Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

This. I wonder what she’ll say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
This ending feels weird, like we've hit the wind-down following a climax but without the climax. If we're gonna die having failed in our goals I'd rather we just died and that was it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

3, 1

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Maugrim posted:

This ending feels weird, like we've hit the wind-down following a climax but without the climax. If we're gonna die having failed in our goals I'd rather we just died and that was it.

We're still gaining stats so I assume it's leading up to something eventually?

3 1

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
We not sure what it was...

quote:

"Do you think it was Abraxas?"

"I am more interested in what you think, at the moment," the hierophant says.

... and neither is she. But nevertheless, we believe.

quote:

"Yes. I still believe, whether we call it Abraxas or something else."

The hierophant nods in satisfaction. "Good."

The hierophant takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly.

Finally she says, "I have something to tell you. Your experience with the voice. I had it as well."

"You did?" you say, surprised.

"Yes," the hierophant says. "Only, I was surrounded by more credulous people than you. I convinced the people around me that Abraxas did speak to me. I worked miracles in his name, though in retrospect, it was nothing more than 'ordinary' magic, made more powerful by my recklessness.

"One of those people who believed I spoke to Abraxas was the previous hierophant. I made him believe he was a charlatan, since he had never heard the voice of Abraxas himself. Believing I was a real prophet, he passed the hierophant's miter on to me.

"And here is something you do not know. I know of one cure for rot. It is the hierophant's miter. The magics that created it are now lost. But you are protected from rot for as long as it is in your possession, so long as it was freely given to you."

You take a moment to digest this, wondering where it is going. No. That can't be why…

quote:

"Over time, I came to believe it was not Abraxas who spoke to me at all," the hierophant says. "I came to believe it was a delusion of the rot I had been afflicted with. My position was built on a misunderstanding, if not a lie.

"So I became cynical. I was steward of the house of lies. I thought of it as a mere vehicle for keeping society from collapse. I thought I alone, in all the Church, understood truly how alone we are. How we teeter on the brink of the abyss.

"But, in a weak moment, I cast a divination to learn whether there was any person in the world who had had a similar experience to me, or who might yet have such an experience. And I received a vision of you and your friend Hunter Tal, crawling through a tunnel toward an ancient sunken academy."

"That's why you sent that inquisitor after us?" you say, astounded. "And…that's why you offered me sainthood."

The hierophant chuckles humorlessly. "It was a gamble," she admits. "I knew it may not work. There was a very good chance we would not end up where we are. But…I had nothing to lose, and we are here now."

The hierophant takes off her miter, revealing a balding head of gray hair.

"If this passes into your hands, I will die, while you will be protected from rot, so long as you are hierophant," she says. "You and I have the same dubious qualifications for the position. The difference is, you kept your faith in…something. I think perhaps you understand faith better than I."

"Can you just…do this?" you ask. "Isn't there a vote?"

"That is only if I die unexpectedly," the hierophant says. "Otherwise, I choose my successor."

You meet her eyes. She looks as old, tired, and cynical as ever. She looks ready to die. But there is also something in her gaze that pleads with you.

The gnarled and varicose old hands holding the miter tremble.

How do you feel about the hierophant's offer?

1. It's absurd. I'm being chosen on the basis of a hallucination.
2. She'll die if I accept. I can't do that.
3. I'm touched she chose me. I'll try to do right by her.

quote:

What is your response to the hierophant's offer?

1. I refuse. The hierophant should lead the Church, just—better.
2. Accept the miter, but remain a saint instead of becoming hierophant. I can do more good that way.
3. I accept. I will lead the Church as the next hierophant.

How do we feel about the offer and what do we do with it?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

3, 3. This is what we came here for.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kinda a messed up way to become Hierophant, but I guess it's what the game gives us. 3,3!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Santa wouldn't do this! 2, 1.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

anakha posted:

3, 3. This is what we came here for.

gently caress yeah, our constant lying about Faith paid off! 3,3!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

3 and 3.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
3 and 3

The funny thing is that it's kind of a railroad but not actually situation here. In-universe and in-character, I don't see the reason to refuse her. Essentially even if we were a conniving bastard out for ourselves..... taking the miter from her buys us time to actually figure out a more permanent solution less prone to 'oops my hat came off'

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It also works if we are a kind soul to some degree. I can tell from the scene that part of her wants to die and is ready to move on- she probably still feels the pain of rot even though it can't kill her. But she's dedicated enough to her job that she must find a worthy successor first if she can.

