the line that doesn't completely derail the adventure. The problems also don't have to be as straightforward as "blacksmith George is now a prisoner and you have to rescue him," either. Like, it could just as easily be that one of the overlords minions was spying on you and heard you asking him about stuff, so now the bad guys know you're coming, or the thing that George tells you is "oh sure, the only way into the Metal Dungeon is to get the Sapphire Key from the Star Dragon, and she really doesn't like parting with any of her treasure."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but I remember seeing gnome7 make some tweet threads about game design but can't find them now. One of them was about how +2 modifiers are boring, if anyone else knows what I'm talking about?

Funnily enough, this literally just came up in the chat thread: https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1145957463914663936?s=20

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I had a question about the interaction in mechanics between two Fellowship 2e playbook moves:

From the Harbinger:

and

From the Exile:

If you had both of those moves would this mean you could heal one person twice and yourself twice, or can you keep damaging a stat and healing it to heal all the damaged stats on one person, plus an extra initial heal for yourself?

Generally you can only use a move once per triggering event, so my reading would be that you can heal one person twice and yourself once.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Where does the rulebook say that? Because Gnome says 4 posts up that this is an infinite loop by RAW. I don't mind the idea that it's not, but I was wondering how the RAW readings would be.

And also, my bad, I somehow managed to conflate an explicit rule about SFX in Cortex Prime (which spells out that you can only use each SFX once per action even if you could meet the trigger condition more than once) with the general PbtA philosophy of "you generally can't use the same move over and over unless something about the situation changes" and mash them together in my brain.

I still think it's generally a good guideline to say "one move trigger in the fiction = one instance of the move," because it does prevent infinite loop scenarios even if this specific instance wasn't one, but it's not actually a rule in Fellowship.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

gnomefriend, how is it coming for the PoDs with former name removed? I've been putting off ordering them until then but I'm not sure if the DTRPG POD price hike is gonna futz with that.

They're already available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

1upmuffin posted:

I played Microscope with a group once and had a good time, is Fellowship sort of in that vein? Interested in the bundle.

Depends on what you mean by "in that vein." Fellowship gives players a lot of control over the world (officially, you, the player, are the one who gets to tell us about your people--so e.g. if you play the Dragon, you get to decide what dragons are, what they're like, and what their culture is), and it has some good rules for a structured, shared world-building session at the start of the game, but the actual gameplay of Fellowship is "a party of heroes going on journeys and having adventures," not "a shared experience of building a world and its history" like Microscope.