Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which foodpost is the bestpost?
Duscat: Birbs & Gravy
Duscat: Chicken & Rice
Doc Walrus: Hawaiian Teriyaki Noodles
Bloom: Black Fried Rice
Epic High Five: Hobo Bachelor Buffet
Willie Tomg: Oh-My-God-I-Can-Breathe-Again Quesadillas
Twoday: Chicken & Beets
Bird with big dick: Surf & Turf
Crakkerjakk: Whole loving Days Worth of Food
View Results

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Our contestants (speak up if I missed your post!)
Duscat: Birbs & Gravy
Duscat: Chicken & Rice
Doc Walrus: Hawaiian Teriyaki Noodles
Bloom: Black Fried Rice
Epic High Five: Hobo Bachelor Buffet
Willie Tomg: Oh-My-God-I-Can-Breathe-Again Quesadillas
Twoday: Chicken & Beets
Bird with big dick: Surf & Turf
Crakkerjakk: Whole loving Days Worth of Food

Now bicker over these posts! Who had the best idea? Who had the best execution?

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

should've got a mod to add the poll to the original thread imho

oh well, now the unwashed masses get to review all entries and naturally vote for mine

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Maybe, but this should be less work for mods considering we're gonna be doing this every month. Don't want to drag someone over to add/remove a poll over and over forever

e: fixed OP to include links to the recipe posts. It should be noted that Bird with big dick's post is the only one with a post ID ending in 69

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Jan 22, 2019

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
E: nvm

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

Maybe, but this should be less work for mods considering we're gonna be doing this every month. Don't want to drag someone over to add/remove a poll over and over forever

e: fixed OP to include links to the recipe posts. It should be noted that Bird with big dick's post is the only one with a post ID ending in 69

Nice

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm assuming we can't vote for our own? In which case I'm voting twoday, because that sort of thrift and utility is something that is the uppermost of anything I'll ever respect about cooking

As a proud proletarian and hobo cooker, I'm sure they're not terribly surprised at this vote of confidence, though I tend to bag and stock my scraps at the time (using excess stock creatively rather than using excess stock to use things creatively) in an opposite manner to them

an 8qt crock post is just aces

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Also assuming we can't vote for our own, I vote for either Epic High Five or Twoday. If forced to pick one, Epic High Five.

I'm big on calories/dollar, so I like the ones that are 1800 calories+, basically, but I think the quesadillas would kill you pretty quickly. But Twoday did the quick pickles on the beet stems and the homemade ricotta trick which is pretty cool.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vote for literally none of these

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
twoday's recipe is really cool but I had to give it to crakkerjakk because all three parts of their entry were creative and they got a ton of food in. I liked EHF's entry for the same reason.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crakkerjack's was extremely good but I felt it involved too many ingredients to be really properly a proletarian feast like I had interpreted this challenge to be

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's why i had to vote quesadillas. it's something i make regularly. just tortillas, monterrey jack, sour cream as dippin' sauce and a few drops of tapatio

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, I was explicitly going for variety. Trying to avoid the vegan stereotype of a giant fuckoff pile of rice and beans. (Though that would have been cheaper/more calories.). But still be enough to eat for a day.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you people eat chicken in everything, what the gently caress

e: them teriyaki noodles look fuckin good though

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Jan 22, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crane Fist posted:

it's a budget thing

had it been a few weeks earlier I'd use corned beef brisket

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Crane Fist posted:

:swoon:

Chicken (especially cuts other than breast meat) is cheap as hell so this challenge was bound to lean towards chicken instead of red meat.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Chicken is cheap and this was the cheap challenge.

So I made and tried the quesadillas and I liked them. They were simple enough that I memorized the recipe and I am almost certain to make them again in not too long. And that's very good and there is certainly value in that transferability in the proletarian challenge.

Duscat's stuff seems like it would be tasty but the writeups are not the most informative.

Black fried rice owns, but it's definitely the sort of thing I would make myself so I felt more drawn towards the unfamiliar recipes.

Bird with a big dick, I see what you were going for and I thought of doing the same thing, but I decided against it. It is important and a worthwhile point that you can have nice ingredients even within a budget, but as a whole the recipe is impractical and reminds me of going to a restaurant where all the dishes are smaller than you expected.