She's probably doing the offer differently than another person in the Hierophant role would. If another person can be in it at this point of course (might be the case if we murdered her earlier, though I can't imagine us being a saint or possibly getting the office this way if that happened- could we even be Hierophant in that case or would it cause a schism of some sort?).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a path forward to be Hierophant after killing her. Remember that the option only appears if we're good at Glamour and/or Negation since we have to dispel the glamour first. Being good at Glamour at least would mean that you effectively charm everyone to doing your bidding. Granted that's probably a lot of rot, and you wouldn't even know about the miter bullshit properties at that stage.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Miter bullshit properties wouldn't work for us in that case- remember she said it has to be freely given. Or is she lying? Guess the ability to give passes to the Saints’ vote if she dies unexpectedly. Hope they make a good decision- it shudders me to think of the miter in the hands of some jerk like Jacob who would need to be using Glamour constantly to be Hierophant and be respected/obeyed*.

* I know not everyone shares my opinion of Jacob, just insert your own unfavorable choice of Hierophant here.

If you think about it, the miter is a good way to maintain the Hierophant office. You’d need to be using Glamour a lot as a religious leader and if you’re still rotting while you have it, people can know you’re in the office because of violence or Glamour sponsored coercion. If they know about the miter’s special properties of course.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 10, 2019

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ah yes, finally. We got the true reward of a saint.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We're honored, and we'll do it, though our reasons might be our own.

quote:

I'm touched she chose me. I'll try to do right by her.

You've underestimated the hierophant; you never expected such a selfless act from her. You're not certain you're the best person to lead the Church, but perhaps the hierophant is right, and your crisis of faith has left you in a good position to do so. (Increased Empathy.) (Increased Optimism.) (%+10 Empathy = +3% Empathy) (%+10 Optimism = +3% Optimism)

quote:

I accept. I will lead the Church as the next hierophant.

"Yes," you say. "I'm ready. And thank you."

You slowly take the miter from the hierophant's hands.

All at once, the decades of suppressed rot catch up to the old hierophant, who disintegrates into a pile of gray dust. But you think you caught a glimpse of a smile before she went.

"Go in peace," you say to the dust.

Chapter 9: The Hierophant

Achievement: Hierophant Became hierophant.

Thus passes the mantle.

quote:

The Church is shocked at all levels to learn that someone they considered an outsider—despite your sainthood—was chosen to be the next hierophant. But when you relate the story of the hierophant's own possibly divine instructions, and how she sought you out because you would have the same experience—then they begin to grudgingly accept the hierophant's choice as real, if perhaps not what they would choose.

What lesson do you try to impart to the Church when you describe your own experience with the voice that may or may not have been Abraxas?

1. The value of the Church's teachings is not that they come from Abraxas but that they're good.
2. The Church is ultimately the product of our own minds, and can therefore be questioned.
3. Faith is about not just obeying but also believing in goodness.
4. Abraxas is real; he spoke to me, and I have his blessing.

Achievement: Triumph Survived the resolution of a chapter 8 climax.
Achievement: A Complete Story Reached the resolution of a chapter 8 climax.

What do we want to teach the people?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
3. Believe in Santa.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like 3 as well. I can think of at least one Church minister who would benefit from the lesson.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Abraxas is real, but the merit of the teachings isn't "because Abraxas said so", it's that they are a good way to act.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

4. All Abraxas, all the time.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Have faith and do good.

quote:

Faith is about not just obeying but also believing in goodness.

You use your experience to point out to the Church that your faith was not blind obedience, but an optimistic sense that if there is a higher power, it would not want to do you harm. You encourage the pastors of the Church to think of faith as a whole worldview instead of belief in any specific doctrine.

The House of Flame does not like this one bit, and their pastors argue that it opens the door to anybody doing what they like and claiming that it is good. You'll have to work out these differences later. The House of Sun, on the other hand, finds your message entirely reasonable.

quote:

It occurs to you that you may well now have the power to disperse the Negative Sea once and for all. Would you like to?

1. Yes. Create airships with giant fans to disperse the Sea. (Requires airships and automation.)
Yes. Use negation to disperse the whole Sea. (Requires negation.)
2. No. Keep a barrier between the kingdom and the Magisterian Empire.

