Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's the return of the ADTRW Simulwatch! After many years, we're all going to come together to watch a very special show:

Gallery Fake!

On a wharf on Tokyo Bay is a small gallery named Gallery Fake. The owner of the gallery, Reiji Fujita (藤田 玲司 Fujita Reiji), was once a curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. He was a learned curator with remarkable memory, keen aesthetic sense, great skill in restoration of paintings and knowledge of many languages, so he was called the "Professor". However, because of trouble in the workplace, Fujita was forced to quit the museum. Now he is an art dealer who sells paintings, authentic and fake alike, sometimes at extraordinary prices. His motto is "One without aesthetic sense can't help being cheated out of his money. And by being deceived, one may learn to distinguish real ones from the counterfeit."

However, Fujita is not a villain and has a strong sense of justice. He truly appreciates art and the artists who spent their lives to create it. He does not try to deceive people by selling fake paintings. He will go out of his way to help people in trouble, but also bring justice to politicians, businessmen or art dealers who are dishonest. He often touches the lives of those he encounters and people are attracted to him in spite of his sometimes gruff manner.

In short, this is an anime about art forgery, and the manga it's based off of is so popular in Japan that it won the 1996 Shogakukan Manga Award and Yoshihiro Togashi of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter fame named the power of one of the Phantom Troupe members after it.

As for where to watch it, well, you can probably figure it out, and if you can't, message me and I'll hook you up.

We will watch a single episode every Sunday in order to understand this show in it's original context. Allarion will likely be streaming it and he will hopefully post the details of that when the time comes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZJrm5ztL0

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

spoilers the art? its fake

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Parallax posted:

spoilers the art? its fake

I'm going to lose my poo poo at the episode where the art is real.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'll be here to show off the fake art

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hype

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The art is real.

Edit: Oops.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Man, even the stuff I think of as relatively recent is ancient news nowadays. I really liked this series, but I never got around to rewatching it. This is as good an excuse as any to watch it again I guess.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
2005 was 14 years ago, mate.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if i can get it downloaded i'm interested in watching this but when i checked earlier it was going to take me 3 days :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Classic New York Food

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ep 1 was cool, high stakes art bidding action. The way this show uses split screen is really cool, I like the one where a splitscreen ends right as Fujita's hat blows away and he walks off screen to grab it

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So there's no scheduling here? Just watch whatever, whenever?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

So there's no scheduling here? Just watch whatever, whenever?

Yeah I guess. If there was a set schedule it's more likely for me to fall off and give up. I'm trying for an episode a day but other people have plans to work it into their anime streams. As I understand it is a fairly self contained episodic show so a "watch when you can and discuss it" method seems appropriate and risks less burnout. I can come up with a schedule if that helps you but I won't be following it

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I mean, you do your thing, but the whole point of doing a simulwatch is to have everybody watching the same thing at the same time, so they are all able to discuss the same thing at the same time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

I mean, you do your thing, but the whole point of doing a simulwatch is to have everybody watching the same thing at the same time, so they are all able to discuss the same thing at the same time.

I think just coming together to watch an I sure series at our own pace and talking about what leaps out to us is fine...but I'll.come up with a schedule since that would help set some guidelines I guess.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've discussed the matter with my closest advisors and I have decided that we will watch a single episode every Sunday. Allarion will kindly be streaming it if you don't want to hunt down downloads of a 14 year old fansub show! The OP has been updated to reflect this change.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its going to take you more than half a year to watch this show

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

We've been watching 2 episodes of Pripara per week as part of the idolw@tch for the last 9 months, and well still be watching 9 months from now. Consistent streaming is a powerful tool.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

Your point?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
We'll get a lot of movies done during that time so it'll be good. So for anyone who's been ignoring the livestream thread due to fear of idols, Squark and I have been streaming movies on the weekends for over a year, so Gallery Fake will be slotted before that so the watch schedule should generally be

4:00 pm PST/7:00 EST/11:00 UTC on Sundays, barring me being late or absent due to other circumstances such as grabbing coffee, buying food, busy with life, etc.

In this channel!
https://cytu.be/r/kotori

Also for future reference for any newcomers for any google drive videos, cytube requires a userscript, using either tampermonkey or greasemonkey depending on your browser, so if you wanna set that up beforehand, just click here https://cytu.be/r/alsokotori

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 23, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Other things that have gotten added to moview@tch that I never actually mention but it's basically part of it now:
Cardfight Vanguard
Precure
Detective Conan whenever we fail to have a movie or episodes or etc
possibly more if I had my way and more time and energy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You heard it here: Sundays at 5 P.M. Central Time. Enjoy!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am absolutely not waiting for this to end before starting the k-on simulwatch but I will participate in this

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Reminder that I'm streaming this approximately 4 hours from now alongside other things

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Starting in 7 minutes!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
First episode was interesting. Threw a lot at you right away too so I didn’t quite catch everything that was going on other than high stakes auctioning, but Shonen business transactions seems cool

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, it was interesting. At first I thought there was some convoluted plot at play that I'd missed, but now I'm thinking it was just a simple "gently caress you you don't get to win the haystacks." Definitely down to watch more.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked how the importance of the transaction at the beginning of the episode wasn't really revealed until the end, and how that also confirms that yes, the rumors are true and this guy is a black market art dealer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah this definitely feels like the kind of manga a 40 year old dude'd read on the way to work, which is a fun tone sometimes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Waiting a week between episodes is killing me so I'll throw this out and see what people think: How would two episodes a week work?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This show is awesome. I loved when they played the Gotcha! high stakes jazz cue when he threw a stack of papers containing complex x-ray compositional data at Sayoko

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you want to learn more about Sen no Rikyu and the founding of the tea ceremony, please watch Hyouge Mono

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Streaming in 5 minutes, for

*screenshot not actually from gallery fake*

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
togashi is amazing and that cosign alone got me on board, imma watch 3 episodes since it seems like thats where you'd all be and pray that im on the right episode come sunday

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

togashi is amazing and that cosign alone got me on board, imma watch 3 episodes since it seems like thats where you'd all be and pray that im on the right episode come sunday

We'll start watching two episodes a week this Sunday, starting with episode 3, is the decision that has been reached just now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Starting in half an hour now with the updated 2 episode schedule! https://cytu.be/r/kotori

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh poo poo it's Sunday.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Eps 3 and 4 were pretty cool with high stakes painting restoration and fraud trial

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope we get to see Pietro again, he seems cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
motherfucker takes a bullet and don't give a gently caress