The noodles were probably the most complex coherent dish, and I want to try making it. It makes me want to eat spam, which is impressive.

However, my instinct leans me most towards Crakkerjakk and EHF, because they took similar approaches to me, to show off random tricks and hacks, and try to have a maximum diversity of ingredients and final products despite the budgetary constraints. Between these two I chose EHF because there was more unfamiliar stuff in that recipe, so I feel like I learned more from it. And I love learning poo poo.

Overall I am happy with the outcome of this. I love cooking and I love c spam, and so far it's been two great tastes that taste great together

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Voting quesadillas, with a stray longing toward bachelor chow.

Looking forward to someone else suggesting a challenge, so I can jump in withou suspicion of pushing the one I'm good at.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i was too poor to participate since i caught the milk on a good day a couple weeks ago

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Willie's quesadillas get an honorable mention for being super cheap and tasty looking, but I voted for twoday's recipe because I love me some beets and it looks less likely to give me a heart attack when I get around to trying it.

Looking at all the entries my presentation was shamefully half-assed and I will strive to do better in future challenges.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I must admit the pickled beet stems were better when I tried them a few days later but they weren't the best thing to quick pickle, and overall they are better sautéd with the greens and garlic.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
voted ehf to troll hard-line cornbread opinion havers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

voted ehf to troll hard-line cornbread opinion havers

corn pone/hot water cornbread/corn dodgers are heavily featured in much of American literature and history, from True Grit to Grapes of Wrath! They are valid!

twoday
May 4, 2005

The cornbread was the deciding factor for me as well, gotta try it

Still don't know what pone is but I will learn by doing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

The cornbread was the deciding factor for me as well, gotta try it

Still don't know what pone is but I will learn by doing

it's not really a thing that's formally established, but generally speaking corn dodgers and corn pone are when they're formed into balls or patties and fat fried (hush puppies also fall under this designation), which is why for my own recipe there I differentiated it from those because baking as a thin sheet and cutting into portions isn't how it usually goes with the dish

If you're going to fry it, it works well with a neutral fat like lard, but really shines with bacon grease as you may imagine. Cooking some up for the fat to fry and putting diced bacon in with the recipe is a solid choice

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of bread, one future challenge we should definitely do is baking bread.

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday
May 4, 2005

I need to get some corn meal and start messing around, I love cornbread but I was not aware of many of these variations

I usually make buttermilk corn biscuits whenever I fry chicken and that's about it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

I need to get some corn meal and start messing around more, I love cornbread but I was not aware of many of these variations

all of the recipes I've posted also work with Masa, which if you can get it is a bit of a different flavor as the corn meal is treated with lime. It's normally meant for stuff like tortillas and tamales

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

The noodles were probably the most complex coherent dish, and I want to try making it. It makes me want to eat spam, which is impressive.

It was pretty tasty, but be sure to get LITE spam or else it'll be too salty. Seared spam is entirely different from straight-out-the-can spam both in taste and texture and I really like it. I'm thinking of making a spam bahn mi sometime soon with a similar sear+sauce technique.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Back when I ate meat I used to really love that seared spam sushi from Hawaii. Musubi? Perfect amount of carbon and salt to balance the much lighter flavor of the rice.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Musubi is the Goku of the spam universe. Every other good spam dish is pretty much "Musubi, except..."

Spam scotch eggs.... hmm...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

when's the polling period end?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
on the 1st, at the STROKE OF MIDNIGHT :black101:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I vote the voting period continues until my entry has the lead, at which point it should immediately close

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I was going to post the Rowan Atkinson "It's a race, I'm winning!" thing earlier, but I knew it was unlikely to last.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

I was going to post the Rowan Atkinson "It's a race, I'm winning!" thing earlier, but I knew it was unlikely to last.

I was prepared at the start to lose to twoday because his entry is both more creative and more starkly utilitarian than mine, both of which were the primary themes of the contest

that said I still want to win even if I'm not qualified to do so

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
These all look truly revolting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

These all look truly revolting.

thank you