What do we do with this great divide?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As Abraxas has declared the world, so let it be.. Do nothing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Moses did it first. 1. Part the Sea!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

1. gently caress the sea (non-sexually)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If we couldn't fix the sky I'll take second best. 1

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I hoped we could fix the sky altogether, but I'll settle for performing a slightly smaller miracle. 1!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fixing the sea might remove the barrier between us and the Neighbors, but it'll also demonstrate that we're not to be messed with. 1

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Let's work a lesser sort of miracle and part some seas.

quote:

Yes. Create airships with giant fans to disperse the Sea. (Requires airships and automation.)

You create airships equipped with giant fans modeled after the ones in Akriton, and have the queen send the fleet up and down the Negative Sea, blowing it into the northern and southern oceans. Crowds begin to gather in the border towns to watch the airships do their work. With every pass, the Negative Sea diminishes. The pilots report that the Sea seems to weaken and disperse as they head to the ocean, so by the time it gets there, there is not much of it left. (Increased Adoration.) (%+10 Adoration = +3% Adoration)

quote:

With the Negative Sea gone, normal trade can resume between the Magisterian Empire and Eirinia. Goods and people begin to flow, and both civilizations begin to believe their differences are not so great after all. (Increased Adoration.) (%+10 Adoration = +3% Adoration)

You attend a gigantic party in Akriton celebrating your achievement: the death clouds are no more!

Who's got a lotta luck? We do!
We never knew what Kris could do!
We just rehearsed this brand-new verse
For all our dreams come true!

Achievement: Reprise Akriton celebrated the end of the Negative Sea.

quote:

You receive reports that the kingdom generally seems to be using magic responsibly; you should nevertheless decide how the kingdom should proceed in regulating the use of magic.

1. Restrict magic to just the saints, as before.
2. Make magic illegal without permission from the crown.
3. Increase magical education so these dabblers learn the risks.
4. Do nothing; a little experimentation is healthy.

How do we treat magic from now on?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
4 Santa has faith the kids will play with his toys nicely

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Trust but verify and all that.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Santa can see when you're naughty after all so why restrict it?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

3. Magical education is important. Particularly given past experiences with glamours.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We're not sure how much of a handle we want to put on things, but the coin flip says a little education goes a long way.

quote:

Increase magical education so these dabblers learn the risks.

At your suggestion, small magic academies that can explore the risks of magic appear in most major towns.

It turns out students can be exceptionally reckless with magic, and these academies are often the sites of terrible accidents. But you're optimistic that such academies will be beneficial in the long term.

quote:

Eventually, Queen Thecla finds her soul mate in Tal, who is every bit the knight that Thecla wished to have at her side when she was young. The two marry in an elaborate wedding at the palace. Tal becomes everyone's favorite dashing hero.

Then, when the couple adopts a daughter, Tal becomes everyone's favorite royal mother; Tal handles that aspect while Thecla continues to rule. Noodles is made First Monkey to the Princess, and Tal teaches from an early age that princesses can fight and have adventures, too.

Tal decides to settle down in the capital, and starts a career as a children's puppeteer. Puppeteer Tal learns a bit of automation magic, enough that she can animate Noodles herself, and entertains the children of nobles with her silly imaginary adventures with Noodles. On the sly, she then performs the same shows in the less reputable parts of the capital, for free.

Tal learns just enough automation magic to animate Noodles whenever she likes, which is fairly often. Noodles leads a full monkey life that includes developing his surreal painting skills and playing in a weekly card game with other stuffed animals from around the capital—including Bear Bearson, whose admiration for Noodles is strictly platonic.

Queen Thecla gradually becomes a powerful sorceress in her own right, learning negation magic in particular. After the first time she obliterates an assassin with a negation spell, the intrigue at court dies down dramatically.

Sam remains a saint, traveling from town to town healing and dispensing advice.

Cos continues to be mayor of Akriton, enthusiastically adopting magic whenever it seems it would help the people. His board game about being mayor remains in flux, since every magical addition to the town requires new rules and pieces in the game. You think the game is getting pretty good, though.

You hear that your golem now works in the basement library of the Cathedral, helping to translate the more obscure works there.

Achievement: Queen's Knight Queen Thecla married Tal.

Looks like our friends are doing well.

quote:

Your automated factories continue to produce airships and small conveniences of all kinds, and they have yet to show much sign of producing the disaster you feared in the skies above—although, every once in a while there is a flash flood or powerful lightning strike that makes you wonder whether the weather is getting worse. On the whole, the people of the kingdom seem to enjoy having little conveniences like the piconegator, that rediscovered device of the ancients that quickly heats food by blasting it with negative energy. And why shouldn't they? (Increased Adoration.) (%+10 Adoration = +3% Adoration)

quote:

You're in the hierophant's office in the Cathedral, preparing a speech at your desk for the new graduating class of inquisitors.

Your next training will be at the university, where you will learn magic, you write. You will need all the tools you can get, because you will no longer hunt wizards but evil. And that takes many guises.

The room turns cold. You look behind you, and there is a specter.

The specter is made of roiling black fire, and two deep blue orbs shine as eyes.

I am Abraxas.

Oh.

quote:

The rasping voice is cool and collected. It has an accent that is difficult to place—perhaps that of one who has lived two thousand years.

"You are wrong if you think I am merely a figment of your imagination. Look, I am real."

"I see," you say, wondering what the old shade wants from you.

"Cleanse the sky. Perish if you must. This is a far greater task than anything else you could do on earth." Sensing your hesitation, it adds, "It is the machines of the world that are the greatest threat to its spirit. You might end their reign of terror over the human heart."

1. "Yes, Abraxas." I cast an automation spell to clear the skies.
"Is that your only form, or are you…larger?"

quote:

"This is my only form," Abraxas says. "But my divinations are powerful enough to reach anyone. It is as close to omniscience as anyone has ever been."
"Do you want me to die?"

quote:

"Do you want me to die?" you ask.

"Not particularly."
2. "You are no longer needed here, Abraxas. Sleep."
3. "Your time has ended." Channel negation to rend Abraxas apart.

We have a visitor. What do we do?

quote:

Hierophant Kris

Appearance

A rugged, adventurous man with an enormous beard wearing a white saint's cowl

Magic
Negation 9
Automation 19
Glamor 15
Divination 9
Vivomancy 7

Skills
Ancient History: 5 (Good)
Fighting: 4 (Good)
Subtlety: 4 (Good)
Charisma: 13 (Amazing)

Personality
Optimism: 73% Caution: 27%
Humor: 45% Solemnity: 55%
Empathy: 73% Calculation: 27%

Relationships
Romances (Interested in men and women)
None

Tal: 78 (Great)
Cos: 71 (Great)
Sam: 82 (Great)
Thecla: 82 (Great)
Church: 57 (Good)
Undiscovered relationships: 1

Kingdom
Kingdom Power: 5 (Decent)

Adoration: 76% Vilification: 24%

Inventory
Gold: 520 gold
Sword
Bracers of Stealth
Charisma Ring
Alchemy Set
Torc of Life and Death
Antidivination Ring
Crystal Ball
Golem Manual
Hierophant's Miter

Students
Blessed Sam

Pets
None

The Dead
Nobody

Plot Points
Chapter 1

You and Tal stumbled on an ancient magic academy.
You discovered a book of vivomancy, and an inquisitor chased you.
You found an ancient dueling ground.
You glamored yourself and ordered the inquisitor to leave and never report you.
You explored the academy library.
A divination revealed a potential ally in the form of a golem, so you took a manual on the operation of golems from the library.
You gained control of the golem.
You found a laboratory with a trapped specter.
You saw a vision of someone else becoming a specter and betraying the trapped specter.
You befriended the specter, who offered you gifts.
You freed the specter.
You went around the back way into the auditorium.
You retrieved the rings of the lead actor.
You went around the back way into the arena.
The fire from the dragon's breath began to consume the academy.
You rescued a dragon egg from the ancient airship that you used to drill your way out of the ancient academy.
You escaped the magic academy and headed for your hometown of Akriton.

Chapter 2

You flew up the coast of the Negative Sea back to Akriton.
Saint Ann, who seemed to be dying, told you that you might become hierophant, or a saint, or you might heal the sky.
You made your parents think your finds in the academy were purely of historical interest.
You stopped a thief who stole from Fruitseller Fran.
You saved a little girl by animating a gargoyle.
You saved an old man by animating his bed.
You saved a swineherd from the death cloud.
You agreed to hunt a dodecapede with Tal.
You went to Cos's place to play a board game.
You and Tal beheaded the dodecapede.
You sneaked around Banker Sara's place.
You had Banker Sara arrested for her role as leader of the antishapeshifter group, the Twilight Band.
Mayor Cos publicly declared you Automator Kris.
You heard a pair of inquisitors had come to town.

Chapter 3

Two inquisitors came to your door: the more aggressive Blessed Jacob, and the kinder Blessed Sam.
An old man intervened, claiming you weren't home.
You cast a divination and learned the old man was Mayor Cos, shapeshifted.
The inquisitors discovered that Cos was a shapeshifter.
You offered to go peacefully with the inquisitors.
Blessed Sam asked you to heal his pet dragon, Thomas.
You agreed and healed Sam's dragon.
You offered to teach Sam vivomancy, and he agreed.

Chapter 4

You rode to the capital in a wagon with Sam and Jacob.
While Sam and Jacob fought, you waited patiently to be presented to the hierophant.
You and Sam became saints.

Chapter 5

You briefly returned to Akriton to prepare for sainthood.
You turned over all your magical items to the Church.
You traveled to the town of Bonton.
Many people came for advice, among them a couple wondering whether they should move to the capital for the woman's hat-selling career.
You advised the couple to divorce.
You discovered Bonton has a working copper tree for protecting the town from lightning.
You had the tree dismantled for your own study.
You encountered a fledgling wizard named Pir in Bonton.
You turned Pir over to the inquisitors.
Sam motivated you to work harder and be a better saint.
You remained a faithful saint until you were named the queen's blessed advisor.

Chapter 6

You returned to the capital, summoned by the queen for an interview.
You became blessed advisor for the queen.
You moved into the royal palace.
The Church returned all your items.
The hierophant told you she had a vision that the Neighbors would invade, and she wanted you to help modernize the kingdom without going too far.
You recommended using automation as the main way to modernize the kingdom's industry and military.
You told the queen glamors were not worth the health risks.
Over dinner, the queen told you a story of a glass princess, and you incorrectly guessed the glass princess slew the witch and stole her magic.
Over dinner with Tal and the queen, you learned of the queen's childhood stuffed animal, Bear Bearson.
You animated Bear Bearson, and he defeated Royal Guard Tam in combat, delighting the queen.
Your power plants and factories came online without a problem.
A book you bought confirmed your suspicion that automation magic would cease to exist if the Eternal Storm went away.
You learned from a book that negative burn and rot cancel each other out.
Cos revealed a penchant for piloting.
You chose not to augment the entertainment industry with magic.
A visit to your mother turned deadly when she turned out to be a shapeshifter, who attacked you with a knife.
Your mother recalled the shapeshifter was Fruitseller Fran.
Your mother's house was destroyed by a Magisterian bombardment.
You told the queen you would try to negotiate for peace.

Chapter 7

You were brought before the high magister, who interviewed you in front of the Magisterian Senate.
You nearly lost consciousness on the trip home, thanks to rot.
You convinced the Magisterian Senate to opt for peace.
You made some progress on a cannon that would eradicate the Eternal Storm.
An attack of rot left you bedridden for a month.

Chapter 8

Rot finally began to kill you, and you were taken to the Cathedral.
You asked that your parents be invited to visit you.
You asked that Tal be invited to visit you.
You asked that Cos be invited to visit you.
You asked to see Queen Thecla.
Blessed Jacob paid you a visit.
A voice awakened you and called on you to have faith in it.
You cast a glamor and shouted a message of faith from the top of the Cathedral.
Sam rid you of the voice using a spell to cure delusions.
You ultimately chose not to sacrifice yourself in the way the voice demanded.
Tal visited you and cried.
Your parents visited you.
Cos visited you, and told you that what you experienced with the voice was a psychotic break.
The hierophant visited you.
The hierophant revealed she had a similar experience with a voice commanding her, and she became hierophant by convincing others that the voice was Abraxas.
The hierophant revealed she had become aware of you by casting a divination to find someone else who might have had a similar experience.
The hierophant offered you her miter, its protection from rot, and the office of hierophant itself.
You accepted the miter and the title of hierophant.

Chapter 9

As hierophant, you tried to emphasize goodness over obedience.
Thecla and Tal married.
Tal decided to become a puppeteer.
Queen Thecla became a powerful sorceress.
Sam remained a traveling saint.
Cos continued to be mayor and to develop his board game about Akriton.
Abraxas came to you and ordered you to cleanse the sky.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Kris is probably the one of the more specific possible characters that can even accomplish this. So let's see it. 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hi, Abraxas! Our stats dictate it's time to fix the sky.